Long distance driving/traveling with vintage cars

TTR

5 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Is there a reason you can't have your car near home?

It is, and even that's a huge limiting factor.  After working long hours, you just don't feel like driving somewhere else after driving all day for work.  I live in a residential neighborhood (not ideal by any means) and a 2 bay garage with no excess space means the car has to be elsewhere.  I'm sure if it was on my property, tinkering with it, and achieving productive results, would make it more enjoyable.  But heading over to a dark barn and putting a battery in, given limited time, and it not firing means that I have to try and see why it won't fire, which is more time I don't have.

This would be a MUCH better hobby if I was retired and had unlimited time.  Until then, maybe I just sell the Model A, and the Maxwell sits in my garage, more or less, with occasional spells where it actually runs.

17 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

. . . I have done serious damage to cars in the heat of anger and then I've had to fix them. . .

I have a cousin who placed an old car hood against the side of his barn. When an auto repair was not going well and he started losing his temper, he'd grab a hammer and beat on the old hood. Saved the real vehicle from being the physical target of his frustration.

I've done my fair share of damage, some of it due to impatience but most of it was due to ignorance. There is something to be said for having a low end car with easy to source parts as a "learner car" when you start turning a wrench.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ply33 said:

I have a cousin who placed an old car hood against the side of his barn. When an auto repair was not going well and he started losing his temper, he'd grab a hammer and beat on the old hood. Saved the real vehicle from being the physical target of his frustration.

Well, that's fine and all, but it doesn't really teach the car to fear you, now does it?

I will say that since the last car to misbehave came back as a 3x3 cube, the others have been behaving rather well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, that's fine and all, but it doesn't really teach the car to fear you, now does it?

I will say that since the last car to misbehave came back as a 3x3 cube, the others have been behaving rather well...

Are you telling us you crushed the Lincoln??😧

I'll say this Rick : If a therapeutic sacrifice was made of that demon, I sure hope a yousetube video with proper incantations was made.      -   CC 

P.S.  And speaking of therapy.......................

While some of the later replies have nothing substantive to contribute to the subject matter I started this thread for I feel somewhat  compelled to share my views on them.

I’ve never understood the destructive/violent behavior toward inanimate objects some (too many ?) individuals tend to exhibit by acting out their personal frustrations or shortcomings, be it in a hobby, work or life in general.

What makes it even more disturbing and sad (at least to me) is that time and time again we all have heard/read/seen evidence of such individuals acting out in similar fashion toward other people around them, including and unfortunately way too often their own family members (i.e. children, elderly, spouses, etc).

As far as I’m concerned or understood, hobbies, be they antique/classic/etc vehicles, knitting or surfing are supposed provide personal leisure & pleasure, not make one behave violently.

If latter occurs, it’s a pretty clear indication (at least to me) the given hobby not likely being a right for that individual.

End of rant.

I do understand difficulties staying focused in todays interactive social media world present to many, but could we we please get back to sharing experiences of long distance driving/vacation road trips in vintage cars (or motorcycles).

Or if everyone is done with this subject, I’ll just move on too and continue my search (in apparent vain?) of forum where more members do above frequently and don’t mind sharing their experiences. Any suggestions?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TTR said:

While some of the later replies have nothing substantive to contribute to the subject matter I started this thread for I feel somewhat  compelled to share my views on them.

I’ve never understood the destructive/violent behavior toward inanimate objects some (too many ?) individuals tend to exhibit by acting out their personal frustrations or shortcomings, be it in a hobby, work or life in general.

What makes it even more disturbing and sad (at least to me) is that time and time again we all have heard/read/seen evidence of such individuals acting out in similar fashion toward other people around them, including and unfortunately way too often their own family members (i.e. children, elderly, spouses, etc).

As far as I’m concerned or understood, hobbies, be they antique/classic/etc vehicles, knitting or surfing are supposed provide personal leisure & pleasure, not make one behave violently.

If latter occurs, it’s a pretty clear indication (at least to me) the given hobby not likely being a right for that individual.

End of rant.

Can we please get back to sharing experiences of long distance driving/vacation road trip in vintage cars (or motorcycles).

Or if everyone is done with this subject, I’ll just move on too and continue my search (in vain?) of forum where more members do above frequently and don’t mind sharing their experiences. Any suggestions?

