Please introduce yourself...

13 hours ago, Bruce W Jones said:

Hey Guys,

New Buick owner from S.C. home of 2018 College Football National Champs.  Just picked up a 1939 series 40 two door pretty much all original and restored a few yrs ago.  Olive Green with tow tone brown/beige cloth interior with gangster wall tires.  I will have a lot of questions since I am mostly a chevy corvette guy.

Welcome to the world of 39' Buick's 😊

Was the car from Florida? [Gary]

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My name is not really Al, I do that to stop the data miners world wide. But you can call me Al, or any other choice name... doesn't matter to me. I am starting on my 3rd classic. My first is the one I used to capture and tourture my wife on date nights when I was younger. A 1946 Willies with Wally the gator painted on the fenders sitting on his lillypads. My wife (Girlfriend back then) now supports my adventures in rust because of the adventures we had getting stuck in the mud (Not to mention a hood walk from a deep pond). I am no real qualified car man, just someone that was taught how to install crank bearings backwards and learn the noise it makes.  My father still laughs about that one. speaking of memories... Did you know a 1946 CJ2 will shift from 1st to reverse at 20 MPH without a grind? I still remember the crack of the washer hand crank against my forehead when I dumped the clutch. (Funny how the removable drivers seat will auto launch you into the window) My second adventure was and is a 1964.04 Mustang with a Falcon Sprint hood ring visible under the mustang emblem. Still waiting on paint, it has lost of sharp edges and pretty floors covered in dynamat. It was a homecoming gift to myself when I got back from my second Mosul love fest. I spent 1300 on it and still dream of the day it will be tagged. My latest was a choice find from craigslist this year (B Day gift to myself) and you will find its pictures scattered on this forum site. Yeah, I know, its a 4 door, but all that crome makes me dizzy. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Alfred,

I am new to this Buick forum and I like reading all of the interesting post from it's members.

I bought a 1941 Buick 46S from friend in 1990, who bought it from the original owner in 1980.

The original owner replace the straight 8 with a 1960 364 nail head mated to the stock 3 speed.

In 1990 I started to restore my Buick. I have updated the transmission to a turbo 400 from a 1964 Buick and added Vintage Air for the hot days of summer.

Repainted the car in Jewel Green and restored and updated  the interior.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Edited by Alfred55 (see edit history)
  • Like 10

I am David Strawn, living in DeLand Florida.  I recently acquired a '56 Special Convertible at an auction.  Talk about deferred maintenance!  I hope to have it ready to drive to Gonzales TX next week, for the Glidden Chrome the week after.  My wife and I are not strangers to long distance old car trips.  Just got back from the MARC meeting at Richmond Hill GA a couple of weeks ago.  Made the trip in our '31 Fordoor, with only a minor incident.  Back to my Buick.  I went through most of my undergrad with a '55 Special hardtop. What a good car!  My new one is the same Coral Red and Dover White.  BTW, some idiot glued (JB"d? the ash tray doors shut.  I'd like to get into them, and a dremel seems to be the tool of choice. I only want access to the lighter port, and I know I can wire an emergency socket for the trip. Any  ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

DUS.jpg

Edited by dustr@me.com (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dustr@me.com said:

I am David Strawn, living in DeLand Florida.  I recently acquired a '56 Special Convertible at an auction.  Talk about deferred maintenance!  I hope to have it ready to drive to Gonzales TX next week, for the Glidden Chrome the week after.  My wife and I are not strangers to long distance old car trips.  Just got back from the MARC meeting at Richmond Hill GA a couple of weeks ago.  Made the trip in our '31 Fordoor, with only a minor incident.  Back to my Buick.  I went through most of my undergrad with a '55 Special hardtop. What a good car!  My new one is the same Coral Red and Dover White.  BTW, some idiot glued (JB"d? the ash tray doors shut.  I'd like to get into them, and a dremel seems to be the tool of choice. I only want access to the lighter port, and I know I can wire an emergency socket for the trip. Any  ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

DUS.jpg

56 special convertible, nice buy ,  my sort of car , can’t wait to see your photos 

welcome 

pilgrim

On 10/9/2010 at 5:36 PM, buick5563 said:

Recently, I have noticed a lot of activity with people who have less than 20 posts. I, for one, am excited to see this. If you have always wanted to get into the fray around here, kindly introduce yourselves . We really don't bite, and there is more automotive knowledge here than you can find anywhere else on the web.

