First Pre-War Car...Where to Start?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I could use some advice.  I am not new to antique cars, but I am new to pre-war cars.  I am looking to purchase my first pre-war car within the next few weeks!

I am excited about the prospect, but I want to make sure I don't get in over my head.  I love the big, long 4 dr sedans of the late 20's.  And originally, that's all I considered.  I narrowed it down to 2 cars:

- 1930 REO Flying Cloud Model 625, Unrestored, Original, 2 Condition.

- 1931 Buick Model 857, Restored, 2 Condition.

Pictures of the two below.  Reo first, then Buick.

5J4cPqG.png

jJJT88W.jpg

They loog great, and are in good shape.  The Buick's interior is nicer, but it's also restored...the Reo is original but almost perfect.

These fit the bill for what I'm looking for.  But after talking to some owners, I'm a bit concerned about long term ownership.  Parts seem to be quite hard to come by. 

Since this is my first pre-war car, perhaps something more 'common' like a Model A would be more appropriate?  They're a bit smaller which isn't exactly to my liking, but it's not a HUGE deal...plus, I know of one that has been restored, converted to 12 volt, and even has A/C.  Picture Below:

AyVbgU6.jpg

I'd like some advice from the experts...I am mechanically minded and have no issue working on my own cars, but would I be getting in over my head by starting my pre-war experience with a very uncommon car without much parts availability?  Should I start with something 'easier' and more 'common?'  Or would the Reo/Buick be a solid choice?

Edited by envoy_to_the_stars (see edit history)

If you have some mechanical ability, as you state, I wouldn't let parts availability influence a decision.  Most things on antique cars can be rebuilt, and given a little time, most things can be found.

The Model A is a great choice if you want to be able to just pick up the phone and get any part you want, but you'd be giving up the better ride and comfort of a larger car.  Model A's are great cars, too, and there are lots of them...but my vote is for something a little out of the ordinary.  Also, personally, I don't like the modifications to the A that you discuss, they dilute the experience of driving an antique car as they were, and being in the experience.  I never will understand why people go to 12 volt so quickly, when a properly set up 6 volt system works perfectly well.  I realize in the case you state it was to run the AC and whatever other electronics they have on the car.

From the model numbers, it appears the Reo is a 6 cylinder, the Buick an 8 cylinder?  The Buick is more common than the Reo, but probably a slightly heavier car, and possibly a slight edge on higher quality also.

I'd go with the Buick if I were you.  They are great driving cars, parts are somewhat obtainable, and you'll never be sorry driving an eight cylinder!

Best of luck with decision.

• Like 2

I agree with David. I have found that Model As are a bit cramped if you are a tall person. Parts for those are EVERYWHERE. The REO sounds/looks like a great car. As David said, the Buick will probably be easier to find parts for, but with the internet, you can find most stuff for the REO, too. I would go for the REO since it is more rare than the Buick, but I like to live on the edge.

Just two cents from someone who started in this hobby in 1961 ......

These cars speak to your intellect. You are using your intellect to make a rational decision - and that is good. You can go down through a checklist and assign values and all that and make an informed decision. And all of that is well and good.

But when you find the perfect car it will speak to your heart. When you find that car all attempts at reason will fail you. Your intellect will remind you of all the things that are wrong with, or could go wrong with, the car, but it will lose. You didn't want to spend that much money, you didn't want to get into that major a project, you didn't want to ............ all to no avail because your heart will win.

If you are fortunate that will happen someday ..... but don't hold your breath. From a realistic point of view I have always been happier with cars that appeal to my emotions rather than my checklist ..... it's a hard lesson because it is almost counter-intuitive.

Agree with vermontboy's comments on the emotional side. I will say that if you are considering both a big non Classic vs. A Model A try to drive examples of both. Bigger cars of that Era may have more power but for some driving them can be a chore. Big difference in drive ability in just a few short years in the late 20s to around 1932 or so. Both nice looking cars, BTW. I like the REO color combo and lines.

