Pay attention at the gas station

Matt Harwood

I walk to work most days and pass this gas station every morning. This morning I took a closer look at the sign out front because it looked curious to me.

Prices2.thumb.jpg.c4762554d5881ee769be33a96fee8579.jpg

Look a little closer:

Prices3.thumb.jpg.d2179423b95ccc252da76b5234f7ed4c.jpg

I figured that maybe the kid doing the numbers on the sign screwed up, so I went and looked at the pump. Sure enough, it's 100% right. The higher octane gas is cheaper than the regular 87. Or, I should say the 87 octane is more expensive, likely on purpose.

Prices1.thumb.jpg.33fc9910db9d9f18ed433ce2f6b0261c.jpg

Most folks won't notice the difference and just by force of habit push the 87 button. The 88 button is a different color, maybe they figure it's some weird kind of gas, but I see no notation on it that it's anything different than the other three (the yellow is ethanol for flex fuel vehicles). What's more, only half the pumps at this station have five buttons with the 88 octane, the rest just have the usual three buttons (87,89, 93). Granted, five cents extra probably isn't going to break anyone, but they sell far, far more 87 octane than anything else and have obviously marked up the price of 87 an extra five cents. With the 88 octane, the sign out front stays competitive with the station across the street, so I'm sure it's ultimately profitable as hell. $0.05 times how many thousands of gallons a week times how many stations, well that probably adds up pretty fast, no?

So pay attention--this isn't illegal, but it sure is sneaky. And brilliant as hell.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I was a pump jockey many years ago it was common practice for the boss to leave a crisp 20 for truck driver who made the gas drops, or deliveries.  The driver just might partially load the premium tank with midrange, or regular...

• Like 1

Thanks Matt.

Sheetz is building a brand new station near me. Will be interesting to see if they do this there.

I really hope the new Sheetz  sells E-0 instead but I doubt they will even though the local WAWAs are selling it with no competition and fairly good demand.

The WAWA E-0 is 89 octane and is only 10 cents more than the E-10 89 octane.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

...The 88 button is a different color, maybe they figure it's some weird kind of gas,

but I see no notation on it that it's anything different than the other three (the yellow is ethanol for flex fuel vehicles)....

We have Sheetz stations here too, and I have noticed this:

DANGER:  The "cheap" 88-octane gas is 15% ethanol!

But it could be the most expensive mistake you put in your car.

At the stations I've seen, there is a clear notice, and even

a warning label that it's not suitable for some vehicles.

All the other grades of gas here have 10% ethanol.

• Like 1

Don't know what it's like there, but around here non-ethanol with a lower octane is almost always more expensive than higher octane ethanol.

If those different gas options are all ethanol, then I don't know the reasoning...other than mild deception, as stated.

In my travels I've noticed that the "BLUE" is the "NO ETHANOL"-

surprised to see it at lower price?

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

^^^THIS! At the Sheetz stations I've been to, the yellow is E85, the blue is E15, and the rest are E10. They are marked as such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

^^^THIS! At the Sheetz stations I've been to, the yellow is E85, the blue is E15, and the rest are E10. They are marked as such.

You're 100% right, Joe. I walked by again today and took a closer look and it's marked higher up on the pump. I didn't see it yesterday.

No trickery, just another blend of gas that nobody asked for or needed.

Sorry for the false alarm, everyone! Please carry on.

1898672928_20190725_0759011.thumb.jpg.6d661700d093ffd04229a8f484280f91.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

You're 100% right, Joe. I walked by again today and took a closer look and it's marked higher up on the pump. I didn't see it yesterday.

No trickery, just another blend of gas that nobody asked for or needed.

Sorry for the false alarm, everyone! Please carry on.

Don't feel bad, Matt. I had exactly the same reaction as you the first time I saw that. It wasn't until carefully looking at the pumps that I realized this.

Don't forget to get your loyalty card and credit card for a total of 8 cents off per gallon.😉

Lucky in the area the Sheetz has yet to add that blue useless nozzle. I do see it in Richmond....🥵

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Don't forget to get your loyalty card and credit card for a total of 8 cents off per gallon.😉

Lucky in the area the Sheetz has yet to add that blue useless nozzle. I do see it in Richmond....🥵

It's definitely a thing here in NoVA.

37 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, gasoline prices of $2.60 per gallon are

only in the "average" category nationwide.  Looking at

the website www.gasbuddy.com, I see that quite a few

areas have prices between $2.20 and $2.30 a gallon

for unleaded regular.

I have used Gas Buddy for over 11 years now. Let me just say that in the last few years that data provided by Gas Buddy can be highly suspect and should be taken with a truckload of salt.

They're pushing car washes probably. Around here (Washington State USA), you often have to confirm or decline a car wash before the pump will turn on. I have not seen a difference in gas price as shown in Mike6024's pic.

18 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

88 octane is 15% ethanol and that extra 5% is bad news for older yard equipment, but it won't hurt cars built in this millennium and if you are fueling a 20 year old car it's best to pay the extra nickel. 

Actually I am only paying 3.69 at my local Roseland discount GasMart.

Shell and Chevron are higher, often 20 cents. Supposedly you can pay 3.70 at the Shell if you also get a wash. Several Shell and Chevron have drive through carwash.

Used to be, 15 years ago, free wash with fill-up, $10 minimum.

Now when you swipe your debit card, the first thing it asks is if you want a wash. You can pay $9 for a wash. They also have a $5 wash, less soap and brushing action.

Since I am driving a pickup these days, I haven't gone in years. Don't think they allow pickups through the wash.

Comment from a customer:

For $5, you get a complete wash, although it is not that thorough.  The clerk said the $5 wash is just a "touch-up" wash, but that wasn't clear to me because it's called "Express".  

The $7 and $9 washes apparently do a better job.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Gas is back down a bit, Sam's Club is $2:46/gal for 87. Wash is $7 to $11 at Speedway depending on extras.

Gas at our local Sam's Club today was $2.10/gallon for regular 87 octane

I pay $2.39 to $2.49, and even $2.59 for No-Ethanol at my favorite local unaffiliated station, and use it in EVERY vehicle, except my 361,xxx mile ford Excursion 7.3L Turbo Diesel

I have also read that if you start using the high methanol content fuel you should stay with it and not flip back and forth. Not good for the engine! I would not recommend any flex fuel usage in a vehicle not made for it. Especially with today's warranties.