Buick Opel?

Xander Wildeisen

Lessee car made of unobtainium that is missing parts, was boring to begin with, is rusty, and has no title. What's not to like ?

Opel GT is a neat car, only one I know of with mechanical hidden headlamps.

Opel 1900 dominated SCCA SSS class in early '70s.

Cad Catera (now Catera Touring Sedan or CTS) began as an Opel. Gas filler on passenger side is a sign of a European car,(are others).

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

those are two entirely different marques.

Like a Chevrolet is different than a Pontiac. Opel was part owned by GM, GM of Europe or such. Then later, GM brought over rebadged Opels with domestic names, not as an Opel, but Cadillac, Saturn, and Buick. Seems GM sold their interest in Opel in 2017.

Then there is the Isuzu connection in 1976 (?), then it was a Opel by Isuzu and then badged Buick Opel up to 1979. Yep, aka the Holden Gemini.

42 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Like a Chevrolet is different than a Pontiac. Opel was part owned by GM, GM of Europe or such. Then later, GM brought over rebadged Opels with domestic names, not as an Opel, but Cadillac, Saturn, and Buick. Seems GM sold their interest in Opel in 2017.

Then there is the Isuzu connection in 1976 (?), then it was a Opel by Isuzu and then badged Buick Opel up to 1979. Yep, aka the Holden Gemini.

But it was still sold as the 'I-Mark' after 1979 at Isuzu dealerships.

Craig

I have a friend who owns two Opel Manta Rallyes, one of which he bought new in 1973. I keep trying to get the juices flowing, so he will bring it out. It wouldn't take much to get it back on the road. They are seldom seen, I only know of two people in the Seattle area who carry the torch for these. My friend can quote chapter and verse on why they are special, but why it has not translated into positive action, I just don't know.

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I have a friend who owns two Opel Manta Rallyes, one of which he bought new in 1973. I keep trying to get the juices flowing, so he will bring it out. It wouldn't take much to get it back on the road. They are seldom seen, I only know of two people in the Seattle area who carry the torch for these. My friend can quote chapter and verse on why they are special, but why it has not translated into positive action, I just don't know.

They are really great looking cars for the period.  I used to pass a Buick dealer on the way to work each day, when I saw the Manta in the showroom window I stopped to check it out and really liked it.  As a stubborn Chevy guy I would up buying a Chevelle instead of the Manta.  In hindsight the Manta probably would have been the better car.

General Motors bought the German Opel car company in the late 1920s. They made cars for sale in Germany and other European countries. When small European cars were a fad, in the late fifties, GM brought some Opels to the US and sold them thru Buick dealers. This more or less came to an end when they got the compact Buick Special in 1961. Although, they did bring in some Opel GTs and possibly other models in the 70s. In both cases they were a stop gap until they could get their own American made small cars to market.

Pontiac did the same with the English Vauxhall, in the late 50s. In Canada they also sold Vauxhalls in the late sixties and early seventies. They were known as 'captive imports'. Many American car dealers sold imports under similar arrangements, at various times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

This more or less came to an end when they got the compact Buick Special in 1961.

Really? You never saw lots of Opel Kadetts in the 60s? The wagons were really popular around here. All sold by Buick dealers.😉

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Never saw any Kadetts but did see the Opel GT in the 70s. I'm in Canada and they did things different here.

No, but you got to see LOTS of Vauxhalls (and the badge-engineered Envoy models) that the US market never saw! 

Craig