getting around at Hershey

aspares

I see that you can rent a scooter at the Hershey meet if you have a handicap document. I have resisted getting one as I a can get from the grocery store parking lot to the store with no problem. Walking endless miles at Hershey has become impossible for me. Is there anyway to rent one without having a handicap document? I can walk about one mile with only slight problems but beyond that is really a serious problem for me. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, please DO NOT try to drive your scooter between cars. Park and get off and walk over to look. In the last 10 years of showing cars in the car corral, we have had two (only two?) incidents with a cart person damaging a car because he insisted on driving his cart between the cars.

THAT is why you should have insurance. In one case, the guy just shrugged and drove away, and in the other the guy said he would pay for the damage and gave me a fake phone number. DO NOT BE THAT GUY. I will be carrying a sharpened stick for wayward cart guys this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, aspares said:

I am aware of the bus shuttles but do they have golf cart shuttles to get from one field to the other?

You should be able to drive the scooter between the fields, they all have decent access except when you go over the bridge, but there's still a ramp that's somewhat accessible. It's a bottleneck, but you should be able to navigate it.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

You should be able to drive the scooter between the fields, they all have decent access except when you go over the bridge, but there's still a ramp that's somewhat accessible. It's a bottleneck, but you should be able to navigate it.

I'm fairly sure you could take a scooter through the car corral to get from Chocolate to Green if you don't want to take the bridge. 

Bob 

do I recall  correctly:   That the rental scooters are to be returned EACH  evening at 5 PM  and picked up at 8 AM so they can be charged over night?

Do we know the exact location where the scooter site is located, may affect ability to comply with rules.

I dont want to beat a dead horse on this but...

I attend many vintage race events and they have many golf carts with drivers that hold 6 people or so and they drive around dropping people off in different paddocks,  the food area and different locations around the track saving you miles of walking . This really cuts down on every single person having a cart. So what I really would like to know, is this something that happens at Hershey? If they had several carts picking up people from one field and you wanted to see a vendor 3 fields away they could then drop you off at that field. This would save miles of walking for those not legally handicapped but just want to get around to certain venders in different but widely spaced fields, or even to the food area or back to their field. They would not stop at exact vendor location just at the beginning and or end of each field. Is this happening at Hershey?

The thing with Hershey is that every single row has dozens, maybe hundreds of vendors, and there might be several hundred rows in each field and there are five or six fields plus two (perhaps three, depending on how you look at it) distinct areas for the car corral. Each row is clogged with pedestrians wandering slowly and aimlessly like zombies until they see something they are interested in, and then they suddenly veer across the paths of everyone else to chase their prize. Until you've been there it's hard to understand the sheer magnitude and insanity of it. They would need a few hundred 6-person carts running all day, slowly navigating through the throngs of people, wagons, push carts, wheeled baskets, shopping carts, and other wheeled detritus used to move parts around. It simply isn't practical to have any kind of mini shuttle system like you describe. They do have shuttles that will move you from field to field and to the major attractions in the Hershey general area, but being more specific than a field is very problematic, particularly for an event that essentially costs nothing and is entirely staffed and organized by volunteer members of a local car club. 

Once you get there you'll understand. Until then, I'm sorry it's frustrating. And quite honestly, I don't think there's anything that can be done to cut down on the number of carts--I get the distinct impression that many cart users (not you) are using carts simply because they can, not because they have to. You will see a great many able-bodied men my age (<50) riding around on carts simply because it's faster than walking.

• Like 1

If the six passenger golf carts at Lime Rock are the ones you are referring to I've ridden them and it does save on walking, I'm 68 years old in fine health BUT Hershey is 1,000 times the size of Lime Rock. I'll be pushing my three wheel cart Tuesday through Friday, don't have time to wait around for cart service. Years ago when they had the White Field  across the street from the Chocolate Field the police would hold the crowds at either side of the cross walk with a long rope, maybe 15-20 people wide and 6-8 deep. When  one Cop stopped traffic the others dropped the ropes and the crowds changed street sides. It was the closest you could ever get to experiencing a full charge at the Battle of Gettysburg.  

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1