Texas Road Warriors --- Brookfield or Bust (into beer and cheese)

old-tank

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... texas road warriors) to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 12 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-3 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  

Willie

• Like 7

I am leaving 7/3 with plans of driving to Springfield MO that day, which will be more than your daily plan.

I have checked several options but have used the US75 out of Dallas thru Muskogee several times and it works for me, plus it is the shortest.

Nancy is not going so there may be fewer stops (and shorter stops)

• Like 3

We will leave either  the 2nd or the 3rd and make our way to Milwaukee eventually. Will probably go the I 35 route as we want to see friends in Stillwater. Then through Rockford Illinois to see relatives. Hopefully all will work on the 1960 Electra.

Anyone taking the route near Joplin/Springfield MO and likes to stop for special attractions, I recommend these....

Rogers AK....Daisy BB gun museum small but very interesting if you had or wanted a BB gun when young.

Bentenville AK    Crystal Bridges museum, here is link http://crystalbridges.org/  free

Springfield MO.....Bass Pro Shop headquarters.......300,000 sq of hunting, fishing, camping, etc displays plus a gun and archery museum (all free) and they have a good restaurant.

I am planning to visit the Wisconsin Automotive Museum in Hartford WI. it is about 45 minutes north of Brookfield and their main cars are Nash and Kissel.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, old-tank said:

Only peasants' brews:  grog, mead, beer; no snooty wine.

You surprise me Willie, could have sworn you were one of them " Chardonnay " drinkers!!

Wish I was there to catch up again, maybe in the next couple of years or if the Aussie $ comes good again against your greenbacks.

Enjoy your drive and stay safe.  

• Like 3

We haven't made reservations for stops in route yet. Most likely will leave 3rd or 4th and spend 2 nights on the road.  Its 1000 miles from our house and I'm getting older you know. I will post pics on FB along the way.  I plan to take US 69 thru Oklahoma to I 44 and mostly follow Google routing.  Look for the Green 67 LeSabre unless I have more problems with the AC in which case alternate is the Riviera we took to Springfield. 

Chuck & Mary  (Charles Bloomberg on FB)

• Like 1

I would love to be part of the infamous Texas Road Warriors someday, but we usually leave earlier.  We are leaving Friday June 30 and going to spend a few days in Wisconsin Dells, and maybe take in a Brewers game before heading to Brookfield on Tuesday afternoon to start setting up the registration desk.  Have fun and safe travels to all.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TxBuicks said:

I would love to be part of the infamous Texas Road Warriors someday, but we usually leave earlier.  We are leaving Friday June 30 and going to spend a few days in Wisconsin Dells, and maybe take in a Brewers game before heading to Brookfield on Tuesday afternoon to start setting up the registration desk.  Have fun and safe travels to all.

(don't let Roy fool you.  He is our scout and spy)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am leaving Leonard, Texas 2-3 hours from now; will be towing my 1958 Special parts car, so that will stick out like a sore thumb. Going up US. 69/75 to Joplin, MO this evening, then up to Kansas City to pick up Interstate 35 tomorrow; will keep an eye out for any stragglers. If anyone needs a tow, maybe we can sell the parts car on the side of the road, to give me an empty trailer!

Pete Phillips

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

....... then up to Kansas City to pick up Interstate 35 tomorrow; will keep an eye out for any stragglers. If anyone needs a tow, maybe we can sell the parts car on the side of the road, to give me an empty trailer!

Pete Phillips

Honk as you go by.

• Like 2

Yes, packing today and getting the dogs and cats in storage.  We'll be "off like a herd of turtles" tomorrow am and plan to drive about 430 miles to Mc Alester, OK. or another 60 miles to Muskogee.  Got Dallas in my way :angry:.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Yes, packing today and getting the dogs and cats in storage.  We'll be "off like a herd of turtles" tomorrow am and plan to drive about 430 miles to Mc Alester, OK. or another 60 miles to Muskogee.  Got Dallas in my way :angry:.

