Golden opportunity or curse for sale? Garage full of contents on Craigslist $8500

auburnseeker

NOT Mine!!!

I saw this ad on Craigslist and thought I would pass it along as I have been messing with parts and cars long enough to be able to walk by these deals and just smile,  deciding not bringing a mess like this home to sort out as a smart move.  

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/pts/d/agawam-amazing-opportunity-cars-and/6876771289.html

Amazing Opportunity! Cars and Parts! - $8500 (Agawam) 

Please read first! 

I'm liquidating the contents of my late father's garage for my mom who is selling and moving out of state. Everything MUST be removed in EIGHT weeks time. No exceptions. Ideally you are a professional reseller and have a crew and the ability to do so. Calls only! I will answer my phone regarding this sale between 7:00 -8:00 pm Monday through Friday. Likely the first response will buy the lot. It's priced to sell.

The contents include but aren't limited to a 1959 Ford Skyliner retractable. A 1963 Ford Monaco edition Thunderbird. Bags full of sealed 60s-70s Ford and GM parts. Hubcaps. Chrome and grilles. Horns, sirens and lights. Boxes of auto owners manuals and ephemera. Keychains. A barber chair. A brand new generator. A Honda generator. Seats. Doorpanels. Dashes. All from cars in the 60s and 70s. Some general tools. Bolts, screws and hardware. A vintage roll bar with lights for a Ford PU. Trans Am parts. A Yamaha motorcycle. Scrap metal and soooo much more. This is a rare opportunity to buy barn fresh stuff. Nothing in the garage was put here past 1993. 

All of the auto and transportation goes at the set price. NOTHING will be split up. A contract will be signed by seller and buyer. You will take it ALL and you will make a fortune! 

* °•●□ Calls between Monday and Friday 7:00 -8:00 pm□●○•°* No dreamers. No strokers. No nonsense please. No texts! Calls only!  show contact info . Price is firm. 

413 351 1105

00v0v_4hcvvSfoW5j_600x450.jpg

I would think the retractable is worth more than the $8500 asking price. Sounds like you could take the entire lot to HERSHEY and do alright.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

"You will take all and you will make a fortune"  🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

You vill do it NOW!! 😁

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I would think the retractable is worth more than the $8500 asking price. Sounds like you could take the entire lot to HERSHEY and do alright.

Sure could be. If I were young and strong, ambitious and nearby, I would definitely consider it. Especially if the sleeping cars were worth at least starting up.   -   Carl 

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Sure could be. If I were young and strong, ambitious and nearby, I would definitely consider it. Especially if the sleeping cars were worth at least starting up.   -   Carl 

Carl, your putting four qualifiers on your present state!  I’ll give you the nearby qualifier as an out, the rest could be argued away over a few drinks! 🥴

Oh Terry ! Very few things in my current life would give me such pleasure ! With you  : "a few drinks" would be a unique, but welcome experience. Since my diagnosis, I have been allowed 1/2 a light beer from time to time. I'm good at/with that. As long as a designated driver helped, it would be fairly safe fun to deviate from that limit. I used to drink. A LOT ! But I am not the least bit alcoholic. Youth, strength, and ambition certainly might be an enjoyable illusion, fueled by the good old "grape"! As you know from the messages we have shared, your strength and attitude serves as tremendous inspiration to me, and I am sure many others too. At this point in my life, I think I have one more cross country trip still available to me. I would love to visit you and share those drinks !    -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

wish there were more ads liked this. Thanks Auburn for presenting this ad. really looks like a lot of fun- and a tremendous amount of work!

did this one time on parts for a couple of thousand. Fortunately I found an NOS autronic eye in the pile- complete.

It saved the day. otherwise I would have been upside down. Will never do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless a pile like this came up and was all brass............. good to dream!

• Like 1

I still do it,  but with literature.  Less rust and scrap. 

I used to buy those lots but really got tired of all the junk for the little gold.  I swear almost every lot was salted.  Once you dug in,  there was rarely any treasure beneath the surface.  The only reason I came out ahead on most was I bought just about every parts book printed from the 30's through the 80's in 5 year or less increments and all the parts/ price histories so. I could identify the few good pieces the last guy couldn't.   Lots of wasted time spent researching what looked like a very promising part only to find out it fit a full size olds in the late 60's or some other dud car(in parts terms) that no one needs parts for.  I think this is the reason you see alot of 80's parts scrapped out. I have had some really nice 80's tail light lenses in the GM boxes  (these are the big fancy ones with the emblems in them I think for Buicks) They have been on ebay for 10 years for between $10 and 20. without a single sale.  Kind of tells you the market isn't there as even nice cars often need a replacement.  