Welcome in...

Hey Guys,

New Buick owner from S.C. home of 2018 College Football National Champs.  Just picked up a 1939 series 40 two door pretty much all original and restored a few yrs ago.  Olive Green with tow tone brown/beige cloth interior with gangster wall tires.  I will have a lot of questions since I am mostly a chevy corvette guy.

I know I haven't owned this old guy for long but thinking about selling, like the newer creature comforts more than I thought.  Great old car but have my eye on another corvette plus I am out of storage space.  Hit me up if you are interested.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, dustr@me.com said:

Greeting Dave!  Congrats on the '56 purchase.  Hope it turns out to be a great car like many of the 56's we see here.

As to the ash tray doors, you could try removing the radio which comes out the bottom of the dash without much ado except bending upside down to see the bolts on the side brackets.  You can also take out the glove box liner to access the radio bracket bolt on the pass side.  This will give you lots of room to address the ash trays from behind the scene.  Perhaps there is something that will loosen the jb weld?  

But if you just need a hot port for some 12 v accessory for your trip I recommend visiting your friendly Walmart automotive section.  They have single and dual port hot spots in the section with the auto radios.  The wires are short but you could then fit in a fuse holder and wire it directly to the fuse block under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel.

Good luck with your car.  Please post a picture or two.  

• Like 1

On 10/9/2010 at 4:36 PM, buick5563 said:

Recently, I have noticed a lot of activity with people who have less than 20 posts. I, for one, am excited to see this. If you have always wanted to get into the fray around here, kindly introduce yourselves . We really don't bite, and there is more automotive knowledge here than you can find anywhere else on the web.

Welcome in...

Hi, my name is Abelardo, I have found a 1935 Buick Wagon style 35-4409, I would like to know if you can help me with some info?

Howdy to all from Western Colorado.  This is my first post on this site.  My check will be in the mail Monday for a one year membership; I have licked and stamped the envelope.  I am now a new owner of a Buick.  Have own a number of cars and trucks in the past but this is my first Buick.  My first newbie request is:  "Help".  At this point I think that I have  1920 Buick, although the aged owner's title says it is a 1915.  First off, my "new" Buick is an official basket case.  The Certificate of Title has two dates, one being January 19, 1954, and the second 24 December, 1954.  The typewritten data shows the vehicle is a Buick, Roadster, year made 1915, motor number 59558, Model K45, green color body, 6 cylinder, seating capacity 2, and the weight being 2760.  There is no VIN number shown.

I have noted the following data from the car:  1)  Engine number is 559558.  Note, this is similar to the motor number on the Title, except there is actually and additional "5", at the very beginning of the numbers.  I could see that the engine number "59558" after using a putty knife and brass wire brush to clean off a 1/4 inch of hard, caked dirt.  But I could see that the number appeared to be a little too short for the size of the data block, so more scraping and wire brushing brought out the slightly faintly stamped number "5".  Thus the true engine number is 559558.  A small oval data plate is riveted to the left-rear frame member, on the top of the frame, very near the gasoline tank.  2)  The VIN number is 566791.  3)  On the toe board, right side is a data plate that says the car is Model K45.  4)  Firing order of the engine.  While this is not a basic identifier of the vehicle I find this very strange.  The firing order on the intake manifold is 1-4-2-6-3-5.  According to a web site that lists "Buick Pre 1930 General Specs, all Buick 6 cylinder engines have a firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4.  Therefore I note the firing order of my 6 cylinder, versus the published firing order.

According to other reading I have done about Buick years and models, any paying close attention to years 1915 and 1920,  I believe that the 1915 year used letter "C" in the model designation, whereas in 1920 the letter K was used.  If that is true, then the old Title erroneously calls the car a 1915 Model K -- which should not be the case.  ?

