Road Trip - Route 66

49_buick_super

My long time friend, Brian Laurance, has shared your epic journey with me and what fun to follow you across the country.  I meant to add a note before your trip back west as my Aunt and Uncle owned and operated the Sunset Drive In Theatre on US 66 @ Illinois 138 outside of Mt. Olive, Illinois (between Litchfield and Staunton).  The drive in opened in either 1950 or 1951 and closed in 1974 with the opening of I-55.  Uncle Lou also built a motel and a café at the same location and I believe those may still be in operation.  All that remains of the drive in are the concrete bases for the screen and located behind the restaurant.  I spent many a wonderful summer visiting Aunt Edna and Uncle Louie and the drive-in was a big part of it.  Two lanes of 66 still existed between Staunton and Litchfield the last time we were there a few years ago.  Originally, all four lanes were kept in operation but the northbound side was later closed.  The original 66 went through Staunton for a few years.

May you continue to enjoy your journey safely and with good weather.  It has been fun riding along with you.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Centurion said:

I have been thoroughly enjoying this account, and have shared the link with some friends, including Gary Klecka, BCA #1955.  Gary has driven his all-original '49 Super coast-to-coast attending Buick National Meets during the last few years, and, last Friday, he e-mailed me this image of his '49 Super at the same restored Texaco station in Dwight, Illinois.

Rt66IllinoisGasStation'49.JPG

Illinois Rt 66.JPG

If someone could join the two   ++++

Ben

We spent the night in Springfield, IL in accommodations that were comfortable but have no significance to Route 66.

Our first stop of the day was in Litchfield, IL at the Ariston Cafe.  This business was started in 1924 in Carlinville but moved to its present location on Route 66 in 1935.  It is a popular spot on Route 66 and we would have been happy to dine here but they are closed on Monday and Tuesday - today is Tuesday.  Darn.

DSC_3115.jpg

Next, we stopped in Mt. Olive to visit the late Henry Soulsby's gas station.  He stopped pumping gas in 1991 and closed the station in 1993 but kept it open as a Route 66 landmark and visitor's center, greeting and entertaining Route 66 travelers until his death in 1999.  The station remains very popular with Route 66 travelers and for me, another perfect opportunity to time warp the Buick at an old gas station.

DSC_3130.jpg

Notice the lift ramps.  The history sheet for the station says that this is where is did all his repair work and lubrication service on these ramps.  A good sized tree has grown up between the ramps but it they add to the charm of this historical spot on Route 66.

DSC_3134.jpg

On our way to Chicago we passed by Henry's Rabbit Ranch but vowed not to miss it on our way west.  Located in Staunton, IL and owned by Rich Henry, it has a lot to offer the Route 66 traveler.  Rich decided to open this location as a visitor center on Route 66 after he made is own Route 66 trip in 1993 and concluded there were not enough of these places.  So what's here?  He has recreated an old service station here and the name of the place, "Henry's Rabbit Ranch" is a play on words on at least two levels.  First, as you will see in the photos, he's taken a number of VW Rabbits and buried them like Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo.  But the real love of his life and his passion are his pet rabbits.  A visit to Henry's Rabbit Ranch is worth it if you come here to see nothing else but the beautiful rabbits.  Rich also has several old motel signs and a collection of old Campbell Trucking "Humpin' To Please" trucks.  Don't miss visiting Rich and the rabbits if you pass this way on your Route 66 adventure.

DSC_3138.jpg

DSC_3136.jpg

DSC_3139.jpg

DSC_3144.jpg

DSC_3135.jpg 

DSC_3146.jpg

Next stop was at the Illinois - Missouri border on the Illinois side at the Chain of Rocks Bridge.  This bridge was constructed in 1929 and closed to traffic in 1970.  During its life it was the passage across the Mississippi River for an alignment of Route 66.  It is famous for being NARROW and its 22-degree bend in the middle.  The bridge languished in abandonment through the 80's and 90's but it has since been rehabilitated as a pedestrian and bicycle route.  

DSC_3148.jpg

DSC_3154.jpg

Leaving the Chain of Rocks Bridge, our next travel was to cross the metropolitan area of St. Louis and do so on a preferred alignment of Route 66. Nothing about driving around St. Louis on Interstate highways or through St. Louis on surface streets is easy.  We have not yet finished the entire trip yet but it is my report that the traverse of St. Louis for a Route 66 trip is the most challenging part of the trip so far.  To remain true to traveling on Route 66 alignments through the city you cannot avoid driving on short segments of Interstate 55 and Interstate 44.  Some of the roadway surfaces are not the best.  If you make this trip, allow yourself plenty of time and try to time your passage through St. Louis during a non-peak traffic flow period.  (If that is possible...)

But that being said, St. Louis holds the gem of Ted Drewes Frozen Custard shop on Chippewa Street (Route 66) and a stop here is mandatory.  The Drewes family has been in the frozen custard business since 1930 and the location on Chippewa has been here since 1941.  It is a St. Louis and Route 66 icon.

DSC_3157.jpg

DSC_3158.jpg

DSC_3161.jpg

The Buick continues to run very well.  The weather has cooled significantly and I have not experienced any vapor lock symptoms since we made our approach to St. Louis last week on our way to Chicago.

Continuing west tomorrow.

