Stearns Knight

alsancle

19 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Glad the cop wasn't behind with that red light incident!

They can't ticket you if they can't catch you!

There was NO way that car would stop...........the light turned faster than usual.......probably a weekend program. The Stearns is like a freight train........it's doesn't stop on a dime.

• Haha 1

A speeding ticket at a higher than posted highway speed limit would be a trophy in a 92 year old car! The higher the over speed, the more value it has. Well, as long as the ticket price is paid by someone else, or perhaps by YouTube video ad proceeds. So, Ed - get it out on the highway and drive like you're in Florida. I'll promote your video views. I'll even ask all six of my friends to watch it as many times as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I want to take a bow for my contribution to this effort.   I'm the one that taught Ed how to hold his phone when he's taking a video.

Darryl pointed out the missing cover on the running board apron.   Now whenever I see a picture my eyes go right to that hole.  I'm assuming that is for lubing the spring perch?

IMG_0083.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Not much gear whine. Is it the video or is there anything different with the transmission gearing on the Stearns?

3 speeds and 1:1 in 3rd.  Ed thinks the rear end is geared higher than the 4.25 it should be. Maybe as high as 3.25.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, alsancle said:

3 speeds and 1:1 in 3rd.  Ed thinks the rear end is geared higher than the 4.25 it should be. Maybe as high as 3.25.

Phil thinks the rear is 3.25 , I think its between 2.5 and 2.8

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

I want to take a bow for my contribution to this effort.   I'm the one that taught Ed how to hold his phone when he's taking a video.

You must be a very patient teacher or it took some whacks with the ruler - he did well... no sideways and no thumb (LOL)

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sold! 35 bucks American! It’s got a new home for three weeks. You too can experience this wonderful machine for just $135 a day. 😝

8EF2C2F3-52EC-437A-93C1-CA1DF38F58B8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Dad will always talk about the winter quest for alcohol based antifreeze or RV antifreeze (a product not particularly easy to find in late 60's and early 70's) for Dave Bells 1929 6 Cylinder Coupe (one of the most traveled/toured SK's around) - seems he was never confident that you could eliminate head leakage via its engineering.  Usually he ran summers with just water and water pump lubricant added and then in winter went with alcohol based with water pump lubricant added. 

• Like 1

Steve.......walking around the auction cars at Pebble.......it’s apparent that several of the cars stole patina from some of yours. It’s incredible that auctioning a dusty and dirty car are now “added value” to a cars “selling package & provenance “. There will be a car on display on the 18th green that I saw “as removed” from the barn a few years ago. I predict a complete paint job........antiqued and showing buff through and polish burn........but I also bet ten to one all the body dents, fender tears, broken glass, and dented running board moldings are all now gone. So, it’s will be a 2/3 restoration..........so it’s still considered unrestored. In fact, it only damages and degrades the true unrestored car............we shall see on Sunday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a video of the car running for a few minutes in the parking lot, to show how it doesn’t smoke at all anymore. AJ will post it tomorrow.

If your going to run out of gas in the Florida summer, do it where there is shade.......which we had while waiting for gas. Unfortunately, AJ is so cheap, he doesn’t give me a fuel budget to test drive the car.........

87E763B0-B137-4210-9CF8-A3377AF9CCF2.jpeg

05D06C29-3DBA-438D-BF2F-BBE7A2B5C69D.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

AJ is good about buying dinner.......at McDonalds if you order the happy meal.....but he keeps the prize. Getting him to kick in for gas to do a test drive is another thing.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Is the plan to revert the fenders and splash pan/sills black? I noticed from the original photos the courtesy lights got moved up....How did that happen? New holes drilled or sill or different car or somehow photography trick?

It is actually dark brown.  We will have to see how things go but that would be the plan.   Ed has found evidence of the color on the lower part of the car being changed so I'm pretty sure all the pictures are the same car.    But the courtesy light is interesting.  We will have to see what is underneath when we strip it.

Those lights were made in the 60's and sold by Don Sommer and others............common add ons back in the days of bling.......

4 hours ago, pughs said:

Here is a review of the colors from December 1928

589367437_Autobodyscan001-crop2.jpg.38b7b571cc7803a2907bf25cb80881e8.jpg

Looks good........and notice no side mount mirrors. 

• Like 1

Greatly enjoy the videos AJ - thank you for sharing!

Now for a question - we have all heard the horror stories of sleeve valve engines smoking etc. most of which I have taken with a grain of salt and feel are mere folklore repeated enough times to become accepted fact. Or, more probable, stem from experiences with unsorted, well worn or otherwise "not-quite-right" cars.

So with that in mind if someone where looking to purchase a car with a Knight sleeve valve engine and or sort out a "smoker" what is key to look for or do? Every so often I come across a Willy-Knight on the market and though a fine car they seem to be shunned and or feared.

6 minutes ago, Terry Harper said:

Greatly enjoy the videos AJ - thank you for sharing!

Now for a question - we have all heard the horror stories of sleeve valve engines smoking etc. most of which I have taken with a grain of salt and feel are mere folklore repeated enough times to become accepted fact. Or, more probable, stem from experiences with unsorted, well worn or otherwise "not-quite-right" cars.

So with that in mind if someone where looking to purchase a car with a Knight sleeve valve engine and or sort out a "smoker" what is key to look for or do? Every so often I come across a Willy-Knight on the market and though a fine car they seem to be shunned and or feared.

I'll let Pete, Mark or Ed answer.    I know what Ed did to the Brunn,  but I'm not sure that would always work.

• Like 1