Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Buying some Ortho Poison Ivy Killer was a good enough reason to take the '60 Electra for a 30 mile round trip on the back roads along the Erie Canal and a lot of apple orchards yesterday. Over to Albion, New York, another old canal town. Shoulda brought the camera.

All the stuff is put away in the garage now, 55 degrees, rainy, and dark enough so you need a light on to put water in a glass at the sink.

Bernie

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Took the Wagon 236 miles yesterday.  Went to a U Pull It yard in Binghamton, NY. Young son was after a set of chrome rims for his 2000 Regal. Being a U Pull It place they said the car was there,  but they dont inventory parts,  so did not know if the wheels still were.  So we took the chance and used the wagon in case he could get all 4 rims. 

The rims were there but we soon found they had wheel locks and the key was missing. So came home empty handed. Today I took the Regal GS 262 miles for a family picnic.  Two great Buick drives! Not one picture!

Next time take your impact sockets and a 5 lb sledge hammer with you.  Find the socket that barely fits over the lock and beat it over the lock. Then it's a simple matter of putting the breaker bar on the socket and removing the lock.  Loosen all the other bolts first, less pressure on the lock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

over 104 Buicks were driven on Sunday to our 40th annual Long Island Buick chapter show. 

the oldest vehicles were a 1916 D45 and  a 1916 truck a great turn out of prewar

we had great weather, great people attending Beautiful Buicks and great members helping to run the show.

thanks to all who attended.

i drove my 57 and in taking the advice as discussed on the forums my daughter drove my Pace Car and her boyfriend got to try out the Reatta,

the only problem is now she is talking about my will lol

for more pics check out our website libuickclub.org  they will be uploaded soon

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0507.JPG

DSC_0498.JPG

IMG_20190526_154555358_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190526_161717120_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I’m interested in seeing the 1916 truck.  I saw a blurry photo on Facebook...I’ve never seen one done in two tone red and white before, so I’m curious to get the story on the truck, whether someone painted it their own way, or a “new” truck has sprung up.

Thanks for sharing.  I’ve had the same issue with daughter and cars....

Yesterday, after giving it a lube and safety check on the lift, I took my 08 Model F Buick (Ruby) for a test drive around the neighborhood.  I installed new transmission band linings and wanted to make sure all was OK before the KISS 1&2 cylinder tour in three weeks.  She ran great and is ready to tour this summer.

08 Model F on Lift.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Our local chapter linked up with the Caddy Club and another multimake club for a tour to the Northeast Classic Car museum, in Norwich, NY today.  I was going to take the '56 till the weather forecast called for up to 90% chance of rain this afternoon,  so I switched to the Queen.  I did not get any pictures of the Electra for a few reasons I won't go into.  It was a nice ride and the museum does have a nice collection on display.  

I did document this museum once before, several years ago, so I did not take new photos of the many same cars.  But here's some pictures you may find of interest. 

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (1).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (2).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (3).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (4).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (5).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (6).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (7).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (8).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (9).JPG

• Like 2

In one room there was a display of NY State built vehicles, including this camper which was built locally in Norwich, NY.  I think the car in the 2nd photo is a 40 Buick, although it could be a Chevy.  

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (44).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (45).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (46).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (47).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (48).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (49).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (50).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (51).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (52).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (53).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (54).JPG

6-1-2019 Northeast classic car museum (55).JPG

• Like 3

Last Thurs, we had a rare mid week tour. Since most of the Club members are retired, it worked out well. Since the start was so far from where  we live, and they were driving toward us, we met at the restaurant for lunch, and travelled with the group to our stop, which was an amazing collection of vintage music machines. I use that term, as there were all sorts, more than most of can imagine.

Radios from the early days up to the 60's, vintage TV sets, including one that looked nearly identical to the first one we got when I was a kid. Juke boxes, and various other music making machines, based on the same princible as a music box. Recording from wax cylinders to flat records, the first of which were only single sided, till around 1907, when the second side was pressed as well.

I've pictured a piano that was documented as built in Paris in 1834, and as I play piano, that interested me. But the bigest, and most impressive was a huge player orchestra, run like a player piano, with a roll of cards that feed through the reader, and make the pipes play. Rather like a pipe organ, quite an amazing machine from very early 20th century, I believe, and built in Belgium. Run off of compressed air. That is what the gentleman collects, and she collects salt dishes, I've pictured part of her collection as well.

Great hosts, and all of these items were clean, extremely well presented, looked beautiful, and most worked as well.

About 150 miles on the '41 Roadmaster, I've put quite a few already this year.

Keith

Buick41Line.jpg

Buick41Close.jpg

Buick41BigPlayer.jpg

Buick41Mile.jpg

Buick41Piano.jpg

Buick41Radios.jpg

Buick41Salt1.jpg

Buick41Salt2.jpg

Buick41TVs.jpg

Buick41TwoTrump.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Took part in what is reported to be the last fundraiser car show at Mr Steve Plunkett's home driving the secondary roads for about 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Used my GPS to aid with directions and gauge my speed.

Going to address my speedometer issue over the winter...

IMG_4960.thumb.JPG.9135fc0a8877dc178d9cc9535248a6b4.JPG

The day started out fine and with two friends as passengers the time flew by.

With possible showers in the forecast left the top up as we were walking around the large grounds looking at cars. I don't run as fast as I used to if it did rain and had to go back to put the top up! 

