Do I have Tim the ToolMan Syndrome?

auburnseeker

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a syndrome not yet identified for those of us that like the right or even overkill tools.  

Here is my latest dabble into that field.  I needed a lift for mounting projects on the property and the new garage being built.  I stumbled across this big bruiser on Craigslist.  Should get the job done.  most without even extending the boom.  It was a better buy than one half it's size. 

I don't usually name much but Big Bertha seems fitting. 

IMG_3822.JPG

• Like 2

How is the hydraulic action? I was using a touchy one to air balance diffusers at a 22' ceiling level one time. One little bump of the lever and a slight wheel scuff shifted 150' of freshly laid tile 3/8", just one row. That sure gave the tile guy a case of the stutters.

Another neat thing you can do is get off it when raised and climb around some. Then get back and find it has drifted down 6'.

So you say to the helper "Dad's going to show you something you should never do. Be sure you stay within hollering range." They always look so cheerful when you say things like that.

Bernie

• Like 1

I use to have a guy like Wilson that lived next door.  Not  a bad neighbor, though his carpentry skills were a bit questionable but the ingenuity was there.  Never met a pallet he didn't like.  

I moved though.  Now I can barely see my nearest neighbor through the woods. 

I like it better that way. 

And for a bit of explanation for our overseas friends!

Tim "the tool man" Taylor was the fictional character

in the long-ago situation comedy "Home Improvement."

The show was popular 20 or more years ago,

and Tim was always trying to build things to be

bigger and more powerful--and he would always get

into jams.  Actor Tim Allen was the main character.

Sorry to bore the American TV fans who already knew this!

I haven't seen it lately, but it was a very good show,

and was rebroadcast after its 1991-1999 run.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I've also used various lift equipment like yours since the late 80's for my work. 

Would love to own one but used commercially there are too many rules, certifications and regulations let alone transportation costs and eventual repairs to justify the expense for even a used one...

Your situation is different and like you stated being for personal use, will be a great aide with your garage build! :)

The highest unit I rented was at 110 feet fully extended and can testify a light touch on the stick is needed at that height!! :o

Some units have a variable speed adjustment on the hydraulics which slows things down until one gets comfortable with the movements. Yours may or may not have that dial but most have the toggle switch to slow the engine speed thereby reducing the pump pressure and a slower reaction on the stick.

I would strongly suggest wearing a safety harness while operating it even when moving around the property (just in case is always good). :)

I have this 65 footer in use this weekend and with a cold front coming through expect snow showers today.:angry: Having a choice to work sometimes is NOT an option...

IMG_2382.thumb.JPG.1cc7539a9de23339f407141ee3dc50a6.JPG

You get a different perspective of the world when up on these things .

IMG_2380.thumb.JPG.47deadd37f36658600a003c4ec79dfd0.JPG

Just a word of caution: please observe the load rating on the basket. Carrying too much over that limit can have serious consequences like tipping the unit (hence the safety harness). 

Precautions aside, these are very versatile and with care in operation can make one feel like you can thread a needle.

I'm sure you know that so enjoy and be safe.

Doug

• Like 1

Ditto on Safety harness . Always try to set your moves to be up down to approach work . Never drive to stop at work position or swing in fast to work . Older machines are prone to sticking and drift , given intermitted use . Never let anyone work in the bite or under . And buy your 50 lb bag of cat litter now . Save running latter in a hurry . LOL.

Good luck , It will be such a time saver .

Tom

The company was still regularly using it but more for backup. They have a much newer 60 foot   They were buying a new one.  They have several.  It was a quarry.  They use it to service all the conveyors and this was the oldest.  They had it 8 years.  Everything seems to function properly.  It does have some slow drips and they had a bit of a challenge getting the axles retracted as they had been out for 8 years.   I'll have to look into getting a harness. I was thinking it would be a good idea just incase,  but as you mention hadn't thought alot about the catapulting factor when moving it,  though it did try to launch us when we drove it off the lowboy.   ( I was prepared though as the driver forewarned me to hold on when the axles drop down to the pavement off the bed and that wasn't very high.   I'll definitely make sure it's retracted when moving it more than a few feet. )

• Like 1

They will bounce like crazy, extended with a rider. And if you are elevated and think "Oh, I'll just move it over without lowering" you have a neat, but dangerous amusement park ride. I air balanced an 875,000 square foot building at 22' with them. It is easy to get a little overconfident. I was removing 4' X 4' ceiling tiles and climbing up into the trusses with a lanyard to make repairs. Even used a compound bow to send a fish tape through the girders. Don't stand in the basket with your lanyard hooked to a truss!

Just to get an idea of how much precaution needs to be suggested.... are you planning to use it for hunting? (Bow, rifle, or pistol?)

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Auburnseeker,

You are not alone in having a bucket lift.  I  know a guy here with many old cars and a bucket truck.   He bought it to use in pressure washing his log home an the a few days later applying the lag sealer.   His word of caution:   Don't store it outside, the squirrels love hydraulic lines!.

He had to add onto his garage and create a savings account for new lines.

2 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Auburnseeker,

You are not alone in having a bucket lift.  I  know a guy here with many old cars and a bucket truck.   He bought it to use in pressure washing his log home an the a few days later applying the lag sealer.   His word of caution:   Don't store it outside, the squirrels love hydraulic lines!.

He had to add onto his garage and create a savings account for new lines.

Thus the reason for such a big garage.  I was a little reluctant to buy only because of the size of the machine collapsed,  knowing it would occupy a few of my car slots inside.  As I applied for in the permit.  It will end up actually becoming an equipment barn before I get done. Right now I can just about fill one side with equipment.  Hopefully I'll have atleast a spot or two for cars left.  I told my wife we will scare off any potential buyers if we ever sell our house.  This 30 foot shed is the tool shed,  this 60 by 72 foot building is the maintenance garage for the property.  Not many millennials will want to take on that much manual labor. 

I never buy anything that I don't need!

The 8' cast iron brake that I bought, I really needed even though I had a steel 8' and a 4' brake. (not to mention the 25ton 8' press brake)

The 8' drop shear was another one that i could not live without. (even though I have a 30" drop shear)

The state highway plow was absolutely necessary, as was the 4' sq  2" thick steel work table with the 30" 1/8 cap. brake attached.

The bucket loader complements the snow plow. It works much better than my fork lift in the sandy yard.

As i said, I never buy anything that I don't need. (I am looking for a 4' finger brake though.)

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)