Road Trip - Route 66

49_buick_super

I have now repaired the brakes and this is a note to describe the fix of the problem that cut short our push to the Pacific.  Perhaps it might help someone else in diagnosing a brake system issue.

In the several days prior to ending the trip in Flagstaff, I was noticing a diminished brake pedal.  I experienced no loss of braking power but just a gradual, inexorable increase in pedal throw.  I attributed it at the time to needing the rear drum brakes adjusted because I had, in the past, experienced this same symptom when the rear brake shoes needed to be touched up. But on the morning of October 5, the brake pedal traveled all the way to the linkage stop.  Whoops.  I still had some braking function but not enough for safe travel.  As you read this, keep in mind that I am running a dual-chamber master cylinder with Wilwood disc brakes on the front and stock drum brakes on the rear wheels.

After returning home, I acted on the diagnosis of the Flagstaff brake shop and replaced the brake master cylinder.  With it installed and bled, I still had full pedal throw to the linkage stop.  Hmmm.  Moving to the rear wheel cylinders, to my surprise, I found air and fluid mixed when bleeding but no signs of fluid leakage. 

Thinking about the restoration, I had provided NOS Delco Remy wheel cylinders still sealed in their original cans.  At the time, the discussion was to examine them after opening the cans and replace the internals with new kits.   It would now appear that the NOS brake wheel cylinders were installed without new kits.

Pinching off the flexible brake line with padded vice grips to isolate the rear brakes from the master cylinder caused the return of full, solid brake pedal.  
I removed both rear brake wheel cylinders and found the cylinder bores in surprisingly good condition but each piston was rusted.  There were no leaks of brake fluid evident anywhere on either of these rear wheel cylinders.

I replaced the both with new cylinders and bled the brakes.  Presto.  Full brake function was restored with a solid pedal that has about one inch of throw at the most.
So, the diagnosis of the brake shop in Flagstaff was wrong.  I probably replaced a brake master cylinder that was still working.  I should have thought about isolating the rear brakes from the master cylinder as a first test but I was sidetracked by their faulty diagnosis.  These rear wheel cylinders were "breathing" air but still holding back any fluid leakage. 

In the very near future, I will be moving the 6-volt electric fuel pump to the rear of the car by the fuel tank.  I'd like to thank everyone that shared information with me during the trip about vapor lock.  I now possess the information I need to give the car the best chance of avoiding Ms. Vapor Lock at the dances.

We will be returning in April with the conclusion.  In the mean time, with the onset of beautiful fall weather, this is the start of our car show season here in the Southwest . Time to get out there and give folks something to look at other than Tri-5's, Camaros, Mustangs, and 'Vettes.  ;)
Dan

• Like 11

Your problem is a common one. In my shop we sometimes get brand new wheel cylinders that suck air

right out of the box. they usually leak fluid as well but sometimes they only suck air and don't leak. Your saga was the most

entertaining thing I've seen on the internet in years........thanks for sharing......I wish I had been riding in your back seat!

• Like 2

On 10/19/2016 at 3:20 PM, 49_buick_super said:

These rear wheel cylinders were "breathing" air but still holding back any fluid leakage

Go back the the MC again.  For drum brakes there has to be ~10# residual pressure to keep that from happening.  Your old stock MC had that built in at the outlet.  Some aftermarket dual MC's need an additional residual check valve or a combination valve.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, old-tank said:

Go back the the MC again.  For drum brakes there has to be ~10# residual pressure to keep that from happening.  Your old stock MC had that built in at the outlet.  Some aftermarket dual MC's need an additional residual check valve or a combination valve.

You are right and I do have a residual pressure valve installed.  It was installed with the Wilwood kit.  Good call.  It wasn't thought of at first before the car hit the road from the restoration shop, but Ken Mitson asked me about it and it was installed with the kit.

Dan

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:06 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Your problem is a common one. In my shop we sometimes get brand new wheel cylinders that suck air

right out of the box. they usually leak fluid as well but sometimes they only suck air and don't leak. Your saga was the most

entertaining thing I've seen on the internet in years........thanks for sharing......I wish I had been riding in your back seat!

