1929 Nash 4 passenger coupe w/rumble seat

dcwilliamson

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I see a CA tag.  Is it still in CA.  It will have a little different value in different parts of the country.  

Do you know about any of the mechanics?  Does it run?  When did it run last is it now seized or free? 

It is now in AZ. We have had it as is for 20 years 

I think Richard Bloomquist had a near perfect one of these for sale some years back.  Maybe his son Cord is still floating around here and can fill in the details.

Project cars are tough,  even desirable ones such as a business coupe.  But this is a neat car, so hopefully someone will restore it.   Hot rodding would be a crime but I could see that happening.

13 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

Your posted serial number is incorrect. It is a 1929 twin ignition 6. The engine number is 1000 from the last 1929. Also measure your wheelbase. I think only the 7 passenger sedans had 130 inch wheelbase. HP is 78. This is the big Nash for 1929.

I will have to check - the ledger is what we have in the records from prior owner

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I see a CA tag.  Is it still in CA.  It will have a little different value in different parts of the country.  

Do you know about any of the mechanics?  Does it run?  When did it run last is it now seized or free? 

We have owned it for the past 20 years. Not sure about the mechanics or if the prior owner had it running or when

With the 130 wheel base I would go to the $2500-3500 range, still a lot of work to get her back on the road, great looking Nash, nice cars to drive.  If you have the crank starter, most likely under the front seat, you could try turning the engine over make sure it is out of gear. 

• Like 1

Contrary to the popular all the old cars are dieing because nobody wants them cheer,  I think there is a much larger number of people out there interested in old cars, even these from what I have seen selling, than we are led to believe.   The mainstream folks keep telling everybody excess is bad and we need to live in a tiny house and have nothing to be happy, we need to forget history because, well it's in the past.

When that latest rave drops off and people realize it isn't bad to lust after something and there is a desire back to work with one's hands,  which will be harder and harder with newer cars you will see the market correcting some then going up again.    I'm sure this is not what alot of guys dream of finding,  but then again most have never seen one.   It only takes a few guys as there are probably only a few examples available to keep them alive.  Remember every flood, Hurricane, tornado, Forest fire or export to a third world country leaves one less.   I still stand by 5G.  Get it running and driving and maybe 7500.  If I was closer I would take a look.   The problem is I tack 2500 right off the bat if I were to persue it. 

Do you have the headlights?   Is the wood good?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Auburn

I'm fairly confident that the amount of interest hasn't changed, it has just shifted. There will always be interest, in my opinion. The main thing that has changed, however, is that since the interest of many cars (and in this case serious projects) has shifted from those with money to those without money, the amount of money the new interested parties are willing to pay has steeply been reduced. It's more of a drastic market correction.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Auburn

I'm fairly confident that the amount of interest hasn't changed, it has just shifted. There will always be interest, in my opinion. The main thing that has changed, however, is that since the interest of many cars (and in this case serious projects) has shifted from those with money to those without money, the amount of money the new interested parties are willing to pay has steeply been reduced. It's more of a drastic market correction.

The "I want it Now!" generation has even more to do with it IMO. People can't wait two to five years for a restoration, go to an auction buy what you want then flip it in a year or so when it is time to move on. Bob 

• Like 1

While there is probably some truth to want it now generation generalization, I think West is more on the mark. The middle class today often has less "disposable income" than it did say 25 - 40 years ago. And at the same time even a largely owner done old car "fix up " {as opposed to a true restoration because we all know how much that would cost} has become quite a bit more expensive. Something has to give and from my point of view it seems there are fewer middle class people involved with middle class hobby cars. The interest is seemingly still there it's just the shop space, tools ,  and basic old car expenses that are limiting involvement.  All the car cruise ins Cars and Coffee, shows seem to be as popular as ever,  But without a ongoing hobby project the people then don't develop the old car hobby skills as it  rarely comes from other life activities anymore { nobody fixes things much anymore} .  The high end seems as buoyant as ever, its the formerly mass participation middle that seems to be aging out of existence.

Greg in Canada

Greg in Canada

• Like 3

I love your car! I can't believe some of the low numbers that some are throwing out. It looks like a solid car to me, what does the odometer read? A bit of the car's history could fill in some of the blanks. Try to resist doing anything with it until you at least find out if the engine is free. If it isn't free put some penetrant down the plug holes, and try to free it up. I can't imagine this car-solid with a free rotating engine, and some history, being worth less then $9-11k. I would love to have it in my garage!

Do some research-tell us a story, we love a good story. Search out the Nash club, maybe there is a chapter close by. Ask questions, find out how many might have survived. Try to resist low ball offers. If nobody steps forward  with an offer you can't resist, wait until spring and put it on Ebay. Then contact us, to let us know that it's there. Who knows some of us may be willing to bid for it.-Bill

Would anyone be willing to comment  on approximate value of a 1930 Nash coupe with the twin ignition straight 8?  It’s in similar condition to the 29 pictured in this thread but it has the bijur lubrication system and thermostatically controlled radiator shutters.  It seems the twin 8s don’t trade hands often so it’s hard to find a value but they seem to be rather uncommon.

As I posted earlier,  a friend sold a 34 twin ignition straight eight business coupe in slightly better shape for 8500 bucks.  That car would have a bigger market than the earlier cars because of the styling.  Although 32-34 may all be about the same, value wise.

I once had a 1929 Nash model 440 with the twin ignition 6. It was a very smooth running engine. At idle you can balance a nickel on the valve cover without it falling. I remember the wood in the roof was difficult to repair and it had some of the lowest grade pot metal I had ever seen, other than that it was a fine automobile.

• 2 years later...
On 2/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, auburnseeker said:

I was thinking around 5G.  I'm not sure if a restorer would pony up that but I could see a hot rodder spending that pretty easily.  I think an easy sale at that in the North East.  Maybe a little tougher in AZ but you can't beat something in an attractive body style like that. 

X2