mrcvs

Is it worth advertising a car for sale in Hemings?

I have checked out the ad and given my opinion to him in a private message. I have encouraged him to post a link here since y’all were so helpful to me selling my dad’s cars. 

After looking at your ad It should have sold in my opinion.  I could be interested if it weren't a $2000 ride to central Texas

• Like 1

I posted my 1938 Chevrolet for sale on Hemmings.  I called them up on a Friday afternoon, it was on their website the next day, by Tuesday I had an offer, the deal was sealed on Thursday, and the funds were wired into my bank account by early afternoon on Friday.  Hemmings Classifieds did a good job for me, on a car that is not overly desirable.

Cheers,

Grog

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mrcvs said:

I now have it posted to eBay, as well as the MARC site and my local Model A club to which I belong.  I thought I had it priced right and it is a desirable model, but apparently not!  I'm not going to give it away, but my wife hates looking at it in front of the house.

Tell the wife it will sell quicker when running. Sounds like your working in that and it shouldn’t take long. Also, better and more (30+ with better lighting, under, over, inside and out) pics as mentioned and more detailed description with lower starting bid (with reserve) and it should sell faster. It’s all in the presentation, like any marketing. 

Doesn't sound like anyone is worried about the price. There are a lot of them and it just might take a bit longer than the wife would like. Personally and as a former Realtor, I think it ads curb appeal! If I lived closer I’d let you park it in front of my house. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

After looking at your ad It should have sold in my opinion.  I could be interested if it weren't a $2000 ride to central Texas

Not a bad drive. Fly, rent a uHaul with a car hauler. They tow just fine. I know this for a fact. 😂

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

You are also competing with stuff like this for the potential dollars.   This is $10G OBO. I know it's not a 4 door but it's still competition.  I saw good looking coupes in your price range as well.   It's all competition in a tight market. 

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/clifton-heights-1929-model-ford-antique/6903125184.html

00L0L_k8ksIhlrGLo_600x450.jpg

00R0R_2Ye1fSZJFfR_600x450.jpg

00h0h_jA4CM1lT2O6_600x450.jpg

Those are both within 200 miles of you.  There is also a 1928 Dodge victory 6 sedan for 8500 as well as a Chrysler coupe and some others in your price range.  I'm not sure there are as many guys fanatical to have an A as an old car as there used to be.  I remember 20 years ago when every car show had the model A club show up and there were 20 model A's at a 100 car show.  Now a 1000 car show and there are often not even 20 models A's.  often only 5 or 10 in attendance at most. 

• Like 1

What should I be asking for it?  Seems to me $12,500 is "about right".

To sell your car needs to be better than the rest to justify the same or more money to actually sell, or cheaper than the rest.   Basic economics.  (I'll be going through it with my 40 ford coupe.  Lots of competition in my price range of 30 G so though I want that I will probably have to sell for south of that to actually get it sold.  I'm guessing 27,500.  Meanwhile the money I invested in it and time,  I could have bought other nicer cars that are also on my bucket list,  but I had to pass because my money was tied up. 

Walk around the car and make a list of everything it needs to be compared to others for sale at the price they are at.  I haven't looked real close at your car,  but if things are rusted or pitted,  customers will most likely make a mental ding in the price for each item they see needs addressed.  I did notice stupid stuff from a quick look like tired exterior door handles, rust on the radiator cap, the paint issues on the bottom of the cowl, is the chrome peeled on the front bumper?   Stuff like this a buyer is going to want a reduction for.  A good day detailing it would also help,  The yellow tires look old,  whether they are or not, The kind of faded paint looks unkept.  A buyer sees all these things and thinks maybe this car just needs alot of work or you don't care about it's condition as a seller.  That 29 is still for sale as far as I know,  and other than the faded looking splash aprons shines in and out and that's at 10G.  The same with the coupe from what I could see at 12500.  