I, too, vote for the Buick. 1931 was the first year for straight-8 power and for that reason alone I like it more than the REO or the Model A. The Model A isn't really even in the same league with the other two and in terms of poise and driving experience, the Buick will be the best driver of the three. It's amazing how much better more expensive cars were back then. Today, all cars drive about the same and it's all shades of gray, but back then, a more expensive car was better in every tangible way, from materials to the way it "feels" going down the road. The Buick, and to a lesser extent the REO, will be superior road cars. Still primitive, but not AS primitive as a Model A. And I have to think that an A/C compressor on a Model A engine would steal half its 40 horsepower, maybe more. Not sure I'd want that to be honest.

I also like the Buick Club of America, which is one of the biggest and best organizations for old cars. I'm sure the REO club is great, too, but just based on sheer numbers I think the Buick will have a better support network.

As you say, the Model A will have better parts availablity, but neither the Buick nor the REO will be made of unobtainium, so I wouldn't worry too much about parts replacement. On the other hand, in the future if you want to sell the car, Model As are pretty easy to sell, Buicks less so and a REO even more so. Price them right, no problem, but none of these cars will appreciate noticably while you own them. Get in and enjoy!

Put me down as a Buick vote.

I think all the points raised are good ones.   The Reo is certainly less known but the club is very active and supportive.  They were really well engineered cars.   As the 625 is a 6 banger on a 125 inch wheelbase I would go with the Buick if it was an 8,  even if the Reo has slightly better styling.   Of course you didn't give us the prices which might change my mind.

I too like all the comments heretofore on this topic. I like Mark Shaw am a pre-war Buick guy and the '31 857 would be my choice. Having said that I believe the REO to be a great car as well. If the pricing is comparable I'd go with the one your heart is leading you to. I don't think one can compare these two cars to a model A. While model A's are fun to drive they are no where near what you'll experience in that Buick. As far as parts go as stated above with the internet and some patience you will be able to find almost anything you need for either car. I can't say enough for the BCA and it's members. They have always been there for me when I have some hard to find part or question about my car's restoration. What a great support network they are !!! Just my two coppers worth :)    

I like the REO and the Buick over the Model A with A/C. I agree it's which one grabs your heart. The question of what you want to do with the car should be foremost in the criteria of that choice.

#1 A car to take to local or national shows?

The REO because it's original and can be HPOF or class judged. It's unusual

and hard to find comparisons, plus it's better looking. (My opinion)

#2 A car to drive and participate in tours like the Glidden or Sentimental Tour.

The Buick, because of the straight 8 engine and popularity of Buicks for touring.

#3 A car primarily to tinker with and enjoy learning about 20's car building?

The REO because it's original.

#4 The fourth question people always a ask is, #4 Did you restore it? Right after

#1 What is it?

#2 Who made it?

#3 What's it worth?

Score this one for The REO.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.  I agree with everyone here that the Model A is not going to make me happy long term, so I have removed that one from the running.  I'm getting more pictures from the Reo owner today, I'll give yall more details when I have them!

The owner of this Reo has known the car personally since 1941...it was his neighbor's car growing up.  He has pictures of himself playing on it when he was a kid.  He saw the car in the 70's drivign down the road, flagged down the owner, and bought it.  Lots of neat stories with the car and interesting history.  I am working on figuring out the history of the Buick.  Stay Tuned!

Personally am allergic to rust and am more interested in the underneath of a new prospect as long as the top looks good.

Am at a stage in life where I am not looking for projects even though I can handle almost anything mechanically (I don't do pretty).

For a first one, it is best to go for something that you can drive and enjoy immediately, that way you can find out what you really want. If it is just taking up garage space you won't.

It is hard to stop at just one. Usually takes two or three to fixate on what you really want.

When you find you have more spares than cars you are in trouble. Double if you have a spare engine/drivetrain for a car you no longer have.

If the are three thing wrong with a prospect, I walk away unless there is special motivation. Of course I tend to keep cars I like for decades & have "enough".

Power steering did not become common until postwar. Nor did air conditioning.

