Spam Pie

MrEarl

• 3 weeks later...

Im selling all my gold and silver and buying stock in Spam.  What a funny story, thanks for sharing Matt.

some of my favorite lines

“Since the shoplifters got the stolen goods for free, they are able to make a 100 percent profit reselling them,” says Tina Yamaki,

So tha's the way that works...Brilliant deduction there Ms Yamaki 

On September 14, three women almost got away with 18 cases of Spam from Long’s in Ewa Beach, but savvy shopper Kurt Fevella spotted the women and followed them through the store.

“I knew there was no way they could pay for all that Spam,” he says.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-16-at-7.22.48-PM.png

When the women got near the exit, he gave them stink eye.

“The woman pushing the shopping cart with all the Spam then shoved the cart at me and said ‘Here, you take it,’” he said.

Fevella says the two women with the woman pushing the cart still escaped from the store with four reusable shopping bags filled with stolen items.

STINK EYE? What the ?

and

Spam is quick money. It’s lucrative.”

She says a person steals the Spam or other re-sellable goods, then makes a cell phone call to a middleman, who often take advantage of them by offering a very cheap price.

She calls the canned meat transactions, “Spam currency.”

and finally

“Spam currency” hurts everyone.

• Haha 2

Just stumbled into this thread..... guess was looking for a Buick connection here but anyways here are my two cents on this mystery meat product. This will be our poboy sandwich in exile.

http://www.spam.com/recipes/cuban-spam-wich

Try it!

if you don’t see a Buick connection, I don’t either but my 54 color resembles that product can scheme.....hum may be I should contact them for some type of advertisement 

Hey Lamar... you may want to quit smoking!

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I heard of the black market SPAM yesterday, the first thing I thought of was this thread!  Didn't know that SPAM was "a staple" of the Hawaiian diet!  Probably more healthy than cigarettes . . .

Imagine the conversation in prison . . . "I was arrested for stealing SPAM" . . . heard by somebody that was not from Hawaii!  Kind of de-values regular stealing?  OR the possible conversation among friends . . . "You went to prison for stealing WHAT????   ______________________________________"

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

On 10/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, MrEarl said:

Spam Spread, never knew it existed. Bye bye Potted Meat...

IMG_7630.JPG

Challenge acceped. 

I have never in my life eaten "potted meat," but I've been accused of doing so whenever consuming deviled ham.  I decided to put the SPAM spread head to head against my favorite non-perishable meat spread, Underwood's Deviled Ham. Let's take a look:  

IMG_7576.thumb.JPG.24dfa31817ec3618c48bcbb64002f40a.JPG

The first thing to note is the price and the size of the can. Locally, I paid $1.64 for 4.25 oz of Deviled Ham vs. $1.38 for 3 oz of the SPAM spread. That's 36¢/oz compared to 46¢/oz respectively. 

IMG_7577.thumb.JPG.1445362851d135b25fce8ba17f01fbc8.JPGIMG_7579.thumb.JPG.89e71431331c7827c6719cb2a05d5f6a.JPG

Nutritionally, the contents are pretty comparable. Sodium is a little higher in the SPAM, but if you are salt-sensitive you'd probably want to steer clear of both. I'm not salt-sensitive so the sodium content here doesn't bother me in the slightest. Carbs are a little higher in the Underwood due to the brown sugar, but that's pretty insignificant. The one thing that really stood out is that the Deviled Ham is basically ham & spices, where the SPAM spread ingredients give me the impression that it really is just a bunch of offal scooped up off the floor. 

IMG_7581.thumb.JPG.fd68271c92dc73e998b930dc1409f632.JPG

Popping open the cans I noted that the Underwood product had a courser, firmer texture than the SPAM, which I prefer.  Straight out of the can, both had decent flavor, but the SPAM was obviously more bland, and the chicken content was very noticeable under the traditional SPAM flavor. 

IMG_7583.thumb.JPG.7f811fd8a7b39998f8eadaa68dd8317b.JPG

Both products spread nicely, and held their shape on the crackers very well.  This is where the Deviled Ham really shined, as the spicyness of the product still gave plenty of kick over the saltine to provide a more interesting presentation of flavor.  The Hormel contender barely had enough flavor behind it to overcome the cracker. 

