1 Car Garage for Storage close to Hershey

55 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Any chance you can move the building to Long Island, if so, I'll take it. That garage would go for about $300 in my area.

If he can't move the building,  maybe the

car collector can move!  Actually, in this area,

$45 to $75 is much more typical.  One friend

rents a vacant garage bay from an elderly neighbor

and pays $25 a month;  another club member

rents space for 30 cars and pays the equivalent

of about $30 per car per month.

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

Any chance you can move the building to Long Island, if so, I'll take it. That garage would go for about $300 in my area.

Costs may be high in your area but at least you have impossible traffic, sky high taxes, looong commutes, crowded everything, crime and corruption. Count your blessings............Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The last time I saw those numbers for garage rentals on Long Island was in the 70s', I was paying $35. Bhigdog and John, believe me, if it wasn't for my two grand daughters, I would have been out of here long ago. Oh you forgot, some of the highest energy costs in the nation!

Bhigdog the whole of long island is not what you list what you perceive it is. Some sections , yes, but to label the entire 100 plus long mile area? Really?

Another generalization based on what is reported in various "news" sources, which like some opinions here are based on fact, maybe, sort of...........

Yes, I rent a garage here as well - two car, $225 per month, and am a 30 minute train ride east of  NY City.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Bhigdog the whole of long island is not what you list what you perceive it is. Some sections , yes, but to label the entire 100 plus long mile area? Really?

Another generalization based on what is reported in various "news" sources, which like some opinions here are based on fact, maybe, sort of...........

Yes, I rent a garage here as well - two car, $225 per month, and am a 30 minute train ride east of  NY City.

Of course you are correct. I used to get to islip with some regularity but that was 20 years ago. Even then i knew i never would want to live there for any number of reasons. 

Understand i,ve lived in a tural area for the last 60 years and that colors my view point. If i came from the bronx islip would likely seem a garden spot.

Albeit a crowded, expensive, stressful garden spot.......bob

10 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

We have a customer on Long Island. Costs us over $100 in tolls every time we send a pickup and trailer up there from PA. $30 just to cross the GW bridge. 

I wonder if a regular Hershey vendor who lives a fair distance away would want to rent it to store his inventory.  $1320 per year might not appear so bad considering the price of fuel and highway tolls, especially when towing a heavy trailer each way.

Craig

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

If he can't move the building,  maybe the

car collector can move!  Actually, in this area,

$45 to $75 is much more typical.  One friend

rents a vacant garage bay from an elderly neighbor

and pays $25 a month;  another club member

rents space for 30 cars and pays the equivalent

of about $30 per car per month.

I "rent" one side of a 2 1/2 car garage from a elderly widow lady in my old neighborhood. Year round free rental for winter snow blowing. And she has an 8hp Ariens snowblower and shovels so nothing to take over...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Costs may be high in your area but at least you have impossible traffic, sky high taxes, looong commutes, crowded everything, crime and corruption. Count your blessings............Bob

It is one of the highest income areas in the US, so it is going to attract a lot of people. Compound that with the largest amount of public coastline you are going to attract a lot of people.  Many of your observations are correct, but not much crime, (after all Nassau County has the highest paid police force in the country)  in NYC Borough's yes there is crime. Corruption is everywhere they just happen to make a lot of movies and TV shows about NEW YORK CITY, not long Island.  I had enough of living here and I would be gone if I could get my wife to go. I have owned a house in Florida for the past 8 years, and live there about 7 months a year

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, padgett said:

Isn't that toll on the GW in one direction only ? (New Jersey, the only state you have to pay to leave...)

Yes you pay going into NYC from NJ, but you are paying for your return as well. Pulling a trailer on and off Long Island , the GW is only one toll, still got to pay another $30 for the Throggs Neck, both ways!

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

John, unfortunately i will be spending too much time in your area again so please do your best to get rid of the traffic for me.  I would appreciate the help!  Hey, you did offer your help before, right? 

Yes my help is available

23 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Had a friend who operated a towing service on the NJ Turnpike for 30 years. When he retired he said he was moving to a place where he could not even hear an interstate. He moved to North Western Maine.  He needed a tall antenna just to get static on his TV.

On Dish or Direct TV ?

Then, there is always Hughes Net, if all else fails.