I may have missed this, but don't recall seeing anything about how you intend to use one of these automobiles. Do you want to tour with it, or just take it to local shows, or drive around the neighborhood, or some of all? A  tour car needs to be in good mechanical condition and be comfortable for hours behind the wheel and trouble free driving. A show car can be in just about any condition from as close to original for a preservation class to a fully restored show room appearance. How you want to use it makes a difference. Something to think about.

(o{}o)

I may have missed this, but don't recall seeing anything about how you intend to use one of these automobiles. Do you want to tour with it, or just take it to local shows, or drive around the neighborhood, or some of all? A  tour car needs to be in good mechanical condition and be comfortable for hours behind the wheel and trouble free driving. A show car can be in just about any condition from as close to original for a preservation class to a fully restored show room appearance. How you want to use it makes a difference. Something to think about.

(o{}o)

A mix of all options.  I mostly just want to be able to drive it around and take it to local shows.  I don't plan on touring outside of Houston with it in the near future, at least.  Maybe when I get some more vacation time!

Thanks for the insight, everyone..........Stay Tuned!"

I , like you , particularly love such cars. Of course I also love open cars. So I have 1927 sedan and 1924 touring Cadillacs. One of your candidate cars absolutely steals my heart away. But I am not you , so I'll refrain with respect. If I were YOU in MY shoes (if that makes any sense) , I would buy both ! In YOUR shoes , time , money , storage, and , if those shoes be of the dancing variety , who else may call the tunes may make this option totally out of the question. It is a hobby , and I say blow as much dough as you can on it. (I have a rather high performance V12 car which costs me about $5/mile to operate , and I love it). After living with them , the value of what you will learn , and the fun you will have , and the friends you make , far more than compensates for the relatively small loss you will take upon selling one. If you are lucky , you may find it difficult to part with either. Hey , if they are close to you and the price is right in this buyers market , consider it. There are many cars I should have bought when presented with the opportunity. It is very hard for me to part with a car , and like most of us , wish............ Oh , wish , wish , wish. You want to play the end game with as few regrets as possible. Get 'em both. Play it right , and you needn't regret it. - Carl

A mix of all options.............I don't plan on touring outside of Houston with it in the near future, at least."

Whew ! Houston! Now I see why even an "A" has A/C ! I've been to Houston 4 or 5 times. Even bought a black Cadillac there years ago. I still remember sweltering in pre-war cars in Chicago Summers as a kid when pre-war cars were what everyone drove. You are buying an oven in any case ! Whew ! Best of luck to you , friend. I am rather curious as to what variety of stars you may be envoy. I am interested in astronomy , so you see why. Lots of amateur astronomers in Texas , where hobby interests can be pursued in the relative cool of night. - Carl

A mix of all options.............I don't plan on touring outside of Houston with it in the near future, at least."

Whew ! Houston! Now I see why even an "A" has A/C ! I've been to Houston 4 or 5 times. Even bought a black Cadillac there years ago. I still remember sweltering in pre-war cars in Chicago Summers as a kid when pre-war cars were what everyone drove. You are buying an oven in any case ! Whew ! Best of luck to you , friend. I am rather curious as to what variety of stars you may be envoy. I am interested in astronomy , so you see why. Lots of amateur astronomers in Texas , where hobby interests can be pursued in the relative cool of night. - Carl

tumblr_mtnid2buGP1rwn6y8o1_500.jpg

Envoy to the Stars is a reference to the Voyager I and II spacecraft.  When NASA launched those crafts, they calling them the "Envoy to the Stars" because they were the first craft that they knew would leave our solar system.  I used to work for General Electric, where we had the "Missle and Space Vehicle Department" (and I even have the Zippo to prove it, below) developed the radioisotope thermoelectric generators that power the craft.  It was launched in 1977 and the generator will give it enough power to run about 50 years without any solar influence through 2025.  We're pretty proud of that - the new Mars Rover uses the same type of power plant. 

Look up the Voyager craft...I feel like anyone who likes old technology and classic American ingenuity will get a kick out of those things.  The guidance system is run by an 8-track tape!