This basket case Buick came with two front doors, a portion of metal with an opening for a rear door, and a touring car rear sheet metal panel with pressed-in curvatures for the rear fenders.  (metal pieces and scraps having matching old green paint.)  I does appear that this vehicle was originally a touring car, even though the Title dated 1954 shows it being a roadster with a seating capacity of 2. There is much evidence that the vehicle apparently had its rear touring section removed, and that it had been used as a truck, and a towing vehicle, perhaps as a tractor.  Those observations do explain how a touring car became a "roadster".

That's about it for a start with my new Buick.  I hope someone can help me to understand the numbers and model designations.  Cars I have owned in the past include 1926 Ford Model T, 1928 Dodge Victory 6, 1932 Chevrolet, and a 1935 Terraplane.  None of those cars was anywhere close to being in the condition of this Buick.

15 Buick C55 01-18.JPG

15 Buick C55 02-18.JPG

15 Buick C55 19-20.JPG

• Like 1

LCK81403 , if you look on the left front of the frame rail, I believe there should be a vin# tag.  It is usually an oval tag about the area of the left front headlight.   Also if you can find the motor number it will help in identifying the car.  Being a 6 cylinder, it is a model 45, I can not tell what year, but there are lots of others here that are willing to help.  If you want to bring it back to a touring car, there are some parts out there that should be able to be secured.  Put a parts wanted in the Buick parts for sale/wanted below.  Nice project. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is tom from Minnesota new here but been around old cars my whole life. My dad was one of the old time mechanics who everyone trusted. He could tune a motor by ear . I have had lots of 50s era cars and love them but I just bought a 1926 master six Buick and I’m in uncharted waters. So hopefully I can pick your brains.  I’m 62 years young lol but I still enjoy learning 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi my name is Jamie from Cincinnati Ohio.  I recently bought a 1956 Buick Super four door from my grandpa.  The car has been sitting in a garage since 2004, and was rarely driven before then.  I am currently 26, and this is the second classic car project i am taking on.  I also have a 1950 Ford F1 that my wife and i bought as a project with some of our wedding money.  I was in the middle of installing a four link, and rear air bags to that when grandpa had to start selling his collection.  The Ford has been put on hold to focus efforts more on the Buick.  I plan on keeping it mostly stock, with exception of some interior luxury items possibly.  I have learned alot from reading the post on this forum so far, and look forward to becoming a part of this huge Buick community.  Thanks

20190406_115651.jpg

20190406_113633.jpg

Edited by Jamison39
Pics added (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Hi there,

J.R. Here. I own CTH Automotive in upstate NY. I do mechanical restoration, and custom car building only. I am a one man show, and blessed that my wife puts up with my sometimes meager salary. I've stalked around here long enough and decided it was time to join. I've been working on cars in general for over 30 years now, and owned this shop for nearly 10.

My latest project, and my main reason for needing help... is a 1953 Buick Skylark Roadmaster model 76X. Avery nice example at first glance that my customer purchased from a dealer. He frankly got taken, as it has OK paint, decent chrome, nice upholstery, and everything else horrible! and he paid ALL the money for it. I am haveing to rebuild or replace everything electrical, Hydro-electrical, and mechanical. No point going in to all the details here. I will do a search in the technical forums for some answers to current questions, if I don't find answers I'll ask..

Thanks!!      JR.

IMG_20181030_213306_729.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 7:53 AM, jrdugas03 said:

Hi there,

J.R. Here. I own CTH Automotive in upstate NY. I do mechanical restoration, and custom car building only. I am a one man show, and blessed that my wife puts up with my sometimes meager salary. I've stalked around here long enough and decided it was time to join. I've been working on cars in general for over 30 years now, and owned this shop for nearly 10.

My latest project, and my main reason for needing help... is a 1953 Buick Skylark Roadmaster model 76X. Avery nice example at first glance that my customer purchased from a dealer. He frankly got taken, as it has OK paint, decent chrome, nice upholstery, and everything else horrible! and he paid ALL the money for it. I am haveing to rebuild or replace everything electrical, Hydro-electrical, and mechanical. No point going in to all the details here. I will do a search in the technical forums for some answers to current questions, if I don't find answers I'll ask..

