Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I was not able to drive either of my 1925 Buicks to the Strongsville meet. But I was able to drive this 1926-48 Coupe for one of my Judging Team members. At the last minute the A,B,and C classes were moved from the parking lot to a hilly lawn in front of the venue. He was very leary about driving it over a curb and up a grassy slope to position it. So I did get to Drive a Buick at the meet!

DSC01456.JPG.b8d7c26a73b883da022bcb1a2e041201.JPG

DSC01467.JPG.1c93f8a8d5c69e98196c69781d90c763.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, 364nailhead said:

Got her home today safely. Around 500 miles wow! Thanks to some of these guys on here who helped me out with the car to be able to make the trip. Thank You! 

IMG_20240714_111626413.jpg

I was there too, and had a good look at your beautiful car! Glad it got you home safely!

Keith

• Like 2

We got home a little while ago from the National, and despite a few hiccups here and there (not from the car though!) we had a fabulous time! Kudos the everyone who worked hard to putt this together and the judges who spent hours in the hot sun looking over the cars.

Our trip was just about 620 miles round trip and the car did great, the new AC compressor kept as cool as we liked and the engine kept it's cool too, despite the long lines at the border crossing.

Here's a couple of pics of it, at the show, and doing what it likes best, drinking premium at the gas station.

ElectraGas1.jpg.5755a2c1fdc5742debc707da435a26e8.jpgElectraGas2.jpg.413e77760ce0e78844edf48ca532d4ff.jpgElectraShow1.jpg.bcea53fa139ef6cf92f80e0bce7f226f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed meeting some of you for the first time and seeing several of you again. I was at just under 650 miles round trip and thank goodness for AC that works! I left Strongsville at 7am and it was 67 degrees. Arrived home around 12:30pm and it was already 92! The ‘71 showed why Buicks were meant to be driven. Such a nice highway cruiser.

IMG_4731.jpeg

IMG_4552.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

@KAD36 and I teamed-up for the trip from NY to OH.  My first BCA national -- and it won't be the last!  ;)

image.jpeg.4350a317317494a0fbdd948a9e0cc

Thanks again to all from the NE Ohio chapter for a tremendously successful show.  I heard the last count was close to 380 cars!  Wide variety of Buicks of all generations and models.  I'm now a new BCA member and really enjoyed helping-out with the judging task.  That's something that I hadn't really considered before, but was really interesting and most importantly fun!  My takeaway is this: don't sell your car short; have it judged; it will likely do better than you might think.  ;)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

really enjoyed helping-out with the judging task.  That's something that I hadn't really considered before, but was really interesting and most importantly fun!  My takeaway is this: don't sell your car short; have it judged; it will likely do better than you might think.

^— X2. Learned a lot and our team captain Don Adams provided insightful guidance and was great to work with.  Would do it again.

• Like 4

The GS was a blast to drive. Last night I had a really good time with it!

Route 15 in PA is a wide 2 lane, with straight stretches between left and right curves. To get there from where we last filled up and had a bite to eat I had to take a bunch of side roads with detours. It was 100 miles from the restaurant and 830 pm when we got back on the road.

Since the last time I drove it any significant distance I had installed boxed rear outer control arms, a rear anti sway bar, new front upper control arm bushings. I also put in new shocks, although I don't remember the brand. 

Well, we were cruising along at 55 mph on those twisty back roads and the GS stayed flat. Then we got on RT15 and in a mile or two I thought it would be helpful to get behind the two cars up ahead and get the benefits of their headlights to see better.  This turned out to be no problem for the 400.

Within minutes I was 4 car lengths behind. Stayed there for several miles when I realized I was too close. So it was a choice between lagging behind or taking the lead. That's when I noticed how much fun it was to cut to the inside lanes in all the turns.

Once in front I also realized the one SUV guy seemed to have his brights on.  That was blinding.  And I noticed the next set of taillights about a Mile ahead. I decided to put that guy between me and those brights.  The GS apparently agreed. 

Turn after turn I increased the distance between us and that headlight honcho.  Seemed like a few minutes later I passed the guy ahead on an inside left turn. NEXT!

