Is it worth advertising a car for sale in Hemings?

mrcvs

I remember as a teenager getting my hands on a copy of Hemings...and dreaming!  Of course, that was long before the days of the internet.

Is it still a decent way to sell a vehicle?  I don't have facebook, but I think a most gracious member of this forum did post it to facebook.  I did post to the classifieds section of this forum.  I'll have to maybe figure out how to get it on Craig's List.

I think it's worth putting in Hemmings, it's good exposure, and they have an Internet site too that it goes on.  At one time I thought Hemmings was just for overpriced cars that wouldn't sell locally, but these days if you're looking for a specific car then it's still a good resource.

These days, condition is everything.  A car that needs a lot of work is a hard sell.  An overpriced car is a hard sell, as there are just too many choices out there of collector cars for sale.

Good luck...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hemmings is a great place to sell a car if the car is in any way collectible or special interest but it is primarily for older (70s and back) vehicles. It is for the patient seller rather than the quick flipper. Their $99.00 deal sounds expensive but includes a dozen photos, one magazine post, and run till it sells online exposure to a large car focused group. I have sold more than a few cars there and highly recommend.

• Like 1

Hemmings is the go to place for car shopping for a collectible car.  $99 is a great price for the number of people that will see your ad.  That being said, I sold my 1937 Dodge pickup using an ad in the Lancaster Farm News weekly paper.  Knowing how much the farm community loves pickup trucks it was a good place to place an ad.  That same publication often has antique auto ads too, in fact some ads from members here show up in it.  I don’t know how successful auto ads do there.

Another point, you are selling a Model A Ford.  You can find them for sale everywhere, even my local daily newspaper usually has an ad for one.  To sell one, it has to be priced fairly and presented in photos as good as it can possibly look and running as good as you can make it run.  Be sure to fix the little stuff if necessary and have the car as clean looking and sale ready as possible.  Selling a car takes effort and prep to do it right.

• Like 3

As much as I praise hemmings and it's an excellent resource for selling,  a model a Sedan is going to have alot of competition.  Unless it's purely geographic and a buyer will only buy a car within a close distance your car is going to have to be better then the rest and or priced lower to sell through them.  So grab a recent copy or go online to their site and see how your car compares.  

I Sold a couple of Model A's and a 57 Chevy sedan all through local listings.  I never even gave Hemmings a thought when trying to market them.  If they were something really special,  a concourse restoration or rarely optioned or body style,  then maybe I would have gone there.   I think that's where you will more than likely find your buyer.  Craigslist or the local go to swap sheet.  

Ebay may not be a bad choice either.  It's not so much about selling it at a one time auction on there as getting exposure.  Seems everyone looks on there when they are looking for something. 

I wouldn't put a ton of faith in facebook marketplace though exposure is exposure.  I have looked more and more on there recently for all kinds of stuff in general but the search and results seem rather funky and inconsistent. 

Good luck.

When I used to subscribe to Hemmings I had a friend who always wanted my issues that were four or five months old. He said "That should give them time to come around to a realistic value of the item".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Craig's List is mostly newer cars.  It doesn't look like much early stuff on there.  Not sure if that is the best place for it.

I had no idea it was this difficult to sell a Model A, which I have priced in the lower end range.

Hemmings is good for older buyers as well. Many are not internet savy.

Sold my 30 Buick model 58 to a fella from Spain. He saw it in Hemmings.

CL can be a waste of time. Ebay is my preferred method and still has many faults........... sell rate is about 50%, because many buyers are not serious.

I think your problem is it's an A.  Nothing wrong with them, but alot of competition and I doubt rarely many folks beat down doors for them,  because if they miss this then there will be another for sale.  It's the same with many common cars.  I bet you would have the same trouble with a tri 5 chevy sedan,  or any other more common sedan.  Sport still sells regardless of what others may say.   I have seen alot of nice sedans Model a and otherwise for sale lately and none of them seem to be moving.  I have even been seeing tri five chevy 2 door sedans dropping and a few hardtops from what they used to bring and still not selling. 

I believe that Hemmings gets a higher caliber of both buyer and seller than Craigslist and eBay. I've bought and sold cars through Hemmings several times over the years. For $99 it goes online right away but probably won't go into the monthly print version for a couple of months. I put my '70 Chevelle SS396 on both Hemmings and Craigslist in January and after 3 weeks sold it to a classic car dealer in Michigan for $50k. I asked the guy which ad he saw and he said Craigslist so you never know. The dealer put it on his site for $74,900 and sold it less than a month later. Good luck....

PICT0004.JPG

I agree that  your problem is what you are selling.  The market is flooded with them.  Don't overlook CL if the price is right.  Two weeks ago I sold a 81 and 87 Mercedes Diesel, a vintage boat and a 94 Motorhome in seven days

I sold a Model A and several other classics, mostly on eBay. I tried Hemings, but found eBay much faster and a lot more inquiries. It can take a month or more to make it to the magazine, so if you have time, you could try that. 