My guess is alot of the good parts are gone. They are easy to sell off.  The rest will be work.   I think even if you dragged all the parts to Hershey and threw them even on Dollar piles,  you would go home with quite a pile of them still.  There could be value in the car,  but two cars sitting in a garage (and not the tidiest mouse proof facility) since 1993 are not going to be huge gems.  Yes you could make money but you are going to work for it. A 63 Tbird that's been sitting that long is a $3500 car tops unless it's really nice.  It will be fun for an hour or so.  Maybe even the first day (doubtful) ,  but then it becomes work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately most of the rusty junk left is just that.  Take off parts from a 65 Mustang or 70 Chevelle that are readily available.  Stuff like that comprised mush of what I found or old brake parts, especially boxes of shoes and linings. Old gaskets, that's what most lots were comprised of.  even when they were NOS they were often damaged new parts or things that nobody needed for cars that weren't being done.  I had a few , what I would call virgin hauls, that I did OK,  but then again they were far from cheap.  When you lay out $7500 to buy a parts lot and there is not many items worth over $100 it's a long uphill battle.  The savior was ebay as I would never feel right charging a guy $500 for some obscure part that you hoped was worth $10 but he was happy to get it for $500.  THat's all that saved my Bacon on many of the buys I made.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

No.  These are iconic cars to be sure but have a niche market and I have seen many of these for $5000 and a lot less. 59 - sure was the last year but arguably the least attractive version. Obviously, super complicated and likely a rusted out mess. 

Remember, you have to have people to sell the parts too, and there has been a steep reduction in garage level hobby restorations. This fellow (i.e. nothing out in here since 1993) is the poster child for the declining interest. 

This is a classic next gen guy faced with finally having to do something and wanting someone ELSE to do it.  Remember that huge pre war Lincoln thread where the whole lot was for sale for like $130,000?  This is it on a smaller scale.  NOW this guy is faced with a time crunch that he could have easily avoided.  By doing an auction, he maximizes the sale (he won't get anywhere near $8500, and the longer he waits, the harder it will be) gets a large crowd of perhaps interested buyers who will do something with the parts and cars, and then can afford a dumpster to put the junk in!  

Seriously, this sale is all about someone doing the heavy lifting and that person must have the space for it, the equipment, the time, and a fond interest in some or all of what this fellow collected.  I will predict that a large amount of junk will still be there in 8 weeks because the seller won't budge on price, the word will get out, and the local old car community will all know, and pass.

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

I looked at a Cadillac Collection like this,  including several 30's Cars.  A few open ones.  Some done,  most not,  some mere parts and a huge parts inventory with them,  much of which wasn't even Cadillac.  The family wanted to sell everything in one shot.  I took a look not knowing a price and thinking I could buy some of the non Cadillac parts for my business,  but they didn't want to separate anything for fear that some of the parts might end up being Cadillac.  There price was around a million for the collection.  Way out of my league.  I told them because of the amount of stuff.  We are talking probably 25 to 30 cars,  that realistically the best way to liquidate the collection would be to auction it off.  Have a company come in.  I said they will auction off evetyhing incoluding the garbage and the garabge can.  You will get a check,  they will do a lot of the work,  but all the stuff will be gone.   I doubt they ever sold it.  I have never heard of an auction having taken place.  The location of the comllection is not good either for parking as it's in a small city and the parking in the area isn't very good.  It's also not in the best part of the city.  

The last '59 Ford retractable I saw was on a rollback at the local scrap yard. Came flying in, stopped on the scale and within five minutes was stacked on top of some 2012 whatever. There may have been others at a car show that I didn't notice, that era of home restorations has ended. Bob 

I would love to have a 58 Retractable.  I see one (57-59) at a car show here in central Iowa about once a year.   I suppose that era generally is well supported by Dennis Carpenter and those sorts of vendors and I am sure there is a dedicated club. But to do a restoration of one out of a garage - if that is the car for you - then I can't see spending over $3,000 on one.  Like this 59.   I would hazard to guess it could be parted out for $2,000 to $4,000, that there are Retractable parts hoarders (with good reason) and club members that would surely take parts off your hands. 

