Would you say that the seller of this '55 Chevy is being dishonest?

Lebowski

It's obviously a former 4 door sedan with the driver's side rear door welded shut and the gaps filled. Do you think the seller has an obligation to mention that in his ad? As you can see he did not do that so would you consider him a dishonest seller? 

Here's the first part of the original ad....

1955 Chevy Belair in good shape. Body solid. No rust on frame. Have put a lot of time and money in this car. Car runs and drives great. Daily driver, lots of fun. Looks good, sounds good. Way too many upgrades to list, call for details. Here are a few of the big upgrades:

After I emailed him and asked why he didn't mention that it was originally a 4 door he added this....

Car was originally a four door. Drivers side rear door has been sealed up. Passenger side rear still works fine. Both rear door handles have been shaved.

Here's the entire ad the way it is now....

1955 Chevy Belair in good shape. Body solid. No rust on frame. Have put a lot of time and money in this car. Car runs and drives great. Car was originally a four door. Drivers side rear door has been sealed up. Passenger side rear still works fine. Both rear door handles have been shaved. Daily driver, lots of fun. Looks good, sounds good. Way too many upgrades to list, call for details. Here are a few of the big upgrades:

All new front suspension, tubular a-arms with viking double adjustable coilovers.
New front disc brake conversion, power brakes.
All new steering components.
New wheels and tires.
New exhaust and headers.
New gas tank and sending unit and lines.
All new windshield wiper system.
All new door and trunk weatherstrip, new window felt and rubber.
New electronic ignition distributor.

Much, much more. Call for the complete list. The car has a 305 and a 2 speed powerglide in it now. Have a 350 and 700r4 trans that can also go if the price is right. $17,000 or best offer. Calls after 7pm, text anytime. 812-five8five0four6four. Do not need any help selling.

Scroll down to see the way a professional body man would turn the driver's side from a 4 door to a 2 door....

https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/cto/d/brazil-1955-chevy-belair/6939654878.html 

00101_lU0NwidsA3E_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

Technically, the seller doesn't appear to be saying that this is a two-door car.  The number of doors is not mentioned.  I don't think I would consider him dishonest from what I've seen in the ad.

There might be some buyers who wouldn't notice some of the obvious signs that point to this being a 4-door sedan.  Overlooking something of this nature would be something one would expect of the uninformed. 

If the seller doesn't mention this "alteration" in the course of showing the car to a prospective buyer, that might put things in a different light.

• Like 1

This is nothing like cloning a high performance muscle car from a base model.  There are obvious signs it's not a 2 door to the naked and even untrained eyes. If you showed up at cruise night telling all your car guy friends that you got this great deal on your new   2 door Chevy,  prepare for the rashing they are going to unleash on you and most likely deserve. 

• Like 1

If a buyer is not smart enough to notice this from 100 yards away he/she should be investing in bit coins or something (and I don't even know what bit coins are!!).  

Don

• Haha 1

In the text of the ad he says plainly that it is a 4 door car with the driver's side rear door sealed up, passenger side still working. So he doesn't seem to be trying to fool anybody on that point. As to when someone with a used car for sale is lying, I would say all the time and when they try to tell the truth they often don't know what they are talking about so it comes to the same thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Maybe he heard us. The ad now reads:

Car was originally a four door. Drivers side rear door has been sealed up. Passenger side rear still works fine. Both rear door handles have been shaved.

I emailed the seller and asked him why he didn't mention that it was originally a 4 door. His response was "Are you interested in it?". 

"Rare Chevy three door sedan!"

If you're going to make one into a 3 door then this is what it should look like in my opinion....

55 3 door.jpg

55 4 door.jpg

• Like 1

I have been on the eternal search for the uninformed buyer since I was 13 or 14 years old.

diogenes.thumb.jpg.1bd5a1d81c670fe10faa832f66a46585.jpg

Just like there have been searchers for the uniformed seller.  I know there have been some old farts in the car hobby who thought they were getting the best of me and couldn't separate their money from the fish hooks in their pocket fast enough to take advantage. There are a lot of old scoundrels out there waiting for a chance to brag about the whipper snapper they skinned.

There are even some who will plead poverty while they try to take advantage of you.

This has always been my favorite set of pictures.

olds1948.thumb.jpg.4582f8967993c00abbf844411e6159b0.jpg

mother-porsche1.jpg.2028cee8bf6e1415bc1e990854c6d0c8.jpg

"Honey, I almost busted when you told that city slicker you were selling the Buick to fix up the porch."

Look close and see how really similar the people look.

Old cars are sport!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

This is nothing like cloning a high performance muscle car from a base model.  There are obvious signs it's not a 2 door to the naked and even untrained eyes. If you showed up at cruise night telling all your car guy friends that you got this great deal on your new   2 door Chevy,  prepare for the rashing they are going to unleash on you and most likely deserve. 

BLANKET PARTY !!!!!!!!!! 

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I emailed the seller and asked him why he didn't mention that it was originally a 4 door. His response was "Are you interested in it?". 

"Rare Chevy three door sedan!"

If you're going to make one into a 3 door then this is what it should look like in my opinion....

55 3 door.jpg

55 4 door.jpg

That's just a Friday car at the plant.  Or early Monday morning when the weekend hasn't quite worn off yet. 

• Like 1

Dishonest, I don't think he is being dishonest the photos clearly show the right side rear door still there, and the drivers side looks too short for a two door and the rear side window gives it away. Overpriced, that's another story, but not dishonest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I ever did one of those AGAIN I would hang a two door door, pillar post, and quarter section. You can't just weld the door shut and start welding the gap. That's a lot of wire to feed. You need to cut 1/4 to 5/8 metal strips to bridge the gap all the way around. That is a lot of work and probably why he only did one door!

I have done stuff like that a few times. It is never as easy or simple as it appears, but, certainly, unappreciated.

Even my '86 Park Ave convertible gets the "Oh, they just cut the roof off" off hand comment. When you are standing on your head twisting around to put new rollers in the quarter windows the original never had, it is quite a different view of the job.

A long time ago I cut the roof off a '62 Electra 225 6 window 4 door hardtop. I grafted on a '62 Olds convertible windshield frame and made a pretty convincing car. Fooled a couple of pretty sharp guys. The secret to body integrity on that car was knowing I would be the last owner before the junkyard. I didn't really care if it squeezed the doors closed. But, I sold it to a guy and he sold it to someone else, might still be out there.

BTW, I did learn not to use a nibbler near the interior. There were all these rusty little toenail clipping like things in the carpet, hard to drive barefoot.

Before.

0099.jpg.57940da60084b71a8eb17f1ec40cbd2a.jpg