Dan

Edited by 49_buick_super (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Dan -- Thanks for the continued snippets of Rt 66 history.  The tree growing between those service ramps is the only clue as to how much time has passed.  Glad to hear the Buick is running like clockwork.  So, how many miles traveled thus far?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Dan -- Thanks for the continued snippets of Rt 66 history.  The tree growing between those service ramps is the only clue as to how much time has passed.  Glad to hear the Buick is running like clockwork.  So, how many miles traveled thus far?

2,237 miles as of yesterday and that does not include mileage for 9/27 because I don't have that odometer reading in my notebook yet.  Writing this before we start on 9/28.

The only difference I notice in the performance is a bit of rough idle in the morning on first startup but that always goes away.  I'm attributing it to moisture - a little in the carburetor and maybe a little in the tank, condensing out of the humid air.

Dan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

DSC_3161.jpg

When we bought our Saturn Vue in 2004, we set a goal of dragging it down every inch of Route 66.  We are in the Michigan/Ohio area at least every 2 years (twice this year alone), and we were still in OKC summer of 2004, so we've killed that stretch pretty well.  We were also in St. Louis 3-4 times a year for a while and have explored the haunts in that area fairly often.  Seriously, you could spend a week just soaking in the St. Louis area.  It's amazing how much has been lost/changed in the last 12 years.  I haven't been to Ted Drews since about 2008...

Now the Vue has 280,000 miles on it, and the farthest west on The Mother Road it has been is Albuquerque (it's been farther west, just not on 66).  I'm not sure it's gonna make it to LA, but I'm still contemplating it.

On the other hand, my oldest was 2 when we started in downtown Chicago, and the closest we've been since is I-80 cruising by on our way to Michigan so the other 2 kids have never been.  I'm thinking it's time for a reset.

I'm building an Oldsmobile wagon for my wife, and the goal is to have it at the Oldsmobile Homecoming in Lansing next year.  Seems like a good opportunity to start over and get the younger two up to speed.

• Like 4

Today was our 20th day on the road, which includes the down time in Amarillo during the unfortunate "Radiator Springs" leak.  

We spent the night in Sullivan, MO with the intention on spending the first half of today (9/28) seeing Meramec Caverns.  We were not disappointed.  Meramec Caverns are privately held. When my family first passed through here in May 1964 on the way to Arizona and California, I begged to stop and see them but my parents had a time table and stopping for sight seeing was not on their list.  So I had to wait all this time to come back and see them for myself.

DSC_3184.jpg

DSC_3168.jpg

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_3182.jpg

This Route 66 attraction has been around since the '40s and it is reported they were the first tourist trap to use bumper stickers.

Headed west from Meramec Caverns we passed through Cuba.  Cuba prides itself on murals and there are plenty of them in this town.  We did not go mural hunting but we did see a few and here is one we saw...

DSC_3193.jpg

We also saw this cafe which is housed in a building that has the classic shape of the old Phillips 66 stations.  I may be a restored original or a reproduction but it sure looks good.  My vote is that it is restored.

DSC_3192.jpg

Also in Cuba, we saw the Wagon Wheel Motel with it's attached restored Standard Oil station.  What a treat!  Look at these old cabins and imagine what it would have been like to stay in one of them.  If you're lucky, you still can because everything is restored and this is an open, operating motel, but we just didn't time our passage through here to be able to stay.

DSC_3186.jpg

DSC_3187.jpg

Look at the old lubrication pit over which they've parked the S.O.B. car.  (Some Other Brand  ;))

DSC_3191.jpg

Further down the road in Fanning, MO, we came across the worlds' largest rocking chair.  Yep.  On Route 66 you've got them all.  The worlds largest covered wagon and now the world's largest rocking chair...

DSC_3197.jpg

Accompanying the world's largest rocking chair is this general store with the neat mural...

DSC_3196.jpg

But, sadly, this sign also accompanies the general store and world's largest rocking chair...

DSC_3198.jpg

I read about this on "Route 66 News" a short time ago.  The family that ran this operation has given up because there has not been enough tourist income to keep it open.  I say this is sad and it is but its also a business fact of life.  The reality of Route 66 is that it has been changing and remaking itself for many years.  Hopefully, the attraction of the Mother Road stays alive long enough to captivate the younger generations.

Near St. Roberts, MO is a stretch of Route 66 that fully embodies the reason to bring your Buick out here and drive it with the windows down on a nice day like today.  Look at this beautiful roadway and notice how crowded with big rig trucks and other cars that it is NOT...

DSC_3202.jpg

And not far from this location, you get to drive across bridges like this...

DSC_3206.jpg

Life on the Mother Road is good.  The '49 is runnin' fine.  The weather couldn't be better.

Dan

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Awesome report today Dan!  Are you using a guide book for this trip?  Have you hit sections of Rt 66 that are dead ends? 

Hi, John - 

Yes, we are using an excellent guide book.  This is the best there is:

https://www.amazon.com/Route-66-EZ66-GUIDE-Travelers/dp/0988924617/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475121185&sr=1-1&keywords=ez+guide+route+66

Jerry McClanahan also has a web site where he publishes updates to the guide between editions - http://www.mcjerry66.com/

Yes, there are dead ends, but they are always on really old sections of the highway that are little used or never used and it has been our experience that every one we've seen has been marked "DEAD END" or "NO OUTLET."  There are some "roadies" that love to go out and drive these abandoned sections of roadway.  If you use Jerry's guide, you would never go down a dead end alignment of Route 66.  But the neat thing about his guide is that he shows you where all the other alignments are located in case you want to explore them.  We are doing his recommended tour which includes all the alignments that take you through all the towns rather than any business loops of Route 66 that bypassed towns.

