Boyce Moto Meter Fluid Trick

TerryB

From my 1922 Boyce MotoMeter salesman’s catalog.  This trick is often mentioned as a way to get the red fluid back to the bottom of the gauge and here it is in print to verify this method.  It’s winter, cold and snowy so I’m going through some of my old literature for entertainment.

4DAB2AB0-120F-4294-86C1-E56CE04D794D.jpeg

• Like 1

There have been a couple evenings of my life spent doing a combination of the above method and beating a motometer on an old tire. It works. I don’t know if it helped, but I also stored them upright in the freezer for a while before starting the work. 

• Like 2

Shhhh- you gave away my secret for buying them CHEEEEEEP.  When I point out the red is all the way up and it doesn't work anymore the price always goes down!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Shhhh- you gave away my secret for buying them CHEEEEEEP.  When I point out the red is all the way up and it doesn't work anymore the price always goes down!

Terry

Dang Terry, I thought I was the only one that used that line.  Great minds do think alike.

I used to use thermometers quite frequently and we had a centrifuge to put them in and spin the fluid down.   The centrifuge also had a substantial shield because if the thermometer came loose while you were spinning  it could do a lot of damage.  SSomething to remember if you are making something like Spinneyhill suggests.

"What goes up,must come down,right."

When it comes to motometers? Not necessarily. I have one I bought about fifteen years ago (and never needed on a car), that had the red up to the top. I have carefully kept it upright ever since, and it hasn't fallen yet.

I have fixed several by beating them onto a tire, only once did that result in breaking the motometer, and it showed old cracks that actually caused the breakage (I did also buy a replacement thermometer when they were available and a little J B Weld made it nearly as good as new!). I have also talked with a few people that attached their's to the spokes of a bicycle wheel and spun it until it settled okay.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:44 PM, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Me too !

I believe it’s a chain with a spring loaded “T” on the end.  The chain attaches to the motometer and radiator cap.  The T folds up and you insert it into the radiator.  When the folded T releases it’s bigger than the radiator opening.  It makes it difficult to walk away with the motometer and cap or loose it when filling the radiator.

A not so dedicated person just yanks the cap a few times hoping it will break and pull out. And they usually will. After doing  some expensive damage to your radiator and/or shell.

The other problem with those anti-theft chains is, have you ever wanted to check or add water you your radiator with one? Can't take it off. Can't set it down. Cap has to hang there, dangling on the chain. being knocked against either the radiator or your nicely painted hood.

Somewhere, I have one of those chains (I don't know where it is). I was advised many years ago to think twice about using it, and after looking it over decided against it.

14 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

A not so dedicated person just yanks the cap a few times hoping it will break and pull out. And they usually will. After doing  some expensive damage to your radiator and/or shell.

You just explained why I see felt ropes placed around cars with an angry looking guy sitting behind the car at a car show.