Ditto. Congrats on a fantastic adventure. Inspired :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Dan  You wrote a great article on your trip with your Buick. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. I know you probably don't remember me but I met you a couple of years ago at the Rt 66 Fun in Kingman,Az and you gave me the info about AACA web site. I was wondering when you continue your trip in April if you were going to be coming through Hackberry on Rt 66 and stopping there. I live about another ten miles or so down the road and I would like to see your 49 again. I have by 47 Sedanet  back on the road again, it might make a good photo shoot at the old station. Let me know what you think. Again, it was a great article that you wrote and shared.  Gary

• Like 4

On 1/21/2017 at 11:50 AM, garygerdes said:

Hello Dan  You wrote a great article on your trip with your Buick. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. I know you probably don't remember me but I met you a couple of years ago at the Rt 66 Fun in Kingman,Az and you gave me the info about AACA web site. I was wondering when you continue your trip in April if you were going to be coming through Hackberry on Rt 66 and stopping there. I live about another ten miles or so down the road and I would like to see your 49 again. I have by 47 Sedanet  back on the road again, it might make a good photo shoot at the old station. Let me know what you think. Again, it was a great article that you wrote and shared.  Gary

Hi, Gary -

I do remember you and yes, we will be coming back through Hackberry again in April on our way to Santa Monica.  I will be glad to stop on our way and get some good photos with the Buicks together.  I think that would be great.  Please send me your email and a contact telephone in a PM.  Glad you enjoyed the story of our Route 66 adventure, Part 1.  Part 2 is coming up soon.

Dan

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, 49_buick_super said:

Hi, Gary -

I do remember you and yes, we will be coming back through Hackberry again in April on our way to Santa Monica.  I will be glad to stop on our way and get some good photos with the Buicks together.  I think that would be great.  Please send me your email and a contact telephone in a PM.  Glad you enjoyed the story of our Route 66 adventure, Part 1.  Part 2 is coming up soon.

Dan

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, garygerdes said:

Gary, it's really not a good idea to list your email and phone number so I have sent them to Dan through a PM (Private Message) and removed it from your post. Hope you don't mind.

You can pm him yourself by hoovering your pointer over his ID/name until a profile box appears that will have a message envelope icon in it in the lower left hand corner. Click on that envelope and that will take you to a Private Message where you can message him privately.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Dan, thanks for the great read and pix and video. That bridge went on forever, very cool. Many years ago as a charter member of the BDE, I suggested a rolling annual event, traveling Route 66, but it went nowhere. That group is set on one destination for the week. So for the trip I never got to take, thanks for the vicarious experience. May your spring remainder be eventful in positives and uneventful in negatives. I look forward to riding in the back seat again. Thanks for all your trouble to make us feel like a part of your experience. Dale

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Route 66 – Part 2 started today.

Lynn and I are on our way back to the exact spot in Winslow, Arizona where, 192 days ago, brake trouble derailed our plan to complete a Route 66 trip in our ’49 Buick from west-to-east and then east-to-west.  The sights of Route 66 through Arizona and California lie before us as we travel to Santa Monica and finish the trip we started in September last year, and finally returning to the spot in Flagstaff where it all began.

I will post some pictures here as we motor along.

Dan

• Like 6

We left Phoenix today with the temperature at 73F.  Nice traveling weather for the Buick.  We traveled directly to Flagstaff and paused there long enough to have lunch with some old colleagues and buy gasoline.  Our trip to Flagstaff this time was uneventful.  Smooth sailing.  The 6-volt fuel pump has been relocated where it should have been in the first place - at the gas tank.  Not even a hint of vapor lock.  Our home in Phoenix is at about 1400 feet above sea level. Flagstaff is above 7000.  The performance change is very noticeable in the high altitude but there is nothing rough or hesitant about the engine operation.  So far, so good.

We arrived in Winslow at 3:00 p.m.  We went directly to the spot where we were loaded on the tow truck last October 5th.  We took a couple of starting photos - 

DSC_3709.thumb.jpg.fb31156a3f153d419967ef2fb770e5ef.jpg

DSC_3710.thumb.jpg.f20f8be02bb2cc8244343188ef2a7cd7.jpg

We are staying at a great hotel here in Winslow.  I'll post a few photos of it tomorrow.

I upload a lot more photos if you care to see them at a personal blog site that we keep for family and friends.  You are welcome to view them if you would like.

www.the1949buick.com

Back on the road and looking forward to a great time with the Buick.  

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Day 2 of Part 2

We stayed at the La Posada in Winslow last night.  The La Posada is the resurrection of an old Harvey House and rail road depot used from the 20's to the 50's.  It was scheduled for demolition but some concerned entrepreneurs stepped in and saved the day for this gem.  If you ever take the Route 66 trip and you have plenty of advanced planning as to when you will be in Winslow, then this is the place to stay.  Reservations are necessary.  You cannot drop in and expect to find a vacant room. We were able to stay here because of the time available to us between the end of Part 1 and the start of Part 2 - we got reservations.  