I don't run in Retractable circles but what would a nice #2 or #3 car go for ?  $25,000 to $50,000?  Now I'm curious. 

There is no photo of the 63 Thunderbird but that one - to me - would be more interesting.  Whatever Monaco means.

Just now, auburnseeker said:

The Monaco is a special edition with some extra trim and a Vinyl roof with landau bars.  Really adds very little if any to the value,  you just paid more for it when it was new.

Thank you, I'm walking by a bit faster now. 

• Haha 1

1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD MONACO EDITION COUPE - Front 3/4 - 81322

In 1963 Ford Motor Company presented the first of these Limited Edition Thunderbird Landaus to Prince Rainier of Monaco as part of a lavish mid-model year product introduction organized around the participation of three Holman & Moody prepared V-8 Falcons in the Monte Carlo Rally in January. Just 2,000 were built, each with Corinthian White paint, Dark Rose Beige vinyl roof, padded dash and carpet, white leather seats, simulated Rosewood interior trim, deluxe wheel covers, rear fender shields, white steering wheel with unique center insert and an individually numbered model nameplate on the center console. The Prince Rainier car was featured in special advertisements pictured at the entrance to the Monte Carlo Opera House. This is number 578 and it has been restored to like new condition, 

Status    Sold
Price    $26,400.00

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1963-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-MONACO-EDITION-COUPE-81322

I remember that Pierce-Arrow from one of the little Floyd Clymer books in the 1960's, there should be a photo of Amelia Earhart's Kissel Gold Bug a few pages from it. That was what we had to read back them, sure made a positive impression. Bob 

My Mother and I did something similar with one of my Dad's buildings fulllllll of stufffff. We had an interested buyer, we agreed on a price for it to be cleaned to the walls no cherry picking and then rented him the building for 18 months while he cleaned it out. I figure we sold for 10-20 cents on the dollar but would have taken 10 years of serious flea marketing to get full value, not what I want to do in retirement. Plus my Mother got rent on a building she wasn't using.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw the same ad on Facebook. I’ve bought bulk lots for model trains and coins and done okay. From the looks of it, this stuff has been in that garage for a long time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

My Mother and I did something similar with one of my Dad's buildings fulllllll of stufffff. We had an interested buyer, we agreed on a price for it to be cleaned to the walls no cherry picking and then rented him the building for 18 months while he cleaned it out. I figure we sold for 10-20 cents on the dollar but would have taken 10 years of serious flea marketing to get full value, not what I want to do in retirement. Plus my Mother got rent on a building she wasn't using.

Jim

That was an awesome example of how it should be done. But alas, most of these ads are from folks who wait way too long procrastinating then want it gone yesterday!

Your example shows how unrealistic it is to expect someone to move stuff out on a tight deadline.  I hope auburnseeker and others keep an eye on this ad to see the eventual resolution. 

• Like 1

I think ephemera was the key word in the whole sale, as literally as you can take it.

Our local library has a monthly display of people's hobby related items. one month I did it with car items. I made a nice placard "Things I saved from being thrown out". Pretty much follows the intent of auto manufacturers.

Reminds me of the Rolls-Royce owner who called the factory to inquire about a steering ram for his 40 year old auto. After a long delay a second voice came on the phone. "We are sorry your misfortune does not allow you the wherewithal to purchase a new automobile and wish you the best of luck finding the part". Weren't supposed to keep the stuff that long.

Bernie

Between selling the 59 Ford and 63 T-Bird for $5000 each you're covered. Or keep one and sell off all the parts, generator,etc it should still be a win for someone who like to pick and flea market resell.

Well, Bernie, Amazon is a much better place to sell used books!😉

Especially if it has an ISBN, which that Floyd Clymer book clearly is too old to have. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002E20C8M

You do not get rich selling old books typically, but it does help get unused books off the shelf!

4 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Between selling the 59 Ford and 63 T-Bird for $5000 each you're covered. Or keep one and sell off all the parts, generator,etc it should still be a win for someone who like to pick and flea market resell.

As mentioned, a 63 Tbird Monaco in the condition the retractable is in would be a tough sell for anything over 3500 and that's on a good day.  It goes down fast in value if it's worse.   I like Bullet birds and had a 63 Coupe and a 61 Convertible that I both drove alot in the last 15 years but they are not loved by most people who are looking to part with cash. 

• Like 1