Dan

Oh, I was going to throw out there... When  in Springfield, Missouri we like to stay at the Rail Haven (Best Western). Elvis stayed there in '56; just try to ignore the F*rds out front. 

When we were there for the national meet, there were all kinds of Europeans traveling 66 that couldn't get enough of the '56. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is such an awesome read Dan! Some great writing.

My wife and I are into Abandoned Rural America, which means we drive country roads and trespass into old farm houses, barns, service stations and such. I think we would probably take some of the deadend roads hoping to find some of such, from what you have seen, would that be the case. 

Happy Trails!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

This is such an awesome read Dan! Some great writing.

My wife and I are into Abandoned Rural America, which means we drive country roads and trespass into old farm houses, barns, service stations and such. I think we would probably take some of the deadend roads hoping to find some of such, from what you have seen, would that be the case. 

Happy Trails!

MrEarl,

This is rural American at it's finest.  If stopping and snooping about is what you like to do, you would be out here for a long time.   I found an abandoned gas station that still had fan belts hanging on the wall and inventory remaining on the shelves.  The windows were broken out and the place was just in sad shape but there were boxes of parts still on the shelves.  I've got a blog going for family and friends at www.the1949buick.com where I'm posting a lot more photos than here on the Buick Forum.  You can look at my post there for San Jon to see what I'm describing.

Dan

• Like 1

Last night we stayed again at the Munger Moss Motel in Lebanon, MO.  The Munger Moss is such a Route 66 highlight that we didn't want to miss the opportunity to stay there again and visit with the owner, Ramona Lehman.  She put us in the "Jerry McClanahan" room (#65) which is decorated with Jerry's art.  Jerry is an accomplished Route 66 artist and author of the guide book we are using for this trip.  Ramona has been running the MM since the 70's and she is very great conversationalist.  It's no wonder that people traveling the 66 love her so much.  Here's a photo of her in the Buick, taken just before we left.

DSC_3209.jpg

DSC_3208.jpg

She bid us good bye, telling us she loved us and she knew she would see us again.  Her affection is so genuine that we were teary-eyed from the farewell.

On our way through Halltown, we passed by Gary Turner's Gay Parita station again.  We stopped in and had a nice visit with other Route 66 travelers.  Everyone has an interesting story and the time quickly slips away.  We are glad that we have planned this trip with no time constraints.

DSC_3211.jpg

While I was standing at the Gay Parita, I looked across the street and saw a lawn full of Corvairs.  I was puzzled because I hadn't seen them on the first trip through here.  I went over and introduced myself to a gal who is a co-owner of the Corvairs with her husband.  We chatted a while and then  I wander about their property, photographing the Corvairs.  While I was there I noticed a Buick Roadmaster station wagon hiding behind their garage.  I called out to her husband who was talking with someone else, asking for permission to photograph the Buick.  He said, "Is that a Buick?"   Grrrrrr......  Nice cars are hiding everywhere it seems.

DSC_3225.jpg

DSC_3230.jpg

DSC_3231.jpg

DSC_3232.jpg

Headed west we crossed another neat old bridge just before Spencer...

DSC_3233.jpg

...and just on the other side of the bridge - another time warp gas station.  A real beauty.

DSC_3234.jpg

DSC_3237.jpg

Further west in Carthage, we stopped at the Boots Motel for a few photos.  I was hoping that we would end up here last night.  I would have loved to have stayed in a room at the Boots but it just didn't happen.  The Boots Motel is another of the old motor courts that have garage spaces for most of the rooms.  The motel has just undergone some major renovation and there is new neon all over the building.  I would love to be here at night, but it just isn't going to happen on this trip.

DSC_3245.jpg

DSC_3252.jpg

DSC_3255.jpg

DSC_3254.jpg

A little further down the road we arrived at the Route 66 Drive-In here in Carthage.  This place is a bit of an enigma on Route 66 because the owner, Mark Goodwin, doesn't really consider himself to be a Route 66 landmark.  We talked with Mark and learned that the bulk of his business is local and that Route 66 fame can be a bit of a pain.  Mark is a great guy and we enjoyed talking to him.  He's one of those kind of guys that you know you're going to like as soon as he says hello.  Notice the message on his Drive-In marquee.  

The Drive-In usually sports the signage, "Route 66 Drive-In" on the street side of the screen but the whole screen superstructure has just been painted and the signage is due to go back up soon, so it looks a bit bland.  Google it if you want to see pictures with it present.

DSC_3256.jpg

DSC_3257.jpg

Mark runs a tight ship here.  He has good security and goof-offs are ejected immediately.  He also will not play R-rated movies.  Only the family movies show here and the community has responded with resounding approval of his business model.  Mark said he came within 6 cars of achieving an attendance record in August.

We'd been hearing some vibrations coming from the area where I have my 6-volt fuel pump mounted.  As the day went on they were getting more pronounced so I was looking for a garage where I might stop and take a look.

We crossed over the state line from Missouri into Kansas and entered Galena, then Baxter Springs.  At Baxter Springs, I stopped by their visitor center to photograph the Buick.  It's a nice old restored gas station that's flying a Phillips 66 sign.

