1973 Buick Centurion Convertible *SOLD*

Matt Harwood

000H.jpg.f918651323798dabfb046ee8b715310a.jpg

*SOLD* I'll admit I have a soft spot for the big GM ragtops of the '70s, with my first car being a '76 Eldorado. I'll also admit that my Eldorado was half the car this Buick is. The Buick is faster, stronger, more robust, almost as luxurious, and arguably rarer. This particular 1973 Buick Centurion convertible shows just 23,220 original miles and has spent its entire life in California. It has had just two owners, with the second owner being a guy many of us with 1940-41 Buicks know rather well, Doug S. How's that for pedigree? Doug repainted the car shortly after he acquired it five or six years ago, simply because the original paint had faded in the California sun. That's the original color, however, something called Colonial Yellow, and the more I look at it, the better I like it. Not only is it appropriate for the 1970s, but it offers a nice contrast to the usual stuff. It's subtle but stands out because it's not ordinary. That works well. Obviously it's all original sheetmetal and it has never been rusty or wrecked and everything looks and feels like it might have in, say, 1974 when this car was about a year old. Doors don't rattle, the giant hood doesn't shake, and there's a notable lack of squeaks and rattles. The chrome is entirely original and a few areas show some minor signs of age and the gray paint on one of the taillights is a little thin, but the list of demerits on this big Buick is notably small. It's really a nice car.

The all-original interior should tell you all you need to know about this car's easy life. The brown vinyl works well with the Colonial Yellow paint and the combination avoids looking too dated so you can enjoy it today without any excuses. The seats have no splits, no significant wear, and even the foam underneath remains firm. The plush carpets GM was using in 1973 are a little discolored but you'll note the original rubber mats are still in place up front. No cracks in the dash, the wood appliques are still bright, and it's loaded with options like cold A/C, power windows, a tilt steering column, and speed alert, which startled me initially because someone had it set to 15 MPH. It works! The original AM/FM radio still sounds decent and I doubt there have been but a handful of people in the back seat. The trunk floor is ultra-clean and includes what appears to be the original spare tire and jack assembly. I also just ordered a full mat set for the trunk, which will be installed by the time you read this. There's also a brand new white power convertible top with a new glass rear window, and it folds perfectly. The original vinyl boot is included and it was a little dry, so we moisturized it to help it relax a bit.

This is a real code T 455 4-barrel car and the original, matching-numbers engine still lives under the hood. With just over 23,000 original miles, it's never been opened and it runs superbly, starting easily and idling well under any conditions. It's been recently tuned with all-new ignition components and a rebuilt carburetor, so no worries there, but that's factory-applied Dante Red paint on the block. I don't love the blue plug wires, but that's an easy thing to change. The A/C blows cold although the diverter doors sometimes seem a little slow to react to changes in the control lever, and it's got R134a inside so it will be easy to service in the future. The TH400 3-speed automatic shifts cleanly and there are easy-cruising 2.73 gears out back. The suspension feels like 1973 all over again and there's a newer dual exhaust system with slightly more aggressive mufflers that actually sound great--a bit of a rumble from the 455 is OK with me. It's sitting on factory road wheels and recent 215/70/15 whitewall radials.

Those of you who know Doug or his reputation know that this is a good car. It's attractive and it drives like a virtually new car. Everything works, there's a new top and fresh paint, and being from California means there are no ugly surprises waiting for a new owner. And while some may think that $24,900 is too much for a Centurion convertible, I'd also point out that you guys thought that the 1973 Electra coupe I recently sold was a $9000 car and it sold it for nearly three times that much with multiple suitors. Big Buicks are hot, so get in and have fun!