Are you implying that because I joke about beating up cars that I must also abuse my kids? You feel that you know me well enough to decide that since you're not getting what you want out of the discussion, the people having a conversation are abusers?

Wow. Nice. Must be awesome to be a perfect person.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TTR said:

End of rant.

Can we please get back to sharing experiences of long distance driving/vacation road trip in vintage cars (or motorcycles).

Or if everyone is done with this subject, I’ll just move on too and continue my search (in vain?) of forum where more members do above frequently and don’t mind sharing their experiences. Any suggestions?

You asked for suggestions

1) Lighten up.

2) If unable #1, then do as you threatened to do in your next to last sentence.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Are you implying that because I joke about beating up cars that I must also abuse my kids? You feel that you know me well enough to decide that since you're not getting what you want out of the discussion, the people having a conversation are abusers?

Wow. Nice. Must be awesome to be a perfect person.

I thought it was a joke???  Did you really crush a problematic car?  I would never be destructive to anything I own as it is wasteful and deprives future generations of enjoyment.

Occasionally I recognize that I have an opportunity to spread a little oil on storm tossed waters. Matt Harwood is an exceptionally fine human being ; I am privileged to have him as a true forum friend. He has some wounds to lick, please don't rip the forming scabs from his psyche. For example, Matt removed a vexing topic. Included in it was a state-of-the-art metal removing technique. I think the process was abbreviated with a 2 or 3 letter name starting with E. Anyone know or remember what that is ? I don't want to bug Matt at all by bringing up a sore topic. O.K. ?

Our highly esteemed new friend,TTR, has posed a valuable, fun topic. He has asked to re-boot to that. Therefore, the very best contribution I can make at this moment is to supply two key words to be used independently in the search box. This is for TTR and anyone else who does not know of my road trip of three years ago. Mentone. Jockos. Each of these will lead you to one or the other of my topics. "PORTLAND -'FRISCO-L.A.-'VEGAS -SEATTLE IN A 1927 CADILLAC ",  and "CADILLAC CARL'S 1927 (MISS ?)-ADVENTURES", or something very close to that. With apologies for my sloppy first efforts, I do hope that you find something worthwhile therin. As an exculpatory offering, I refer you to a piece of professional grade photojournalism. Enter "Crater" in the 'box. (Finding one unusual word for search sometimes helps immensely). That will bring up a Route 66 trip in a 1949 Buick. I suggest you struggle with my puny postings first. You will have little patience for my prattle after the delights of the product of the master's hand and eye.

Again, spreading a little oil is preferable to fanning the flames in this magnificent camp.

Heartily welcoming you, TTR !!!! You can be justifiably proud of having thoroughly become one of US !   ENJOY !!!!        Your forum friend,   -   Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

"I've got you.....", sang Ol' Blue Eyes, "........ under my skin". Don't let this 'Frisco stuff get to you. I believe we are just having fun, as I have seen you jivin' around with other friendly cats and chicks here. It was said back in the day when the day was the DAY, that those who were newcomers to S.F. were put off to hear their newly found domicile so abruptly and vulgarly abrieveated. The REAL Barbary Coasters enjoyed any terms of endearment lavished on their beloved turf. But I am just an interloper. So if you are not just funnin' with me, and I am beginning to actually bug you, please continue to admonish me by P.M. and I will cease and desist. After all you have been through in your remarkable life, I don't picture you as wearing thin skin, and that very little gets under it. I can't imagine that an affectionate nickname would bother a native San Franciscan. But................. : Ain't youse a East Bay Boy ?     -    CC     😉

Thank you Cadillac Carl, for understanding and offering advise how to access your previously published travel adventures all which, based on a quick preview I saw, I look forward to reading as soon as possible.

