Pre purchase inspector

Aouli

I don't have any experience with inspection companies,

but some here will tell you that they aren't very good;

that their training isn't good, their knowledge is limited,

and their conclusions sometimes incorrect.

As Mr. 1950Panhead noted above, what type of car is it?

Also, where in Colorado?  If you definitely can't look 

at it yourself, a knowledgeable car-club member is

the next best thing.  Maybe there is someone from

AACA, or a specialized marque club, who can be

contacted and who will look at it for you if you pay

for his time and expenses.

If the car is, for example, a 1960's Buick Riviera, the best thing

would be a member of the Buick Club of America or the

Riviera Owners' Association who knows cars like that.

Or if it's a 1910's brass-era car, that's an entirely different

specialty. 

Alternatively, a $300 plane ticket for yourself is very cheap

insurance that the car is what you expect. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the reply! I’m interested in a 65 K10. I’m hoping to find someone that knows these trucks. A car club member would be great

im doing business through Classic Car deals with limited info.Anyone have experience with them ? I’m in Hawaii. Kind of a long distance 

I read of a fellow hired to inspect a Jag  in California  for a purchases. Got a report back the car was not worth the money so he took the appraisers word and passed on it. The fellow seen it for sale again but this time by the appraiser.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aouli said:

...I'm doing business through Classic Car deals with limited info.  Anyone have experience with them?...

"Classic Car Deals" has been discussed on our forum

previously, and people, at the minimum, did not think

that they brought any useful service to the old-car transaction.

At least when this was discussed a few years ago, the same

vehicle could be found for sale elsewhere for less--so Classic

Car Deals was evidently marketing cars, with or without owners'

permission, just so they could add on a commission for themselves!

Look at a photo from C.C.D.  Then, do a Google Images search

for that same picture.  (You can actually input that picture, and

Google Images will show you all the places on the internet where

that same picture has been used.)  You may find that picture

used by the legitimate seller in a different ad--and without

Classic Car Deals' added-on markup.  In those other ads, you

may be able to contact the seller directly.

Here is the previous thread where we discussed the topic:

• Like 3

I’ve heard good and bad about these people. Thank you for sharing this information with me. I’ve been trying to locate the real owner but I haven’t had any luck. CCD must be making huge profit off of other people’s automobiles. Not even consignment 

I’ve heard good and bad about these people. Thank you for sharing this information with me. I’ve been trying to locate the real owner but I haven’t had any luck. CCD must be making huge profit off of other people’s automobiles. Not even consignment 

1965 Chevrolet trucks are common, several are listed on ebay, look at those.

Post your motivation, why this specific truck, you may get some good advice.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Chevrolet+truck&LH_TitleDesc=0&modelval=K10+Pickup&makeval=Chevrolet&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500&UF_single_selection=Make%3AChevrolet%2CModel%3ATruck&UF_context=finderType%3AVEHICLE_FINDER&_sacat=6001&_stpos=49006&_fspt=1&Model%20Year=1965

Spend the money on a plane ticket instead. No inspector is as good as you are at determining what you want. NONE of them will do any of the tests that you think they will and most are woefully under-qualified to look at vintage vehicles. They are not experts, they are not certified, they're just guys with some spare time and a car they can drive to look at other cars. We've had appliance repair men, a high school principal, a shop teacher, a taxi dispatcher, a college student, an electrician, and a retired police officer come to look at cars for us. None were experts on cars and did little more than photograph any chips in the paint they could find. No compression tests, no leak down tests, no oil analysis, nothing that you might think was important. Just a list of every flaw they could find. I especially enjoyed how one of our most recent inspectors claimed on his report "ball joints leaking oil." LOL.

Also, don't use AAG; it's a known scam.

Plane ticket. Personal visit. Be sure. Period.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jubilee said:

Where in Colorado is pickup located? I see a couple for sale on the front range.

CCD won’t tell me exactly where until I give him a refundable deposit. Then I can do a pre-purchase inspection. 

what website is that?

HAD INSPECTOR COME HERE FOR 39 FORD PANEL- HE KNEW NOTHING. HE WAS ASKING ME FOR INFO, BECAUSE OF HIS LACK OF INFO.

IN THE END, WAS ONLY A PLOY BY THE BUYER TO GET IT FOR LESS. TOLD BUYER HE WASTED HIS MONEY.

YES, SMOKE WAS COMING FROM THE PHONE LINE............

same happens in house inspections- people pay 350 and expect to save 40k on the purchase price.

ask for a 100 photos if not flying in.

• Like 2

Aouli that is a fly by night company just to rip people off. Like somebody selling you a kit to go to heaven. The first thing to do is to educate your self as to what you want to buy  Check  list ;  availability of parts , cost of parts and age of car/truck. Read up as much as you can on the particular car/truck. Talk to people who owns one. Do you want a trailer queen ?  Do you want something to go  cruising at reasonable speeds. Most GM trucks are easy to work on   and modify the brakes from single master cylinder to dual and disc brakes. Do you want a turn key or one to restore? You have the best resource in the world at you finger tips. THE COMPUTER. Use it. contact clubs and talk to members . I never yet met a old car guy who ignored questions and refuse to give advice. The friendlies bunch. This hobby has morphed into a frenzy feeding business by unscrupulous bunch trying to skim hobyist.  WHEREVER THERE IS A HEARD OF DEER THE HYENERS ARE JUST WITHIN REACH.  If you like PM me and I will give you a number to call. Nice guy to talk to.