Remember, you don't need a Toll Tag to use the "tolled lanes".  They'll scan your license plate and send a bill later.  Using Fort Worth as an alternative northward is NOT a good deal, due to massive construction in the downtown region on I-35W and SSLLOOOWWW traffic.  You CAN pickup the TX161 Bush Tollway to go between DFW and Irving and northward to US75 in Plano, though.  Or from TX161 in Irving and normal TX121 in Grapevine,, head to the TX121 Sam Rayburn Tollway to US75 in McKinney.

Beer and Cheese both need yeast in their production?

Y'all drive friendly and have a great excursion!

NTX5467

• Like 2

Am at the restored, 1939, Art Moderne "Boots Motel" in Carthage, MO tonight, in the very room (#9) where Clark Gable stayed on one of his cross-country trips back in the day. This place is located where old Rte. 66 and the Jefferson Highway intersect, a little northeast of Joplin. Places like this need to be kept alive. On old Rte. 66, so the price for the room is (are you ready?) $66. Honest.

Boots court & Buick resized.jpg

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

• Like 6

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, old-tank said:

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... texas road warriors) to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 12 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-3 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  

Willie

It makes me want to move to Texas just so I can join in! Here I am worried about driving “One Bid” two hours and you guys are coming all the way from Texas!  I am a wimp!  Mud

• Like 2

Mud,  You will have your chance in a couple of years to take a long drive for the Nationals.

Unfortunately my work got in the way, had 2 people quit and one went out real sick.

I am going to look forward to hearing the stories and sorry I won't have one of my own. 

Something always seem to happen to me on the way or on the way back from them.

• Like 1

Made it to Cedar Rapids, Iowa this evening. I think I have about 250-300 miles to go tomorrow. Came through some very heavy rain and marble-sized hail south of Des Moines, Iowa (first photo--do you think it's going to rain?); then took the old Lincoln Highway across central and eastern Iowa. The bridge in Tama, Iowa dates from 1915. The gas, food, & lodging complex is near the town of State Center, Iowa.

Still haven't seen any old Buicks on the road.

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

• Like 6

Made it to McAlester, OK 435 miles, 16.3 mpg, 59 mph moving average, 82 mph highest speed.  Only had to lock the brakes twice in Dallas (*&^%$#), GPS took us on surface streets just like 60 years ago.  Never did find the toll roads...google maps has numbers not names, Garmin is obsolete even with recent update.  No touristy stuff since we have been over this same route too many times.

Ate at a nice Italian restauran...very nice since it had a brewery!  Nap time....

Willie

• Like 9

We gambled today and drove straight through downtown Chicago. Almost caught a hr ball driving by Comiskey. Lol.

Only hit about 10 minutes worth of traffic, and didn't lock the brakes up once on the '59, but it was close. There were 4 hours between rumble strip hits, I think that's a record!

I thought the Indiana pot holes were bad until we hit Wisconsin.

Town is very nice, hotel is nice a well, with a special treat upon check-in, plus homemade peanut brittle. If the parking lot isn't big enough, there's 2000 empty spots next door at Sears. :)

See you road warriors soon!

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Haven't figured out what is "the special treat upon check-in", but the weather is beautiful, some parts vendors are already set up, and about 15 old Buicks are here so far, with more arriving every hour. Here are a few photos, starting with the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa.

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

• Like 8

450 miles today, 400 miles to go.  Car is performing as expected, but my coffee consumption has increased.

Rain, hills, traffic lights north of McAlester, but cloudy and cool so no A/C needed.

Traffic light to moderate, no construction, butstill lots of trucks.

BBQ tonight, had 9 choices of sauce (should have been my first clue since good bbq needs no sauce)  beer was good.

lonely 55

WP_20170704_19_49_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.97af550c6b2901ddd4f18ff511361502.jpg

• Like 10

On the way as well, but the Buick didn't make the whole trip.  Here I am on the Lake Superior shore on the way to the body shop in MI.  Dropped it off yesterday and driving with an empty trailer to the meet tomorrow.

IMG_4565.JPG

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, old-tank said:

St Louis in my way today...

No big deal this time.  In fact it was so easy I thought about going through Chicago (I did get over that thought real quick.)

1293 miles with no issues.

Already found a few old and new friends.

No cheese yet, but did find a nice chocolate oatmeal stout.WP_20170705_18_31_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.5fe7f312cf47d4a7a5be682c46e21978.jpg

• Like 9