To those who were offended by my comments, I apologize, 

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

"I've got you.....", sang Ol' Blue Eyes, "........ under my skin". Don't let this 'Frisco stuff get to you. I believe we are just having fun, as I have seen you jivin' around with other friendly cats and chicks here. It was said back in the day when the day was the DAY, that those who were newcomers to S.F. were put off to hear their newly found domicile so abruptly and vulgarly abrieveated. The REAL Barbary Coasters enjoyed any terms of endearment lavished on their beloved turf. But I am just an interloper. So if you are not just funnin' with me, and I am beginning to actually bug you, please continue to admonish me by P.M. and I will cease and desist. After all you have been through in your remarkable life, I don't picture you as wearing thin skin, and that very little gets under it. I can't imagine that an affectionate nickname would bother a native San Franciscan. But................. : Ain't youse a East Bay Boy ?     -    CC

No worries, Carl, that's a very, very minor irritation in the greater scheme of things.  "Don't Call It Frisco" is also the title of an iconic book by the late Herb Caen, inveterate SF Chronicler (pun intended) of movers, shakers, and little people in the City by the Bay.  I was and am an East Bay kiddo but commuted to HS in SF--so long ago that I rode the Key System trains on the bottom deck of the Bay Bridge.

Over a 25-year period--but not the last 10 years, friends in Piedmont with a Victorian home hosted an annual Earthquake Party on April 18, with arrival time at 0445.  A Bentley Speed Six had driveway honors.  At 0512, a red ribbon attached to the living room chandelier was tugged, we all looked at period books opened to photos of the destruction, and hoisted glasses of champagne in toasts who those who perished and those who survived.  Meanwhile, the Clark Gable film "Barbary Coast" was playing on a VCR.  We then repaired to the back yard for flapjacks, more champagne, and watching the large scale model trains make a circuit of the yard.  On weekdays, some of us even made it to work, if a bit tardy.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, C Carl said:

Occasionally I recognize that I have an opportunity to spread a little oil on storm tossed waters. Matt Harwood is an exceptionally fine human being ; I am privileged to have him as a true forum friend. He has some wounds to lick, please don't rip the forming scabs from his psyche. For example, Matt removed a vexing topic. Included in it was a state-of-the-art metal removing technique. I think the process was abbreviated with a 2 or 3 letter name starting with E. Anyone know or remember what that is ? I don't want to bug Matt at all by bringing up a sore topic. O.K. ?

Our highly esteemed new friend,TTR, has posed a valuable, fun topic. He has asked to re-boot to that. Therefore, the very best contribution I can make at this moment is to supply two key words to be used independently in the search box. This is for TTR and anyone else who does not know of my road trip of three years ago. Mentone. Jockos. Each of these will lead you to one or the other of my topics. "PORTLAND -'FRISCO-L.A.-'VEGAS -SEATTLE IN A 1927 CADILLAC ",  and "CADILLAC CARL'S 1927 (MISS ?)-ADVENTURES", or something very close to that. With apologies for my sloppy first efforts, I do hope that you find something worthwhile therin. As an exculpatory offering, I refer you to a piece of professional grade photojournalism. Enter "Crater" in the 'box. (Finding one unusual word for search sometimes helps immensely). That will bring up a Route 66 trip in a 1949 Buick. I suggest you struggle with my puny postings first. You will have little patience for my prattle after the delights of the product of the master's hand and eye.

Again, spreading a little oil is preferable to fanning the flames in this magnificent camp.

Heartily welcoming you, TTR !!!! You can be justifiably proud of having thoroughly become one of US !   ENJOY !!!!        Your forum friend,   -   Cadillac Carl 

Thank you Carl, for olive branches and directions to absolutely wonderful stories. So far, I've managed read the two of yours and I must say, I'm delighted with both, your wordsmith and great photo documentation. These are the kind of stories I was hoping to see chronicled and compiled under a single (this ?) thread title.

I also found it amazing that several of your roadside photos taken in Southern CA (below S.F.) and NV appeared to have been in same spots I've taken shots of my Roadster. 

Some even looked like our cars might've been standing on same "paw prints" on the ground. 

I hope you won't mind me saying that I was also extremely impressed with your apparent determination and enthusiasm to embark on these adventures in your very respectable maturity. I certainly hope I have ability, both in health and wit, to continue my vintage travels to anywhere near age (I'm not even 60 yet). 

I've enjoyed plenty of them myself in past +/-40  years already, but feel many more are still running in my motor oil soaked veins, waiting to be explored.

So if any of you have and still care to share your stories here, long or short and especially with pre-war cars, I for one sure wouldn't mind reading and seeing photos about them and they might inspire others to share theirs.

