2019 Grand National UPDATED NEWS

Guest Mark McAlpine

This is going to be great event!  Marion & I look forward to the Auburn event every year.  Having the Grand Nationals there this year will make it even more special.  We're looking forward to the Grand Nationals on Saturday, the Zenith Award display on Friday, the concert on Friday evening, the ACD Museum somewhere in the middle of all this, and--most importantly--seeing friends from outside our local region whom we only get to see a few times a year at AACA national activities.

Thanks to Steve Moskowitz and the entire AACA HQ staff for organizing this event and, in advance, to RM Sotheby's for being great hosts and supporters of the club & our members!

I have been to this event and the Auburn fall event many times in the past. It's hard to believe space could ever be a problem there. I am confident this meet will be both massive and fun at the same time. I really appreciate all the effort that is going into it.

Anyone know what is the address for  trailer parking for a GPS? I should be arriving late Thursday afternoon early evening, staying FT Wayne so I would like to drop the box off before I go to the hotel and check in.

Thanks 

Thanks for the reply.  I had read thru the show brochure, but was not clear if AACA cars would be on field for display as part of Friday events or not, then back for judging on Sat.  Another large club I have shown with has cars on display Fri so everyone can socialize and see all the cars, then focus on their own car on Sat for judging.

Edited by Stonesautomotive (see edit history)

1 hour ago, carrfixr said:

Are there separate tickets for the barbecue? I only received a trailer parking pass in the packet. 

I too received the trailer parking pass in the mail with the info & map.

Usually tickets for the awards dinner and other events at a National that need tickets are in the packet show car owners pickup at registration.

5 minutes ago, charlier said:

I too received the trailer parking pass in the mail with the info & map.

Usually tickets for the awards dinner and other events at a National that need tickets are in the packet show car owners pickup at registration.

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense

8 hours ago, John348 said:

Anyone know what is the address for  trailer parking for a GPS? I should be arriving late Thursday afternoon early evening, staying FT Wayne so I would like to drop the box off before I go to the hotel and check in.

Thanks 

I don't know the address but looking forward to seeing you John. We are staying at the LaQuinta in Fort Wayne. 

• Like 1

Got to Auburn earlier this evening. For those using the Ohio Turnpike be advise that there are a number of construction areas. Sometime 3 lanes go to 2 and sometimes to 1 (each way). For those pulling a trailer read the signs carefully. In many construction areas trucks are LEFT LANE ONLY due to those lanes being wider.

Most of these construction lanes are not extremely bumpy or uneven. Still keep an eye out.

Have not been on the Ohio Turnpike over 12 years. The service plazas are very nice and appear new. Refueling a tow vehicle pulling a trailer is very easy using the truck/trailer pumps NOT the car fuel pumps. The truck side of the plazas has covered pump areas that sell diesel or gasoline (just look for the signs so you get to the correct island). When it comes to gasoline, Ohio must have a less expensive gasoline tax since gas on the Ohio Turnpike was 30 cents/gallon less than the PA Turnpike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, real61ss said:

I don't know the address but looking forward to seeing you John. We are staying at the LaQuinta in Fort Wayne. 

Hey Tommy, I am in the Hampton Inn located on Dupont Road in FT Wayne. Looking forward to seeing you as well. Hope to pull in around 6PM Thursday

John

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

For All Judges:  There are no CJE lessons being offered in Auburn this year.  As everyone knows, this year's show in Auburn is our annual Grand Nationals and we do not present CJE at Grand Nationals.  The entry in the show brochure showing CJE lessons on Saturday morning is an error.  My apologies for any confusion and for not catching the error in the brochure before it was published.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Deleted reference to Judging School (see edit history)

15 hours ago, theyellowb said:

Does anyone know if we need to bring folding chairs for the Friday night concert?  Are small dogs allowed in the venue?

It would probably be a very good idea to bring a chair for the concert. With so many people planning to attend (see Steve's prior post above) I do not see how Auction Park could provide seating.

I am planning on bringing my chair for the Concert. With so many people going it will most likely have to held outside on the blacktop parking lot.

Saw today (Thursday) where the Saturday night dinner will be held. No need to bring my chair for that event.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

I had not shown the car I took yesterday in perhaps 7 years. I realized how much I missed showing it only moments after I arrived. This was a great meet all around. I really appreciate all the work that went into this event, from the national staff to the exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable judges and especially all the people who made us comfortable through the day. Many thanks to all for a very special day.