If you use eBay, post a lot of pics, including the undercarriage, and a very detailed description. It’s good to have a friend post links on a Facebook classic car or Model A specific groups. Also, find Model A clubs and see if they have a website forum that you can post to. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I sold a Model A and several other classics, mostly on eBay. I tried Hemings, but found eBay much faster and a lot more inquiries. It can take a month or more to make it to the magazine, so if you have time, you could try that. 

If you use eBay, post a lot of pics, including the undercarriage, and a very detailed description. It’s good to have a friend post links on a Facebook classic car or Model A specific groups. Also, find Model A clubs and see if they have a website forum that you can post to. 

I now have it posted to eBay, as well as the MARC site and my local Model A club to which I belong.  I thought I had it priced right and it is a desirable model, but apparently not!  I'm not going to give it away, but my wife hates looking at it in front of the house.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

I now have it posted to eBay, as well as the MARC site and my local Model A club to which I belong.  I thought I had it priced right and it is a desirable model, but apparently not!  I'm not going to give it away, but my wife hates looking at it in front of the house.

Can you post a link? I’d like to take a look and see your ad/price. I would give you my honest opinion. This is the one I sold. 

8D3C0A70-4EC1-4846-8EA7-FA06C2ECAD50.jpeg

• Like 1

I have bought and sold countless pre war cars.........and have not been a subscriber to Hemmings for well over twenty years. 

17 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Now, there's a quote I have seen before.

No, I have it fairly priced, or close to it, for what it is!  Yeah, I could price it at $2500 and have it gone by sunset...but I work hard for my money so why should I throw it away?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

and have not been a subscriber to Hemmings for well over twenty years.

Pull out one of those old copies and start dialing (oops, did I write dialing) numbers for the cars listed. You will find some are still waiting for a new owner. I have called on some old Swap Sheet ads.

I tend not to look for buyers where everyone already owns a car. I also go out of my way to find "the uninformed buyer". Just little quirks that carried over from my dating days.

Bernie

That wasn't personal or aimed at your particular car. It is just one of those common short quotes like "they're not cheap", "from now on", "that's not going to be easy". In a lifetime you hear them so many times they just create thought relationships. I just can't recall seeing it written out, usually a verbal thing.

I have another 30 minutes before I have to leave and be tortured with all the other Fathers in my family. That one little smile might be what helps me make it through the afternoon.

• Haha 1

I posted my 1938 Chevrolet for sale on Hemmings.  I called them up on a Friday afternoon, it was on their website the next day, by Tuesday I had an offer, the deal was sealed on Thursday, and the funds were wired into my bank account by early afternoon on Friday.  Hemmings Classifieds did a good job for me, on a car that is not overly desirable.

Cheers,

Grog

4 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Tell the wife it will sell quicker when running. Sounds like your working in that and it shouldn’t take long. Also, better and more (30+ with better lighting, under, over, inside and out) pics as mentioned and more detailed description with lower starting bid (with reserve) and it should sell faster. It’s all in the presentation, like any marketing. 

Doesn't sound like anyone is worried about the price. There are a lot of them and it just might take a bit longer than the wife would like. Personally and as a former Realtor, I think it ads curb appeal! If I lived closer I’d let you park it in front of my house. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

You are also competing with stuff like this for the potential dollars.   This is $10G OBO. I know it's not a 4 door but it's still competition.  I saw good looking coupes in your price range as well.   It's all competition in a tight market. 

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/clifton-heights-1929-model-ford-antique/6903125184.html

00L0L_k8ksIhlrGLo_600x450.jpg

00R0R_2Ye1fSZJFfR_600x450.jpg

00h0h_jA4CM1lT2O6_600x450.jpg

Those are both within 200 miles of you.  There is also a 1928 Dodge victory 6 sedan for 8500 as well as a Chrysler coupe and some others in your price range.  I'm not sure there are as many guys fanatical to have an A as an old car as there used to be.  I remember 20 years ago when every car show had the model A club show up and there were 20 model A's at a 100 car show.  Now a 1000 car show and there are often not even 20 models A's.  often only 5 or 10 in attendance at most. 

• Like 1

To sell your car needs to be better than the rest to justify the same or more money to actually sell, or cheaper than the rest.   Basic economics.  (I'll be going through it with my 40 ford coupe.  Lots of competition in my price range of 30 G so though I want that I will probably have to sell for south of that to actually get it sold.  I'm guessing 27,500.  Meanwhile the money I invested in it and time,  I could have bought other nicer cars that are also on my bucket list,  but I had to pass because my money was tied up. 

