Road Trip - Route 66

49_buick_super

10 hours ago, old-tank said:

This may not help you on this trip...

Vapor lock occurs on the suction side of a fuel pump; any pump will push gasoline and vapor.

Wrapping lines, clothes pins, diesel are all useless.

The only effective solution is an electric fuel pump mounted very near the tank.

Winter blend fuel with more butane (more volatile and more prone to vapor lock) has been phased in since September 15.

Thank you, sir.  I have done a bit more study since yesterday and learned exactly what you report here.  My electric pump is too far forward of the tank to help.  My aluminum foil wrap on my lines and on my head has been removed.  

• Like 1

The end of day 24 found us back in Tucumcari, NM staying again at the Blue Swallow Motel.  Kevin and Nancy are now displaying another classic car on the drive.  It is a 1957 Hudson Hornet.  It's a beautiful survivor that has spent its life in Tucumcari.  Kevin told me that Hudson made only 128 of these 3-tone cars.  

DSC_3476.jpg

DSC_3477.jpg

DSC_3478.jpg

We stayed in a different room this time and the garage had an "Easy Rider" themed mural.

DSC_3479.jpg

Day 25 found us on the road, worried about more dates with Ms. Vapor Lock.  I am happy to say that we passed the entire day without seeing her once.  We were also traveling in much cooler temperatures today but there was a brutal head wind all day long.  Nothing intermitent, just a steady, hard headwind.

In Santa Rosa, we stopped and had a meal at this Route 66 eatery.  A real gem outside and in.  Good food, too.

DSC_3482.jpg

IMG_2101.JPG

We passed a milestone today on Route 66 just as we were entering the east side of Moriarty, NM.

DSC_3483.jpg

Here's the spot where it happened.  (Meaningless if you weren't there, I guess...)

DSC_3485.jpg

We passed through Albuquerque today on Central Avenue which is Route 66 through the city.  Albuquerque is in the process of shooting itself in the foot with a mass transportation project that is going to rip up Central Avenue right down the middle for a bus rapid transit route.  The construction has just begun and Central Avenue is a mess.  The businesses along Central Avenue are primarily Route 66 themed and they complained bitterly to oppose the project but to no avail.  Somehow this bus rapid transit project is going to improve the Route 66 experience in Albuquerque in the minds of the politicians that brewed it up.  I feel sorry for the local business people.  They are going to suffer.

Leaving Albuquerque on the west side you pass the west Route 66 gateway.

DSC_3487.jpg

Leaving Albuquerque at the top of what's known as Nine Mile Hill, this is the view west...

DSC_3488.jpg

Traveling west out of Albuquerque you have to cross the Rio Puerco (Pig River).  Here is the original bridge constructed in 1933 that took all Route 66 traffic over the Rio Puerco until Interstate 40 bridges were constructed.

DSC_3490.jpg

DSC_3491.jpg

The scenery in New Mexico turns decidedly western in appearance, leaving the high plains of the Texas Panhandle behind and entering an area of mesas and arroyos.  West of Albuquerque the Navajo sandstone cliffs begin to appear and add an increased sense of southwestern US geography.  Here, Interstate 40 cuts through some sandstone cliffs while Route 66 takes the easier path around the obstacles.

DSC_3498.jpg

Near Laguna, some of the best Route 66 roadway is to be found.  Here's a view from Route 66 approaching "Deadman's Curve" near Laguna.

DSC_3500.jpg

Near San Fidel, there's an old Whiting Bros sign that is slowly fading away.  The station is gone.

DSC_3502.jpg

Approaching Grants from the east on Route 66 we passed a large boneyard that had a lot of cars that were attracting my attention.  All of the sudden, I see this...

DSC_3505.jpg?

Route 66 Junkyard and Brewery.  I swear it.  A junkyard and brewery together.  Does it get any better than that?  Google that business name if you don't believe me.  The writing on the hood reads, "54 $1,000  Complete"

Moving into the town itself, we could not pass up this photo opportunity.