WELL...the more I made those turns and listened to the hum of the exhaust reverberating off the concrete barrier, the more fun I was having!  And the GS was showing what my car was built for!

What a ride!  Damn!  

When I got to the end I apologized to Sharon if I had made her nervous.  She said, what makes you think I was nervous. This car really handles well!

When I filled it this am I was expecting to find 9 MPG or worse. Instead it pulled 16.1.  Granted, no AC at the time but it was the best mileage of the trip. 

And as we neared home I filled it again and it was still getting 16.1.  

All I can think is ...GO BUICK!...

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

Drove this a little in Strongsville.

Sorry I missed you, Ted.  And those drool stains on the driver's side window were mine...  :wub:

I got to see Pete and his 'Cat when I picked-up the R-12 he brought for me.  Both his and your Wildcat are awesome!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KAD36 said:

Learned a lot and our team captain Don Adams

I really wanted to call his phone just to watch him answer it...

Don Adams in Get Smart (1965) | Don adams, 60s tv shows, Old tv shows

• Haha 3

On 7/15/2024 at 4:22 PM, JohnD1956 said:

The GS was a blast to drive. Last night I had a really good time with it!

Route 15 in PA is a wide 2 lane, with straight stretches between left and right curves. To get there from where we last filled up and had a bite to eat I had to take a bunch of side roads with detours. It was 100 miles from the restaurant and 830 pm when we got back on the road.

Since the last time I drove it any significant distance I had installed boxed rear outer control arms, a rear anti sway bar, new front upper control arm bushings. I also put in new shocks, although I don't remember the brand. 

Well, we were cruising along at 55 mph on those twisty back roads and the GS stayed flat. Then we got on RT15 and in a mile or two I thought it would be helpful to get behind the two cars up ahead and get the benefits of their headlights to see better.  This turned out to be no problem for the 400.

Within minutes I was 4 car lengths behind. Stayed there for several miles when I realized I was too close. So it was a choice between lagging behind or taking the lead. That's when I noticed how much fun it was to cut to the inside lanes in all the turns.

Once in front I also realized the one SUV guy seemed to have his brights on.  That was blinding.  And I noticed the next set of taillights about a Mile ahead. I decided to put that guy between me and those brights.  The GS apparently agreed. 

Turn after turn I increased the distance between us and that headlight honcho.  Seemed like a few minutes later I passed the guy ahead on an inside left turn. NEXT!

WELL...the more I made those turns and listened to the hum of the exhaust reverberating off the concrete barrier, the more fun I was having!  And the GS was showing what my car was built for!

What a ride!  Damn!  

When I got to the end I apologized to Sharon if I had made her nervous.  She said, what makes you think I was nervous. This car really handles well!

When I filled it this am I was expecting to find 9 MPG or worse. Instead it pulled 16.1.  Granted, no AC at the time but it was the best mileage of the trip. 

And as we neared home I filled it again and it was still getting 16.1.  

All I can think is ...GO BUICK!...

That's awesome John! They are great cars when you have everything right and you sure do!

Thanks for sharing that part of the trip with us!

Keith

• Like 1

Out driving our '13 Buick with about 100 persons and about 45 cars with a local HCCA club. 

Today was a sunshiny day with the temperatures in the mid 90's and sunshine.  Sunshine and good roads today and about 105 miles. 

Sunshine and torrential rain yesterday driving about 96 miles, but fun for all. 

Besides adults, we had quite few children and grandchildren including our two grandsons on the tour with us.