Even if they've been previously posted somewhere else on this (or some other ?) forum, just a link to them would be great, but preferably by the author her-/himself to make the stories feel more personal. 

Otherwise this thread, like millions before it on millions of forums, will just quickly wither away into oblivion.

In case anyone is interested and hopefully to get us back on track, here's link to a thread on "another" forum where I "chronicled" some of my vintage drives & travels, starting with a 15 day, 2700+ mile trip wife & I did from Riverside, CA to Yellowstone Nat'l Park and back: 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/grand-touring-with-a-vintage-hot-rod.1078948/

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, C Carl said:

...a state-of-the-art metal removing technique. I think the process was abbreviated with a 2 or 3 letter name starting with E. Anyone know or remember what that is ?

Don't remember the post, but you might be referring to EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining).

I’m a big fan of touring reports!  Those who travel with a bit of devil may care toward modern conveniences make my day.  I used to tour by motorcycle, not one of those big bikes with all types of storage and large motors but by the smaller displacement stuff with just a luggage rack behind the seat.  My big tours were done on a 1982 Suzuki 750 four cylinder.  Every day was a new adventure and an opportunity to discover new places and people.  Cheers to those keeping motoring adventure alive!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

That tailgate has “character” IMHO, just like an old truck should. 😉 

I think Frank and Mike on American Pickers paid $300 for one like yours but with a few bullet holes in it for someone's man cave.

Edited by mrcvs (see edit history)

This picture makes it look better than it actually is.

My body guy (now moved away to the Philippines of all places darn it) didn't want to work on it as there are some significant dents in quite heavy metal.

I had my eye on a similar short box pick up that is two years newer, wrecked in the front but has a really straight box and tail gate and the bonus of having gone away from those chains but rather has a single handle in the center that would make the tail gate much more user friendly.

But alas the seller thinks it is made of gold.

23 hours ago, mrcvs said:

I think Frank and Mike on American Pickers paid $300 for one like yours but with a few bullet holes in it for someone's man cave.

I believe that but recent conversations about those guys seems to prove fake news.  :lol:

On 6/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, victorialynn2 said:

I would, but first I need to find a male companion to travel with me who has mechanical skills and can tolerate me and l can tolerate long enough... (Not likely) 😂

Sounds like fun though! 

Good luck with your search. 😉

If it proves successful and leads to any road trip travels with vintage car(s), please be sure to share them here. 😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TTR said:

Good luck with your search. 😉

If it proves successful and leads to any road trip travels with vintage car(s), please be sure to share them here. 😁

Definitely not searching. Doubt I will stumble across it either, and if I did I’d likely run the opposite direction. I’ve had enough bad life experience with relationships. I’m not sure I’d survive another. This journey with my father has been the last straw. My nerves can no longer handle losing people I care about.

Soon I will be embarking on a new career where I can help seniors. (Providing information on preserving wealth with reverse mortgages for a well known, highly rated, major national company). I’m thrilled to find a way to help seniors after seeing how vulnerable a state that I found my father in.

That is all the purpose I need in life besides being a mother. 😉

While our 3000+ mile road trip vacation we were supposed to leave for this past weekend was forced into postponement due to an unexpected emergency, I took advantage of freshly serviced ride and great weather by spending a half a Sunday enjoying 100+ miles of spirited driving on scenic and at times wonderfully challenging (read twisty) roads up on nearby mountains, managing almost 8000 ft. elevation changes (reached nearly 8500 ft. and we live at +/-800 ft.) with plenty of photo-op-, “relief”-, snack- & short hiking/stretching stops along the way.

Here’s a couple of roadside shots.

Unusually green/lush nature and wildflowers galore for the area:

A09CB41D-5E90-4F35-A65A-B2045D5931B9.jpeg

Big Bear Lake:

62A41D72-FD3B-4496-BE17-B61CE57846F0.jpeg

Wonderful road on the steep hillside with plenty of hairpin twists and turns, many with 10-15MPH suggested speeds, etc.

Real, “more fun than barrel of monkeys” old school driving experience and IMO beats any day at any car show or other static display gathering.

F075F25A-01E7-4521-8210-CE0199640325.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Check out this one 17 years on the road and five kids in a 1928 Graham-Paige 610 (smallest Graham built).