Walk around the car and make a list of everything it needs to be compared to others for sale at the price they are at.  I haven't looked real close at your car,  but if things are rusted or pitted,  customers will most likely make a mental ding in the price for each item they see needs addressed.  I did notice stupid stuff from a quick look like tired exterior door handles, rust on the radiator cap, the paint issues on the bottom of the cowl, is the chrome peeled on the front bumper?   Stuff like this a buyer is going to want a reduction for.  A good day detailing it would also help,  The yellow tires look old,  whether they are or not, The kind of faded paint looks unkept.  A buyer sees all these things and thinks maybe this car just needs alot of work or you don't care about it's condition as a seller.  That 29 is still for sale as far as I know,  and other than the faded looking splash aprons shines in and out and that's at 10G.  The same with the coupe from what I could see at 12500.  

I don't want to put a price on your car but I have a hunch of what the number will be that finally buys it.   The fun of old cars ends when you have to sell one.  Even the nicest ones get picked apart and often those aren't even obvious flaws.  Buyers are usually very picky and many will run down everything they need to do to make it the way they want it,  whether the car needs it or not.   I often tell them don't tell me what you think is wrong,  just look it over and give me the offer you will pay for it today.  If it works,  take it,  if not tell them thank you for the offer but you don't want to sell it for that.   

Good luck.  I would detail it out and get some new photos. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

To sell your car needs to be better than the rest to justify the same or more money to actually sell, or cheaper than the rest.   Basic economics.  (I'll be going through it with my 40 ford coupe.  Lots of competition in my price range of 30 G so though I want that I will probably have to sell for south of that to actually get it sold.  I'm guessing 27,500.  Meanwhile the money I invested in it and time,  I could have bought other nicer cars that are also on my bucket list,  but I had to pass because my money was tied up. 

Walk around the car and make a list of everything it needs to be compared to others for sale at the price they are at.  I haven't looked real close at your car,  but if things are rusted or pitted,  customers will most likely make a mental ding in the price for each item they see needs addressed.  I did notice stupid stuff from a quick look like tired exterior door handles, rust on the radiator cap, the paint issues on the bottom of the cowl, is the chrome peeled on the front bumper?   Stuff like this a buyer is going to want a reduction for.  A good day detailing it would also help,  The yellow tires look old,  whether they are or not, The kind of faded paint looks unkept.  A buyer sees all these things and thinks maybe this car just needs alot of work or you don't care about it's condition as a seller.  That 29 is still for sale as far as I know,  and other than the faded looking splash aprons shines in and out and that's at 10G.  The same with the coupe from what I could see at 12500.  

I don't want to put a price on your car but I have a hunch of what the number will be that finally buys it.   The fun of old cars ends when you have to sell one.  Even the nicest ones get picked apart and often those aren't even obvious flaws.  Buyers are usually very picky and many will run down everything they need to do to make it the way they want it,  whether the car needs it or not.   I often tell them don't tell me what you think is wrong,  just look it over and give me the offer you will pay for it today.  If it works,  take it,  if not tell them thank you for the offer but you don't want to sell it for that.   

Good luck.  I would detail it out and get some new photos. 

But...if all that stuff was done, then it would be a $15,000 car.  All the problems are already priced in.  Also, not many Fordors out there for sale.

Meanwhile I have my wife at my throat because it's parked in front of the house and she doesn't understand it takes time to sell a car (like more than 24 hrs).

1 minute ago, mrcvs said:

But...if all that stuff was done, then it would be a $15,000 car.  All the problems are already priced in.  Also, not many Fordors out there for sale.

Meanwhile I have my wife at my throat because it's parked in front of the house and she doesn't understand it takes time to sell a car (like more than 24 hrs).

You and her need to have a good long talk about this.  Unless you are breaking some local zoning laws or you live in an area with a homeowners association that prevents this type of parking there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You could store it in one of those UStore places but that will cost $$$$$.  Tell her I said to chill...I’m sure she will listen😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TerryB said:

You and her need to have a good long talk about this.  Unless you are breaking some local zoning laws or you live in an area with a homeowners association that prevents this type of parking there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You could store it in one of those UStore places but that will cost $$$$$.  Tell her I said to chill...I’m sure she will listen😁.

But she won't...

COMPLETELY legal, we are by no means the worst offenders when it comes to vehicles parked on the street...

Problem is, several years ago my wife's sister's real bomber Ford Explorer was parked out front for a week, and the neighbors complained.  It was completely legal, just a real eyesore.  They had no right to complain nor to threaten to get it towed.

The perils of living in a newer neighborhood (not my choice).  Too many uppity folks!  I didn't even bother to put a "For Sale" sign on it as none of these yuppies are likely to have any interest in it.

How as a society did we become like this?  Tear it all down, throw it out.  It can't be any good unless it's brand new!