First snow. Gotta love this.

Dave Mellor NJ

Guest Skyking

The first year I moved to Florida, RI had over 100 inches of snow. I was sure glad that crap was over for me until my wife wanted to move back. I had to put up with it for another 15 years. Now since retiring I'm out of here, back to the south for winter's. I didn't even like snow that much as a kid. After the first snowfall, everything is dirty and ugly until spring.

Mr. Skyking, I agree that vehicles and especially salt

can make the snow dirty and ugly. But away from those

areas, doesn't the snow stay clean? And if your climate

provides a new covering every couple of days, it stays white.

Why do some people think of normal amounts of snow as bad? Do they

think the same of normal amounts of rain, or sun, or autumn leaves?

Guest Skyking

Why do some people think of normal amounts of snow as bad? Do they

think the same of normal amounts of rain, or sun, or autumn leaves?

Read post #1, that should give you a clue.

I like spring and summer, that's it. Everything after that is messy!

Totally Agree. Late spring which is after the mud goes away, Summer, and early fall before the weather drops below 60 during the day, and the cold artic wind kicks up. When it is too cold for Flip Flops, It is time to get ye old self to a warmer climate. Dandy Dave!

Guest AlCapone

I live in Canada and we have guests from Florida staying with us for the week. Today it is minus 7 and has snowed off and on all day with 3 or 4 white outs. The lady has in her 69 years only seen snow on television and in papers and magazines. She loves it and sits near the window and gives us a running commentary. Her husband used a self propelled snowblower for the First time and wanted as many pictures as possible. My neighbor suggested that the crap has returned and the lady referred to it as a winter wonderland. Once again one man's passion is another man's poison.Wayne

Yeah but the snow from thousands of years is melting in the ice caps.

Isn't that why the summer Antarctic expedition got iced in and it's 20 degrees below normal here with several weeks with 3 or more days below zero for several weeks in a row last winter. I think someone is feeding us a line and making us pay for it as well! Next several weeks look to be 10 degrees below normal as well and Lake Ontario froze over last winter because of all that melting. LOL

Guest Skyking
Isn't that why the summer Antarctic expedition got iced in and it's 20 degrees below normal here with several weeks with 3 or more days below zero for several weeks in a row last winter. I think someone is feeding us a line and making us pay for it as well! Next several weeks look to be 10 degrees below normal as well and Lake Ontario froze over last winter because of all that melting. LOL

The more they are trying to convince us about GW, the colder it's getting. This past summer was cooler than normal and look how cold it is now. They sure can't convince me.

Evidently people's love of winter depends on their experience,

or on their outlook. I remember in college, seeing some foreign

students on the first 45-degree morning of the fall semester,

all bundled up with winter coats and scarves!

In comparison, after one winter's week of single-digit highs, 25 seemed

almost tropical, and I went out to the mailbox without a coat.

Evidently people's love of winter depends on their experience,

or on their outlook. I remember in college, seeing some foreign

students on the first 45-degree morning of the fall semester,

all bundled up with winter coats and scarves!

In comparison, after one winter's week of single-digit highs, 25 seemed

almost tropical, and I went out to the mailbox without a coat.

College young un's from a land that never goes below 70F. Try retrieving a dead snow cat off of a ski mountain next to a snow maker running full bore in the absolute dead of old man winter. I guess that is why my old bones ache when the temps go below freezing. Did this in my 20's and 30's. Never again. Dandy Dave!

Guest Skyking

I remember years ago a man restored a Model A Ford outside in the cold of winter. He didn't have a garage and the cold didn't bother him. I believe he's not with us anymore. The things some people do........

College young un's from a land that never goes below 70F. Try retrieving a dead snow cat off of a ski mountain next to a snow maker running full bore in the absolute dead of old man winter. I guess that is why my old bones ache when the temps go below freezing. Did this in my 20's and 30's. Never again. Dandy Dave!

Or how about getting a flat tire on a tow dolly at -11 degrees while traveling alone down I-94. Hopefully, never again!

Or how about getting a flat tire on a tow dolly at -11 degrees while traveling alone down I-94. Hopefully, never again!

The coldest I have have experienced; was when I worked as an underground coal miner.

I was certified to inspect the mine for a buildup of explosive gas and oxygen deficiency. I won't get too technical here; but outside air has to be pulled or forced through a mine to expel any explosive gas and to bring oxygen in. To do this, huge fans are were setup (in the exhaust side), (in our mine) to pull huge quantities of outside air in. So at the other end of the mine there was an intake shaft or slope, where the air entered.

On any day below freezing that huge amount of air traveling at a swift velocity, (which I had to calculate), in that passage way (entry-way), was really really cold. When the outside temps would get around zero degrees; it was so cold that you could not breath. I made my calculations as fast as I could possibly do it. They had to be exact, no fudging.

Then I proceeded to travel into the mine, from that intake slope, in that stream of cold, frozen air, to my next calculation point. It got warmer the farther I went in.

But here is the kicker, At the halfway point of the work shift I had to travel out the same way. Getting harder and colder until I reached outside. All the while that cold freezing air was blasting me in the face going out. Even if it was below zero degrees, when I got out, to the outside air, without that velocity of air it felt like a summer day.

intimepold

Once had -40F on a weather station thermometer just a few hundred yards from where I was living. Bout the only thing that would run in the neighborhood was my old 250 CID 1975 Chevy Nova. All that new iron would only grunt a little and die. Dandy Dave!

The coldest I've lived in was minus 45 degrees actual temp in northern Wisconsin in the early 80s.I was used to cold weather in Illinois, and loved it up north for 12 years but I was glad that day was a weekend and that my home was warm and I was off work!

kaycee

My wife's 3 year old car's radiator froze up on a Minnesota freeway (494 at 2AM) in the early 80's. The antifreeze was only good to -40, the slush would not let the hot coolant circulate -- the high temp light came on.

That was the -45 night and I heard one town got -47, with a wind chill factor it could have been around -60 or lower.

If the weather does what the prognosticators say it will, I would be very concerned about the weight of very wet snow on my roof if I lived there. I live in the Canadian "Riviera". It is about 5 Celsius and raining at the moment. There is no snow in the forecast for the foreseeable future. We usually don't get snow until after Christmas - we've had something like 8 white Christmases in the last 40+ years.

Terry

My wife's 3 year old car's radiator froze up on a Minnesota freeway (494 at 2AM) in the early 80's. The antifreeze was only good to -40, the slush would not let the hot coolant circulate -- the high temp light came on.

That was the -45 night and I heard one town got -47, with a wind chill factor it could have been around -60 or lower.

You Need a Pizza box to cover the front of the radiator. We covered radiators all the time on farm tractors and bulldozers to keep the Anti Freeze moving and engines warm. Especially diesels. Dandy Dave!

At those temperatures you cover the radiator 100%,,,,The fan blowing air around

at the rear of the fins is enough to cool it,,,dont take of the belt it might get hot,,

Driving Rolls,silver ghost at -20 i left 2'' open at the top and it was a good ride,,

hot air coming through the OPEN floorboard,,Left foot wey over to the left to get

warm air from behind the ex manifold ,, up the pant leg,,[this was a rt. dr. open

limo][Mayfair],,Hands got cold so traded hands under the old racoon long coat,,

Yes it was a hand cranker,,usually on 3rd pull,,I drove that one 53,000 mi

Cheers,,Ben

• 2 weeks later...