DSC_3261.jpg

After taking this picture, I spotted a sign on that building behind and to the right in the picture.  It was flying a sign, "Frank's Transmissions."  I walked over and met Frank Hembree, the proprietor.  I told Frank that I was hearing a vibration and wanted to check it out and asked if he had a few minutes to help me look.  Frank said, "Sure, drive it in."

DSC_3264.jpg

We found that my 6-volt fuel pump had come loose in it's adel clamp.  Not only that, but the fuel line had come loose at a clamp and was vibrating against the frame.  YIKES!  Frank tightened the clamp and grabbed some flexible fuel line and sliced it to insulate the fuel line from further vibration.  I asked Frank what I owed and he said, "Nothing."  I insisted and held out two $20's.  He just shook his head but I insisted and he reached out and took one $20.  These are the kind of people that are out here in these great small towns across America.  We spent quite a bit of time talking with Frank.  He showed us pictures of a bunch of neat old cars he's owned and been involved in restoring.  Frank is a survivor of the May 2011 Joplin tornado.  He was in a room with his wife and a number of other people.  Three people in the room with them died.  He just doesn't know how they survived.  He showed us pictures of the devastation.  It was surreal.  On a more positive note, we talked about hunting and hiking as well as his own children and grandchildren.  What a nice man.  Frank Hembree.  Frank's Transmission Shop in Baxter Springs, KS.  

Leaving Baxter Springs, we crossed the state line from Kansas into Oklahoma.  We passed through Commerce, OK, which is the birthplace of Mickey Mantle.  His childhood home is here but we didn't see it.  On the way out of town, I saw another gas station gem and just had to get a photo.

DSC_3265.jpg

DSC_3266.jpg

Another fine day of travel out here on Route 66.  We're averaging about 12.5 MPG but it drops to around 11.4 if we are pulling a lot of hills.  Looking forward to my wife getting her spare set of Buick keys back tomorrow in Sayre.  ;)

Dan

• Like 5

11 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Is it true that you run across some places going West that somehow you missed going East?  Apparently I need to go West next time!

I don't think so.  You can follow different alignments of Route 66 and miss something that way but if you are using Jerry McClanahan's excellent Route 66 guide, everything is pretty much right there in the narrative and on the maps.  We saw things going east and skipped others because we knew we would see them again coming back west.

Dan

• Like 1

My kinda gas!!

DSC_3350.jpg

We spent the night near Afton, OK and got an early start on the day at about 7:30.

DSC_3269.jpg

We stopped in Vinita, OK to have breakfast at Clantons.  It's recommended in one of the Route 66 Federation's Dining and Lodging guide book not to mention that classic, EAT sign out front. It was funny, though.  This is a small town and everyone in this place knows each other.  When we walked in, it was like one of those western movies where the stranger walks into the bar and the piano music stop, everyone looks at the stranger and then its back to business as usual.  Good food and nice people.

Our next stop was in Catoosa at the Blue Whale.  This Route 66 attraction is a perfect example of how the road is still alive, changing and morphing itself to fit the times and people.  I came right by this place in May 1964 but would never have seen it because it wasn't here then.  This attraction was built in 1970 by a man as an anniversary gift to his wife.  It is right on Route 66 and since then it has taken on its own life as a Route 66 attraction.  This Blue Whale is known internationally.  Nobody swims here anymore.  It is just a private kid's playground that stays open with private donations.

DSC_3278.jpg

DSC_3279.jpg

.Continuing on in Catoosa, we stopped at their Historical Society and took this photo of the Buick with a railroad caboose on the property.  DSC_3291.jpg

The Tulsa Port of Catoosa is situated at the head of navigable waters for the Arkansas River Navigation System, stretching from Catoosa, Oklahoma to the Mississippi River 445-miles away. It travels along the Verdigris, Arkansas and White rivers. Cargo loaded in river barges in Catoosa can be transported via the Port of New Orleans to any seaport in the world, without touching land again.

Continuing west in Tulsa, we came upon the Tulsa Route 66 east gateway.  

DSC_3295.jpg

Near the west end of Route 66 in Tulsa is this giant Meadowgold sign.  These giant signs were once quite common in the U.S. but have for the most part disappeared.  This one was erected here in the 30's but it was taken down in the 70's.  There was sufficient nostalgia for the sign as well as community support and so in 2009 it was restored and put back in place.  I snapped this photo on the fly so it isn't composed very well but you can get a perspective of size.

DSC_3297.jpg

Further west is the Route 66 Station Historical Village which has on display some beautifully restored train cars and an engine.  Also on the sight is a 154-foot tall oil derrick which stands as a tribute to the role of oil in the history of Tulsa.

DSC_3323.jpg

DSC_3324.jpg

DSC_3325.jpg

At the west end of Route 66 in Tulsa, you arrive at the Cyrus Avery Memorial Bridge.  Cyrus Avery is the man credited with being the driving political force in the creation of Route 66 and he is revered by Tulsans for having seen that Route 66 was routed through Tulsa.  Other cities make this same claim about Avery so its hard to sort facts from the shinola.  The National Park Service has been involved in preserving this bridge for future enjoyment.

DSC_3316.jpg

DSC_3317.jpg

There is also another impressive Route 66 gateway spanning the old Mother Road at this location...