DSC_3506.jpg

The Buick ran perfectly today against some very strong headwinds.  It would seem that we are traveling into cooler weather and that should help us.  There is pure gas available in New Mexico but we'd have to travel far off route to access it.

Livin' the dream.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

Thank you, sir.  I have done a bit more study since yesterday and learned exactly what you report here.  My electric pump is too far forward of the tank to help.  My aluminum foil wrap on my lines and on my head has been removed.  

Your not afraid of Alien's taking over your thoughts and mind ?  Everyone needs a Aluminum foil (or tin foil) hat on these days. If nothing more then to avoid the election garbage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

Route 66 Junkyard and Brewery.  I swear it.  A junkyard and brewery together.  Does it get any better than that?  Google that business name if you don't believe me.  The writing on the hood reads, "54 $1,000  Complete"

oh my, a Midwest rust free fitty fo... Just told Rita I was going to get a beer, she wanted to know how many beers I was goin for that I needed a trailer. I think she's got my number.....

Dan did you notice if it was a Roadmaster or Super? I think I'm seeing a fourth ventiports but bot sure. Air conditioning? A lot of the western cars were. Going to Google now. 

Continued Happy Trails to you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

oh my, a Midwest rust free fitty fo... Just told Rita I was going to get a beer, she wanted to know how many beers I was goin for that I needed a trailer. I think she's got my number.....

Dan did you notice if it was a Roadmaster or Super? I think I'm seeing a fourth ventiports but bot sure. Air conditioning? A lot of the western cars were. Going to Google now. 

Continued Happy Trails to you! 

I did not notice but I'm still close enough this morning that I'll swing back by and take a look.

Dan

Cool, and pictures would be fantastic (you may not want to clutter your thread though). One thing I've noticed, y'alls only schedule seems to be "no" schedule? That has got to be a great feeling.

Dan would you mind sharing with us the range of costs of the motels y'all have been staying at. And if I'm not prying too much, a ball park of what this trip is costing, as I am sure there are others beside me who are beginning to seriously consider such a trip in the future.

• Like 5

Yea JD, I got to my computer and see that now. Along with a busted grill (only one side though), broken hood ornament, , missing bumper guard, cracked windshield and what appears to be a tree branch in the windshield. But boy oh boy, look at that pit free pot metal. Appears to have had fog lights at one time, and Smitty, check out that built in visor you love so much. If it is complete as noted and includes engine with breather and possibly plug covers, very much worth the asking. And if it has an original jack :o.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

I did not notice but I'm still close enough this morning that I'll swing back by and take a look.

Dan

Here's a few more photos of the '54.  Cracked windshield, 4-holer, 4-dr, front wheels off but I think they are leaning against the driver's side of the car.  They weren't open when I was there or I would have stopped in and asked questions.

Dan

DSC_3508.jpg

DSC_3509.jpg

DSC_3510.jpg

DSC_3511.jpg

DSC_3512.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Cool, and pictures would be fantastic (you may not want to clutter your thread though). One thing I've noticed, y'alls only schedule seems to be "no" schedule? That has got to be a great feeling.

Dan would you mind sharing with us the range of costs of the motels y'all have been staying at. And if I'm not prying too much, a ball park of what this trip is costing, as I am sure there are others beside me who are beginning to seriously consider such a trip in the future.

We are paying an average of 70.00 per night.  We've been as high as $96.00 and as low as $55.00.  Since this is a Route 66 trip, we seek out and patronize places on old Route 66 that are well kept and clean.  We have yet to be disappointed in any of our choices.  Gas has been reasonable, averaging around 2.059/gallon.  When we finish up, I'll post our costs so anyone interested can get an idea of what to expect.

We've been planning this trip for many years and one of the first trip rules was NO TIME SCHEDULE.  People ask us when we plan on being home and we say, "When we get there."

Dan

• Like 4

We spent last night in Grants, NM in a nice room at a Travelodge.  Woke up this morning to a 40-degree temperature.  The morning and most all the day were spent driving in cool temperatures.  I've had no visits from Ms. Vapor Lock today.  