IMG_7584.thumb.JPG.6ff138820a289d079ac9aa43ab110c60.JPG

As expected, the Deviled Ham also provided longer lasting enjoyment due to the extra 1.25 oz in the can. 

IMG_7585.thumb.JPG.00c49eda618a4d1a5342d592ea0f2ab8.JPG

Don't try this at home.  Aside from the squishiness, you'd hardly know the SPAM spread was in there if sandwiched between TWO crackers. The Underwood, however, still held its own under the saltine assault. 

In the end, this was really no contest. More meat for your money, and better flavor for the long haul makes the Underwood Deviled Ham the clear choice for crackery meat spread.  The chickeniness was not bad, just a little unexpected coming from a SPAM product.  It really needed some help from some Tobascco, mustard, jalapeño slices, or some other product that can step the flavor up a notch or two to be on the same level as the Underwood straight out of the can. 

Sorry SPAM!  It was a good try, but for today I'll continue to buy the can in the white paper wrapper. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpecialEducation said:

Well, I'd guess it's either a group of British motorists touring the US, or an evacuation due to something like a hurricane or zombie outbreak. 

Hint: what is the make of the car and what are the rest of the cars doing relative to it and why. 

42 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Tell me this guy isn’t biased towards his potted meat.

Thanks for that detailed comparison Matt, deviled ham is indeed tasty and good but really there is just no comparable to Spam, period. 

You are right, there is no comparison!  ?

The guy in the video says it tastes just like SPAM, but he is wrong!

He also has a video where he reviews the Underwood products. At first he's disappointed because it doesn't smell like POTTED MEAT, but as far as product  quality goes, he's spot on (except for his love for mayonnaise). 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Well, I'd guess it's either a group of British motorists touring the US, or an evacuation due to something like a hurricane or zombie outbreak. 

Nahh, that's a small newer Toyota sedan using the improved shoulder for one of its 7 approved uses (at least in TX), as the Dodge Avenger, Nissan, and others respectfully wait for it to either stop or get into the flow of traffic, respectfully.  Perhaps it's going to flop over in front of them, in their lane, and they don't want to get hurt??  NO need to enrage the Toyota driver, who might "be packing" and distraught as the little car "Caint get no respect"!

NTX5467

I remember that Underwood "food item" from back when Mr. Earls' fleet of '54s were becoming ready to trade-in for something newer.  Seems like Underwoods had a chain of BBQ places back then?  Or the same "Underwoods"?  It was always a little classier than the competition (SPAM, et al).  And cost a little more.  Eating that stuff was "a treat" back then, in the little cans.  Perhaps it was the "unwrapping" thing and related excitement to see what was "special" and inside (like getting a present?)??

A week or so ago, I was looking for something to snack on, so I bought two cans of "potted meat".  Although the can's size hadn't changed in 60 years, it all seemed so "TINY".  What used to be a few chews was now ONE bite and quickly "gone".  You have to eat it in "snack bites".  One can might make one sandwich?  Only that it'd take more than one for what used to be "a meal"?

Never did figure out what made "potted meat" potted.  I finally saw a video of "pulled pork" being made.  Now there's "pulled chicken"?  What's wrong with "sliced" and grilled???

Sodium content of these things isn't really important, so long as you don't exceed the accepted limit, usually.  My sensors are still working and I can taste it, when it's too high.  Just tastes salty and too much is not good (for taste, mine).  Still . . . reading the labels is great exercise in shopping!  Some things you don't realize had lots of salt really do, not to mention "the calories"!

SPAM and eggs might even be healthier than some bacons1  Add a little Tobasco for accent.  Almost every time I look at a beer, have to digress on my belt loops, it seems.

Enjoy the smells of cooking eggs and _____ in the morning!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NTX5467 said:

We've got a growing kitten at work that loves MIracle Whip.  He licked it off the bread before he even considered the black forest ham.

NTX5467

And when he gets to be a big cat and barfs up the ham guess what it will look like.

True story: Girl I knew made canapes for a party. Cat food on Ritz crackers. Said she used the good stuff. "It was Fancy Feast" she later said with a loopy grin.  True story.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...