Texas Road Warriors --- Brookfield or Bust (into beer and cheese)

old-tank

Y'all have a safe and enjoyable cruise back to TX, as "victorious warriors" again!  We've been trying to keep the 100 degree temps "in wait" for y'all to get back (although the heat factor has been past that a few days due to HUMIDITY levels).

See y'all soon!!

NTX5467

400 miles and ended back at Fenton, MO.

Detoured to visit an aunt in Joliet, IL.  Had to drive I55...too close to Chicago!  Ended up in the wrong lane to pay toll, no spike strips or chase down, so I ignored all future toll booth plazas.

Getting hotter, but the A/C is cold!

• Like 5

They've got your license plate scan in their computer.  There might be a nice "Thank You" note attached to your next TX license plate renewal.  Just watch out for Dodge Monacos with a pair of sunglasses glued/melted to the instrument panel, occupied by two guys in black suits.  Glad everything is good, otherwise.

NTX5467

10 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

They've got your license plate scan in their computer.  There might be a nice "Thank You" note attached to your next TX license plate renewal.  Just watch out for Dodge Monacos with a pair of sunglasses glued/melted to the instrument panel, occupied by two guys in black suits.  Glad everything is good, otherwise.

NTX5467

I'd like to see them run a 1955 TX plate and see what comes up....(assuming Willie is running a YOM plate)

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I'd like to see them run a 1955 TX plate and see what comes up....(assuming Willie is running a YOM plate)

How many of you guys run YOM plates outside your home state? Has it ever been a problem?

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

How many of you guys run YOM plates outside your home state? Has it ever been a problem?

I have two cars like that now. Never been a problem, but I don't have Willies guts to run the toll booth!  :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I have two cars like that now. Never been a problem, but I don't have Willies guts to run the toll booth!  :D

Maybe they'll feel sorry for the guy that drives an old car like that and figure, age???? :lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

I can't really speak for out of state, but the local 405 and 512 only take pictures of the front, to which I have no license plate. :P

22 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

NTX5467

In Texas there no toll booths.  You pay using the tag on the windshield or they send a bill in the mail for a small fee.  If they find me, I will remit.  Out or state drivers inTexas never have to pay.

20 hours ago, Bloo said:

If the YOM plate is legal in your state in is good in all states.

Toy was broken today....well not broken, but real sick.  Car would not idle, so I had to keep one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator.  All this driving the jerk-water towns north of and including Muskogee, OK on US69 (if I never drive that road again if will be too soon.  Coming back from Spingfield I had cracks in the frame and one ruined tire.  The other choice is Arkansas where the roads are even worse)

Anyhow it seems that carburetor is messed up this time.  An obstructed idle circuit on the passenger side (idle screw had no effect)  So to get me home I enriched the drivers side idle screw and increased the idle speed.  I last rebuilt that carburetor 30 years ago...maybe it is time to call Jon.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Toy was broken today....well not broken, but real sick.  Car would not idle, so I had to keep one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator.  All this driving the jerk-water towns north of and including Muskogee, OK on US69 (if I never drive that road again if will be too soon.  Coming back from Spingfield I had cracks in the frame and one ruined tire.  The other choice is Arkansas where the roads are even worse)

Anyhow it seems that carburetor is messed up this time.  An obstructed idle circuit on the passenger side (idle screw had no effect)  So to get me home I enriched the drivers side idle screw and increased the idle speed.  I last rebuilt that carburetor 30 years ago...maybe it is time to call Jon.

Bummer, how much farther do you have to go?

2 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Anyhow it seems that carburetor is messed up this time.  An obstructed idle circuit on the passenger side (idle screw had no effect)  So to get me home I enriched the drivers side idle screw and increased the idle speed.  

I showed this thread to my son who is soon to be a graduated Masters Mechanical Engineer and said, With today's electronic systems, if something crops up on the road, just how would one manage to get going again like this? 

Not any real explanation other than to use a cell phone and call for a tow.....

One step forward and.....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dei said:

I showed this thread to my son who is soon to be a graduated Masters Mechanical Engineer and said, With today's electronic systems, if something crops up on the road, just how would one manage to get going again like this? 

Not any real explanation other than to use a cell phone and call for a tow.....

One step forward and.....

In all honesty, if what happened with Buick Tech Willie's carb happened to steering wheel holder MrEarl's carb, MrEarl would have likely been calling a tow truck himself. 

So maybe adding a for sure good carb to the list of spare parts for Buttercup's emergency kit when Reet and I hit the highways west would also be good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

In all honesty, if what happened with Buick Tech Willie's carb happened to steering wheel holder MrEarl's carb, MrEarl would have likely been calling a tow truck himself. 

So maybe adding a for sure good carb to the list of spare parts for Buttercup's emergency kit when Reet and I hit the highways west would also be good. 

West toward Denver next June, or Oklahoma City in 2019?

23 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Actually Rita surprised me the other evening while watching Muds vlogs with a statement "we ARE going to Denver next year" but that likely won't be in Buttercup. OC in '19, maybe. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread ...?

Hope to see you there!

Ben

• Like 3

On 7/11/2017 at 8:36 AM, MrEarl said:

Actually Rita surprised me the other evening while watching Muds vlogs with a statement "we ARE going to Denver next year" but that likely won't be in Buttercup. OC in '19, maybe. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread ...?

Once you check the route you'll most likely be taking from Denver back to Athens, you'll see that you'll be going within a couple of blocks (not miles) of the scheduled ROA event in Overland Park, KS the next week. Will we see you there as Well?  Hope so.

Ed

• Like 1

Great meet and great weather.  Great weather until the last 200 miles.  I knew we were heading to the home direction because it just got hotter and hotter.  When we pulled into the driveway it was over 100*.  The AC worked great and the engine temperature on the road never got over 200*.  The engine temperature when stuck in traffic in Dallas for 40 minutes went to 220*, but no boil over (I was close to melt down and boil over!).

"Too soon old and to late smart":  never try to punch through a big city with an old car...take the looong way around where you might have and escape route if traffic stalls.

Only 2580 miles driven (about half of our west coast and east coast trips).  16 mpg; 1/2 quart oil; no repairs other than rig the idle.

Good to see old and new friends again!

• Like 9