The car will be hot in the summer, that's for sure...but obviously it's not a daily driver, so I won't bring it out on those 100 degree days!  I don't mind a little heat, anyway...I'm used to it by now.

GW2x1T9.jpg

Either the Buick or the Reo would be ok. My preference is the Buick, but that is a personal preference.

But when you said this; Since this is my first pre-war car, perhaps something more 'common' like a Model A would be more appropriate? They're a bit smaller which isn't exactly to my liking, but it's not a HUGE deal...plus, I know of one that has been restored, converted to 12 volt, and even has A/C.

A model A Ford with 12 volts and A/C is no longer a antique car, it's just a old modified car.

Personally am allergic to rust and am more interested in the underneath of a new prospect as long as the top looks good.

Am at a stage in life where I am not looking for projects even though I can handle almost anything mechanically (I don't do pretty).

For a first one, it is best to go for something that you can drive and enjoy immediately, that way you can find out what you really want. If it is just taking up garage space you won't.

It is hard to stop at just one. Usually takes two or three to fixate on what you really want."

Etc. , Envoy , you are a very lucky man to have been involved with Voyager. I also think you are more than just lucky to have distilled your search down to these two apparently excellent cars. Since you already have experience with old cars , and are just going substantially pre-war , what I will offer up here bears repeating , though you may well know it already. All old cars require a fair amount of work and tinkering. You simply do your homework to minimize unpleasant surprises. In general , a car that has benefitted from a thorough quality restoration , may be mechanically better than new. Blueprinted , balanced , metallurgical upgrades , modern seal technology , all this and more can be incorporated in an engine. Other systems also may have taken advantage of some wizard mechanics invisible magic. Brakes , transmissions , lights , generators , etc. can all appear as original , but simply operate a bit easier and / or more safely. For example , no one would criticize a restorer for replacing old delicate pot metal pieces with more durable metal.

Uh , oh , it is way past this member of the geriatric sets bedtime. I want to contrast this with the needs of an original , unrestored car , and lay praise upon a couple of the generous gentlemen kindly giving of their time here and on many other forum sections. Please allow me to continue tomorrow , as I am fading fast , and my tired thumbs need a rest. TO BE CONTINUED , - Carl

Guest Graham Clayton

As someone who is interested in US "independent" makes of the inter-war period, I'd take the REO. The other advantage of the REO is when you display it at car shows, people will be interested because it is no longer being manufactured. You can tell onlookers not only about the REO, but also the role that Ransom E Olds played in the creation of Oldsmobile.

HELP ! HELP ! HELP ! I just wasted a couple,hours composing a continuation of my outline on restored and un-restored cars , and points to consider for purchase. Got a telephone breaker , and got derailed to Facebook (ugh) when I tried to resume. Don't think auto save is in effect , and I have a policy of never regenerating my long , erudite , well proofed and factually sound compositions. Like most of us old folks , I draw from a long and varied background. My pilot and flight engineer training give additional insights. Long distance driving in well equipped cars including expedition prepared 4 WD high altitude ( 16,000' at times ) experience in the Andes on various protracted occasions , helps too. Not to mention having owned and maintained many cars from the '20s , '30s and '40s , like almost all old folk have. I was beat and went to bed immediately upon getting home yesterday. Insomnia gave me an opportunity to continue my contribution. Now lost. I am very upset. So I will send this rant now, and try to briefly pass on what I was working on in very small postings. It is info that most of us know anyway , just presented at a time when some reminder seemed appropriate. Enough. I will send this now before it , by way of apology, disappears too. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. - Carl

Briefly : the flip side of a proper thorough restoration is the horror of a beautiful show car , with just external cosmetic attention given to the mechanicals. Recently saw a '34 Packard phaeton of that variety. Didn't even change the diff or trans lubes ! Good bye"bearings. Beautiful engine would have served a better purpose as an anchor. Owner paid top dollar here in Washington State. Make sure to research the mechanical condition. I had also given a good explanation of the opportunity to raise the compression ratio on an O.H.V. Engine. There are some misconceptions surrounding this practice that I dealt with. Suffice it to say at this point , that is a valuable mod to the internals.

