How can I pop a trunk lid from the inside???

John_Mc

Conventional wisdom is to remove the seat and the locking hardware.  Yea, I could do that on this '56 Lincoln convertible but I can see the rod and if I could just reach it, I could pop the trunk.  Is there a trick, a tool, a way of reaching (about 3'-4') that far and popping this lock???  Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!!!

if you are referring to  the flat rod that would normally go inside the key cylinder, you should be able to open it with  long needle nose pliers. just grab the rod and twist it the direction you would turn the key if the cylinder was in place.

Guest AlCapone

Screw two long wood screws in the end of a 4 foot piece of 1 by 2 lumber about a half inch apart and deep. Drill it first so it does not crack. It will become a two tanged fork. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

When I got my '59 Chevy it came with no key.

I had no other choice but to slither through a small opening behind the rear seat back only to find I couldn't release the latch that way either.......  :wacko:

I wound up slithering out and back again with a wrench to remove the latch bolts.

Luckily the trunk in that car is large enough to transport a coffin........  :P

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

I thought from the way it was written that the cylinder was missing and he could see the rod deep inside the open hole. If he has the cylinder, then a quick trip to a locksmith would result in a new key being cut and problem solved.

Back in the day for GM, the ignition key opened the doors, trunk key was glove and trunk only & sometimes the glove lock only had two tumblers .

OTOH in '59 there were not that many different keys used by Chevvy, an old time locksmith might have a ring with all of them.

Yes, guys the lock cylinder is there but I have no key. The ignition key does not work for the trunk. The space is so small I would never fit in ther and the trunk itself is so disgusting, I wouldn't want to bein there even if I could fit. There is a lever and rod that operate the latch but it's so far away from the back seat, I can't any leverage to move the rod. I see no alternatives besides calling a locksmith or just drilling the darn thing out.

Back in the day for GM, the ignition key opened the doors, trunk key was glove and trunk only & sometimes the glove lock only had two tumblers .

OTOH in '59 there were not that many different keys used by Chevvy, an old time locksmith might have a ring with all of them.

The '59 Chevy is a one key car.

I had keys made from the glove box lock (only 2 screws to remove)........  ;)  .......AFTER I got the trunk opened........  :rolleyes:

If there is a reason you want to maintain the original lock just call a locksmith - they can make a key in a few minutes as long as the have a blank.

If you don't mind getting a new lock cylinder just drill it out and be done with it.

If the latch bolts are visible just use a couple of long extensions on a ratchet.

Can't you remove a door cylinder and get a key cut? The doors and glove box should be keyed the same as the trunk

I must be getting old since I read your post, but it did not register.  Yes, the door and trunk keys should be the same.  If the locksmith is too expensive or can't pick the lock, I'll just remove a door lock and have a key or two made from it.  You had the answer I was looking for, thanks very much.

My first thought would be to call one of the paintless dent removers. They are amazing at manipulating through small openings and getting deep into panels. Slithering back the that lock should be simple for them. That would be action one on my list.

Bernie

I feel like an idiot but for certain the glovebox key IS the same as the trunk key. The glovebox was also locked but I removed the screws holding the hinge to the dash and it all came down. And inside I found an owner's manual and many other documents. I took the glovebox lock to my locksmith this morning. Thanks to all who commented. I just could not figure it out!

• Like 1

Hey.......if everyone thought of or knew everything forums would be useless........ ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

On a side note my locksmith DIDN'T think my '59 Chevy is a one key car and I didn't remember if my first '59 was.......  :unsure:

Luckily it was so it was one stop shopping........  :P

I feel like an idiot but for certain the glovebox key IS the same as the trunk key. The glovebox was also locked but I removed the screws holding the hinge to the dash and it all came down. And inside I found an owner's manual and many other documents. I took the glovebox lock to my locksmith this morning. Thanks to all who commented. I just could not figure it out!

To bad the key wasn't in there.

I had to go through the back seat on my Lincoln Premiere, and as I recall, had to remove two or three bolts in order to release the trunk. In other words, remove the latch!  Yes, if was foul, but like most dirt, it washed off.  My trunk was half full, literally, with the carapace of some large beetles.  There were buckets-full to clean out, but I believe they tended to preserve the trunk area.

The glove box and the trunk use the same key on the '56 Lincoln, no question about it. Problem is the glove box lock uses only 3 pins and the trunk lock uses 5 so I can't use the glove box lock to make a key.

I must free the lid from the trunk, no other way that I can see. I am trying what we suggested above using a 1 X 1 about 4' in length and drilling two screws in it. Plan is to put the screws between the lock rod and then twist the wood to engage the rod and then lift the rod freeing the lid. That's the plan, now let's see if it works! Thanks to all who have responded.

I had to go through the back seat on my Lincoln Premiere, and as I recall, had to remove two or three bolts in order to release the trunk. In other words, remove the latch!  Yes, if was foul, but like most dirt, it washed off.  My trunk was half full, literally, with the carapace of some large beetles.  There were buckets-full to clean out, but I believe they tended to preserve the trunk area.

Hi, did you not just try to grab the rod to release the lid?