Spam Pie

MrEarl

4 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

HEY!!!

Actually, I left engineering last week.  I'm a maintenance instructor now.

Yes, that's a Northstar, but TOYota has done the same thing:  http://www.someguyinnevada.com/toyota-tundra-starter-repair-a-journey-of-discovery

You will return, I did.  Once an engineer, always an engineer. Oh wait that's a Marine,  never mind 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Yes, SPAM had an anniversary a day or so ago!

That starter location in the Northstar was actually a pretty decent place to be!  Nice and warm, plus DRY.  Don't have to need a lift to get at it, either!  Or lay on one's back.  I knew that when one of our then-newhires (from a rural repair shop) changed one and it worked, it must not be that hard to change.

As noted, OTHERS had used similar starter placements before the NorthStar did.  Y'all are giving GMPowertrain people too much credit for something WE hadn't seen them do before.

NTX5467

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

I've never had spam before, but I think I have 4 weeks to see if I like it because I don't think I can survive on Ramen alone.

I'd eat Spam for 3 meals a day before I'd touch Ramen noodles… 

Don't get me wrong, I love Ramen noodles, but the nutritional value is terrible! 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:19 PM, Larry Schramm said:

I retired from GM electrical engineering and because of my manufacturing and service background worked hard to not build in hard to repair scenarios.

Many "hard to repair" scenarios seemed to be in the domain of the "assembly sequence" operatives.  Like placing the battery on the opposite side as the starter (which the NorthStar starter might have compromised on). that required a 6' battery cable that was intertwined with the motor mount brackets, which then complicated engine removal operations UNTIL that battery cable was found to be the reason the engine wouldn't come out by "conventional wisdom" methods.

On fwd vehicles, the underhood real estate was becoming more valuable and needed cooling airflow was hindered, in many cases.  Heat soak issues were and had been prevalent with the starter in the traditional location.  Several different solenoid heat shields were configured for Chevy V-8s, especially the "hot running"454 pickups and motorhome chassis vehicles.  Nothing really seemed to work, by observation.  And that was with the starter in seemingly "open" air.

The "valley" location was also used by the Corvette engine built by Mercury Marine.  At the time, I thought that was "not too smart", but then learned that many other "race" engines put it there, too.  It's in a protected place.  No worries of road splash, slush in cooler weather, or other atmospheric things all nesteled into that warm and safe valley.

By some manner, it seemed that when FI arrived, starter issues of old had decreased markedly.  Fewer starter shim issues, for example!  Might have been related to the standardized starter end housing?  Only reman starters were available from GMParts.  Starter flywheel ring gear issues seemed to vanish, too!  Main thing with flywheels became "will it bolt-up" rather than "how many teeth"?

So, by some "hook or crook", this starter location in the NorthStar actually seemed to work!  Although there were other issues with NorthStars which appeared that were not expected, as time progressed.  Like the "time sert" Heli-Coil fix for head bolts bringing the block's threads with them when the cylinder heads had to be removed at well past 100K miles, for the first time.  Or some oil consumption issues related to piston rings during the 50K mile warranty period.  OR, the famous oil leak on the side of the block, where the main saddle meets the side of the engine block (when we discovered this one, a used car salesperson was addressing an oil leak complaint on a car she'd sold.  When the bill came back for $1500.00, she almost swallered her dentures.  I was surprised too, until I found out the front subframe had to be dropped to get to it . . . same thing with the rear valve cover gasket, too.

All of these things, with time, seemed to pass, too.

NTX5467

Oh yeah. That's the kind the driver of the vehicle thinks he has to back into the parking stall.  By the time his rear tires reach the curb, the bed of his truck covers 3/4 of the sidewalk and the hitch covers the other 1/4. He's just trying to win the award for  being most considerate.  

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest alleyyooper

Hood emblem looks like the one ripped off father in laws 2004 Park Avenue.

Kare fears some one is going to steal the one off our Collectors Edition. Go to a resturant and eat one at a time so there is always a guard over it.

:D  Al

7 hours ago, alleyyooper said:

Hood emblem looks like the one ripped off father in laws 2004 Park Avenue.

Kare fears some one is going to steal the one off our Collectors Edition. Go to a resturant and eat one at a time so there is always a guard over it.

:D  Al

Those are the keys to Ruby.  I snag emblems & hood ornaments off cars at the JY, and one of my daughters makes key rings out of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2010 at 9:45 AM, MrEarl said:

I have a dream.....and that dream is...that this thread will never die.

My dream is that someday the forum admins will quit hosting their CSS rules on a separate server. 

I can get to this site just fine at work, but the corporate firewall blocks wherever the formatting files are stored. My work around has been a side machine on our "guest" network that works just fine, until today. 

I was enjoying my Jalapeño Spam at lunch time, and a co-worker was telling me about spotting a vintage Hormel add in a 1940 Nat. Geo.

I requested a copy to share here, and proceeded to pull up this on my side machine. How often would you visit this site if it looked like this?

59c2ae3ed1b97_csssucks.thumb.PNG.286630ba31bb43da5a4c7b2bf5388655.PNG

7 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

My dream is that someday the forum admins will quit hosting their CSS rules on a separate server.

Sorry, but I'm  really not understanding what you're saying here Matt. Is there some alternate way that would remedy this or is it a security measure that we just have to live with?  

It's the way the webpage code is structured. The content is delivered from one file, while the "stylesheet" is delivered in a separate file. The entire look of the page is based on what's defined in the CSS stylesheet. 

Because the forum software developers decided to point the code back to a CSS stylesheet saved on a server identified as something other than "forums.aaca.org," and that server is blocked by the corporate firewall, so I can't get a stylesheet for this forum. This results in the above appearance. Someone else probably uses the same developer's products to discuss or promote behavior deemed inappropriate by our corporate censor, and this forum is just collateral damage. 

The solution is simple:  Put the CSS stylesheet on the forums.aaca.org server. Apparently, I'm the only one that has complained about this issue, so that doesn't warrant the need for anything to change. 

Sorry to bore you with the gorey details...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My real solution is to turn wifi off on my phone. When it connects on the cell network, I'm fine. There's still some goofiness when viewing this site on my tiny phone screen, though. A forum iPhone app would be nice.

The silly thing is that this is the only site that gives me this problem, and the admins say I'm the only one complaining... Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)