O.K. , let's get this out while I still can. - Carl

All right. Now as brief an offering as possible on unrestored, original cars. If the car has received regular and frequent use and maintainance by the book , plus , it is a rare and valuable find. If it has gone through long periods of dormancy, a certain sequence of resurrection must be performed. Sounds like your subject car may well fit into the first category. Trust ? Maybe. But verify ? You must. I was just getting into the procedure of prepping an old original car for touring service when this disgusting , disrespectful , inadequate , poorly engineered device inflicted yet another insufferable insult to my existence. This is the second one I have had to endure , the first had some software problem. This one is better , but still does not perform its intended capabilities. I wish I had stayed with android , and really must distance myself from yahoo , and snuggle up to google. Can't risk loosing any more of my now diluted content , so off this goes. - Carl

Onwards : Envoy , I began this particular episode by quoting contributor Padgett. You notice he generously posts with great frequency and wisdom. This also mitigates towards my suggestion to buy both of these cars if they fit into the desireable end of the spectrum. This assumes that pricing fits the cars , and your checkbook. Also that the cars fit your garage/shop. ( Get a bigger one ! ). You may have been reading postings from these gentlemen for some time before becoming active. I , and many have done the same. You may realize the kind , selfless , helpful offerings from a group of old car folk who will be here for you as long as they are alive and able. You are far from alone , as you obviously realize. I have only had the pleasure of meeting one of these generous , knowledgable , accurate , energetic gents. I was invited to drop in with my '27 Cadillac sedan during a 400 mile shakedown up and down the Columbia River. He exemplifies the very best of the honest , caring fellow hobbyists, and has both the finest original and restored cars. I have also had my knowledge enhanced by another contributor who also often expertly posts on the Reo forum . All these guys. Wish I could meet them all. Other guys broker wonderful cars , and present them accurately , with happy results for buyer and seller. Passing on knowledge from their vast experience with a greater variety of cars than the average guy could ever own , is a very valuable resource. Other guys work on these cars professionally , and give freely of their accumulated experiences. I feel very privileged to submit my humble offerings among theirs. Perhaps they would agree with me , and help to convince you to reap the full fruit of your searching , take a deep breath , say "it's only money" or "so many cars , so little time" and leave neither of these cars behind ! - The very best of everything to you , Envoy , and to all who participate here. I/we shall give you some very important advice about driving your pre-war car at a later date. The question of " how fast will it go ? " , or ,"how fast can I drive it ?" , is a subject ventilated from time to time. Stepping into a slower time in history has some wonderful rewards. Take it slow and easy with the old cars. I am now exhausted , so I think I will slowly go back to bed. - Carl

In general , a car that has benefitted from a thorough quality restoration , may be mechanically better than new. Blueprinted , balanced , metallurgical upgrades , modern seal technology , all this and more can be incorporated in an engine. Other systems also may have taken advantage of some wizard mechanics invisible magic. Brakes , transmissions , lights , generators , etc. can all appear as original , but simply operate a bit easier and / or more safely. For example , no one would criticize a restorer for replacing old delicate pot metal pieces with more durable metal.

Hmm, good point.  That's the main thing that's keeping the Buick in the running right now.  It's a fully restored, Condition 2 car, the only flaw is that one of the seat buttons is loose, and I can probably get it for about $26k. 

The REO is 100% original and in good shape, but realistically it does have a few paint chips and "stretch marks" on the hood and windshield corners, because its paint is 85 years old.  It's probably more of a "10 foot" Condition 3 car, and it's $16.5k.  By that I mean, from 10 feet, it looks flawless.  But up close, you can see some blemishes, as you can tell in the video below, and the engine smokes just a wee bit if you rev it too fast.

I know more about the REO, and the seller has been EXTREMLY helpful, but I worry a little about the implications of getting an ALL ORIGINAL car that is 85 years old. 