DSC_3752.thumb.jpg.124967895a2b34b642bce9cf1c957249.jpg

DSC_3747.thumb.jpg.e75ed02e928c605fb4b7bdfee7d6bcd3.jpg

DSC_3748.thumb.jpg.5fb94a7aeda39f71666acf55f6cfb175.jpg

DSC_3744.thumb.jpg.b2bb804ef7903df971252c6dcba5e66e.jpg

DSC_3745.thumb.jpg.94bf0643367bf3b99c54e318cb7289b8.jpg

DSC_3743.thumb.jpg.a766028a73a4444095231fbd04c2dfb0.jpg

DSC_3742.thumb.jpg.375909670cb9713e6a5cd91d25721b5e.jpgDSC_3730.thumb.jpg.9ed695a65c89e627f7b646d996436552.jpgDSC_3746.thumb.jpg.d9baa87d57ab11dbe89538438c12f2d9.jpg

Also housed within the La Posada is the Turquoise Room Restaurant.  Not to be missed.  You can dine at the Turquoise Room even if you are not staying at the La Posada.  The entire hotel is open to visitors.  The only restricted areas are the parts of the building that contain the guest rooms.

Leaving Winslow, it was our intention to explore the Petrified Forest in more detail but a family emergency took up a good portion of our time.  

Later in the afternoon we returned again to our old favorite, The Wigwam Motel in Holbrook where we are spending another enchanted time warped night in a teepee room.

For this trip, I have along a drone with a camera (courtesy of my son) and I spent a little time experimenting before dinner.  Here is a rough video of The Wigwam Motel from a little altitude with the Buick below.

Back on the road tomorrow.  The Buick is running very well.

Dan

• Like 6

Day 3 of Part 2

DSC_3753.thumb.JPG.4e9a04bfe8d744d55c5fb82b44dba86e.JPG

We departed The Wigwams and headed straight for the Petrified Forest.  

One of the attractions that we missed last time through was the Painted Desert Inn.  This beauty was started in the late 20's as a project of some local ranchers and ended up being a Harvey House for a while.  Its walls are completely constructed of petrified wood which has been covered over in textured adobe in later years.  The Buick sure looks good parked here.

DSC_3772.thumb.jpg.2b8b89ceb8706f786321839acd549253.jpg

We went on to explore a few more areas of the park, some on foot.

DSC_3797.thumb.jpg.e14cda40e4b72b5707fee057b935cbab.jpg

DSC_3806.thumb.jpg.3dddb268f8b0d989f5a197fce1cd347c.jpg

In this photo, you can see the Buick in the parking lot below, framed between to pieces of petrified wood.

DSC_3804.thumb.jpg.e64eefbde2e5f77a775af6c9deb03d19.jpg

Leaving the Petrified Forest, we headed west.  Once past Winslow, we are "officially" covering Part 2 mileage.  At the Winona exit, I found a good spot to photograph the Buick with the San Francisco peaks in the background.  The highest point in view on the San Francisco peaks is the highest point in the State of Arizona.

DSC_3809.thumb.jpg.19dc69474c557492c915fb6dba2e34f2.jpg

Passing again westbound through Flagstaff on Route 66, we passed the September 2016 starting point for the whole trip.  We are now in Williams, AZ where we will be spending two days.

The Buick continues to cover these road miles without complaint or problem but the Dynaflow is now doing some dripping instead of "sweating".  Oh, well.  It's a Dynaflow.

Dan

• Like 7

Today was the Buick's day off.  Here is how she spent the day at the motel.

DSC_3874.thumb.jpg.04bcc26718c0455ce833a9fb4f2e4c53.jpg

Today we road the Grand Canyon Railroad from Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon.  What an adventure.  The Grand Canyon has always been considered a Route 66 attraction.  In the glory days of the Mother Road, it was an easy decision to make to see the Grand Canyon while you were "making that California trip" because it was only 64 miles off Route 66.  So close, why miss it?

Here are a few photos our travels today.

The train at the depot in Williams, boarding passengers.

DSC_3814.thumb.jpg.250c68d46df3d6336d110e6644449b96.jpg

A view in our car.  The seats are very comfortable and spacious.  On the morning trip, pastries, fruit, juices, coffee, tea and hot chocolate were served.  On the return trip, fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, crackers, chocolate covered strawberrys and candies were served.  There was also a champagne or cider toast.  There is a full service bar also open for those who want adult beverages.  There were two great sessions of music entertainment and the train was boarded by robbers and we were all "robbed."  Great fun.

DSC_3815.thumb.jpg.3f6718e48c689db0b760dd57d0748d9f.jpg

In our car, which was at the very rear of the train, there is a platform to go outside the train and enjoy the beautiful scenery or take photos.  From the rear of the train, a view of the San Francisco Peaks.