DSC_3298.jpg

But the real gem of this location is the huge bronze statues that were created to represent the symbolism of "East Meets West" in terms of the internal combustion engine car and all that went with it and its impact on western life represented by the horse and wagon.  The detail rendered in this work is just fantastic.  There is even a dead grasshopper in the radiator of the car.  Look at the detail along with the facial expressions.  The artist is Robert Summers and the work was unveiled here in 2012.

DSC_3301.jpg

DSC_3302.jpg

Having left Tulsa, our next stop was in Stroud, OK for a look at the Rock Cafe.  The cafe takes its name from the native rock from which it was built in 1936 and opened in 1939.  The cafe has been through numerous owners over the years, damaged by a tornado in 1999 and partially burned in 2008.  The most significant thing about the Rock Cafe to most modern tourists is that its owner, Dawn Welch, was the creative inspiration for the Disney Pixar character, Sally Carrera, in the movie, "Cars."  To those of us who appreciate the history, it is a place that has been serving Route 66 travelers almost continuously since 1939.

DSC_3332.jpg

DSC_3334.jpg

The true highlight of our day was the opportunity to visit and meet Jerry McClanahan at his home and gallery in Chandler, OK.  Jerry is a renowned Route 66 artist, author, photographer, advocate, map maker, and all around great guy.  We were warmly received and had a nice tour of his gallery.  He autographed our guide book that we are using for this trip.  We bought two prints of his work and he signed those for us, too.  He very much liked our Buick.  He took many photos of it and he also posted a photograph of our Buick on his Facebook page that advertises his EZ Route 66 Guidebook.

DSC_3338.jpg

DSC_3343.jpg

One of my all-time favorites of Jerry's work is this photo that depicts a Route 66 trip with a typical family in the 50's.  Two kids in the back seat with mom and dad in the front at the Jack Rabbit Trading Post in Arizona.

DSC_3348.jpg

In Arcadia, we stopped to photograph this huge artistic rendition of a soda pop bottle with straw.  It is located as a gas station and pop factory called, "Pops."  The bottle lights up at night in brilliant colors made by LED's, not neon.  Another new Route 66 attraction that is modern day, never here in the "old days."

DSC_3351.jpg

Some of you have expressed your appreciation for these posts and I want you to know how much fun it is to assemble them and share them with you at the end of each travel day.  It pleases us very much to know that many of you enjoy them.

Our country count is up by one - Poland.  Two men and two women out here headed from Chicago to Santa Monica on Route 66.

The '49 is running fine and we are still out here, getting our kicks on Route 66.

Dan 

• Like 7

On 9/30/2016 at 5:57 AM, EmTee said:

I love this thread and can't wait to see each new log entry!  Thanks again for taking the rest of along on your adventure!  ;)

What EmTee and Mr Earl said !

I've been enjoying the thread, especially while we were driving the Glidden Tour up in New Hampshire and Maine in our 1941 Cadillac convertible - (sorry, but the '37 Roadmaster 80C was resting at home)- 

with a side trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island in our modern tow vehicle only because of some nasty weather 

If VAPOR LOCK returns when you get back to the hotter areas, try something I've used for years:

Add 10% (+/-) Diesel Fuel to your gas tank. It will cause a smoky exhaust, but lowers the octane to where vapor lock disappears, and you will help reduce the mosquito population.

• Like 2

Hi , Marty amd all kerosene "drinkers" out there. Enhanced vapor lock resistance comes not from octane properties , but because the boiling point of kerosene is WAY higher than gasoline. Take a look at the distillation curves. This from "Marks' Mechanical Engineers' Handbook" , 6th Ed. 1958. This is not the first time I have posted these curves. God willing , I expect it will not be the last.

Dan , as long as I am here , I would like to thank you again for the ride. You are a wonderful photojournalist , and very generous for taking the time to share. I spend hours totally absorbed in your wonderful gift to us stirring up memories of long road trips going back to the '40s and '50s with mom and dad. '39 Pont' after the War , (I am very lucky to have/still have a good memory for the earliest years of my life - can't remember what it is I have to do today) , then a brand spanking new '50 Willys Jeep station wagon. Mom pulled the kids out of school in Feb. '52 and we went car camping from Chicago down through the Old South to stay on Sanibel Island , Fla. for a month. No causeway back then , had to take a little ferry. Camped at "Jack's Place". Anyone remember ? '54 through Mexico all the way to Acapulco. Boeing needed my dad , so in '55 drove to our new home , Seattle , by way of Salt Lake and S.F. Great fun floating in the 'Lake ! Road trips ! The passion of my life. Hey Dan , some of your pics are so perfectly framed , with your Bu' and no visual cues that the pic is not ancient , I wonder if they would pass if printed in black and white ? Anyway , I have been on parts of 66 , wishing I could do the whole road. Now it's too late , but I feel in an important way that I am doing it right now with you ! Wonderful !  - Carl

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Today starts Day 23 of the adventure.  Just for any of you numbers types out there, when we started, the odometer was at 06480.  At the start of today's travel, 09489.  That's 3009 miles.