An interesting topic. My own first car was a '27 Cadillac in condition similar to your description of the REO. This was around 1972 so it was a pretty old car then and I suppose it did have issues but I'm not convinced that many of them weren't my own fault. The flip side to "restored" is just how well was the work done? If you don't know who did the mechanical parts – the things you can't see – how can you be sure? I tend to be skeptical that they were all done to the highest possible standards. At one time I was in the mechanical restoration business and have clear memories of car owners asking me to cut a few corners in order to save a bit of money. I once helped a friend bring home a 1931 Chrysler, purchased with a "rebuilt" engine. The seller even had the receipts from a well known local automotive machine shop, one we had both used in the past. Nevertheless, only about a week later it spun a rod bearing. (The shop refused to honor their warranty because my friend wasn't the "original purchaser.")

The REO, on the other hand, doesn't have this issue. It may (and probably does) have some wear, but given the condition it is currently in, it appears it was very well taken care of. Even were the prices identical I'd be slightly inclined to trust the judgement of the factory over that of some unknown restorer. That said, they are both nice cars. Both were well built, rugged machines. I tend to favor original over restored but that is a personal choice.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

It's not surprising that the Buick is going to come out on top in this comparison. The reasons have already been well articulated. I'll only add that your interest in that handsome, important looking Reo speaks well of your esthetics, nevertheless.

Both nice examples of the period. If you get serious on the Buick you should contact Jessie Morton of Morton Coach in Bristol CT. He is familiar with these Buicks having restored a few of the same era. Perhaps he will inspect for you. Worth the money if you don't want to come up north to see the car yourself. Of course if the REO is in VT you could likely see both in a weekend.

Carl if it makes you feel any better, if the lost post contained as much useful information as the ones that survive you didn't lose a thing.

No , sadly among the temporarily ( I hope to pull it out with auto save ) , lost info was a careful insight into bearing loads under different compression ratios with different octane gasoline , during both compression and power stroke. I had hoped to open up another possibility of potential value added in restored O.H.V. cars done right. But I do think I briefly alluded to it without elaboration while ranting. In my postings this morning , I readily admit that the ratio of constructive info to rant ( I find it real easy to rant ) is somewhat negatively biased , but good news : I have come back from a long , peaceful Memorial Day retreat. Enjoyed a fine breeze which kept Old Glory flapping impressively , as it flew by day in a remote area of Central Washington. Came back to get the '24 Cad up and running , and found that accumulated injurys to my left shoulder makes this almost almost impossible. Now partially laid up , and with a number of resultant medical appointments , I have time to diddle this infernal device occasionally. Be of good cheer , trusty ( though sometimes endearingly crusty ) valued and esteemed cyber friend , Rusty , for soon comes a continuation of our octane/kerosene discussion in another thread. It will contain info on turbine and reciprocating engines. Although both you and I , along with many contributors here already understand hexane , heptane , octane , B.M.E.P. , A.D.I. , E.P.R. , N-1 , N-2 , bypass ratios , P.R.T.s ( in R3350s ) , not everyone does. This is all in hopes that this old dog can learn a new trick in running his 4.5-4.7:1 compression cars on alternate fuels , with the attendant benefit of better pulling grades on the long drives I enjoy out West here. ( Maybe I would be better off just going to BB 1 carburation ). Always eager to glean wisdom from you gents who have been doing this day in and day out , as I have only done sporadically. Also some of you guys are also fortunate to be even older than I am. But , man and boy , have I ever had some unusual experiences. Put my Blazer on its side at 15,000' in the Peruvian Andes. ( I used to climb mountains in South America with British and U.S. embassy personnel) . That necessitated a 13 man/day pick and shovel winching operation ! You bet I can flock up , amigo. Yeah , you just bet I can. Very young and very strong then , old guys. You and I would drop everything to be able to go back and do it again , eh ? Did I ever tell you about the time ............................. Oops , wish I could sit down and have my allotted 1/2 lite beer occasionally ( poor health) , with each of you . Particularly guys like yourself , Dandy , Bernie , Dave C. , and other great guys who not only share their valuable expertise , but also allow familiarity through humor and exposition of their personalities. You are a treasure , and among the perhaps the 1/2 dozen or so posters who I eagerly await , and who's every posting I gratefully read. And , yup , I did indeed get a good belly laugh at myself from the above quote ! Thanks , Rusty , I hope to get back to you soon with octane insights. Thanks , all you wonderful guys and gals . I had a good nap , a good laugh , and don't seem to need pain pills today. - Carl