Route 66 driving in this part of New Mexico is beautiful.

DSC_3513.jpg

DSC_3522.jpg.

You can get a sense of how the creative talent for the "Cars" movie came up with the idea for those cliffs that looked like fenders, radiators, and car fronts.

Around midday, we crossed back into our home state - Arizona.  Here is a photo view from about one mile east of the Arizona/New Mexico border on the actual Route 66 roadway.  Notice that it has just been re-surfaced.

DSC_3526.jpg

And from the rest area at the border...

DSC_3528.jpg

On the way west, we stopped at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest NP.  We had lunch at the visitor center and then made the big loop through the Painted Desert and then on through the Petrified Forest.  I think that loop is about 27 miles. 

DSC_3529.jpg

DSC_3531.jpg

DSC_3532.jpg

DSC_3533.jpg

DSC_3534.jpg

We've finished up the day in Winslow.  We were hoping to stay at the La Posada but that place gets booked solid by people that know this is their destination for that day a long time in advance.  We can't plan out that far being the wandering roadies that we are so we got skunked.

My brake pedal is down and it is time to find a shop that will adjust my rear brakes.  Maybe I'll find something here in Winslow tomorrow before we leave town.

The Buick is running fine and we will be in California on Thursday.

Dan

• Like 5

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 8:03 AM, MrEarl said:

And if it has an original jack :o.......

How much are these Jacks worth? I have two. ...

This is a dream of mine to someday go on a big road trip with my Buick. I'm really glad this thread exists because it shows me just how much of the US I still have yet to see. Thank you! 

• Like 2

We spent last night in Winslow, AZ.  The first order of business this morning was to find a local auto repair shop that could lift the Buick and adjust the rear drum brakes.  When we got into the car and I depressed the brake, I was pretty surprised when it went full travel.  Hmmm.  I still had brakes but nothing sufficient for safe highway travel.

I left the hotel and started searching about Winslow for a shop to help out.

Along the way, we passed by a popular Route 66 spot in Winslow - the "Standin' On A Corner Park".  It takes it's theme from the Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey song, "Take It Easy," performed by the Eagles.  Frankly, the song has nothing to do with Route 66 but when you are a busted flat town and searching for anything to draw tourism dollars, something like this is an attempt to get people to stop and maybe spend a few bucks.  So Winslow, the song and Route 66 have been linked in a manner that again shows how Route 66 still manages to create attractions even in these days long after it was formally decommissioned as a federal highway.  A few photos...

The park...

DSC_3536.jpg

The mythical man, "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona..."

DSC_3537.jpg

A statue of the late Glenn Frey who was a co-author of the song.  This statue was just placed and dedicated on September 29, 2016.

DSC_3538.jpg

DSC_3539.jpg

Sorry for the dark photos but the sun angle just didn't favor good photos while I was there.

After seeing the park, we searched everywhere for a garage to give us a hand.  Frankly, we were disappointed because we were turned away at everyplace we stopped.  The excuses were weak and I'm not going to bash anyone here.  After exhausting all our possibilities in Winslow, it was time for the tow truck ride to Flagstaff, 54 miles west, to seek help with the brakes.

And so we loaded her up for the ride.

IMG_2109.JPG

In Flagstaff, we were rejected by what was alleged to be one of the best AAA shops in the city because they didn't want to work on an older car.  Dang.

But we found a friend at a local Brake Master shop.  We got right in and at the conclusion of the examination and work this is what they reported:

1.  There is no damage to your brake system.  It is intact with no leaks.

2.  The disk brake pads and rear drum brakes are in good shape.

3.  We bled the brake system and adjusted the rear brakes.

4.  You still have little brake function.

5.  We believe the master cylinder is defective and is internally bypassing.

6.  We have no idea what to order to replace the master cylinder.

I have a dual chamber master cylinder on the car along with Wilwood disc brakes.  I haven't a clue what the part number is for that master cylinder and we did not want to have a repeat of our "Seven Days in Amarillo."

