SOLD: 1930 Cadillac V-16 Roadster, one of the finest examples in existence.

Wow!!

Amazing car-

not my first choice of color, but would revere it if I could only afford it,

and I like the whitewalls -

just a personal choice

• Like 1

A very nice car indeed. A good friend has one sitting in his boat house in pieces now about 20 years. The body is re wooded and painted the motor is done and we painted the frame. I know he had all the chrome done before he tucked it away. I shake my head each time I walk by it. 

Almost perfection.........throw away those extra lights and it will be perfect. Great car, interesting colors. Tasteful and well presented. A true American masterpiece. Wonderful driver..........what more can one ask for? 

2 hours ago, Bob Scafani said:

Fantastic car,  here is one that sold a year ago for $725,000.00   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GG8ld_3o8

I looked at this auction car last year. This car had the wrong engine and a tired restoration that was in need of a redo. A significantly different type of car than the roadster being offered here.

History is everything on a car like this.

Authentic V-16 roadsters with bonafide histories are benchmark automobiles and are rarely offered for sale.

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

There is a spread of anywhere from 350k to 1.4 million on Caddy V16 roadsters.  More than a few of sold north of 1,000,000.   I will leave it to the audience to decide what is different between the 350k car and the 1.4 million dollar car.  Btw,  LOVE the colors on the car for sale in this thread.

IMG_3397 (1).JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, rusty12 said:

I looked at this auction car last year. This car had the wrong engine and a tired restoration that was in need of a redo. A significantly different type of car than the roadster being offered here.

History is everything on a car like this.

Authentic V-16 roadsters with bonafide histories are benchmark automobiles and are rarely offered for sale.

Today a confirmed real car that has all new wood will bring 300k less than one with factory wood. Provenance is EVERYTHING on these type of cars today. There are about 30 V-16 Roadsters around, half are new coachwork, some are bodies off of 8's and placed on 16's. The listing is correct, there are about 10 decent cars out there with good history. An in the era engine swap with incorrect numbers years ago was no big deal.........today, a car with a "story" will bring much less money. I think  one of the 10 known good cars without a story will run seven figures, even if it needs work or a restoration. GOOD car are VERY hard to find today, at almost any price.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's interesting how much difference color and tires can make as illustrated by the cars in this thread.  To me, the cream/blue one with whitewalls is more flamboyant as a roadster should be, while the one for sale is more stately as a Cadillac should be - the one on YouTube is kinda in-between.  Whatever, they're all beautiful cars - wish I could afford one of them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

In 1942, my great uncle picked up a complete 30 V16 roadster in running condition which was about to be scrapped for the War effort, for $150. The scrap yard offered the man $50, however, my uncle was right there, talk about being at the right place at the right time and offered the man $150. An extra $100 dollars was alot of money in 1942 so the man was thrilled. It was towed home and put away in 1942 where it still sits today. We acquired many of our cars this way, saving them from the scrap drives of World War 2. Unwanted junk at the time. The last guy I let in to see the car made a pitiful offer to do me a favor and "Take the old thing out of my way". What a rude dope he was. I told him, it has not been in our way for 70+ years and it would take another 70 years just to get it out. He still calls me twice a year asking if I'm ready to unload the car and that the Classic Era cars are going down in value. Again, what a dope. With that said, I hope you get every penny of your $1,450,000 asking price.

I also would love to see a picture of an example of what was considered scrap back then of a car like this. Great story sounds like another Barney Pollard.

• 2 weeks later...