Jump to content

Is it worth advertising a car for sale in Hemings?


Recommended Posts

You would be my hero if you had a car like that parked in my neighborhood.  We have a Porsche and a Corvette as the only car guy type of cars locally.  Did have a 1969 Dodge Charger but that poor fellow died unexpectedly and the car was sold.  I am in a sea of foreign cars in the neighborhood and no one nearby who is a car person to chat with. My two old guy neighbors, both 85+, would rather discuss the weeds in the yard and why they like John Deere riding tractors.  That’s why I’m always on here, at least I can communicate with someone!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still say regardless of what some say a 4 door model a is a slower seller than a sportier model which you are competing with for Model A dollars. 

49 pages of 1930 model A related cars or cars themselves come up on hemmings when I d oa search under cars and put 1930 Model A in the title.  That's your competition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would also put a for sale sign in it.  It doesn't need to be a huge one. You might not sell it to anyone in the neighbor hood but people mow lawns in the neighbor hood pick up trash, come to visit,  including parents and though they may not buy it,  they may know the old car guy that they tell about it,  will. 

 

Paint jobs are also huge killers.  then you end up with restoring the whole car before you are done.  Any paint work is a huge nail in the selling coffin.  

I would rather sell a car with beautiful paint and no engine than one that looks shabby and needs paint but has a brand new engine and tranny , driving like it just left the factory. 

I know first hand.  Been there and done that with both a 36 Chrysler Convertible and 48 Plymouth Convertible.  

Sold a beautiful looking 59 Tbird convertible that looked almost new with fresh paint and interior with really nice chrome and new top,  but had an exhaust leak,  crappy brakes and some other mechanical issues toe the first guy to look at it. He didn't care because it looked brand new and was priced not cheap but very reasonable.  It actually got bought and shipped overseas.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My work is in a very well to do suburb, so we don't have any shortage of italian and german exotica (would see a newish ferrari at least once a week and AMG/M/RS daily)

 

In terms of old stuff, generally limited to older british stuff like rolls royce's or bentleys

Link to post
Share on other sites

Print is good for Buyers - not Sellers.

 

There are Sellers who do not list vehicles for sale on the interweb for various reasons.

 

Sometimes - a Seller’s  idea of pricing is way off  with regard to current value - in a direction that favors a Buyer.

 

I recently transported this early Cadillac that sold for 30% or less of market value.

 

I can’t be more specific as to the year - model - price or what print publication 

it was advertised in.

 

Jim

 

2FB5525C-EA4F-4510-9E3F-42B63F1AE0A1.jpeg.578a9e14fece33f4da7c17dfa48f386c.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the problem,  if I started looking for a Model A,  like I did for comps to your car to see about pricing,  I stumbled across a 1929 Studebaker 8 Victoria that needed work but wasn't a huge project for 6500.  I don't care how hard parts are to get,  this sucker wins hands down over a model a tudor sedan or vicky which would be priced equally or hire at this point in this shape. 

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/avenel-studebaker-1929-vicky/6912544760.html

Boy it's easy to get distracted.  

I like pre war but get distracted easy and this is somewhere on the bucket list as well.  a 68 for 14G.  I should have already figured out a way to go look / Afford this one. 

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/d/rutherford-1968-firebird-convertible/6912198178.html

 

Then there is this super clean 58 Buick hardtop for 19500 asking. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/marcy-king-of-chrome-1958-buick-2dr-ht/6913473936.html

 

Just way to many distractions at all different but affordable price points.  

This is just a sampling from my local craigslist. 

Maybe it really is becoming a buyer's market.  Bad for me selling my 40 Ford coupe,  but good if I decide to liquidate it to buy something else. 

 

00303_iv6K8oKQJj5_600x450.jpg

00v0v_bUBnBqKN3MS_600x450.jpg

01414_k2D3FHtWXC7_600x450.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Here's a little kick start for you mrcvs.

I see there are 11 watching already.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Ford-Model-A-Green/223554052543?hash=item340cdc21bf:g:GeoAAOSw5K5dBrYv

That’s not that many. I had a lot more on my sold listings, even early on. However, it just takes 1 to buy!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TerryB said:

You would be my hero if you had a car like that parked in my neighborhood.  We have a Porsche and a Corvette as the only car guy type of cars locally.  Did have a 1969 Dodge Charger but that poor fellow died unexpectedly and the car was sold.  I am in a sea of foreign cars in the neighborhood and no one nearby who is a car person to chat with. My two old guy neighbors, both 85+, would rather discuss the weeds in the yard and why they like John Deere riding tractors.  That’s why I’m always on here, at least I can communicate with someone!