20190601_154134.jpg

20190601_091550.jpg

Edited by ericmac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I completely agree that this was a great Grand National in every possible way.  Very well run, great entertainment on Friday night, lots to do with the auction, a very nice show area and wonderful food at the banquet.  In addition, to have the weather hold off when it sounded like rain for the entire week.....what a bonus. 

Thanks to everyone who had any part in the entire weekend.

Tim 

16 hours ago, Oldsmobile 83 said:

I completely agree that this was a great Grand National in every possible way.  Very well run, great entertainment on Friday night, lots to do with the auction, a very nice show area and wonderful food at the banquet.  In addition, to have the weather hold off when it sounded like rain for the entire week.....what a bonus. 

Thanks to everyone who had any part in the entire weekend.

Tim 

X2! Thanks to all involved.

It was a great event for sure.  Thanks to all who had a part in making it fun.  The swap meet especially was much improved in its new location, right in the middle of everything.  Zenith cars were impressive and the AGN cars were simply amazing.  My only regret was I didn't get to instruct the Model T CJE- there were so many great ones there, would have loved to have them to use for that course. 

Terry

A great event.  Been there before, will be there again.  It wouldn't break my heart if they used that on alternate years for the western AGNM.  I know it isn't across the Mississippi, but it'll do.

I didn't get to see much other than Saturday because when you haul a big truck on the back of an open truck it doesn't give you much time to do anything other than clean.  We really didn't sightsee until after the judging team put the "Judged" sticker on the windshield truck.  Of course we didn't do the awards picnic only because we had to bum a ride to the picnic and in the event you don't, you've spent that money and not gotten there.

RM provides a great facility for an AACA Meet.  I did manage to buy a gas pump while I was out there.  It hasn't arrived home yet, but I paid for it.  I had planned on buying one at Hershey but now I don't have to wait for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ex98thdrill said:

A great event.  Been there before, will be there again.  It wouldn't break my heart if they used that on alternate years for the western AGNM.  

I agree it was a great venue and I enjoyed it very much and appreciate all of the work done by those who put it on. I do differ is that I like to go to places I never seen before. Life is just too short and the country is just too big. It was a long run from Long Island, and I would have to think twice if I was up to going to see the same place again. 

I agree with others here that this was a great event.  The venue was top notch. The R&M Staff were very friendly and went above and beyond especially when it came to on-site trailer parking for AACA members.

I really enjoyed looking at the Auction Cars, Car Corral and Swap Meet. Having never been to a Car Auction before, the Friday auction was a new experience for me. I was somewhat surprised by what seemed to me to be somewhat lower prices that I expected for some vehicles in the auction. 

So glad I got to the National Auto & Truck Museum (NATMUS). While there I struck up a conversation with one of the Volunteer Staff who is a really nice guy. He offered to show me their restoration shop that is not open to museum visitors. Some of their projects that they are working on were VERY interesting. He told me about their youth program who are working on their own restoration project at the moment.

The Saturday evening BBQ was impressive. A variety of tasty BBQ items, sides and a couple of choices for desert. Good food and plenty of it. Serving 700 people in 30 minutes was no small feat. Getting dinner started at 5:00 PM was appreciated by all after a long day at the show.

Thanks to Steve, the AACA National staff who were there, all the local region members and everyone else who worked so hard on this Grand National .

Charlie

• Pat Buckley unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:51 PM, John348 said:

I agree it was a great venue and I enjoyed it very much and appreciate all of the work done by those who put it on. I do differ is that I like to go to places I never seen before. Life is just too short and the country is just too big. It was a long run from Long Island, and I would have to think twice if I was up to going to see the same place again

I agree with you 100% but if you can't find someone to host the AGNM, do it in Auburn so at least we have an AGNM.

• 2 weeks later...

This year's GN in Auburn was fantastic.  Well run, great venue, great BBQ and great weather!  In addition to the amazing car show on Saturday, we toured four of the museums in the area: the Auburn Cord Duesenberg, NATMUS, Ford V8 and the Hoosier Aircraft Museum.  Each one was great.  We will go back next year to see the ones we missed and tour again some of the ones we already visited.

This was our third AACA car show in Auburn and we have enjoyed each one.  Thanks Steve, Pat and the entire National staff!