So , Envoy , are you in Texas , but both of the cars are far from you ? Somehow that Swiss Cheese that passes for my brain thought that the cars were local to you . Makes a difference. A big difference. If so , go see them if you can. If not find a highly capable , experienced surrogate. Many of us have done just that. I got one of my very enjoyable , complicated Mercedes Benz that way , and it is sweet. Weather is good , but it sounds like you are busy and the adventure of driving one home is probably not in the cards. By the way , an original 10 footer needs no apology in any camp , and an easily replaceable upholstery button is not a deal breaker. Is your heart and head coalescing around one of these cars yet ? I actually feel the thrill of your hunt . As I say , if I could have just one , I've picked it . But based on the still scant info , I'll refrain , since I am not you. I'm just - Carl

So , Envoy , are you in Texas , but both of the cars are far from you ? Somehow that Swiss Cheese that passes for my brain thought that the cars were local to you . Makes a difference. A big difference. If so , go see them if you can. If not find a highly capable , experienced surrogate. Many of us have done just that. I got one of my very enjoyable , complicated Mercedes Benz that way , and it is sweet. Weather is good , but it sounds like you are busy and the adventure of driving one home is probably not in the cards. By the way , an original 10 footer needs no apology in any camp , and an easily replaceable upholstery button is not a deal breaker. Is your heart and head coalescing around one of these cars yet ? I actually feel the thrill of your hunt . As I say , if I could have just one , I've picked it . But based on the still scant info , I'll refrain , since I am not you. I'm just - Carl

Carl,

I'm leaning more towards the Reo.  I like that the Buick has been fully and meticulously restored - and all of that work is documented - but it is relatively expensive and doesn't have the history that this specific Reo has.  I wouldn't feel bad about working on the Reo myself, and I know that down the road I can do my own restoration job if I feel so inclined.  And as others have mentioned, it is a namesake that is long gone, which ads to its uniqueness. 

I intend to make a trip up to VT to see the car before I move forward...it's a bit pricey of a trip, but it would be worthwhile to sit down with the current owner (he's 85) and learn more about the car's history.  He's been around that car since 1941, and has owned it since "somewhere between the 70's and the 90's." 

The REO would pique my interest more due to originality and long term care it has received.

The Buick is nice, more powerful but a lot pricier and IMHO at the top of the market for a non Classic closed car. It's been on ebay a couple times so I think the market is trying to tell the seller that as well.

Guest AlCapone

I have numerous pre 1935 cars in my collection. By far rhe Fords are the easy ones to get parts for and cheap. The Chevrolets are a close second. The Chrysler and Buick are quite a bit more difficult to find and sometimes near impossible. That makes the Chrysler and Buick parts much more expensive. As was once said to me, there is a Model A wheel and transmission in just about every barn ! This is not the case with the Buick and Chrysler. Wayne

I hesitate to chip in with an opinion because I have never owned either a Buick or REO from the thirties.

But, my personal preference would be to the REO because I like the rarer, less known cars and because everything I have heard, indicates REO made a very durable, quality car. So much so, that they eventually found they could not compete with cheaper cars, and went to making heavy trucks exclusively.

A little research seems to indicate that both cars had engines of about the same size and power but REO used a Continental flathead six and Buick their own make OHV straight eight. This makes me want the REO even more. If it was a typical assembled car with parts sourced from major suppliers it may be easier to get parts than the Buick. If they made their own parts, you have to go to Buick for them and their supplies ran out years ago.

If I could confirm that REO used a Continental six, and that Continental parts are still available, and that other mechanical units like brakes, transmission, rear axle etc were also "open source" so to speak it would make the REO more desirable.

Other than that it is a matter of condition, price, and preference.

Given the excellent original condition of the REO, and the difference in price, it would definitely be my choice,

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)