I don't want to put a price on your car but I have a hunch of what the number will be that finally buys it.   The fun of old cars ends when you have to sell one.  Even the nicest ones get picked apart and often those aren't even obvious flaws.  Buyers are usually very picky and many will run down everything they need to do to make it the way they want it,  whether the car needs it or not.   I often tell them don't tell me what you think is wrong,  just look it over and give me the offer you will pay for it today.  If it works,  take it,  if not tell them thank you for the offer but you don't want to sell it for that.   

Good luck.  I would detail it out and get some new photos. 

• Like 3

I do like Hemmings because their website is at least tailored for old vehicles with things like the search categories.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

To sell your car needs to be better than the rest to justify the same or more money to actually sell, or cheaper than the rest.   Basic economics.  (I'll be going through it with my 40 ford coupe.  Lots of competition in my price range of 30 G so though I want that I will probably have to sell for south of that to actually get it sold.  I'm guessing 27,500.  Meanwhile the money I invested in it and time,  I could have bought other nicer cars that are also on my bucket list,  but I had to pass because my money was tied up. 

Walk around the car and make a list of everything it needs to be compared to others for sale at the price they are at.  I haven't looked real close at your car,  but if things are rusted or pitted,  customers will most likely make a mental ding in the price for each item they see needs addressed.  I did notice stupid stuff from a quick look like tired exterior door handles, rust on the radiator cap, the paint issues on the bottom of the cowl, is the chrome peeled on the front bumper?   Stuff like this a buyer is going to want a reduction for.  A good day detailing it would also help,  The yellow tires look old,  whether they are or not, The kind of faded paint looks unkept.  A buyer sees all these things and thinks maybe this car just needs alot of work or you don't care about it's condition as a seller.  That 29 is still for sale as far as I know,  and other than the faded looking splash aprons shines in and out and that's at 10G.  The same with the coupe from what I could see at 12500.  

I don't want to put a price on your car but I have a hunch of what the number will be that finally buys it.   The fun of old cars ends when you have to sell one.  Even the nicest ones get picked apart and often those aren't even obvious flaws.  Buyers are usually very picky and many will run down everything they need to do to make it the way they want it,  whether the car needs it or not.   I often tell them don't tell me what you think is wrong,  just look it over and give me the offer you will pay for it today.  If it works,  take it,  if not tell them thank you for the offer but you don't want to sell it for that.   

Good luck.  I would detail it out and get some new photos. 

But...if all that stuff was done, then it would be a $15,000 car.  All the problems are already priced in.  Also, not many Fordors out there for sale.

Meanwhile I have my wife at my throat because it's parked in front of the house and she doesn't understand it takes time to sell a car (like more than 24 hrs).

1 minute ago, mrcvs said:

But...if all that stuff was done, then it would be a $15,000 car.  All the problems are already priced in.  Also, not many Fordors out there for sale.

Meanwhile I have my wife at my throat because it's parked in front of the house and she doesn't understand it takes time to sell a car (like more than 24 hrs).

You and her need to have a good long talk about this.  Unless you are breaking some local zoning laws or you live in an area with a homeowners association that prevents this type of parking there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You could store it in one of those UStore places but that will cost $$$$$.  Tell her I said to chill...I’m sure she will listen😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TerryB said:

You and her need to have a good long talk about this.  Unless you are breaking some local zoning laws or you live in an area with a homeowners association that prevents this type of parking there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You could store it in one of those UStore places but that will cost $$$$$.  Tell her I said to chill...I’m sure she will listen😁.

But she won't...

COMPLETELY legal, we are by no means the worst offenders when it comes to vehicles parked on the street...

Problem is, several years ago my wife's sister's real bomber Ford Explorer was parked out front for a week, and the neighbors complained.  It was completely legal, just a real eyesore.  They had no right to complain nor to threaten to get it towed.

The perils of living in a newer neighborhood (not my choice).  Too many uppity folks!  I didn't even bother to put a "For Sale" sign on it as none of these yuppies are likely to have any interest in it.

How as a society did we become like this?  Tear it all down, throw it out.  It can't be any good unless it's brand new!