DSC_9405.JPG.11413680f28a35a0a39bd3b8ba8e9369.JPG DSC_9310.JPG.75975616a559521e6f8b48633246e475.JPG DSC_9443.JPG.4fb4a4195616e24105db238b615e3352.JPG DSC_9441.JPG.5b9fd6bb02fcac33abc4a7995afb6714.JPG

DSC_9471.JPG.f80841b8b1d0c2e4264fdd85986a46d6.JPG DSC_9525.JPG.e7abe3a88ee05326bbdbd93ecba45fbc.JPG DSC_9345.JPG.41d72aee72198192f9b7066ad59be49d.JPG DSC_9379.JPG.f35037f5b314efb0a6e46c19ad108481.JPG

DSC_9389.JPG.a0b301571c46c938cefea1540ed685ba.JPG DSC_9483.JPG.f725077176e3295d0a2b0b4c02804c6c.JPG DSC_9397.JPG.075ac4d3339e3beb7a2198e71d8e3c57.JPG DSC_9489.JPG.a507e8ff34cc3fee4d6a7cd0a6bfa2e5.JPG 

DSC_9494.JPG.ff44ce55322d3b6bb05e6b8176414a3b.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Guys, is it just me?  Or does anyone else here feel that a club forum night not be an appropriate venue in which to inject slick, hyped-up dealer ad copy such as that found in Hemmings or any of a myriad of other such commercial sites?   I might be the Lone Ranger in feeling this way; but I, for one, expect a site like this one to be a locus where hobbyists can find mutual assistance, support, and camaraderie, free from sophisticated salesmanship and braggadocio clearly intended to gaslight our members into parting with copious amounts of money by means of attacking their judgment and crowing about previous successes in similar efforts.

But, then, maybe it's just me . . .

It's a buy/sell forum, and at this point I know of nothing that states "no dealers".

I'd also say that Matt is the wrong person to "attack", he's a respected member of the AACA forum with a lot of good input on various topics. 

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with doing a great job posting and selling.  However, I can certainly see how the language "you guys thought that the 1973 Electra coupe I recently sold was a $9000 car and it sold it for nearly three times that much with multiple suitors" would be offputting to some.  That is not an attack, but rather constructive criticism.

One, thanks for the kind words David and Lance. It's much appreciated.

Two, I would invite anyone who thinks I'm a predator to review all my posts in this forum (and other forums as well--you will note that I ALWAYS use my real name instead of hiding behind a pseudonym). You will quickly discover that less than 3% of my posts here are selling cars. The rest are me being a "real" hobbyist just like you.

Three, I don't really see how my posts are full of slick, hyped-up copy and braggadocio. I try to describe the car accurately and give people a fuller picture of what it is and what it isn't. You will note that I never say words like "perfect" or "flawless" or "immaculate" in my ads, words that "real" hobbyists frequently use to the detriment of others all the time. I note flaws and demerits and try to downplay any hyperbole about the positives. I treat people here with the respect to understand what they're looking at and they don't need to be "sold" on a car. They do, however, want to know as much as possible about it and to get a clear impression of it so they can decide whether to invest additional time in pursuing it. 

Four, I only post cars here that I think are interesting to the target audience. Plenty of "real" hobbyists post hot rods, late-models, and other things that don't belong here. I don't see anonymous posters going after them as being predatory. I don't post inappropriate cars, modified cars, or late-model cars here. I treat the forum and the club behind it with respect.

Five, one of us thinks the members of this board are stupid, but it isn't me. Do you really think I can talk some poor schlub on this message board into buying a car he doesn't want just through words? Wow, I'm amazing! And if you really don't like me, there's always the IGNORE function, which will take me off your screen forever and then you won't be tempted by my magic words that will force you to buy a car you don't want.

Six, I suppose it could be seen as bragging when I mention that I sold a car for far more than anyone expected, but my intention was to point out that these cars are red hot right now. If you own one, that's good news for you and if you want one, now is probably the time to get one because prices are rising and you might get priced out of the market--many hobbyists assume that prices don't change and that they'll always have the chance to buy the car they want at the price they expect. That is not the case. I am frequently confronted by "real" hobbyists who tell me that I don't know what I'm doing and that my prices are wrong. I would argue that I'm better at this than most "real" hobbyists simply because I do it all day, every day. I can see trends before everyone else because I'm not waiting on the back end to see the higher prices after they've already become normalized. "Real" hobbyists are frequently too close to the subject to have a clear view of what's going on. They only know what they paid for their car or what their buddy paid--I see what people all over the world are paying, right now, not three or five or ten years ago. Everyone told me I was nuts when I listed a 1965 Riviera for $35,000 a few years ago. Today? $35,000 for a 1965 Riv is cheap. I suspect cars like this Centurion are on that same path. But "real" hobbyists often don't see that because they already own their cars, they know what they paid, and that's their lone data point. So that was my point more than bragging about a great result. I simply got a market-correct result and was pointing out that maybe I know something "real" hobbyists don't. Can you acknowledge that this might be true? Or is it more fun to think I'm just a braggart?