• Like 1

Some things to watch out for in  GM trucks ; small back window is not the best (lower price) Curved windshield , Hard to find replacement. Coil spring front end is better. than leaf springs .Step side short box with the spare on the side is nice

Cheers and have a merry Christmas and happy new year . I am off this forum from tonight until next year.  

• Like 1

Matt is correct.........airfare is cheap, and Colorado is easy to get in and out of at the airport.......go look yourself.

Inspectors are only trying to do 2 things. Take your money and exclude themselves from any responsibility. I have only seen a handful of inspectors that are any good. But even they work for companies that write a report that makes an AACA Senior winner seem like a hopeless salvage project. Go look for yourself. Don't waste the money on the inspector who may upset your seller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aouli said:

CCD won’t tell me exactly where until I give him a refundable deposit. Then I can do a pre-purchase inspection. 

That is a huge red flag!  Do not send them any money.  If they will not be upfront with where the vehicle is located you have to question if it even exists.  You are bound to met with all kinds of excuses of the vehicle has been moved, that time won't work etc etc.  If they sent you pictures do a google search and see if you find that same truck listed someplace else.  Just my 2 cents but from my previous career you'll be better off finding something else.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, trini said:

Some things to watch out for in  GM trucks ; small back window is not the best (lower price) Curved windshield , Hard to find replacement. Coil spring front end is better. than leaf springs .Step side short box with the spare on the side is nice

Cheers and have a merry Christmas and happy new year . I am off this forum from tonight until next year.  

trini, thanks for all the advice. I very much appreciate it. I see a lot of vehicles being advertised by them. Thank you and Happy holidays 

Just checked airfares. Buyer is in Hawaii & car in Colorado, so I did Hilo to Denver in January. Fares run from a little over $1000 to almost $2000. It has been mentioned numerous times on this and other threads that airfare is cheap. Cheap is a relative word when you consider vehicle cost, budget of potential buyer, & economic situation of potential buyer. To someone looking at or selling 40, 50, 75, or $100,000+ vehicles, then spending a thousand or two to fly in and look at a vehicle is chump change. Chances are if they are looking to buy something in that price range, the 1 or 2 grand for airfare is a drop in the bucket to their economic situation. To a blue collar person, it may not & probably isn't the same. Their case dictates being more careful with their money, so they would have more to consider than just "hop on a plane & go see it for yourself." Some options could be trying to find an inspector as this guy is doing(doesn't sound like anyone here likes that idea), looking for and at something closer to home(probably not a lot to choose from in Hawaii), or finding someone that would look at the vehicle just to help him out. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this last option. I would think the AACA is big enough an spread across the nation enough that there must be a member or several out in Colorado that could help. If not, does anyone have contacts out there? Is anyone heading that way in the near future that may have time to help? I would, but I have to go hop on a plane. I'm looking at a car in Timbuktu. It's a '49 Chevy for $5000.

49 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

I would think the AACA is big enough an spread across the nation enough that there must be a member or several out in Colorado that could help. If not, does anyone have contacts out there? 

George, thanks for the research.  Wow, airfare is 

expensive to and from Hawaii!  That changes the equation

quite a bit.  I wonder whether Mr. Aouli has checked

into the cost to SHIP a car to Hawaii:  That might be

unexpectedly high as well.

The difficulty at this point is that the supposed dealer

won't even tell him where in Colorado the car is located.

It's a big state, so knowing the town makes a difference.

If I were Mr. Aouli, I would give up on Classic Car Deals--

and either locate the same example directly, or find

another example;  and check shipping costs too.

I like dealing directly with honest long-time owners.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Some options could be trying to find an inspector as this guy is doing(doesn't sound like anyone here likes that idea), looking for and at something closer to home(probably not a lot to choose from in Hawaii)

I don't know how much things have changed since 2005 in HI but we stayed on Maui for our Honeymoon for 2 weeks.  Rented a private small house overlooking the ocean instead of going the resort route.   I was surprised the number of old cars I saw.  Being an old car guy I also found a local trader and there were alot of them for sale ,  many at what seemed like reasonable prices.   

Most were in pretty good shape as well.  Seems as long as they had a roof,  even a car port over them they survived quite well.  I remember a 49-51 Dodge Roadster sitting in front of a store as a decoration with no top on it or even bows but the outer body looked surprisingly nice and it had been there quite some time. I imagine of course the floors had to have been toast.  I'll have to dig out the wedding album,  half full of old car photos ;) 

On a side note,  we did alot of driving though there aren't alot of huge interstates and managed to put 1000 miles on a rental car in 2 weeks.  Of course we opted for a Conv't.  There were even lots of old cars in our neighborhood and along our morning walking route. 

There was a cruise in at a retro diner as well but somehow found out the day after about it and it was only once a month I believe. 

I was on the other side of the inspector thing.

When my neighbor died I offered to store the 65 300 until the estate could be dealt with.

The car was left to a daughter, but the brother was offended that he didn't get it. And the daughter wanted me to end up with it, which I did. The brother was not left out as he got a couple of 300s himself. He just wanted all of them.

He sent three different guys to inspect the car in the year and a half that I had it in my warehouse.

None of those three guys knew anything about cars and should not have been in the business.

I think they were hired to try to boost up the value of this one and devalue the older ones, which were cross ram cars.

I run into him on occasion at the shows and at this point there are no hard feelings.

• Like 1