IMG_4955.thumb.JPG.6c2ec8aad3eb880eef488841be46b66d.JPG

Lot's to see, dream about and eat... 

The Special performed well giving me more confidence for the drive to the 2020 National.

The day was long and while driving home experienced what I believe was a tornado! Trees went down, plowed fields seem to be sand blasting us and one tree almost hit us while going down the highway.

IMG_4961.thumb.JPG.6adb7eb2ebe345be656b2a280bbd20d4.JPG

Managed to get home undamaged but it was tense.

IMG_4962.thumb.JPG.2f42072b804b8f5b467ce47294f4f8cb.JPG

Will be cleaning her up today after cutting a few lawns first...

• Like 2

Doug;  Bev and I were thinking of you Saturday, lucky the storms held until your trip home.  We went to the Chatham Airport for an airshow with our '39, sorry no photos.  A thunderstorm after lunch was brief but severe, happy for you and thanks for posting pictures from London.

Regards, Gary

ps.  We plan to attend Essex next week, likely see you then.

• Thanks 1

About 20 feet, round trip in the Riviera today.

More LED lighting.

002.thumb.JPG.ea01fdb6a83823559f56644102bd413b.JPG

If it wasn't for disarray we would have no array.

Those two big wood lamination's on the right are old bowling alley  decks that will soon be hinged to the wall for paint mixing benches. I try to avoid permanent flat surfaces. I don't handle them well.

Bernie

• Haha 1

Oh I have you beat hands down in disarray.  About the only thing not is the bar and antique addition. I basically have 3 shops that things get moved to each other depending if I need space in the wood, metal, or car shop for a project. Hopefully that will change when the new garage goes up and I can take one stall of the old garages for material.  Any flat surface bigger then a paint can lid is good storage !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Any flat surface bigger then a paint can lid is good storage !

"Therein lies the rub",

FSS, Flat Surface Syndrome.

But how can the same person have OCD when it comes to the Phillips head screws in the windshield trim?  AND why would a Wife ask such a question?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know this doesn't quite fit the heading but thought it was fitting with taking the car for a ride on my trailer since I have had MANY drives in her before coming to this.... (yes I'm getting old...)

IMG_4984.thumb.JPG.1539657b13b10624e907b8aeffb7d86a.JPG

• Like 1

Needed an "excuse" to get out at 6 am and make a drive in the wonderful 67 degree morning. So went and got a donut.  Not many mornings this cool left for us in Texas till late September. Turned into a question and answer session at the donut shop but by far the best one was  "So you drove 8 miles one way in your old car just to get a donut?"      I am guessing not many people these days get too enjoy an early morning drive with the windows down and the sounds and smells you get to experience in an old car.  You either get it or you don't.

20190608_060211001.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

"So you drove 8 miles one way in your old car just to get a donut?"

I can hear the snap of the leather change purse he carries in his overall chest pocket and the nickel tip hit the counter.

Around here the barber doesn't even trim the hair out of those guy's ears. (That's how they mark 'em).

I made a 10 mile round trip for coffee and French bread toasted this morning. The Buick was in the back and up on the ramp.

008.thumb.JPG.d5a70eb82ecc1daacb69e80e934082ec.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Like the portable ramp.  Who sells them ?

That is a Kwiklift: https://www.kwik-lift.com/

There are fairly common used in the $1,000 range. A friend of mine bought one about three years ago and loves it. I found mine on Craigslist about six miles from my house for $800.

A floor jack under the black bar levels it off the 20" and a set of support legs swing down. I leave the floor jack under the bar when I can and also slide a pair of 6 ton jack stands under the ramps.

I will be washing whitewalls and vacuuming carpets with it elevated today.

Oh, portable is kind of a stretch.

It complements the scissors lift really well.

009.thumb.JPG.b1e1bdf9c150102ee54b9ef26ab877f6.JPG

Took the Limited to the Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac show this afternoon. Good turnout, maybe 200 cars, all three brands well represented. Only a handful of pre-war cars, with the oldest being a '26 Buick sedan that was pretty nice. Lots of modified cars, quite a few late-model Firebirds, and even several brand new Buicks. We stayed as long as we could, but it was hot and the kids were restless. Four hours was enough to see it all anyway. Nice to take the car out for an extended drive and it behaved flawlessly all the way. Thanks for a fun show, Northeast Ohio Buick Club!

BuickShow1.thumb.jpg.5e75668040fcc363c3b366516eec5913.jpg BuickShow3.thumb.jpg.80790987afb2fe937bdf1ccafc3fc4bc.jpg BuickShow5.thumb.jpg.68e94fd699b5bea964855af8b49e56a3.jpg BuickShow4.thumb.jpg.9750be50583a95f9fc645f7839c4e148.jpg

My personal favorite car at the show was this neat plain Jane Skylark with the aluminum 3.5 liter V8 and a 4-speed. Talk about a Q-ship!

62208985_10218671588479035_8934770408024965120_n.thumb.jpg.5eae7ee47633179de2c1e3c917c8bcd5.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Was a nice evening this past Saturday.  Headed out to no where with the '56 but I got out so late it got too dark for most of the ride to catch any pictures.   Except this one I'll title: Into The Sunset...

2064680223_sunsetw56.thumb.JPG.143d43ed7c1386833a99fb68a89783b6.JPG

Sunday I got the Electra out for the day's travels.  If this were hockey that would make it a Hat Trick weekend...

• Like 5