And with that, it was time to get an oil change.  We stayed in El Reno, Oklahoma last night and conveniently, there was a Quick Lube nearly right across the street from the motel.  So, at 9:00 a.m. I was first in line to get the oil changed.  It was a good experience.  I was worried that I was going to have trouble finding a shop that would do an oil change "my way" and by that I mean neatly siphon out the oil from the filter can.  My worries evaporated when I watched them work on my car with the same care I give it myself.  Of course, there was a lot of conversation about the Buick, too, because they just don't get these old cars in for oil changes much anymore.  (I brought my own filter and ZDDP).

The next interesting area we visited was the Pony Bridge near Bridgeport, OK.  This bridge was constructed in 1933 and crosses the South Canadian River.  It is over 3000 feet long and has 38 pony trusses.  This bridge has been a landmark on Route 66 since that time.  The bridge is also seen in the movie, "Grapes of Wrath" when they pull over to bury grandpa after he dies on the journey. 

DSC_3356.jpg

Here's a link to a video we made while crossing the bridge, posted on YouTube:  

Near Hydro, OK, we arrived at another historical spot on Route 66.  This place is known as "Lucille's."  It was a combination small grocery and gas station that was owned by Lucille Hamon from 1941 to 2000.  I've seen videos of interviews with Lucille when she was alive and she always said she made her money from beer sales.  The gas and food was second tier on her books.  This is a place that saw all the heavy war-time traffic on Route 66 during WWII and all the traffic during the pinnacle of Route 66 use during the 50's and 60's before the Interstate cut it off.  It has been restored by a group of interested Route 66 organizations and businesses.

DSC_3357.jpg

DSC_3361.jpg

In Elk City, OK, we stopped at the National Route 66 Museum.  This museum has a Route 66 section that is fairly called generic.  The larger part of what is called the "National Route 66 Museum" is dedicated to the history of Elk City and the immediate area.  This is a fascinating place but as for Route 66, the museum in Clinton, OK is the better choice.  It does have an impressive sign to attract visitors.

DSC_3389.jpg

We did finally return to Sayre, OK and reclaim the set of Buick keys that my wife had been carrying up to the time she donated them to the motel key box many days ago.

But here's a small story that will only happen to you if you are traveling along the back roads of this country, especially Route 66.  About 3 miles east of Sayre, we were traveling on Route 66 approaching Timber Creek Bridge.  As we approached, we could see a man and woman, standing on the bridge, setting up what looked like a camera on a tripod.  As we stopped to talk to them we noticed they were very well dressed.  He was in a jacket and slacks with a tie and she was in a very beautiful dress.  They each had two large yellow roses pinned, he on his jacket, she on her dress.  Here is the story as they told it to us.  Today is their 15th wedding anniversary.  They wanted a special place where they could come and renew their wedding vows to each other and so they chose this bridge, the trusses of which were painted yellow as in the yellow roses adorning his jacket and her dress. As we arrived, he was just finishing setting up the camera to record their special moment.  Try having a moment like this while driving on any of the Super Slabs.  We wished them "happy anniversary" and drove away, beaming with smiles after what we had just seen and heard.

Leaving Sayre, now possessing two sets of Buick keys, we headed for Erick, OK.  We wanted to stop by and see a very popular place on Route 66, known as the Sandhills Curiosity Shop.  Here's a photo before I get into the narrative.

DSC_3390.jpg

For many years, Harley Russell and his late wife, Annabelle, entertained Route 66 travelers with this shop.  This place is an eclectic mix of darn near everything you can think of from signage to a Jack Daniels bottle with about 4 fingers remaining.  This little place attracted busloads of tourists and thousands of cars every year.  Harley and Annabelle had an irreverent comedy shtick along with musical entertainment.  Harley's down home, country style of talking did not escape the observation of Disney Pixar people and Harley's style of talking was the model for the "Cars" movie character, "Tow Mater."  Harley actually spent time with Larry the Cable Guy as a style coach for the Tow Mater character's voice.

Sadly, Annabelle passed away on 9/30/2014.  It was Annabelle's wish that Harley continue with the comedy and music at the shop but most recent reports seemed to indicate that Harley was not as active at the shop.

When we arrived, the shop was closed, but within a minute or two, Harley arrived in his car, jumped out and started our visit with the word's "Take all the pictures you want."  From there, we introduced ourselves and Harley opened his shop and invited us in.  We sat with him for over an hour, talking about Route 66 and his very interesting life with the Sandhills Curiosity Shop where you can see rednecks in their native environment.

Here's a few pictures of the shop...

DSC_3398.jpg

DSC_3399.jpg

Here's a poster made by his late wife, Annabelle, welcoming the Disney Pixar "Imagineers" to their shop.

DSC_3402.jpg

For the occasion, Harley brought out his original Oklahoma Route 66 sign and allowed us to be photographed with it.  Here's my wife holding the sign...

DSC_3403.jpg

Here's a picture of Harley and Annabelle in younger days.

DSC_3407.jpg

Harley and Annabelle called themselves the "Mediocre Music Makers."  Actually, Harley had quite a bit of time in his earlier life as a professional musician.  Harley gave us our own special rendition of "Route 66" with the '49 Buick worked in along with a bit of humor spun in also...

Before we parted company, he posed with the Buick.

DSC_3413.jpg

DSC_3415.jpg

Nowhere else but on Route 66.

We left Erick and headed for the Oklahoma / Texas border.  Just before crossing into Texas on the Oklahoma side, is this historical marker that memorializes the re-dedication of Route 66 as the Will Rogers Highway in June 1952.  There is a short story on the monument if you want to enlarge the photo and read it.