You would be my hero if you had a car like that parked in my neighborhood.  We have a Porsche and a Corvette as the only car guy type of cars locally.  Did have a 1969 Dodge Charger but that poor fellow died unexpectedly and the car was sold.  I am in a sea of foreign cars in the neighborhood and no one nearby who is a car person to chat with. My two old guy neighbors, both 85+, would rather discuss the weeds in the yard and why they like John Deere riding tractors.  That’s why I’m always on here, at least I can communicate with someone!

I still say regardless of what some say a 4 door model a is a slower seller than a sportier model which you are competing with for Model A dollars. 

49 pages of 1930 model A related cars or cars themselves come up on hemmings when I d oa search under cars and put 1930 Model A in the title.  That's your competition. 

I would also put a for sale sign in it.  It doesn't need to be a huge one. You might not sell it to anyone in the neighbor hood but people mow lawns in the neighbor hood pick up trash, come to visit,  including parents and though they may not buy it,  they may know the old car guy that they tell about it,  will. 

Paint jobs are also huge killers.  then you end up with restoring the whole car before you are done.  Any paint work is a huge nail in the selling coffin.  

I would rather sell a car with beautiful paint and no engine than one that looks shabby and needs paint but has a brand new engine and tranny , driving like it just left the factory. 

I know first hand.  Been there and done that with both a 36 Chrysler Convertible and 48 Plymouth Convertible.  

Sold a beautiful looking 59 Tbird convertible that looked almost new with fresh paint and interior with really nice chrome and new top,  but had an exhaust leak,  crappy brakes and some other mechanical issues toe the first guy to look at it. He didn't care because it looked brand new and was priced not cheap but very reasonable.  It actually got bought and shipped overseas.  

My work is in a very well to do suburb, so we don't have any shortage of italian and german exotica (would see a newish ferrari at least once a week and AMG/M/RS daily)

In terms of old stuff, generally limited to older british stuff like rolls royce's or bentleys

32 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

VL2, I was in the market for a Model A and then this showed up on BAT!!!1462246392_66GTO.jpg.33fd07323ac54684546211047813fa0d.jpg

Nice!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Print is good for Buyers - not Sellers.

There are Sellers who do not list vehicles for sale on the interweb for various reasons.

Sometimes - a Seller’s  idea of pricing is way off  with regard to current value - in a direction that favors a Buyer.

I recently transported this early Cadillac that sold for 30% or less of market value.

I can’t be more specific as to the year - model - price or what print publication 

it was advertised in.

Jim

2FB5525C-EA4F-4510-9E3F-42B63F1AE0A1.jpeg.578a9e14fece33f4da7c17dfa48f386c.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

That's the problem,  if I started looking for a Model A,  like I did for comps to your car to see about pricing,  I stumbled across a 1929 Studebaker 8 Victoria that needed work but wasn't a huge project for 6500.  I don't care how hard parts are to get,  this sucker wins hands down over a model a tudor sedan or vicky which would be priced equally or hire at this point in this shape. 

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/avenel-studebaker-1929-vicky/6912544760.html

Boy it's easy to get distracted.  

I like pre war but get distracted easy and this is somewhere on the bucket list as well.  a 68 for 14G.  I should have already figured out a way to go look / Afford this one. 

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/d/rutherford-1968-firebird-convertible/6912198178.html

Then there is this super clean 58 Buick hardtop for 19500 asking. 

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/marcy-king-of-chrome-1958-buick-2dr-ht/6913473936.html

Just way to many distractions at all different but affordable price points.  

This is just a sampling from my local craigslist. 

Maybe it really is becoming a buyer's market.  Bad for me selling my 40 Ford coupe,  but good if I decide to liquidate it to buy something else. 

00303_iv6K8oKQJj5_600x450.jpg

00v0v_bUBnBqKN3MS_600x450.jpg

01414_k2D3FHtWXC7_600x450.jpg

36 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Here's a little kick start for you mrcvs.

I see there are 11 watching already.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Ford-Model-A-Green/223554052543?hash=item340cdc21bf:g:GeoAAOSw5K5dBrYv

That’s not that many. I had a lot more on my sold listings, even early on. However, it just takes 1 to buy!

• Like 1