DSC_3818.thumb.jpg.a3bd5238616b8bc3902a14bbb43812c9.jpg

The train arrives at a beautiful depot located right in the heart of South Rim activity. 

DSC_3830.thumb.jpg.4d947a0ea8c1f58a0ab8b3a3a03f9c57.jpg

DSC_3832.thumb.jpg.0525e2e605b8f105aed30ab44a7cbcd3.jpg

We had lunch at the beautiful El Tovar Lodge which is located right on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

DSC_3838.thumb.jpg.415e82ae0e0c1b839e79fa7824d33a83.jpg

A view of El Tovar from a distance west.

DSC_3852.thumb.jpg.ca1fe6b26645bb9864ec3a286a30dcd5.jpg

Immediately east of El Tovar is the beautiful Hopi House where you could spend hours talking yourself (or your wife) out of spending money on some really marvelous works of art.

DSC_3840.thumb.jpg.a6740c32d15d8566a4f9d3a6d44ad1a8.jpg

And the main attraction - the Grand Canyon as we saw it today.

DSC_3841.thumb.jpg.efae50c7393fb69b63d01cb2a4af500c.jpg

DSC_3845.thumb.jpg.ec5baebad193e14b3408c9d1b85a4a1e.jpg

On the return trip to Williams, I went out again on the rear platform and took a few more photos.  Spectacular scenery and a good view of the train as it takes bends in the track.

DSC_3870.thumb.jpg.e6d62d200e2a8f80b00829ced288169a.jpg

DSC_3871.thumb.jpg.3ce01cd9dac05d01703038a25de4d6b0.jpg

We are spending the night in Williams and will be moving west tomorrow.  We are having a wonderful time out here on Route 66.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Envious, Dan. 

I never dreamed as many cars were used on that train trip. I have seen Amtrak trains with fewer.

Ben

Like time travel, Ben.  These are cars used in the 50's and 60's - all restored.  Riding the train was almost as much fun as driving my Buick.  

Dan

• Like 5

Day 5 - Part 2

We left Williams headed west.  The town of Ashfork is the first place where old Route 66 roadway is still there.  We stopped at Zettler's Route 66 Store and met Kirk and Yvette, the owners.  As is so very usual out here on Route 66, you meet the nicest people.  We stayed and talked with them for an hour.  Their store is an interesting mix of biker interest and Route 66 nostalgia.  An old 50's jukebox and and old console radio from the early 40's also can be seen by visitors.  An interesting fact:  80% of their business is foreign tourists and the top-selling item:  old license plates.  They buy them ahead of all other items for sale in the store.

DSC_3875.thumb.jpg.9bc29ede8cc965ccf7a823843b30b1a0.jpg

Another interesting business in Ashfork.  You don't see many of these anymore.

DSC_3878.thumb.jpg.82037b54e678a6cb642cdc3dcd101e40.jpg

Leaving Ashfork, we headed west on I-40 to exit 139.  At this exit we are now on the longest continual stretch of old Route 66 roadway in Arizona - 159 miles.  Our first stop on this stretch is the town of Seligman.

Seligman is a town rich in the history Route 66.  When Seligman was bypassed by I-40, the town almost died.  It was the enterprising spirit of Angel and Juan Delgadillo who started what is now the Arizona Route 66 Historical Association and began the transformation of old Route 66 in Arizona into a real tourism opportunity. Angel started a gift shop adjacent to his barber shop and his brother, Juan, started The Snow Cap burger shop.  Over the years, Angel and Juan have become real celebrities of the Route 66 crowd.  Their businesses flourished and caused other businesses in the town to align with the tourism opportunities.  Today, during Route 66 season, Seligman is full of tourists.  Just today, we saw five full tour buses originating in Las Vegas, stop in front of the Delgadillo business and disgorge several hundred tourists from all over the world.  We had to wait until well after 1:00 p.m. to get into the Snow Cap for lunch.  Here are a few photos...

DSC_3888.thumb.jpg.ed59d0f25ceede3dd97d9a242ba6d6ab.jpg

DSC_3893.thumb.jpg.82ca1501443e84b7e57bca3ab9721aa7.jpg

Inside the gift shop...

DSC_3895.thumb.jpg.a006cd590d7d00529b8c6790d15a08b2.jpg

Inside Angel's famous barber shop...

DSC_3896.thumb.jpg.74f96c87f56a81d2f443d5e16e2aa42a.jpg

DSC_3899.thumb.jpg.62b783a30d3ed23c26e203319c7855b8.jpg

DSC_3898.thumb.jpg.f8ddc64868c7805ab7f1795950ead9a0.jpg

And the Snow Cap...