Couple globetrotting for 17 years heading home with 4 kids as souvenirs

zapp-argentina

Thanks.

Yes, I’m familiar with their epic journey, have read (in print) several excerpts and someday hope to have time to read more.

Just hoping to read more from others, as I believe sharing these types of (positive ?) experiences will help others, especially younger generations, to see that not all vintage cars are owned by stuffy old hoarders (or so called collectors/ museums/etc) who only trailer them to shows or “special events” for participation plaque or win trophies and believe only “theirs” is worth a premium if offered for sale.

I just want to illustrate that even pre-war cars & technology can be reliable and provide great amount individual/personal fun & driving pleasure if one chooses to approach the hobby in that respect.

OTOH, having been a full-time antique/classic/vintage car enthusiast for nearly 50 years and driving them extensively for nearly 40, I know I’m in very small minority within old car hobby.

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Check out this one 17 years on the road and five kids in a 1928 Graham-Paige 610 (smallest Graham built).

Not to belittle their epic journey. 

One has to take into consideration all the repairs that were done in different cities and countries by local people and shops at no charge to the family.  This journey was not a trouble free example to show how easy high mile trips are taken with old cars.  They spent several weeks in my hometown with free lodging while donated work was done on their engine with local people supplying the parts free.

Tinindian,

I agree with you, I also have a problem with the donations (I sent them a used BB1), but it also highlights how willing people are to help.  I was amazed at a guy that did not even know how to change a tire could head out on this type of journey.  (I think there are a lot of us that wish we could take this trip with our old cars)  If you ever get a chance to read about Alice Ramsey trip across the US in 1909, she had the same basic question we are asking today.

I would say the largest problem I have had with driving my old cars is running out of gas, I should fix the fuel gauge in some of my cars.  I always obsess over their age, some over 90 years old, but they seldom let me down.  Guess is what I am saying is go for it!

48 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

I should fix the fuel gauge in some of my cars.

I drove for years with a stick as a gas gauge.  Back in the early 60's it was impossible to find King Seeley fluid, finally I discovered that Ford used the same gas gauge and fixed the gauge in the 80's.  Sure easier to look a the dash rather than trying to calculate the consumption using wind, temp, time and speed.  Lots of time wasted checking or stopping and filling up with 5 gallons.  Once I trusted it I could drive over  three and a half hours without stopping.  Met less people but got farther in a day.  Best one day trip was just over 600 miles.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, TTR said:

While our 3000+ mile road trip vacation we were supposed to leave for this past weekend was forced into postponement due to an unexpected emergency, I took advantage of freshly serviced ride and great weather by spending a half a Sunday enjoying 100+ miles of spirited driving on scenic and at times wonderfully challenging (read twisty) roads up on nearby mountains, managing almost 8000 ft. elevation changes (reached nearly 8500 ft. and we live at +/-800 ft.) with plenty of photo-op-, “relief”-, snack- & short hiking/stretching stops along the way.

Since we were forced to cancel/postpone our “big trip” for this summer and I enjoyed last Sundays drive so much, wife & I decided to rent a cabin in the same area for couple days next week to enjoy more great driving and nature hikes. 

A45F1C71-852D-4322-A8EA-FBD4084B659B.jpeg

Initially we thought of going go up this Friday, but I want to be in town Saturday to check out some of rides participating in The Great Race.

21 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Why was it all done for free?

Because they were far from home, had little or no money and old car nuts are generous to a fault.

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Because there is one born every minute and two to take him.

28 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Because they were far from home, had little or no money and old car nuts are generous to a fault.

I have to admit I agree with both views in general, although Zapp family saga not-necessarily-withstanding to first assessment.

All that aside, I’m still waiting for more “personal experience” contributions to this thread, please.

" new career where I can help seniors" want to help seniors ? Move to Orlando. Personally always preferred a lady companion on road trips, I can handle mechanical issues & have AAA premium.

• Like 1

Today I drove my 1937 Buick Century a little over half way from Wilmington, NC to Canton, Ohio for the 36-38 Buick Club tour. We will drive the rest of the way tomorrow. We are spending the night in Princeton, WV after traveling 377 miles today. This car is a survivor and still equipped with a 6 volt system and bias ply tires.  

DSC_0450.JPG

• Like 7