Today's earthquake in California shows a pre-war classic car in front of burning house....

Lebowski

There was an article in our local paper that mentioned that car:

In tight-knit Ridgecrest, a quake-related fire broke out and neighbors stepped up to help each other – Orange County Register – https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/04/in-tight-knit-ridgecrest-a-quake-related-fire-broke-out-and-neighbors-stepped-up-to-help-each-other/

Article says 1941 Buick Limited limousine (and also mentions a 1948 Chevrolet Town & Country convertible--WTF?), but I'm preeeeety sure it's not one of those and I have a little bit of knowledge on1941 Limiteds. It's too upright to be a Buick, the pillars are vertical, and the rear window has the three-bar frame like a Cadillac. After looking a little closer, I think WQ59B's answer of '46-49 Cadillac 75 Series is correct .

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I saw some pics of this house after the fire was out on an LA news tv broadcast.  The garage door was open and there were two 1940s era cars in the garage with burn damage.  I just saw the rear ends so couldn't identify the makes.  

That clip made the news here in NZ. I thought I saw that big black car but the clip we saw was so short I couldn't be sure.

Seeing the one linked on this page the noticeable thing is the three bar rear window, as others have said.

Does this help (sorry about resolution) but obviously 3 piece rear window. Does not look like '41 Caddy taillights and I do not see any extra chrome strips on rear quarter or skirt. '48 series 75 maybe ?

limo.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We just had another pretty good shaker here a little while ago.

Caltech is reporting a very quick series of quakes - 5.0, 6.9, 4.7, all 3 minutes apart from one another.

We felt them pretty good and we're a good 130 miles away.

Edit: the 6.9 has been revised to a 7.1

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nasty! Just out, a 7.1 about ten minutes ago!

I have been in Califunny most of my life, been through several 5 to 6 level, as well as the '89 Loma Prieta 6.9! Never seen a swarm like this. These are also being felt unusually far from the epicenter. Sometimes about 200 miles away.

7 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Nasty! Just out, a 7.1 about ten minutes ago!

I have been in Califunny most of my life, been through several 5 to 6 level, as well as the '89 Loma Prieta 6.9! Never seen a swarm like this. These are also being felt unusually far from the epicenter. Sometimes about 200 miles away.

If you look at the map that plots the quakes you can see that they are working their way up the fault, heading north.

There have been hundreds, if not thousands of small and moderate quakes since the one on the 4th gradually moving along the fault.

I'll take the barrage of moderate ones over one giant one.

Back in college geology class the prof said If the San Andreas really lets go lateral movement is supposed to be 3 feet.

Won't be a lot standing if the ground jumps 3 feet in one direction.

Question: Who owns that classic car seen parked on the street in the video? Is it a neighbor's car, or belong to the owner of the house that is burning?

Answer (from a neighbor): it belongs to the owner they had 2 other classic cars burn in the garage

21 hours ago, zepher said:

We just had another pretty good shaker here a little while ago.

Caltech is reporting a very quick series of quakes - 5.0, 6.9, 4.7, all 3 minutes apart from one another.

We felt them pretty good and we're a good 130 miles away.

Edit: the 6.9 has been revised to a 7.1

We are about 180 miles away on the coast and felt it pretty good too.

9 hours ago, zepher said:

Back in college geology class the prof said If the San Andreas really lets go lateral movement is supposed to be 3 feet.

Won't be a lot standing if the ground jumps 3 feet in one direction.

3 feet? The 1957 "Fort Tejon" earthquake averaged 15 feet displacement. The fault is estimated to be slipping by 1.5 inches a year and by my calculation that would be 20 feet of pent up motion waiting to be let loose.

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Question: Who owns that classic car seen parked on the street in the video? Is it a neighbor's car, or belong to the owner of the house that is burning?

Answer (from a neighbor): it belongs to the owner they had 2 other classic cars burn in the garage

I wondered if the car on the trailer in the video was different than the ones mentioned in the newspaper as being in the garage. Seemed unlikely that the car would be in the garage on a trailer and unlikely that he would have been able to get it out of a burning garage even if on a trailer.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Article says 1941 Buick Limited limousine (and also mentions a 1948 Chevrolet Town & Country convertible--WTF?), but I'm preeeeety sure it's not one of those and I have a little bit of knowledge on1941 Limiteds. It's too upright to be a Buick, the pillars are vertical, and the rear window has the three-bar frame like a Cadillac. After looking a little closer, I think WQ59B's answer of '46-49 Cadillac 75 Series is correct .

I was able to zero in on the cars in the garage from the news report on TV.

Lookiong at the garage, the one on the right hand side appears to be the Chrysler Woodie convertible. Larger trunklid panels are burned but structural panels are recognizable, and the top frame is there but top material seems gone.