I-80 East to West Thru PA

dship

Am planning on attending the 2017 BCA National in WI.  Normally, traveling from east to west from my home in MA, I take I-90 thru upper state NY, then merge with I-80 in OH.  I'm alternatively considering picking up I-80 in most eastern PA and traveling straight thru west bound thru the state.  Have any of you folks traveled this road and/or have any recommendations or pros/cons?? 

CON:  Bronx, NY &George Washington Bridge, Not to mention I 95 through CT,  Unless you are planning I 84 through Ct, NY and then into PA.

Is time of the essence?   

Ship,

I would suggest you time through Hartford during rush, and also Waterbury and Danbury can also be congested.  I will take I 84 and than a slower route on US 17 through NY, probably make a three day trip (as I am not getting any younger), stop in Bath, NY and near Toledo, OH so I am down to about 6 hours driving each day.  Dr. says I also need to get the legs moving every couple of hours, so I do not get a clot.  For you, I would suggest you avoid Hartford, take the MA pike to Albany and drop down, probably the way John D will be going and take I-88 to and from their West, eventually connecting to I-80 west.

John. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I have done that trip both ways more than a few times.  Taking the northern route is longer.

My advice is to go 90, to 84 to 81 to 80.  You need to time Hartford so you are not there at rush hour otherwise.

This is the way I would go. Miss all the big cities. I did this when I drove a truck.  Traffic is heavy, hillier than I 90, But all in all , not bad.

Ben

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice so far, folks.  Time is not a factor, but I haven't decided whether I will take 3 days or 2 to travel the 1125 miles.  When traveling, I have been known to do between 550 and 650 miles per day.  If I head toward I-80 in eastern PA, I will travel I-95 thru MA, RI, CT, and as I hit NY I will head over to the Tappan Zee Bridge.  The start of I-95 is closer to my house than heading to I-90/I-84).  I know I-95 really sucks thru southern CT (always busy/always congested) and I totally avoid the GW Bridge in NY...I always circumvent it by going over the Tappan Zee.

I will say I do like to travel thru upper state NY...been thru there many times.

I grew up in Westchester County, NY, and travelled the Tappan Zee Bridge many times.  Not trying to be an alarmist but I stopped travelling it when I learned chunks were falling into the Hudson River below.  Apparently up to 3 foot long chunks! 

Any time taken to get to I 90 from your home has to be more pleasant than driving I 95 for 5 minutes...LOL

BTW, John S. is right.  Take I 90 to Rt 88, southwest  to Binghamton, and then across the NY Southern Tier to Jamestown NY, home of Lucille Ball!  Binghamton is 2 1/2 hrs from Albany, with a rest stop 12 miles west of Cobbleskill or several businesses in Oneonta.  Stay in Corning NY overnight or go through to Jamestown.  It's a ride reminiscent of the late 60's with wide open highways where you can put the top down.  Per Google Maps:

5909ee2aae871_2017meetmap1.thumb.JPG.6b5d868556aafaff237e45b55759f155.JPG

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I grew up in Westchester County, NY, and travelled the Tappan Zee Bridge many times.  Not trying to be an alarmist but I stopped travelling it when I learned chunks were falling into the Hudson River below.  Apparently up to 3 foot long chunks!

I would strongly advise NOT to go this way.   Use 84, just don't be in Hartford between 6:30 AM - 9:00 Am and 4:30 PM and 7:30 PM.

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Yikes!  Now you tell me!

Not as bad as the "free" freeways in Chicago:  concrete patches all over on the overpasses, with some holes showing the ground below with just some rusty rebar.

NY is building a new Tappan Zee bridge right next to the old one as we speak.  Saw the construction as I went through there last year on my way to/from the BCA Allentown meet.  Not sure if its ready yet, though.

Kind of liking the suggestion of I-90 to I-88 thru more southern NY state.  Will seriously consider this one....thanks.

I-95 is an OK road within MA until one hits RI.  Just don't try to travel it when the Patriots are playing a home game!  

We are planning to catch RT 90 in LeRoy, about 10 miles south of me and take it to the west side of Cleveland. Then drop down to RT 30 and stick to the secondary roads, skirting Chicago most of the way to Peoria and then swing up north, coming into Milwaukee from a little ways west.. When we leave it will be north to Green Bay and Sault St. Marie, then secondary roads around Georgian Bay and through Hamilton to home. It's about 1600 miles and with two days at the meet we figure we will be gone something like 10 days.

Dropped the plans to get the Riviera done in time so the '60 Electra will be the ride. I have a fender I want to paint before we leave and it looks like today the outside temperature MIGHT peak and 50. Whooopie!

590a352a1fa09_NatsTrip.JPG.1ec3f3f3e24c4e4fd779128f94eb5d65.JPG

I know I am going to wish I had taken a couple more days and made the loop around Superior, as well, but then I'd stay in Canada and cross back at the 1,000 Islands so I'd circumnavigate all the lakes. Maybe I will take a run around Lake Ontario for a dry run... if it warms up.