The attached photographs show the view from my yard and then looking to my yard with my house in the background.

 

Our neighborhood is not ritzy to the point where folks drive Rolls Royces.  It is simply the newest and possibly last new neighborhood in the area as everything has otherwise been developed, and even the newest home over here is now 5 years old.

 

It's what you get if you want to live in a neighborhood and have a professional degree and want to drive a late model SUV, Audi, Mercedes, etc.  Except I don't drive any of those.  Neighborhoods nearby are pushing 40+ years old and look dated...  Not that it bothers me, but my wife learned from her parents that newer is best and I kid you not when I say they have lived in about 10 brand new homes over the years.  Even over here, sometimes if a house is for sale, if the owner is outside, I'll make small talk and find they are usually moving into another brand new development somewhere.

 

How is that environmentally friendly?  Meanwhile, a few older homes in the area sit vacant.

 

But I digress.  I live where I do, because I just wasn't winning the farmhouse, barn, and a few acres further out argument.  And, in the end, that's what I rented space in and the multitude of problems meant there was no money left for a new roof on the barn which is why I lost my barn space.

20190616_171343.jpg

20190616_171407.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also meant to say that in defense of my wife, these vehicles are a hard sell.  Often not running, when they do run, before long another problem arises.  Not as comfortable or as roomy as a brand new vehicle, no heat or A/C.  She didn't grow up around this stuff, I didn't although I have an interest...

 

It's a hard sell to someone with no interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in PA too, in a small town called Lititz and in a neighborhood with nice homes that were built in the last 20 years or less.  It’s a mix of young family professionals and those who are retired like me and older.  If I was still driving and had a collector car I would be the odd man in the neighborhood.  We had lived less than a mile from this house for 30 years where I had built a second garage to work on my toys.  That house was in a slightly more rural setting where having room to work on things was common.  We moved when I was injured and needed a ranch style house to accommodate my wheelchair life.  I miss the open space I had there.  I often wonder how my current neighbors would like the motor noises that came from my old place.  I feel your pain and hope it gets resolved quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cahartley said:

Here's a little kick start for you mrcvs.

I see there are 11 watching already.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Ford-Model-A-Green/223554052543?hash=item340cdc21bf:g:GeoAAOSw5K5dBrYv

I wonder how many watching are members here, not me,  interested to see if it sells? 

I agree low count, but with Model A's I think you are only going to have local serious bidding as it just doesn't make sense to buy these and ship them across the country with so many available and the shipping costs running 15 to 20 % of the value of the car.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

when I list on ebay- I start low, because I want to build interest and competition. Starting at what I hope to get for a car generally produces no bids.

 

you only need 2 people that want it..............

 

Randy, some nice finds there! All at great prices. Cant believe the camaro is even available at that price..........

 

Had a 30 Buick model 58 yrs ago- was the same body style as the Stude. That is a screaming bargain! Good solid car that needs minor work and could easily be worth double.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Cant believe the camaro is even available at that price..........

That's actually a Firebird and it's even a 400.  I don't really care for the Camaro but the Firebird I could find room in the garage for.  I'm still trying to figure out how i could scrape the money up to buy it.  I spent over 15 grand on literature in the last month.  That would have paid for it,  but the literature will generate hopefully ten fold so it's a better investment,  though that Firebird would be alot more fun.  

I couldn't believe the price on that Stude either.  It does say it needs some "minor" wood work in the cowl but it has no rust.  I think it's a door issue. looking at the photos.  Probably the hinge pulling out.  Still if it's only minor,  that's alot of car for the money. 

Of course all of these are over 100 miles from me as the crow flies. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that you need to look at sold listings on ebay for your year and model. What a car actually sells for vs. what the seller was asking are very often two completely different numbers. The actual sold prices will tell you what the real market is for your car.

 

You may not like the answer, but you will know where to price it to sell it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

didnt pu on the firebird........ have a 67 camaro conv here that I need to get ready to sell. I agree, the firebirds are a lot more appealing to me then camaros- but the camaros do tend to bring a little more.

 

buying the lit makes more sense then another car.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

when I list on ebay- I start low, because I want to build interest and competition. Starting at what I hope to get for a car generally produces no bids.

 

you only need 2 people that want it..............

 

Randy, some nice finds there! All at great prices. Cant believe the camaro is even available at that price..........

 

Had a 30 Buick model 58 yrs ago- was the same body style as the Stude. That is a screaming bargain! Good solid car that needs minor work and could easily be worth double.