DSC_3904.thumb.jpg.a9c1935e0ad604d950589ff76a3c433d.jpg

I have a few more photos and I will put them in the next reply.

Dan

• Like 2

Continuing with the Snow Cap in Seligman, a few more pictures.  Here is a picture of my wife trying to bribe me not to take her picture inside the store...

DSC_3907.thumb.jpg.40698f389b3e646edb7a93866d022d05.jpg

And some scenes from outside the store.  It just doesn't get any more kitschy than this...

DSC_3909.thumb.jpg.01636797a4caed7f7c47f4e7776ce5af.jpg

DSC_3910.thumb.jpg.ab88826524336da69b48902477525ed9.jpg

DSC_3912.thumb.jpg.45d54dc7465e4f22f96910bc818c73ab.jpg

DSC_3914.thumb.jpg.125a1a97b6549bcbaa897fd23f173480.jpg

DSC_3915.thumb.jpg.91d5604a46edeacc0d20d572739692aa.jpg

Not far west of the Delgadillo business, The Rusty Bolt.

DSC_3919.thumb.jpg.42720f07ba63dc8b7f5d83a342d98b58.jpg

DSC_3921.thumb.jpg.684270e1f1b62fa9121ca4589a30d91b.jpg

DSC_3924.thumb.jpg.9a30af4f0324cf79ad575b1e84b24fac.jpg

Tonight, we dined at the Road Kill Cafe here in Seligman.  Route 66 doesn't get any better than this.  But wait, there's more...

Dan

• Like 3

Day 6 - Part 2

Last night we stayed in Seligman at the Supai Inn.  Another example of an old Route 66 motel that is well-maintained and sought after by Route 66 travelers.

DSC_3927.thumb.jpg.c7b3e6d53a1e536e3dc34d9935e84267.jpg

DSC_3928.thumb.jpg.db22b3400a7cda538bd90ead876b9660.jpg

Leaving Seligman, we headed west and stopped at the Grand Canyon Caverns.  This attraction is located on private land east of Peach Springs.  The Grand Canyon Caverns have nothing to do with the Grand Canyon but they are a large expanse of deep-underground caverns left behind by water erosion of limestone after what is now the Pacific Ocean receded from this land hundreds of millions of years ago.  The caverns lie 21 stories below the surface and are accessed by an elevator. Photographs taken inside the caverns are not especially remarkable because the majority of what can be seen is limestone and limestone is just a chalk white/gray.  There are exceptions, though.

DSC_3964.thumb.jpg.27c075ea9188e7c84fde3aec36422682.jpg

DSC_3933.thumb.jpg.a3c4a716c9ee977ef7185577e4a4cd76.jpg

DSC_3962.thumb.jpg.a6deafa5c9ae0a166b09399a40f114f7.jpg

One of the incredible features of the attraction is the motel room - a complete room with two beds, shower, toilet, sofas, chairs, TV with DVD player and a table service for dinner served for occupants.  The price per night:  $850.00 USD.  And there are lots of people who do this.  Pitch black without lights, no sound, no moisture at all. No critters live in the caverns because there is absolutely no water, not even a trace of humidity.  Here's what it looks like...

DSC_3956.thumb.jpg.257ae42193beadd07e964d0f310c2022.jpg

DSC_3957.thumb.jpg.723fea0ef02a6c5c3bc1e7dc1d367a28.jpg

There is a good-sized concert area adjacent to the "motel room" but after it was built, the State would not allow occupancy because there is only one way out - the elevator.  No occupancy permit issued.  There is an escape ladder but you have to climb out 210 feet to the surface.

DSC_3939.thumb.jpg.d0a4c2bcbdbcdcac461b545d4db4d5bf.jpg

We were told that two Scottish occupants of the room brought bag pipes with them and regaled the caverns with bag pipe music.

If you look closely you can see the shower and toilet facilites enclosed behind the entertainment center.

DSC_3938.thumb.jpg.7e7547a1cdde0183c7064e3b1a606127.jpg

Leaving the Grand Canyon Caverns, we traveled west and passed through the Hualapai Indian Nation town of Peach Springs.  It is this town that is reportedly the model for the Radiator Springs town in the movie, "Cars" but the geography and features of the town do not remind me of the fictional town in the movie.

West of Peach Springs is the small community of Hackberry.  The general store and old gas station here has always been on Route 66 and it hung on until finally closing in 1978.  Bob Waldmire acquired the general store in 1992 and reopened it as a Route 66 attraction.  It prospered with the resurgence of Route 66 tourism. Interest in the store transferred to other owners after Waldmire's death.  You will remember Waldmire from previous narrative in Springfield and Pontiac, Illinois.