I tested the car's brakes on side streets around the shop.  I have brakes but probably only on the front discs or the rear drums.  Nothing sufficient to stop the car safely at even moderate speeds.

It was decision time and we decided to end the trip here in Flagstaff, which is 140 miles from home in Phoenix.  I called AAA and got my 200-mile tow on my premiere card.

So, we loaded her up again in Flagstaff...

IMG_2113.JPG

We are back in Phoenix as of 8:00 p.m. on 10/5/2016.  We didn't achieve our goal of making it to the other end of Route 66 in Santa Monica but we are resolute in our desire to finish the trip in April 2017 at the start of the new Route 66 travel season.  So, for now, I'll conclude the daily travel posts.  We were asked about trip costs and I'll post those soon after I total up the costs.  I'll post the mileage figures, too.

I was carrying a virtual spare parts store in my trunk and in the end, the three parts I needed were parts I didn't have:  a spare fan, a spare radiator and a spare brake master cylinder.  I wish I had thought about the master cylinder as a critical spare part but the radiator and fan just isn't something that I would have considered in any analysis.

Thanks for riding along.  We've enjoyed the company.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I think carrying a spare master cylinder in the trunk is a bit much. Even with modern cars, you don't carry alternators/masters/etc around with you. Would probably be more efficient to carry part #s on you instead, as something like an aftermarket master cylinder could be picked up from over the counter parts dealers. I tried discs for a bit, and the availability of upgrading to an OEM system was refreshing compared to the stock system. In the end the stock system won out the aftermarket kits (ran into pedal ratio issues, otherwise discs are superior to drums in a magnitude of ways for daily drivers such as availability, ease of access, better heat transfer, etc). I'm sure you have nothing to worry about with the Wilwood brakes, but you can't get replacement parts over the counter when you need them. Perhaps once you get the car back to the garage, look up your bore diameter of your MC and then find an OEM over the counter replacement or similar part number so you have a backup plan next time the master decides to puke out.

Also please don't tell me you were sold on dual chamber master cylinders being superior to single chamber master cylinders because if one line goes out you still have brakes... :P

Wise decision to end the trip and not risk running it without a properly working brake system. At least you were close enough to home to get the AAA tow. Despite not finishing the trip as planned I'm sure you are happy to be home and sleeping in own bed after being on the road for nearly 4 weeks. It had to be wearing on you a bit despite the wonderful nature of the trip.

Thank you so much for the photo documentation and excellent narrative. Made for very interesting reading during the last month and gave all us stuck at home and work something to dream about.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

Wise decision to end the trip and not risk running it without a properly working brake system. At least you were close enough to home to get the AAA tow. Despite not finishing the trip as planned I'm sure you are happy to be home and sleeping in own bed after being on the road for nearly 4 weeks. It had to be wearing on you a bit despite the wonderful nature of the trip.

Thank you so much for the photo documentation and excellent narrative. Made for very interesting reading during the last month and gave all us stuck at home and work something to dream about.

x 10!

What a trip!  Sorry to hear about the brake issue, but all in all it sounds like it was a great trip,  As you say, there's always next year!  ;)

• Like 2

Sorry that you had to end my vicarious daily trip across America so early. I'll be eagerly awaiting the conclusion next spring.  Good choice on taking the trip home the safe way.  

Thanks again for all the photos and narrative.  Makes me want to put a new item on my bucket list.

I live in the Kansas City area (Shawnee, KS) and my wife and I spent a Capital 4th in D.C. this past summer.  The hotel in which we were staying was right on U.S. Hwy 50 in D.C.  I looked and read up a bit and almost took 50 all the way home but I had some time constraints.  I found out in my reading that there's a group who is trying to do the same to 50 Hwy that has been done to 66.  50 goes from coast to coast from Ocean City, Maryland to Sacramento, CA.  Parts of it are on the old Lincoln Highway.  Not nearly the hoop-lah of Route 66 but you'd still get a chance to see a lot of Americana.