Finally, in an effort to satisfy Buickborn, here is a much more typical car for sale ad that that you would find on this board, which I wrote as a "real" hobbyist (if I posted this ad as an individual, would you have complained? I bet not):

1973 Buick convertible. 455. Yellow with vinyl interior. New top. California car. Call for price. Don't text me. 

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Buickborn said:

Guys, is it just me?  Or does anyone else here feel that a club forum night not be an appropriate venue in which to inject slick, hyped-up dealer ad copy such as that found in Hemmings or any of a myriad of other such commercial sites?   I might be the Lone Ranger in feeling this way; but I, for one, expect a site like this one to be a locus where hobbyists can find mutual assistance, support, and camaraderie, free from sophisticated salesmanship and braggadocio clearly intended to gaslight our members into parting with copious amounts of money by means of attacking their judgment and crowing about previous successes in similar efforts.

But, then, maybe it's just me . . .

3464c2687bdb17039671837f5e650f35.jpg.818429523fa807a39f02e31de35f43e9.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, Matt Harwood said:

And while some may think that $24,900 is too much for a Centurion convertible, I'd also point out that you guys thought that the 1973 Electra coupe I recently sold was a $9000 car and it sold it for nearly three times that much with multiple suitors. Big Buicks are hot, so get in and have fun!

Geeze, gonna have to up the agreed value on the Queen, again!

Entertaining comments. ?

I grew up watching people travel from dealer to dealer waiting for a salesman to make a mistake in their favor and hold the deaker's feet to the fire to sell.

Back in the days before everyone, apparently, forgot the Art of Body Language, the buyers were coming around sending the message "if I can steal it, I'll buy it". Luckily, I am still pretty good at recognizing body language. You know, sometimes a buyer's actions can trigger the predator in me. Then, for politeness, I call it Sport Selling.

Oh, I wouldn't list a car for car here. Phew! It's a tough bunch.

Ever since my High School business teacher, Tom Burns, taught the class about discretionary purchases I have avoided selling necessities. Collector cars may feel like a necessity, even to me, but they are just plain fun. Watch the movie Suckers, from about 1996, I love it! I can watch these Steve Richards videos all day:

He has a lot on Youtube, all really good.

I grew up in a small used car lot and tire shop. I learned selling to adult in my pre-teen years. It has always bee, like I wrote, a sport for me. My real profession is entirely different and I treat it very responsibly. Matt has always impressed me as professional and responsible.  He appears to add value just in his evaluation and presentation of the cars. I like seeing his ads.

Bernie, always dreaming of my own little lot- "Generally Honest Bernie's Used Cars"

Wow -- talk about being outvoted!  And, yes, Matt, I do think you're amazing -- which is why I was so upset at what seemed in your narrative to be potshots aimed at ordinary hobbyists' judgment about what's worth what.

In any case, I impressed by the effort entailed in your very articulate rebuttal as well by all the expressed support of your approach.  In fact, when I told my faithful sidekick Tonto that we might be in trouble on this one, he asked: 

"What you mean 'WE,' Quimo Sabe?"

~ Charlie Manes

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2018 at 5:56 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Geeze, gonna have to up the agreed value on the Queen, again!

No, probably not.  People's asking prices and selling prices

are two different things.  Actually, I think the prices of these

GM 1971-75 B-bodied convertibles have gone DOWN.

I have one myself, with only 8000 documented miles.

At one 2017 Carlisle auction, there was a nice c. 1972

Pontiac convertible, mileage 50,000 or so.  It is much scarcer,

though that fact is barely recognized;  it had the same brown

interior, but its paint was brown--a color not as favored

these days.  The selling price was around

$13,000.  It's great when collector cars are affordable!

I certainly wouldn't mention this when the car was for sale,

but we B-body owners need to keep things in perspective.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)