This place is a huge tourist draw.  A bus load of foreign tourists were there when we pulled in and the Buick became an immediate attraction for many tourist cameras.

DSC_3966.thumb.jpg.c8ee7e7efb6acae011049879078c2aa9.jpg

DSC_3968.thumb.jpg.90b18750b252d2427a07234929c57869.jpg

DSC_3970.thumb.jpg.579843fbba19f746298b80bde8c01709.jpg

DSC_3974.thumb.jpg.fb39023346871aa3b4062287abc70f3a.jpg

DSC_3979.thumb.jpg.2ee91f8343168878a810f78fa9010072.jpg

DSC_3971.thumb.jpg.ecd4aad50aab171a73ef46347611f845.jpg

We are staying in Kingman, AZ tonight at another landmark Route 66 motel.  The Buick is running just as fine as if it were '49.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Dan, I am thoroughly enjoying riding along with you and the Mrs.  I would love to hear what the day time temps are while on your travels.  That last picture seems to show a thermometer, and it looks like 80* in the shade?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Dan, I am thoroughly enjoying riding along with you and the Mrs.  I would love to hear what the day time temps are while on your travels.  That last picture seems to show a thermometer, and it looks like 80* in the shade?

John - The daytime temps for the most part have been running in the high 70's to mid-80's.  Today we saw 88 in Needles as we passed through.  There is an expected high of 90 tomorrow for San Bernardino and we will be in that area.  My navigator-meteorologist tells me the temperatures are expected to drop a bit as we start the next week.  I think that thermometer at Hackberry was registering a bit high.  75 might have been more accurate.

Dan

• Like 1

Nice!  Has the Buick kept running the same temp through this section?

I was just looking at the maps and was wondering if you are going to stay on 66 and the National trails Highway through the desert? 

• Like 1

Last night we stayed at the El Trovatore Motel in Kingman.  This is another Route 66 landmark motel.  Constructed in the 30's, it featured large rooms with a shower, toilet and sink in each room.  Norm for the day were communal bathrooms in travelers' accommodations.  Because you didn't have to share toilet and bath with others, it is alleged to have accommodated a number of celebrities in the 30's and 40's.  The motel saw a lot of government and military use during World War II as the Air Force kept a large bomber command on desert airfields near here.  

DSC_3994.thumb.jpg.4bfbe1ef498f000537471575dd42b538.jpg

Very nice rooms to go along with the Route 66 theme.

DSC_3980.thumb.jpg.52437e96a78cfa1ac7742d7550762de6.jpg

Our room from the outside.  Note how the door and windows blend into the mural...

DSC_3984.thumb.jpg.a2b979066f167a007eda06bee07b4b78.jpg

Murals adorn all the buildings.

DSC_4004.thumb.jpg.de770ae452a857e2be4169b78aba186e.jpg

A mural that pays respect to the motel's role during WWII...

DSC_3999.thumb.jpg.b2b8187b4df47427dd0a09dc9219368c.jpg

One of the building has a 206-foot long Route 66 map, as attested to by this mural...

DSC_4009.thumb.jpg.f1f1d93a567c794741aba8e8b8fa8541.jpg

And the real gem, the on-sight tower that holds the motel's sign done in neon.  Beautiful.  The building displaying the mural of the Santa Fe train engine supposedly was the location of many USO activities during WWII.

DSC_4015.thumb.jpg.4fe308500660d59ed287df401802d67d.jpg

We left Kingman this morning and headed west on Old Route 66 toward Sitgreaves Pass and Oatman.  Classic southwest desert scenery surrounds you as you travel along the highway.  Little has changed.  This could be 40 or 50 years ago.

DSC_4018.thumb.jpg.720bf045f3edd96a42988fd92d73eda3.jpg

DSC_4020.thumb.jpg.41cf1160b2ca1ef9b61ba929303f5826.jpg

Along the way you pass Cool Springs.  Built in the mid 20's, it has been a fixture on Route 66 since inception.  There used to be a restaurant, several lodging cabins and a sizeable service station here.  Most of the cabins are gone now and the service station only displays pumps, but there used to be a couple of service garages. It burned to the ground, languished in disrepair, had a Hollywood resurrection when "Universal Soldier" had scenes filmed here.  Bought by a private party in 2001, it is a popular tourist spot now, especially during the Route 66 Fun Run in May each year.   Another unique piece of history along the Mother Road.