Thanks again for sharing with everyone.

Ed

• Like 5

I drove some of the Lincoln Highway through PA this summer.  It has some charm, not like Route 66, but in Central PA to Pittsburgh, there are some notable attractions and remnants of the American highway western expansion era.  The biggest attraction however, is the Flight 93 Memorial, whose entrance is on the Lincoln Highway.  Sure that is not part of the nostalgia or reason we love these roads, but it's a must see for any American.  Very powerful place.

I want to do Route 66 again-headed west this time, among many other trips.  I'll stop now at the risk of getting too far off topic of this outstanding thread that our friend Dan so wonderfully created.

• Like 1

Thank you for the ride so far , Dan. We all enjoyed it very much , and hope to join you next year ! As you know , April will be a better time for driving in the Southwest. Cooler , and much better scenery due to lack of smoke from the fires. Oh , speaking of smoke : this pic is offered as "misery loves company" consolation. Came out of Jocko's in Nipomo , just north of Santa Maria , CA. Late. Tired. Well fed , off to motel past my bedtime. Lights on for instrument panel , pump fuel pressure , prime , ignition on , push starter. LIGHTS DIM , (WHAT ?!!! WHATS THIS ?!!!) , NO CRANKING , SMOKE COMES OUT OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT , GRAB EXTINGUISHER , SHUT OFF MASTER SWITCH , RUN TO OPEN HOOD !!!!!!! -------- and --------- no smoke ! ENORMOUS relief ! Just a whole load of adrenaline waking me up. No smoke. After a long day : Tripple A ! I didn't want to deal with it in the dark and do something typically stupid. Too bad because it was simple enough. Light of day revealed lug on the hot lead to the coil was slightly bent and barely shorted ! But this directly led to resolving the poor running which had been plaguing me. Coil wires were reversed ! That fix made the old thing drive like a Cadillac again ! Oh what joy ! Unlike my somewhat embarrassed self , you must be feeling rather thankful that circumstances and logistics gave you this smart option. You will be fresh and rested for the 2nd leg. Now you will be able to make it an even more leisurely trip. Hmmmmmmm , yeah , right ! Yeah , you have just completed the "shakedown cruise". All systems : Go ! 

Many more tens of thousands of highway and byway miles to you two !  - Your grateful road running forum friend , C Carl  

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I was asked both here on the Forum and privately in emails about the trip costs.

We were on the road for a total of 29 days with 7 of those days spent in Amarillo attending to the "Radiator Springs Leak" affair.  So, for 22 Route 66 travel days with the Amarillo costs subtracted out, here are the figures:

Total mileage traveled:  3,895 miles with an average of 177 miles/day

Fuel:  $664.52 with an average of $30.20/day

Food: $675.63 with an average of $30.71/day

Lodging:  $1,394.37 with an average of $63.38/day

Other:  $600.56 with an average of $27.30 day  (This was for things like admissions, donations, post cards, tee shirts, a couple of art prints from Jerry McClanhan, etc...)

Tips: $150.00 trip total

Average daily cost:  $158.41

If you really want an accountant's bottom line, the trip cost $0.89 per mile.  ;)

Dan

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 49_buick_super said:

I was asked both here on the Forum and privately in emails about the trip costs.

We were on the road for a total of 29 days with 7 of those days spent in Amarillo attending to the "Radiator Springs Leak" affair.  So, for 22 Route 66 travel days with the Amarillo costs subtracted out, here are the figures:

Other:  $600.56 with an average of $27.30 day  (This was for things like admissions, donations, post cards, tee shirts, a couple of art prints from Jerry McClanhan, etc...)

If you really want an accountant's bottom line, the trip cost $0.89 per mile.  ;)

Dan

Where else in the world could you have so much fun for this kind of money.  Disney World and all of the other theme parks would have cost you a way lot more once you included travel, meals, and lodging into that daily cost.  Plus those parks are a one and done thing.  Here you are able to share your adventures with others who share the dream.  Plus you had an opportunity to do so much more and meet so many interesting people.  WOW, what a ride!!!