Here are a few pictures showing that nothing stops this group.

image000001 (1).jpg

image000000 (5).jpg

9e4ed413-5118-450d-a71c-f45faa5587fb.jpg

image000000 (6).jpg

image000001 (2).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Should have added,

For the humor for the day, at lunch we had a young woman, maybe 20 come and talk to us about the car.  She said she like the car and it was really different, but.....her last question was an inquiry is if the car had air conditioning.  I told her sure, no windows & 35 MPH.  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well we finished the week of touring/driving with a 65 mile run.  Weather was beautiful, but warm.  Ended up with over 400 miles for the week and the only issue was missing a hood hold down bolt.  Great tour.  Odometer below for the no pictures, didn't happen.  We started the week at 1006 miles on the odometer.  That is 1,423 miles so far this year.

image000000 (7).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Well we finished the week of touring/driving with a 65 mile run.  Weather was beautiful, but warm.  Ended up with over 400 miles for the week and the only issue was missing a hood hold down bolt.  Great tour.  Odometer below for the no pictures, didn't happen.  We started the week at 1006 miles on the odometer.  That is 1,423 miles so far this year.

image000000 (7).jpg

Hey Larry, what model GPS is that unit?

It's been a good weekend for driving Buicks so far. I've been tinkering with the Reatta with a couple of things I bought at the National and I thought it might have fixed the issues, but no, after some miles it started acting up again. However I did get it finally turn 280,000 kms, which is a bit under 174,000 miles, anyway you count it that is a fair bit of driving.

KeithReattaHome.jpg.008ae5fe1dd527b8df12888f958cc322.jpgReattaSunset.jpg.997a9c159f5383e49bf67b06e7adf645.jpgReatta280Kms.jpg.ee075d58a20150c00ad6c87d2da23ab8.jpgReattaMiles.jpg.bec9c3c9db00633ad7650eedb55e5539.jpg

• Like 4

Then I had the 41 McLaughlin Buick out to wash it as myself and it are invited to a friend's 60th Wedding Anniversary tomorrow, then I took it around the block to get it warmed up and make sure all is well. Which it was, and the car was running great.

Buick41Raodside.jpg.6a85bb27a1e0c232af80f92b5d56de95.jpg

• Like 9

Not having done enough driving after the Gilmore and Strongsville last week I went to the Hemming's Cruise-In in Bennington on Thursday. Lots of fine cars there, including a few bone stock pickups like the one parked next to me. I don't see those very often. There were two other Skylarks similar to mine, but 1965s. One even had the same color scheme as mine! Also present were two others, a '69 and a '71 convertible if my memory serves me. 

IMG_2111.jpeg.2b6a4faf3ee862ee48867761e9a6a3af.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machine Gun said:

Not having done enough driving after the Gilmore and Strongsville last week I went to the Hemming's Cruise-In in Bennington on Thursday.

So, what's the trip mileage total from Gilmore onward so far?  Sounds like you have the 'lark is dialed-in now!  ;)

On 7/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, 38Buick 80C said:

Like Larry I didn't drive my Buick's... But I did get to drive these 1940 versions of my Buicks, so....

PXL_20240713_000244737.jpg

PXL_20240712_234854983.jpg

I love the ridge down the center.  Rare car. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, EmTee said:

So, what's the trip mileage total from Gilmore onward so far?  Sounds like you have the 'lark is dialed-in now!  ;)

Total mileage since I left home for Gilmore and returned from Bennington was 1,855 miles. Those were my last planned road trips for this year. The car has earned a rest.

As for being dialed in, it's nearly there. It's always "nearly there." The line approaching total completion is an asymptote. The latest is a failed carburetor dashpot/switch assembly. I have one on order.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Machine Gun said:

As for being dialed in, it's nearly there. It's always "nearly there." The line approaching total completion is an asymptote.

That's why it's called a 'hobby'!  :P

• Haha 2

Bev and I registered our 1915 McLaughlin c25 touring car for the Old Car Festival in September and need to start sorting it out.  We have a 15 miles trip we call around the country block, we did it twice Saturday.  The McLaughlin steers and stop straight, has a sheet metal rattle I think I know what causes it, the engine starts quickly and runs cool and the car looks great.  This car took six years to restore from a very good older restoration.  The McLaughlin seems to cruise at 30-32 MPH by GPS.

Bev and I hosted a one and two cylinder tour, Snapper's AACA event, last week.  We had the ten vehicles at our house in Charing Cross for a coffee break.

I tried my hand at operating a 1901 Locomobile steam powered car.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1052k.JPG

DSC_1049k.JPG

DSC_0976h.JPG

DSC_0994k.JPG

• Like 6