The name of this topic is listed as 1 Car Garage for Storage Close to Hershey , yet it seems that few commented on that availability or even just available garages.

the theme now is how totally terrible, traffic congested, expensive , crime ridden ??? etc it is to live on, get to or get off long island. Hey everyone have we lost focus here? Or is it just another

place to vent how bad things can be , especially on long island.😯

Please consider that the western tip of long island is two boroughs of New York City , you have to go through them ( unless you are taking a ferry over from Ct. across long island sound)

and the City and possibly the State "powers that be" set the tolls and other related costs. Is this the fault of the whole of long island?  BAD BAD place huh!

There are 5 AACA regions on long island , guess by the comments that anyone who would even consider attending one of their functions would put their wallet, health, old car  etc in dire peril.

But yet there was a very successful Glidden tour on long island in about 1981 - people had to get to eastern long island to attend that and did.

Interesting perspective that a lot of people have about a place that 1) they never have visited 2) Have visited but perhaps like other cites and places st the wrong times ( rush hours etc)

I am not stating or promoting that long island is a care free, low cost , Valhalla to visit or reside in but it seems like a lot of negativity going on here under a topic listed that has nothing to do with the area, yes, no ?

• Like 2

Restorer32 also consider clients from the "Gold Coast" north shore of long island in Nassau County , places like Old Brookville, Muttontown, Oyster Bay Cove and Locust Valley ( which my buddy Austin Clark used to call Low Cost Valley" just because it wasn't low cost.) 

"they talk funny" - hey guys that was Brooklyn, and lower east side in New York in the 1940s movies - the Dead End Kids. Youse goys are showin youse age. 😊 Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall where are ya when we need ja???  But remember that Ray Dietrich and Tom Hibbard were from Brooklyn Heights too............................... Hiz Tow Ree lesson over for today.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall where are ya when we need ja???

Those guys were great.... use to watch them Sunday mornings !  My parents seen Huntz Hall at Bear Mountain ( near West Point Military ) years ago, watching the ski jumps.

Steve

• Like 2

Yes we are neighbors! I am in Floral Park, in the west end right up against the north border of Belmont Park race track.

The Piano exchange place north of the city of GC on your way to Low Cost Valley started life as a Pontiac - Oakland dealership and eventually became a Cadillac dealer.  J.P. Morgan got the franchise for Pontiac-Oakland for the fellow that owned the dealership because he ( name was Paddison) was Morgan's chauffeur and took a bullet for Morgan back in the mid 1920s , in appreciation Morgan got him the dealership. It later became a Cadillac dealer in the early 1930s, eventually relocated to Greenvale ,NY.  I have a picture of that dealership building ca. 1926 with Pontiac and Oaklands in the showroom.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, 1 Car Garage for Storage said:

For Rent: 1 Car Garage for Storage. Close to Hershey,  located in Hummelstown Borough. 
Alley access, concrete floor. Dimensions: 23’ deep, 7’ high door access, 8’10” door width.

$110/month. Call Jon at 717-512-6117. Email at jon4948@gmail.com

86D98279-C060-499A-BC4E-5624CCB37364.jpeg

0C4664CA-E339-486F-BBCA-0E4A8D278ECE.jpeg

Sorry your post was hi-jacked from the get go.  Matter of fact I think it has to be the record holder for being ruined as it is on Page 2 now.  You posted a legitimate question and not one response I have read is remotely on topic to assist you unless you care about rental costs in the NY area not remotely close to Hummelstown / Hershey, PA.  I believe you would be best served to re-post closer to the Fall Meet in Hershey for temporary renting or local newspapers for long term renting.

Peter J.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Sorry your post was hi-jacked from the get go.  Matter of fact I think it has to be the record holder for being ruined as it is on Page 2 now.

"Hi-jacked".  "Ruined".  

By what measure?  The OP was viewed by 555 people so far. The OP indicated he wanted a response by telephone. That was logical since it was a business offer. He may well have gotten many inquiries, by phone.

Since the OP is not interested in a forum discussion it was D O A.

So...... far from "hi-jacking" and "ruining" the thread the responders have actually breathed life into it. So far 28 folks over 2 pages, (29 counting you,) have kept the thread alive and near the top of the forum with wit, interest, and light banter. 

Not only has the thread been entertaining it's helped the OP towards his goal.

A Hell of a lot more fun than endless "BTT" posts..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

:lol:   It's funny how threads often diverge from their

original topic.  This could be retitled,

"Pennsylvania Garage for Rent;  Or, Life on Long Island!"   

That's why it's called a "thread". It's only part of what's woven together to make an interesting and useful fabric of information. Vive diversion and discussion..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3