Bernie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DShip said:

NY is building a new Tappan Zee bridge right next to the old one as we speak.

I had a meeting at the Westchester BOCES a few years ago and was coming in from RT 17, which is a nice ride. The radio was talking about construction delays on the Tappanzee due to new deck going down.

As I rode along I got thinking. On the bridge I was either going to drive over decking that had deteriorated to the point of needing replacement OR I was going to be on freshly installed decking from some low bid contractor. That was my first time over the Bear Mountain Bridge on RT 6. Really a neat bridge and when I have a choice that's the one I have taken ever since.

John, that southern route through Binghamton is a good choice. I did an audit on the Mt. Upton school district a few years back and took RT 86 over to Corning, no traffic. I don't think anyone knows it is there. Talk about building a highway to nowhere, very scenic, nice drive.

Bernie

• Like 1

Just wanted to mention, while traffic around Hartford is still busy, with government lay-offs and firings, plus reduced work in the private sector, the traffic, at times, during rush hour is somewhat reduced from previous years, in my opinion.  I think the new TZ bridge is not yet complete, but our friends from LI have little choice.

John

Just check on your  84  to 81 to 80  . Major construction start on North bound 81 this week and are switching to southbound when done . They said intense for next 4 weeks . I would use 84 to 380 (by-passing 81) to 80 . Looks bad on map but is total open road . I use when going to New England. Just 15 miles west of 80 x 81 split  speed goes up to 70 MPH . I live a stone throw from that split ,If needed .

Tom

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DShip said:

I'm alternatively considering picking up I-80 in most eastern PA and traveling straight thru west bound thru the state.  Have any of you folks traveled this road and/or have any recommendations or pros/cons?? 

Yup. Many times. Nice road, pretty country, a bit hilly in spots but nothing outrageous, and it's free, at least in PA...............Bob

Thank you all for your recommendations.  I've made a "management decision".  I'm going to take I-90 thru MA to NY, then I-88 to I-86. Will then merge with I-80 in OH, then basically on to IN, IL.  Will pick up I-294 to circumvent Chicago.  Will probably stop in Jamestown, NY, and South Bend, IN, for over nighters if I decide on a 3 day journey...somewhere in between if I make it a long 2 day.  Hopefully July 4th holiday traffic will be manageable on my way to Brookfield, WI.

Again, thanks for the help...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, DShip said:

Thank you all for your recommendations.  I've made a "management decision".  I'm going to take I-90 thru MA to NY, then I-88 to I-86. Will then merge with I-80 in OH, then basically on to IN, IL.  Will pick up I-294 to circumvent Chicago.  Will probably stop in Jamestown, NY, and South Bend, IN, for over nighters if I decide on a 3 day journey...somewhere in between if I make it a long 2 day.  Hopefully July 4th holiday traffic will be manageable on my way to Brookfield, WI.

Again, thanks for the help...

If it's anything like I experienced last year during the 4th of July, EVERYONE and his brother will be in D.C.  Or they'll be headed that way and you'll be going the opposite way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I'm a lucky dog. Get in my car, drive two miles to Highway 41 and head south for 100 miles and I am there...

Dave...I know what you mean.  The 2011 BCA National in Danvers, MA, was just 30 miles north from my house!

The assumption was that if I had decided to head over the Tappan Zee bridge, I-287 would have been the logical route to get to I-80...just didn't include it.  But as noted, I decided not to travel over the bridge.

Dave,

Looks like we will be traveling the same route. If you decide when you will be leaving, maybe we can connect along the way.  I might be able to get to Jamestown for the first stop, but I had not planned going that far first day.  Let me know.  JH will be going but I am not sure of his route and time.

John

On 5/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, jscheib said:

... it is a bit boring lonely ride.  But you may see a few Buick travelers along the way.

Yes, interstates are perfect for driving through an area

and seeing nothing!  I have driven on Interstate 80 across

the state probably hundreds of times.

On I-80, you'll see plenty of woods and fields from a distance.

The areas through which it passes are sparsely populated,

and the only delays would be if PennDOT has closed a lane

for a few miles and traffic builds and backs up.

If you REALLY enjoy traveling, go across Route 6 at the

northern part of the state--through the nice small towns of

Wellsboro, Coudersport, Smethport, Warren, etc.  There are

even some old cottage-style motels still present.  You'll actually

get a feeling for the character and beauty of the area.  Route 6

is a regular 2-lane highway, not a superhighway, so while it

won't be nearly as fast, it will be a pleasant trip you'll remember. 

• Like 1

I agree with John. Once you leave the festering swamp of Philadelphia and head West, PA is a beautiful state. Rt 80 provides an unending view of our mountains and woods and Rt 6 is step back in time to the rural quaintness of Pa. Rt 6 is sort of our Rt 66. My wife and I very much like to visit and explore our small towns and have lunch in a local eatery or old hotel. we are seldom disappointed. If you have the chance stop for lunch at the diner in downtown Wellsboro. .............Bob