Thanks!!      JR.

Welcome JR!  Ask and you will have an answer shortly.  With your background, we will look forward to some of your answers to questions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I’m fortunate to have a few fun classics, but my all time favorite is my 1965 riviera that I recently purchased.  I had ideas of building an amazing pro touring riviera, but after getting this original beauty home I don’t think I have the heart to change a thing.  The car has 82k miles and has been with its last two overs for over 40 years.  The only thing that is non stock on the car is the newer paint job ( no filler in car ) , wheels and tires and the seat covers.  I also had ideas of going to a black interior but after having the car for a few days I decided I have to stay as original as possible and try and find all of the cool options Buick put into the highest end models.  I’m looking forward to chatting with other members about how to make this riviera a fully optioned time capsule.  I also have a full pro touring 1965 fastback mustang, and a beautiful 1976 bronco.  Happy cruising!! 

A6929B3B-FDA6-4673-A739-155DA41ADE57.jpeg

EF98C15F-C1E6-4BDA-814C-5FE64B04FB53.jpeg

• Like 2

We come.

Beautiful car.  I have 63 myself that came from the factory with about every available option (at build time) except for a rear window defogger - Texas car.  

Scroll down the forums until you get to the Riviera Owners Forum.  Lots of guys with lots of knowledge.  Post a picture of the Fisher Body plate - firewall above  brake booster.  Someone will decode it for you.  Other pictures will help determine options installed after the body left the Fisher Plant and onto final assembly for the front clip, power train, and chassis.  

Check out the Riviera Owners Association, link in my signature block.

Ed

Thanks for the greeting.  Here is the cool tag and a pic of the engine compartment, I do need to gather the missing AC components in the next few months.  I think the car is pretty darn original so I’m curious to find out what some of the experienced guys have to say about the car after decoding it.  

7A7BBE6E-C3AB-4EC9-8566-A08692C9FB9F.jpeg

AB505601-A0E4-4C7D-9041-E101DDF33276.jpeg

Welcome,

I'm guessing the first thing you'd like to know is what the Fisher Body Tag says.

11C - The car was built in the 3rd week of November 1964

65-49447 - 1965 Buick Riviera 2 dr spt. cpe.

TR-613 -Fawn cloth and vinyl seats

VV - Shell Beige paint

E - Tinted windows

X - Power windows 

T - Power seat

2K - Air Conditioning

Those are the options that were installed at the Fisher Body plant before the body was shipped to final assembly where it was married to the chassis, the power train was installed, and the front clip and other options were added.

Scroll down the Buick forums and you'll find that we Riviera owners have a forum of our very own.  Here's where you can get down to the nitty gritty with questions about your car.

We also have a club. Started in 1984. A bi-monthly magazine loaded with all sorts of info and cars. Plus a huge classfied section for complete cars and parts.  We also hold an annual event; each year in a different arra of the lower 48.  There's a link to the ROA website in my signature block.  Check it out.  Best two restoration tools you can have are a shop manual for your year, and membership in the club.

We're a very friendly group; everyone is on a first name basis.  When you introduce yourself let us know your name and where you live. Once again, welcome.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello, My Name is David.

I have always wanted a 55/6 Buick but never pulled the trigger.
Welp after a brief stint with a 51 Styleline and a 49 Shoebox I found my way from Kentucky to Wisconsin to get me this 56 Buick Century.

The First pic is on my trip and the second one is in its current state.

Nailhead gone and pulling the suspension about to bag it. I have lots of question and I am hoping to find them here.

I will be looking around here in the new few days :)

41306613_706639796344304_2005612498731925504_n.jpg

61239420_852431728431776_6184472303141650432_n.jpg

• Like 3

Great! Welcome, Im doin a 55 Cent, so if I can B of resistance, oh wait! Assistance,  feel free to contact. Greg