Grease Fittings I would like to know more about

AlanM

Over the years I have accumulated these grease fittings.  Mostly I have owned cars that used Alemite fittings and I don't recall where these came from.

Can anyone identify these and provide information such as name/manufacturer, where used, vintage, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2017-01-01 007.JPG

I've not seen any of the "A" type but "B" looks to be a water pump fitting in the same style a "C,D and E" which I believe are Model A Ford style. They may have been used on other types of vehicles too. " F" looks to be the more modern Alemite style fitting that began in the '30's.

B and E are common industrial type fittings that may also be used on cars. B is a grease cup, you pack the cap with grease and screw it on. Every once in a while you give it a half turn which pushes a little more grease into the bearing. Most likely used on a water pump which needs very little grease.

E is an oil fitting. Lubed with an oil gun which has a telescoping spring loaded end. Push it against the fitting and give it a shot of oil. This type gun will not work with grease, too thick.

Some early car makers recommended heavy oil as a chassis lubricant, stating it was better than grease.

I still have my Dad's old Alemite grease fitting display case, with fittings, grease guns, and catalogs. I can help if you need any further details, but I think that Craig Gillingham above has covered it pretty well. 

Alemite case lo rez 1.jpg

Alemite case lo rez 4.jpg

Alemite case lo rez 7.jpg

Alemite case lo rez 12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/2/2017 at 2:43 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

B and E are common industrial type fittings that may also be used on cars. B is a grease cup, you pack the cap with grease and screw it on. Every once in a while you give it a half turn which pushes a little more grease into the bearing. Most likely used on a water pump which needs very little grease.

E is an oil fitting. Lubed with an oil gun which has a telescoping spring loaded end. Push it against the fitting and give it a shot of oil. This type gun will not work with grease, too thick.

Some early car makers recommended heavy oil as a chassis lubricant, stating it was better than grease.

"B" is a type fitting used on Model A Ford water pumps for lubricating the pump's rear bushing with water soluable grease.  It is a grease fitting with a screw-on protective cap.  To grease, the cap is removed and the fitting greased with a gun, then the cap is replaced.  If not tightened all the way the cap can vibrate off.
"E" is a grease fitting rather than an oil one.  They were used in various places on Model A Fords and other vehicles, and required the use of an Alemite grease gun with a plain conical opening which had to be held firmly against the fitting while greasing.  The best version of the "E" fitting had a check ball to retain the grease.  The cheapies didn't, and the grease could come back out like toothpaste oozing from its tube.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2017 at 9:45 AM, Jim Milewski said:

Good morning lump - saw your response to the grease fitting thread, do you have any info on a floor "Bassick" alemite grease pump - early 1920's ?

Jim

Just realized I had missed your question, Jim Milewski. My apologies.

I'll pull the cabinet down from its high shelf in my garage, and see if any of the catalogs or literature in there have any info on it. Give me a day or two...