DSC_3427.jpg

We now find ourselves back in the great state of Texas where only a short time ago we were stranded by the "Radiator Springs" leak affair.  The Buick is running fine and we continue to have the time of our lives.

Dan

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JFranklin said:

I second the thought about the motor mounts and look closely to find a spot where it hit to cause the bend, or maybe a crack in the blade or hub. 

Five guys in the shop (owner, service manager, two mechanics and me) looked at the motor mounts and transmission mount / thrust pad and found nothing amiss.  Even stranger, we found no evidence of the fan blade striking anything on the car.  Only one blade was bent.  The road debris theory is still the best I have.  The car has been from Amarillo to Chicago and back now, almost to Amarillo with no issues.  A mystery of life.  

Dan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hi , Marty amd all kerosene "drinkers" out there. Enhanced vapor lock resistance comes not from octane properties , but because the boiling point of kerosene is WAY higher than gasoline. Take a look at the distillation curves. This from "Marks' Mechanical Engineers' Handbook" , 6th Ed. 1958. This is not the first time I have posted these curves. God willing , I expect it will not be the last.

Dan , as long as I am here , I would like to thank you again for the ride. You are a wonderful photojournalist , and very generous for taking the time to share. I spend hours totally absorbed in your wonderful gift to us stirring up memories of long road trips going back to the '40s and '50s with mom and dad. '39 Pont' after the War , (I am very lucky to have/still have a good memory for the earliest years of my life - can't remember what it is I have to do today) , then a brand spanking new '50 Willys Jeep station wagon. Mom pulled the kids out of school in Feb. '52 and we went car camping from Chicago down through the Old South to stay on Sanibel Island , Fla. for a month. No causeway back then , had to take a little ferry. Camped at "Jack's Place". Anyone remember ? '54 through Mexico all the way to Acapulco. Boeing needed my dad , so in '55 drove to our new home , Seattle , by way of Salt Lake and S.F. Great fun floating in the 'Lake ! Road trips ! The passion of my life. Hey Dan , some of your pics are so perfectly framed , with your Bu' and no visual cues that the pic is not ancient , I wonder if they would pass if printed in black and white ? Anyway , I have been on parts of 66 , wishing I could do the whole road. Now it's too late , but I feel in an important way that I am doing it right now with you ! Wonderful !  - Carl

image.jpeg

Thanks for adding to the enjoyment of this thread Carl. 

Dan my kudos again on your great narrative and photos and looks like you have the technique of inserting photos into the text down pat. And I am curious about what you are using to enter all this on and also are the pictures and videos, camera or cellphone. 

However, there is one thing sorely missing from this great journalistic piece. Or maybe I missed it but I don't think so, and that is a picture of You the Mrs. and  the Buick.  Maybe you could oblige us. And also do they have names:D

• Like 2

Perfect for a multi-part series, though...  ;)

Dan,

When you get home, see if you can gather up this thread and all of the photos, put it on a disc or a computer stick, and let's try to put it in the Buick Bugle as a multi-part series, as has been suggested. I could see it running for 6 to 12 months, a couple of pages per month. I won't be able to start this until next year because every page is already spoken for in the next few months, so we have plenty of time.

You have visited a lot of places that I am familiar with, and many that I never realized were there.

I have a '49 Super that is almost a carbon copy of yours, so this is almost like seeing my car in the photos!

Pete Phillips

IMGP1240.JPG

• Like 2

Sunday finds me speculating , theoretically of course , as to the political affiliation of Joshua. ---------------- But I am not sure which of the 4 topics touched on in my well received last posting drew such complimentary friendship. I am sure further appreciation of Dan's work is forthcoming trom us all , so I am safe in reiterating my position in the "Dan Fan Club"!  In case approval was due to the distillation curves , enjoy these : from "Marks..........." , 3rd Ed. , 1930. Read the description and explanation of the dip in fuel volatility which occurred late teens through '20s. Explains the massive heat supplied to carbs and intake of the period necessary to promote proper combustion. That heat now is highly detrimental to proper performance. Therefore , all reasonable (I suppose UNreasonable too , if that is your inclination and ability) , effort to reduce intake temp now , in the light of modern high volatility fuel , will pay dividends in drivability. If you have not done so yet in cars of the period , please consider. If my recently rekindled road reminiscences  have been of some value , let me draw on one or two more later. I enjoy rendering unto The Lord when I am so called. Today , this Sunday , I am drawn to Moses , and his Right Hand Man. When I again return , perhaps inspired , Ephraim may well be a stop on the road.  - Carl

N.B. :  Moderators , please regard the above as secular. No religious or political motivations were intended , nor should they be inferred.  I am simply taking an opportunity to double up on the friends I have made. -  Thank you , CC

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add word "one" to text (see edit history)

Huh ! I just re-read my posting , edited by turning an incomplete phrase into an intelligible "one or two". In the re-reading , came upon an opening for someone far more gifted than myself. "Dan Fan Club" might cleverly incorporate some aspect of the "Amarillo fan incident". I'm not good at puns , but I sure know some of you are. In any case , if this silly conjecture goes no further , I certainly hope Dan WILL !  -  Carl

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrEarl said:

...Dan my kudos again on your great narrative and photos and looks like you have the technique of inserting photos into the text down pat. And I am curious about what you are using to enter all this on and also are the pictures and videos, camera or cellphone. 