DSC_4022.thumb.jpg.fa5a25c025105dd97976803a918295fd.jpg

DSC_4024.thumb.jpg.819e39d979c30c3eadc8d404ed6ef420.jpg

DSC_4021.thumb.jpg.dfda7f71f9bb46cf7332f577228a7085.jpg

It was about here that we passed a man and woman on bicycles.  We stopped to chat.  They are from Switzerland.  They started in Chicago and are headed to Santa Monica, all on Route 66.  Guys (and gals), I was stunned.  Visually they both appear to be in their mid-70's and here they are pedaling across the United States while my tired, mid-60's overweight fanny is sitting quite comfy in the front seat of my Buick as I effortlessly watch the world go by.  Time for some introspection.

A ways down the road, we crossed Sitgreaves Pass.  This location and the climb up and down used to strike fear in the hearts of Route 66 travelers.  The rumors were circulated about treacherous curves and shear cliffs along narrow roads.  The locals did nothing to calm these fears and often travelers along this section of the road would hire locals to driver their cars up and over Sitgreaves Pass.  

DSC_4037.thumb.jpg.eddecfa86bcb595ca8516bce06f3a724.jpg

DSC_4038.thumb.jpg.f81a92ee85074a29a70a74c60af244e4.jpg

Our Buick at Sitgreaves Pass.  The view is to the west.  The farthest land visible is in California.  

DSC_4039.thumb.jpg.ae133a636545c5e9df0c917b282eaf70.jpg

DSC_4040.thumb.jpg.5853546989b99f66b2111711eda2ab3d.jpg

Next stop - Oatman.  The pictures of Oatman speak for themselves.  Eclectic and kitschy all at once.  Read the signs and notice the diversity in the town's population.

DSC_4048.thumb.jpg.c903aaf9d348c19027e8083612273747.jpg

DSC_4049.thumb.jpg.4333cae54ea3f9d4a44ce3b2b7c7add5.jpg

DSC_4050.thumb.jpg.2b28fc958b86aceab67b88178654cc0a.jpg

DSC_4051.thumb.jpg.d5b093f99d6ad63895a331c69c0bc00d.jpg

DSC_4052.thumb.jpg.98216f3e83255f6702d291718a8c1761.jpg

DSC_4053.thumb.jpg.0ae5674f131baead685f6f89dd59a9ca.jpg

DSC_4055.thumb.jpg.0ae69a2b662ea7ef9bff061aa3a90c19.jpg

The burro population is descended from burros abandoned on the desert by miners in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  The roam feral here and, like dogs, have learned how to survive around humans.  The town clings to a version of history that Clark Gable and Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon night in the Oatman Hotel.  Most Clark Gable historians say this is not true.

There is a bit of movie history in the town.  See the caption on the run-down building.

DSC_4046.thumb.jpg.96f160ced2c204630d358e89f844a504.jpg

We have crossed into California today and have discovered that a good portion of the old road Route 66 has been closed in 3 locations due to bridge washouts.  We are in a motel for the night and planning our route in and around these road closures.  The Buick is running great.

Dan

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Nice!  Has the Buick kept running the same temp through this section?

I was just looking at the maps and was wondering if you are going to stay on 66 and the National trails Highway through the desert? 

John, I have not had a bit of trouble with the engine temperature.  I show a slight increase on long hills but on the more level portions of highway, she holds a steady temperature for the 180* thermostat installed.

Yes, we are on the National Trails Highway across the desert, but as you will see in my last post, Route 66 has been cut in three locations by bridge washouts in last year's storms.  This is probably expected but the disappointment is that the governmental authority responsible for repairing the bridges and road surfaces has not set a time for completion and repairs could drag on for years.

Dan

• Like 1

Yet again green with envy (no pun intended). Your pics and story enrich the lives of those looking more than you may know.

Liked this pic with photo of Clint - Josey Wales on wall. Have same in our bathroom at home!

DSC_3980_thumb_jpg_52437e96a78cfa1ac7742d7550762de6.jpg

• Like 1

We spent the night in Ludlow, CA last night.  This is right on old Route 66.  You go to the Chevron gas station and check in to get a room at the motel across the street. This probably sounds really seedy but, in reality, this place is highly recommended by a number of Route 66 authors.  We found it to be exactly as described.  A clean, nice room and inexpensive.  AND, the food in the cafe was very good.

DSC_4062.thumb.jpg.436e8337b898829dc9bb81f76d991bd8.jpg

This photo depicts the character of the land we were driving through.  Mohave desert.  This country is rather sparse in vegetation but some of the Mohave is rich with yuccas and large Joshua trees.

