Spam Pie

MrEarl

58 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

But surely you had your government issue P-38 with you!? 

C3ED7570-E790-412D-84DA-A258FAD9A600.jpeg

Even before pull-tabs, Spam provided an attached key,  I guess they didn’t want to give anybody an excuse not to eat their wonderful product. 

8D1DF279-4958-47D0-8F24-CB061BE6350A.jpeg

The P-38 was left at home. Believe me, it was the first thing I thought of. 

I miss the SPAM key. That was WAY more fun...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was quite surprised to see this tread on this forum , So I thought I would share my recollections of Spam with you guys. I’m not sure of the origins of spam , British or American , pork luncheon meat ,obviously dates back to pre WW2 and wonder if soldiers found it was the ease  to store and cook in a frying pan that made it popular , my dad was a soldier 8th army turbrok , el alemain etc , he certainly liked  it and  used to cook me spam fritters or  chop it up and put in curry.

It’s popularity  declined in the 60s not helped because I think at least in Britain it was considered working class food , I was never offered spam sandwiches by our well off relatives, proper meat or cheese and salmon by top knobs . Give me plain egg or cheese anytime or even spam

I remember i liked it cold with baked beans on . Must have been my dads thing cause after he passed very young , don’t remember  my mum ever serving it . Cest la vie

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in Dollar General earlier today.  Found some "SPAM SINGLES".  Heck, $1.00 a pack, so I got two.  Got home, got two pieces of wheat bread, applied Hellman's and a bit of mustard.  Opened the foil package and the SPAM slid out in all of its cold,  congealed fat coating.  Didn't have to touch it, just slide it out of the package onto the bread.  Good thing I only bought two packs!  Perhaps I should have put it in a skillet to heat up first?

NTX5467

]

I might also note that this "modern" (1950s) food item has some interesting attributes.  Similar to bologna, minimal "carbs", minimal "sugar", minimal "calories", be sure to look at "sodium", and some "fat".  Rather have some "Light" beef bologna instead!

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, MrEarl said:

Great news nonetheless, did they say when it might be available in the grocery stores

Don't get too excited -- rumor is there'll be a 24-can limit...  :o