1925 Bugatti Type 30 Convertible
40992_leftfront.jpgVIN: 4503
LIC: 40992 (MA)
Color: Bugatti Blue
Stolen From: 5842 Paradise Drive, Corte Madera
Date of Theft: 05/14/2017
Reporting Agency and Their Case #: Central Marin Police Authority- PA 17-10-58
Reporting Agency Contact Number: 415-927-5150
Additional Information: Vehicle stolen from Phil Reilly & Company Automotive. The Bugatti was in a 24’ white trailer with blue stripes plate number 1WB6614 (CA). A 2002 Ford F250 truck with plate number 6U26957 (CA) The vehicle has a black top and black leather interior. There is no driver’s side door. The vehicle is right hand drive, with a 2.2 CC straight 8 over-head-cam engine, dual carburetor exhaust system.

Michael J. O’Neill  >>  Senior Investigator Special Investigation Unit >> Hagerty Insurance Agency, LLC
P: 800-922-4050 X 8343  C: 213-280-5887  F: 231-932-6874  E: moneill@hagerty.com
WWW.HAGERTY.COM  |  141 River's Edge Dr., Suite 200, Traverse City, MI 49684 

40992_rightfront.jpg

My guess is that whomever stole it doesn't want the Bugatti, they wanted the tow rig. The information is so badly written that it's hard to tell if the 2002 Ford F250 was also stolen along with the trailer and the Bugatti. I had a client who was touring with his 1922 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and parked it in his trailer overnight. It was gone in the morning. They found the $400,000 Rolls a few miles up the road, unceremoniously dumped in the ditch by the side of the road but the 12-year-old Suburban that was pulling a 5-year-old trailer was long gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that since it wasn't found already obviously dumped, the thieves might have stashed the Bugatti someplace it won't ever be found--like a lake.

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I hope the Bugatti is found unharmed. Bob

I don't know how you'd even sell it even if you stole it, it's going to be known as a stolen car in all of the classic car circles

There have been several antique cars disappeared this way the past few years. One (last year?) was stolen from a model T club national tour (Arizona? New Mexico?). The car was found abandoned  a couple weeks later. I don't recall now if the truck and trailer were recovered or not. A few years ago now, a good friend of mine lost an EMF automobile. Most of the car was recovered based on a tip some time later. It took about two years before the majority of the brass (lamps and radiator) were also recovered, based again on a tip of parts for sale. I have heard of several other thefts of antique automobiles inside trailers. More of the antique cars I think have been recovered than the trailers were.

My fingers are crossed that the Bugatti can be recovered quickly, as again, it likely was not the target of the theft.

I don't get out a lot these days, but will keep an eye out when I am. I am about 150 miles from Corte Madera. Not likely they would end up here, but one never knows.

It would be easier to do if the description and message in general were better written. Sad that our society has reached this distressing level.

Nonetheless, thank you Bibendnum (CarFreak) for forwarding this.

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

unceremoniously dumped in the ditch by the side of the road but the 12-year-old Suburban that was pulling a 5-year-old trailer was long gone

"I sure hope the Boss doesn't find out where we got the trailer."

3792C4C900000578-3756913-image-a-2_14721

I like and enjoy ALL humor, and most especially anything that takes a jab and is not politically correct. BUT this is the only site online that I visit where there is no......... shall we say...... CRAP to have to put up with. Let's all please agree to keep this forum the way it has been for over a decade. About cars and people, narrowly focoused and enjoyable.

60Flattop- I dont think you post is over the top or offensive........ I just don't want the first crack in the dyke............ I'm tempted to respond with a like kind comment to continue the smile you gave me, but I want to try an practice what I preach.(And that ain't easy!)

• Like 2

If it wasn't for irreverence I wouldn't have any reverence at all.

I tried being narrowly focused but the restraint was killing me!

I'm imagining a couple crooks stealing the truck and trailer, ignorantly dumping the Bugatti, another person finding the Bugatti and extorting a finder's fee from the owner.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Edinmass,

I thoroughly agree with you. These forums should be apolitical. We can get that stuff on plenty of other websites.

If we want to get irreverent, we can always comment on '63 Ramblers for sale in the Classics section or "concours restorations" with velour upholstery

• Like 4

Customer's trailer was stolen from his house. Luckily his '31 Caddy v-12 Roadster was not aboard at the time. The thieves painted the red trailer green with house paint. The trailer was eventually found. The insurance company paid us to remove the green latex paint.