 

Mercer,

That seems to be the formula, start the price low to gain some traction, and having a reserve just seems to hold back people from bidding or invites curiosity seekers just bidding to see what the reserve is resulting in a no sale. I just don't have the stamina for it myself, but I am tempted. There are so many dynamics involved, and ultimately it comes down to location. I decided to sell my Cosworth Vega, rare but..... all of the 75's are black and most have black interiors, and the few that survived are in identical condition. The Model A produces a similar but different set of problems, most body styles, years, and colors are available in close proximity giving the buyer many options.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Our neighborhood is not ritzy to the point where folks drive Rolls Royces. 

 

We had to drop a friend's Rolls-Royce at his house after servicing. His wife let us know, on no uncertain terms, "Don't leave that car in the driveway. I don't want the neighbors talking".

 

Another owner in the town my Wife comes from bought a new one and went to great lengths to be sure the colors were the same and it looked like they still had the old one.

 

Sometimes that social side of ownership is much more taxing than perceived.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Another owner in the town my wife comes from bought a new one and went to great lengths

to be sure the colors were the same and it looked like they still had the old one.

 

They deserve praise.  It's great not to be pretentious!

 

Or better yet:  As one man I know did, who lives in a

40,000 square-foot house, and who grew up

with a household full of servants:  Buy a Chevrolet Chevette

and keep it for 19 years as your regular car!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

They deserve praise.  It's great not to be pretentious!

 

Or better yet:  As one man I know did, who lives in a

40,000 square-foot house, and who grew up

with a household full of servants:  Buy a Chevrolet Chevette

and keep it for 19 years as your regular car!

 

John,

The real story is that a Chevette lasted 19 years! 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said the eBay sell rate was less than 50%. I personally think it’s much lower than that. Plug in your car and look at completed auctions to verify. I’d avoid online auctions or sales like the plague. Gotta see em in person. CL for drivable projects and Hemings for nicer quality restorations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes that social side of ownership is much more taxing than perceived.

 

and if it is, then you are doing something wrong in life!

 

 

 

The real story is that a Chevette lasted 19 years

 

with his disposable income, he could have made it last 100 yrs...............!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I wonder how many watching are members here, not me,  interested to see if it sells? 

I agree low count, but with Model A's I think you are only going to have local serious bidding as it just doesn't make sense to buy these and ship them across the country with so many available and the shipping costs running 15 to 20 % of the value of the car.  

My 30 a shipped to the east coast. I think actually Pennsylvania. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, victorialynn2 said:

My 30 a shipped to the east coast. I think actually Pennsylvania. 

Surprising as so many are available,  but if the price and condition were right it might have been the right option for the buyer.  This car I don't see anyone wanting to tack another 2G minimum on to get at the price it's at.   Making the effective price near 15G. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Someone said the eBay sell rate was less than 50%. I personally think it’s much lower than that. Plug in your car and look at completed auctions to verify. I’d avoid online auctions or sales like the plague. Gotta see em in person. CL for drivable projects and Hemings for nicer quality restorations.

Lots of the ads are more for advertisement for dealer types, even for old cars. Like an open house for real estate. The point is to drive traffic to a website or create more clients, not always sell the listing. 

I sold everyone I priced right, had a good description and good photos for. All for good prices. Many in Nov and Dec and against many who advised me I wouldn’t be successful or get my asking price. I posted links to many associated sites and FB pages. But I’m in marketing, so I don’t “set it and forget it”. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Surprising as so many are available,  but if the price and condition were right it might have been the right option for the buyer.  This car I don't see anyone wanting to tack another 2G minimum on to get at the price it's at.   Making the effective price near 15G. 

I agree but my ad was more more detailed, had 30-40 great pics and that’s makes all the difference. It sold 11/24 and was picked up Thanksgiving morning also. Not your typical high sales season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have actually bought and sold more cars in November maybe late October than any other time of year.  Not sure why.  Maybe it's a mental thing with having to get things done before the end of the year. 

As you know it all boils down to price. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Link works - awesome job of presentation. I used to manage a proposals department for a large international material  handling company back in the 80's - you're hired ! No guesswork involved which is exactly what you want.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vermontboy said:

Link works - awesome job of presentation. I used to manage a proposals department for a large international material  handling company back in the 80's - you're hired ! No guesswork involved which is exactly what you want.

I can’t take credit. It was done by a friend that I paid. Point is, you have to wind a way to make a great presentation. I didn’t know mich about cars. Now a house I could have handled, being a former broker, but I had a general idea from that of what I needed. Many thanks to my buddy Tim who helped with most of my listings. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...