Newest "Wonder car"

Interesting, Dave, and thank you for sharing that article.

I notice it may get UP TO 84 miles per gallon, not simply 84 miles per gallon.

I wonder whether this idea will make it, and if they'll sell more than a handful.

Some ideas never make it to fruition--just as in the old days.

Is there much demand for a covered motorcycle-car vehicle?

Sad thing is that to meet Obama's MPG plan three wheels may be the next big thing.

Seating sounds like a Messerschmitt.

" fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, 3 cyl., .9 liter, liquid-cooled engine. The engine is 55 HP with 55 LB-FT of torque" - need DOHC for VVT I&e & I expect the next generation of engines will have direct injection and a turbo. This sounds like the specs for the first Smart Car & very last century.

Compare to the Hyundai 1600 with 201 hp and 195 lb-ft from 1850 to 4500 rpm. Nearly 4X the power for less than 2x the displacement 

I have seem mpg over 84 before, while coasting downhill.

Is cute.

One needs to go all the way to the bottom of the page of the website that comes up with the above link.  It states that everything on the site is "Forward Thinking", in other words, conceptual only.  I think most of the images are computer generated, thus what you are looking at isn't a real vehicle at all.

I'm going to use my reserve of "forward thinking" to conceptualize me driving a Duesenberg, I'm surely not going to waste it on a three wheeler.

Oh, and one more thing about three wheelers, since I once owned and drove a 1947 Davis.  That middle wheel hits all the bumps in the center ridge of a lane that a four wheel car misses, life can get interesting!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Just the latest generation's version of the Corbin Sparrow, which became defunct after building 289 cars in six years.  Release of the Elio has repeatedly been delayed and is now pushed back to 2017.  There are some interesting articles on the web that compare Elio's marketing story with their SEC filing.  Bottom line is that without securing a major (like nearly $200M) loan from the Gov't for alternative energy vehicles, this is never going to happen.  If they do get the "loan", the taxpayers are unlikely to ever get that money back.

It's been "coming soon" for quite some time now. If it makes it to market I'd probably be a player. I'm quite content with my crank window manual Fiesta at the moment, this would just be simpler still!

Elio is a Publicly traded company. Watch out! Over-the-counter.  Elio Motors Inc(OTCMKTS:ELIO)

https://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS%3AELIO&ei=ffNYV_GZB8qxiwKiyby4CA

Did you say a targeted $6,800* base price?

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements on this website are “forward-looking statements.” These statements involve risks and uncertainties, and the Company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking information. Risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from planned operations include, without limitation, delays in receipt of adequate financing, delays in commencement of production, decreased consumer interest in the Company’s products, downturn in general economic conditions, increased production costs and availability of raw materials, competition, and unfavorable market and regulatory conditions, all of which are difficult or impossible to predict accurately and many of which are beyond the Company’s control. Readers are referred to the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. The information contained on this website is a statement of the Company’s present intentions, beliefs or expectations and is based upon, among other things, the existing business environment, industry conditions, market conditions and prices, the economy in general and the Company’s assumptions. The Company may change its intentions, beliefs or expectations at any time and without notice, based upon any changes in such factors, in its assumptions or otherwise, and it undertakes no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statements for any reason. The cautionary statements contained or referred to on this website should be considered in connection with any subsequent written or oral forward-looking statements that the Company or persons acting on its behalf may issue.

Elio said last month that “the bulk” of its commercial production will not begin until 2017, three years after its initial goal. The company, which said in a March regulatory filing that it has accumulated a deficit of about $53.8 million, also noted “we anticipate generating a significant loss for the current fiscal year.”

The company previously planned to deliver the vehicles to the more than 50,000 people who preordered them in 2014 and in 2016.

Elio says the three-wheeled vehicle, which is planned for production in a former General Motors assembly plant in Shreveport, La., will get up to 84 mpg and will sell for $6,800.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Guest GT52

All the disadvantages of a car, and all the disadvantages of a motorcycle, all in one package.  Who wouldn't want one?

It's all stuff that is available in third world nations.

I had a good talk with my doctor and came home optimistic that I "could live up to" another 40 years. The first thing I did was investigate life and business in third world counties to prepare. That's where this collection of "misfits, tin horns, and ner' do wells" is taking us.

No kidding, want to get online in South America, bring a handful of quarters. Need a nationalized electric grid; check Mumbai and Rio. Lots of new to us wonders on the way.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAODAAAAJGQ5OTFmZTVkLTBlYjQt

Bernie

I live in rural Michigan with lots of 55 mph secondary roads. I am also on our local fire department. When I see these small vehicles my mind flashes to all the car accidents I have seen. Seeing the results of a sub-compact after a t-bone by a Suburban really drives home the importance of understanding Kinetic Energy. Even with all the air bags and crumble zones built in to new cars, a 6500 lb truck at 55 mph tends to do bad things to the occupants of a small car. For this reason I don't like driving anything smaller than a mid-size sedan, especially on snowy roads.

Scott

Guest ShadowES

When it's your time it's your time, truck drivers get killed every day in accidents and they are not in sub-compacts.