DSC_4063.thumb.jpg.58fba5aedb35243c356c5daae54ce70e.jpg

The road surface of Route 66 for about 27 miles west of Ludlow is in bad shape so we stayed on I-40 until we got to the area of Newberry Springs.  We had to stop at the Bagdad Cafe, which is right on old Route 66.  I saw the movie "Bagdad Cafe" filmed here at this very location.  After watching it once, I said to myself, "Huh?" and watched it again.  Jack Palance was in it and as I recall it was produced by a German film company.  Even the old Airstream trailer Palance's character in the movie lived in is still here.  If you've seen the movie and are ever here, by all means, stop in.  The folks that are here now will make you feel like you are in a continuation of the movie.

DSC_4070.thumb.jpg.b667c23793b85e3ee3d38d5d439aa582.jpg

DSC_4068.thumb.jpg.ac5c7f9a78d430e6777d2d86680ce4a8.jpg

DSC_4074.thumb.jpg.8390ec76f9111923396d057a143b9205.jpg

DSC_4075.thumb.jpg.e73fd912d06ee6454274d40217f20eb8.jpg

A little west of Bagdad Cafe, we stopped in Dagget to patronize this quaint old market, owned and operated for 17 years by a real nice guy.  We bought soft drinks here.

DSC_4084.thumb.jpg.2d97d4c95e2b87ca5bb27d7a1ea7f238.jpg

In Barstow, we stopped at the Barstow Route 66 Museum, which is located inside the Casa del Desierto - an old Harvey House and train depot.  The building is stunning and it has been renovated.  It houses a number of organizations now and Amtrak still picks up passengers here.

DSC_4087.thumb.jpg.2ced7026cafc5f6b6524dda005d33968.jpg

DSC_4089.thumb.jpg.51b97e05510c618344fe2ef2b9256ef2.jpg

DSC_4090.thumb.jpg.411a61045a12b0e2dd9ab56f8681b647.jpg

DSC_4091.thumb.jpg.c88802732de65c961fe08e02b43dafdb.jpg

The track-side of Casa del Desierto...

DSC_4095.thumb.jpg.9178b65c4958e9cd5d3a685cd2e70689.jpg

DSC_4098.thumb.jpg.24c11b6b1d732b19066e1c2962b9415e.jpg

Leaving Barstow, we were on old Route 66 to Victorville.  At Victorville, we had to get on I-15 for a few miles because old road Route 66 lies under those traffic lanes. But not far south, you exit I-15 and good, old Route 66 re-appears in all her old glory.  In this picture, I'm parked on the old north-bound lanes of Route 66.  The old south-bound lanes carry traffic today, one lane in each direction.  I-15 is up the hill to the left in this photo.  While we were parked here, a CHP officer stopped by to admire the Buick.

DSC_4102.thumb.jpg.b5b76e9372efdd200456b2aa1ed83850.jpg

Continuing on, we arrived at our destination for today - the other Wigwam Motel that is still in existance.  It is located in Rialto, CA right on old Route 66 and we are spending the night here. Here are a few photos of these Wigwams.  This place has been very well maintained and has been updated in ways that the Wigwams in Holbrook have not.

DSC_4113.thumb.jpg.49cea559ade4a45ad39876569db1e8ef.jpg

DSC_4112.thumb.jpg.0de2347ac63cef7cead00c5724bcce99.jpg

DSC_4117.thumb.jpg.10c8447029d082292a3367b3cacfecb1.jpg

DSC_4118.thumb.jpg.ce1b31a1596e64108118fca2f520e83f.jpg

The owner of these Wigwams is a very nice guy, just like the folks in Holbrook.  I was out taking a few photos of the Wigwams and he came out to talk with me.  While we were talking, he told me to get the Buick and put it on top of a grassy little hill that is central to the property.  He said he likes to do this for folks driving classic cars because it makes a good photo stage.  He sure was right.  Look at these photos of the Buick...

DSC_4122.thumb.jpg.d9de718c3e335c16cc9ee7bc79869956.jpg

DSC_4123.thumb.jpg.97e7530d0b7b61ce7e0285bb188231f5.jpg

DSC_4126.thumb.jpg.6c8f6c7cb92437e359d4b6f04ba0ef09.jpg

DSC_4127.thumb.jpg.78799b8287a6c3809ec16ec7ef58aef6.jpg

If you ever drive out here in California on Route 66, be sure to stop here at the Wigwams in Rialto.  You will not be sorry.

The Buick continues to run fine.  Tomorrow we make the final push to Santa Monica.  We are thinking about getting up very early because the remaining 70 or so miles are all on Los Angeles area surface streets which used to be Route 66.  If we can sneak into Santa Monica around sunrise, like we did in Chicago, maybe we will get lucky and have some better photo opportunities not to mention less traffic.

Dan

• Like 6