Disappointed

Vila

Personal opinion here.

I was disappointed to see one or two of the presidential candidates were allowed to use the AACA Museum as the venue for spouting off about their greatness.

I really don't care if I am for or against one of the particular individuals, or anyone else for that matter, but don't believe it should be allowed.

One of the AACA tasks has been to get antique auto friendly legislation passed and presenting "the image" they favor a specific candidate or party will not help this effort if the other party or candidates believe AACA supports a specific person.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Never knew anything about it 'till you mentioned it.

http://www.ldnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/01/john-kasich-brings-campaign-hershey/82466790/

Congressman Charlie Dent (R-15) who endorsed Ohio Governor

Kasich was introduced by Congressman Charlie Dent, whose 15th District extends from Northampton County to Hershey and includes parts of Lebanon County. Dent, who endorsed Kasich about a month ago and helped arrange the event, 

“I think the town hall style really fits him well because he is folksy and he likes connecting with the people. I think this was a great opportunity to showcase that,” said Aragon, who is vice president of Aramis Interactive, a marketing company in Lebanon.

“He’s not Donald Trump, Ted Cruz or Hillary Clinton,” said Andy Ruggiero of Hummelstown, who initially supported Rick Santorum and then Marco Rubio before settling for Kasich.

Elliott Weinstein, a Realtor from York County, said he is in Kasich's camp for the same reason.

“We have to stop the insanity,” Weinstein said. “I might not agree with everything he says, but at least he is normal.”

• Like 1

I am sure that someone who knows more than me will respond at some point. This is the first that I heard of that event too.

I am aware that renting Museum space for private events is one of the ways that the AACA Museum (like all museums) raises funds.

http://www.aacamuseum.org/private-events/corporate/ 

It is not my place to speak for the museum but this is all rather simple.  Yes, both candidates PAID to use the museum's facilities.  That is a good thing.  Secondly, the AACA Museum is being recognized in the media which is priceless.  Visitor's to the museum for these speeches may never have known about the museum before or had visited it.  They now know it exists!  There is no one who is dealing with antique car legislative issues who would be anything other than overjoyed that politicians visited a car museum!  These men may or may not be involved in future political decisions but if they are they might remember their trip to the museum and the cars they saw there.  It just might make them stop and think before supporting any anti-hobby bills.

I seriously doubt that most people believe that the museum is supporting any candidate.  Bob, that is the funniest comment you have ever made on this forum!  You DO have a sense of humor! :) 

• Like 6

I agree that only a very small number of people would think that the venue endorses any candidate. Its no different than if they used any other venue with a corporate name. I see your thought process, but I don't think its a concern, I'm happy that their money was spent on a place we all support in one way or another.

• Like 1

I agree with Steve's thoughts on the exposure for the AACA and the museum.  However, for good or ill, I can say the publicity apparently did not reach very far as here in Illinois a day later this is the first I have heard of it at all, Todd C 

On 4/20/2016 at 7:46 PM, 1937hd45 said:

This ought to be good, time to put some popcorn on. Bob

I'll  have mine with butter please, and make sure spell out what the letters AACA  stand for.  I hope it was good publicity for the facility.   Good move by the sales dept. at the Museum.  As a member of AACA, I get in for free, making creative fund raising a really good idea.  No endorsement taken here.

Most facilities would be honored to have a town hall Q&A with a Presidential candidate, any candidate of either party. It just happens to be in Charlie Dent's district. The Democrats may choose to not appear there, for that reason, even though the facility would be more than welcoming to them.

Guest Magoo
On 4/21/2016 at 7:57 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

It is not my place to speak for the museum but this is all rather simple.  Yes, both candidates PAID to use the museum's facilities.  That is a good thing.  Secondly, the AACA Museum is being recognized in the media which is priceless.  Visitor's to the museum for these speeches may never have known about the museum before or had visited it.  They now know it exists!  There is no one who is dealing with antique car legislative issues who would be anything other than overjoyed that politicians visited a car museum!  These men may or may not be involved in future political decisions but if they are they might remember their trip to the museum and the cars they saw there.  It just might make them stop and think before supporting any anti-hobby bills.

I seriously doubt that most people believe that the museum is supporting any candidate.  Bob, that is the funniest comment you have ever made on this forum!  You DO have a sense of humor! :) 

Makes sense to me. Thanks for all you do. 

You say one of the goals of the AACA is to promote the interests of its members with the government. Well this is a good way to meet the candidates and get them on your side. I don't see a problem as long as the AACA does not endorse any party or candidate, and make their facilities available to all. Sounds like democracy to me.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2016 at 7:57 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Very well said.  I would have tried to make the same points.

I heard on the local radio that Ted Cruz was to speak there too--correct?

Checking the internet news reports, I see that candidate

Ted Cruz did indeed also speak at our museum.

His rally attracted 200 to 300 people, the report said.

The rally was in the basement, with all the antique buses

seen picturesquely in the background.

Donald Trump spoke elsewhere (at the state Farm Show

building in nearby Harrisburg, Penna.).  Too bad the

6000 people he attracted didn't come to our museum too!

• Like 1