However, there is one thing sorely missing from this great journalistic piece. Or maybe I missed it but I don't think so, and that is a picture of You the Mrs. and  the Buick.  Maybe you could oblige us. And also do they have names:D

I am using a Nikon D7100 to shoot the photos.  After I download them to my laptop computer, I use Photoshop Elements 14 to reduce them each to manageable file sizes for uploading to the forum.  Occasionally, I have  used a photo from my iPhone but the vast majority of these photos are shot with the Nikon.

As for the pictures of the wife, the car, and me - I've been trying to spare you all from a photo of me, but since you asked, here are pictures taken on the day we left, which was September 9th.  My wife's name is Lynn.

DSC_2452.jpg

DSC_2453.jpg

The closest we have to a name for the car is, "She."  When anyone asks, my wife is always the one to respond with that name and the reason is because the car has skirts.  

Ok, now we've busted the Internet with these photos, so I guess we've smoked the Forum, too.  :unsure:

5 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Perfect for a multi-part series, though...  ;)

Dan,

When you get home, see if you can gather up this thread and all of the photos, put it on a disc or a computer stick, and let's try to put it in the Buick Bugle as a multi-part series, as has been suggested. I could see it running for 6 to 12 months, a couple of pages per month. I won't be able to start this until next year because every page is already spoken for in the next few months, so we have plenty of time.

You have visited a lot of places that I am familiar with, and many that I never realized were there.

I have a '49 Super that is almost a carbon copy of yours, so this is almost like seeing my car in the photos!

Pete Phillips

IMGP1240.JPG

Wow, Pete, that's a nice '49 Super.  

OK on the Bugle articles.

Dan

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

Huh ! I just re-read my posting , edited by turning an incomplete phrase into an intelligible "one or two". In the re-reading , came upon an opening for someone far more gifted than myself. "Dan Fan Club" might cleverly incorporate some aspect of the "Amarillo fan incident". I'm not good at puns , but I sure know some of you are. In any case , if this silly conjecture goes no further , I certainly hope Dan WILL !  -  Carl

Some folks that met us along the way suggested the incident would best be described as the "Radiator Springs Leak" incident.  Kind of a play on words with the Cars movie town and what really happened.  We kinda liked it and have been using that one.  Another one I liked was, "Seven Days in Amarillo."

Dan

We spent last night in Shamrock, Texas at a really nice Route 66 themed motel with nice murals, very clean, and a very nice room that came with very little hot water.  Life on the road.

When we were in Shamrock last, we visited most of what we wanted to see and included photos here.  The one place we did not stop at on the first pass was the restored Magnolia gas station here in Shamrock.  Another beauty.  I love these old gas stations and they are plentiful here on Route 66.

DSC_3430.jpg

DSC_3432.jpg

Moving west from Shamrock, we stopped in McLean, Texas to see the restored first Phillips 66 station in Texas.  Another real beauty.  This one dates back to 1929.

DSC_3433.jpg

DSC_3438.jpg

DSC_3437.jpg

DSC_3445.jpg

Moving still further west, we stopped in Alanreed, Texas to see the partially restored "66 Super Station."  This one is another gem and it dates to 1930.

DSC_3447.jpg

DSC_3448.jpg

DSC_3453.jpg

We returned to Adrian, Texas and visited the midpoint of Route 66.  The Midpoint Cafe was open and we managed to actually get something to eat this time.  We learned that the owner is closing the kitchen at the end of today for the season, so if you visit the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian after 10/2, you can only expect coffee, soft drinks and pies.  No meals.

DSC_3457.jpg

A picture of me and my boss at the Route 66 midpoint sign.

DSC_3456.jpg

Our final stop of the day was at Glenrio.  If you like ghost towns, Glenrio should be on your list of places to see.  Glenrio is a classic example of a bustling town that evaporated when Interstate 40 bypassed it.  Look at the width of Route 66 as it passes through the town.  I parked right in the center of the roadway.

DSC_3459.jpg

DSC_3460.jpgDSC_3461.jpg

DSC_3464.jpg

DSC_3465.jpg

DSC_3466.jpg

Finally, leaving Glenrio, we had another dance with Ms. Vapor Lock.  I had zero problems with vapor lock symptoms in Oklahoma and states east.  I used pure gas for the most part in Oklahoma and Missouri.  But now I'm back in Texas and the corn alcohol starts up again in the gas and the bitch is back.  Tonight, I've wrapped the gas line from the fuel pump to the carburetor in aluminum foil.  It ain't pretty and I won't be showing any photos of it but I've got some reliable advice that it will work well as a heat shield on the gas lines.  We are now pulling uphill on the eastern slope of the Continental Divide.  Altitude and heat + ethanol is no bueno for these old carbureted cars.

DSC_3468.jpg

The Buick is running fine except when Ms. Vapor Lock comes to visit.  

Dan

• Like 4

This may not help you on this trip...

Vapor lock occurs on the suction side of a fuel pump; any pump will push gasoline and vapor.

Wrapping lines, clothes pins, diesel are all useless.

The only effective solution is an electric fuel pump mounted very near the tank.

Winter blend fuel with more butane (more volatile and more prone to vapor lock) has been phased in since September 15.

• Like 2