Ed

(My hotel bill alone in D.C. was at least what you spent for your daily average.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49_buick_super said:

Dan

You forgot something Dan

The Experience...............................................Priceless

I really can't add much to what others have already said above. Just that I can appreciate the time you devoted each day to sorting through, selecting and resizing pictures, writing and probably editing your narratives and sharing all the experience you had with us here. I could tell everyone was looking forward to the next daily installment and shared the ups and downs you two were going through with the sites you were seeing, the people you were meeting and the challenges the ol '49 presented to you a couple of times. And I just know that somewhere back in Amarillo there is an Armadillo with a gash in its shell wondering what the hell was that big green thing that just went over him. And a personal thanks for turning around and going back and taking and sharing pictures of that old 54. I bet the 49 felt sorry for her back behind that fence and in her poor state. THANKS Dan !!!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

Hmmm, interesting...  So the Super's appetite was virtually the same as its owner's!  ^_^

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

You forgot something Dan

The Experience...............................................Priceless

My gosh, yes.  How could I leave that out.  You are so right.  We had planned this trip for quite a few years and the actual experience was exactly that - priceless.

AND, don't forget, we ain't down and out.  The final leg will be finished in April 2017.  Not as lengthy as this leg of the journey but another 1,000 miles from Flagstaff to Santa Monica and back to Flagstaff.  Stay tuned.

Dan

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

LMAO!!

Now you've got me thinking...

What was the ratio between MPG and calories/day...  :lol:

Lets keep in mind that the food portion should be for two, at least I presume so. B)

• Like 3

So totaling that in my head, that comes to about $3,500. That's pretty good. My problem...Rita would probably spend that on shopping for clothes for the trip. :wacko:<_<

I think you mentioned the "season" ending at one of your stops and I was surprised at that. I always figured on traveling in the month of October myself. What is the typical "season" dates for most of the route?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

LMAO!!

Now you've got me thinking...

What was the ratio between MPG and calories/day...  :lol:

Yes, I had the same thought but -- I didn't want to point out that I think the Buick did a lot more work for it's daily ration!  But then again, there's LOTS more energy in a gallon of gasoline than there is in a Chicken-Fried Steak!  :P

1 gallon of gasoline = 31,500 food calories   http://home.dejazzd.com/kgard/bcn/calories_in_gallon.html

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

...I think you mentioned the "season" ending at one of your stops and I was surprised at that. I always figured on traveling in the month of October myself. What is the typical "season" dates for most of the route?

The Route 66 season opens in April of each year and winds down around October 1st to the 15th.  The winter months see too few Route 66 travelers for the attractions to remain open.  During our trip while talking with these business owners, I was intrigued to learn that they actually communicate with each other in an informal pipeline along the route. The western business owners check with those in the east to see what bus tours are coming their way as well as estimates on individuals like ourselves.  The majority of travelers start in Chicago and finish in Santa Monica.  They use this to gauge how long they should remain open.  It seems like they have fine-tuned their system over the years.

Having studied this for a number of years before we actually started our trip, I learned that there are higher risks of thunderstorms and hail in the mid-west during April and May. June, July and August are too hot and humid, especially if you are doing it like we did with a car without a/c.  In my estimation, the ideal time for a Route 66 trip is the 2nd through 4th week in September and the first week in October.  I admit that my preference has a large subjective component to it but it is also based on what I have learned about travel patterns, weather and availability of Route 66 attractions over the several years of planning prior to our adventure.

We will finish this trip in April next year but we will start substantially in the west and continue west into California.  The weather and attraction availability will be in our favor for that start time and we will not risk exposure to thunderstorms and hail in the mid-west.

Dan

• Like 5

We battled a dust storm in the desert between Barstow and  Amboy during the first week of August.  The best part was the that we were on Route 66 because they completely shut down the interstate for a few hours.  We drove on slowly past everyone as we parallelled the stopped traffic.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 2