Music at the shows

Guest lordairgtar

Guest lordairgtar

Hello everyone. Firrst, let me preface this with the statement that I am a Disc Jockey. I do not do Weddings, Bar Mitvahs, Anniversaries or any of that ilk. I only DJ car shows and cruise nights. I was at another thread where one complained about loud music that everyone hates. Pretty general statement I think. Now when I go into a show ground, I take great care in the setting up of speakers and the volume. I feel the DJ only provides an ambiance for the event....he is not the star or the show. The music should be at best be heard but at a level where one can converse with their friends, but still hear any important messages or announcements that need to be made. I know some have the unfortunate misfortune of having to be parked next to a speaker, but that can be worked out by parking elsewhere. Now, onto musical genre....Most car show DJs play a heavy rotation of 50s and 60s. My feeling is to play more of a mix reflecting age of attendees and type of cars in the show. If the show has a preponderance of 1940s era cars, I might include more Glen Miller or other big band music. Conversely, if I am at a show with a lot of 70s era muscle, I'm gonna play some guitar influenced rock from that era...so on and so forth. What are your feelings on this? Who were doing a great job DJing a show you were at? Who made it a pain to attend? ...and why? This is a learning thread for me as I am trying to improve my service and increase my saturation into the market. I want to be known as the go to guy for car show music. I've learned from long time DJs of shows and many are getting out because of changes in their lives and they are just wanting to spend their weekends with family. I have aleady gotten a couple of shows from retiring DJs who I respect. I know I am opening up the proverbial Pandora's Box, but I take all replies, good or bad. I am a member of the Wisconsin Street Rod Association and I DJ our yearly Labor Day Weekend event, too. I would also like to know from organisers what they are paying their DJs to do a show. I feel we car show DJs are less expensive than the wedding jocks. My last request is if you are looking for a SDJ to do your show, please hire the guy who does car shows as his main business. He or she will know what you need. I find that wedding DJ services who are trying to break in to the car show field really don't have a clue about what's expected.

Edited by lordairgtar (see edit history)

Personally I feel that having music at car shows is like having cars at a concert. The DJ, being a music guy, thinks everyone must like it so he often amps up the volume thinking bigger is better. Anything more than background I find irritating...................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

It sounds like you have the correct frame of mind about the music and the roll it plays in car shows/cruise-ins. It needs to be in the background. People come to talk to their friends and make new friends with similar interests.

Many years ago our now defunct Region had a local car show but used the AACA rules for judging. We lived to regret allowing a local street rod club to have their show in conjunction with our show. I was running the music at our show. I only turned the volume up to make announcements. They on the other hand had the very most obnoxious DJ that I have ever encountered. I walked over and very nicely asked him to turn their system down as our folks couldn't hear the announcements that I had to make. The guy laughed and cranked up the volume as I walked away. I hope that someday he has someone treat him as rudely as he treated me and see how he likes it.

I find all of it annoying. That said, I realize my taste is not in line with the general public. My late father was 1st voila of the RI Philharmonic Orchestra and I grew up in a world completely devoid of pop music. I wonder how many 50s & 60s guys would like it if I showed up at their event and played Motzart at ear splitting levels. Generally I don't like any of it and I especially resent it when its cranked up to being near painful (actually, I'd just go home or, more likely, drive right past the event). But, unless its so loud I can't think straight, I generally move as far from the loud speakers as I can and keep my mouth shut.

And... I like brass cars. I've haven't heard anything from the pre-WWI era for a very long time, so its really a matter of "there are more of us so you'll take what we like ..." I accept that. Its a bit rude, but about what I expect. Years ago we had two local events that included a brass band playing various popular tunes from the turn of the century through the 30s. Not being amplified, it never rose to the level of being obnoxious and contributed a nice "old fashioned" feel to the event. Sadly, this is no longer the case. One of the shows is long gone and the other has degenerated to featuring amplified 50s pop (which I detest).

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Loud music is painful for those with hearing aids and more and more older folks are having to wear them.

JV Puleo brings up the issue of different genres of music. People that believe that if a vehicle isn't a Model T it isn't an antique vehicle will not like the music from the '80s that now fits with the newest groups of vehicles accepted by the AACA for their Meets.

I have always been primarily a pre-war car collector. I recently purchased a 1950s car. Most of the car shows that have music do tend to heavily play music from the 1950s, which I may now appreciate a bit more. In all my years in the hobby, I have heard a lot of people complain about music at shows. My local chapter show has never used a DJ or played any music. I have never heard anybody complain about the lack of music. The best local shows in my opinions are those that don't have any music.

Guest billybird

I have mixed feelings about music at car events. I guess it depends on what mood I'm in that day. But a few observations: I prefer a DJ over live because live groups usually play too loud not to mention butchering a good song. I can be objective because I am actually a musician myself and play in a band. To be honest, I'm just wore out with noise in general. T.V's in the doctors office, gym, restaurants, etc. I mean whats wrong with a little peace & quiet? If music is going to be played at ANY event I prefer the 70's. Best decade in music hands down---prove me wrong. I know i've rambled but bottom line: any music at any event IMHO should be background and secondary unless its a concert. Just my thoughts.

The key is to keep the volume at the right level. Most people can tolerate any mix of music as long as it's not blasting them into the next county. I've often been stuck next to the DJ's speakers and it can be miserable.

Mozart at ear splitting levels
Make it Stravinsky or Holst and I'm all over it. Some music was just MEANT to be played loud- or as the 70s rock LPs often said on the cover "to be played at maximum volume".

This has long been one of my pet peeves, and kudos to our friend lordairgtr for understanding that the music isn't the show or even really necessary. He's in the minority, however. Our local cruise-in is quite large every Tuesday night (300-400 cars), and is so regular and well-attended that the parking lot owners have allowed them to string permanent wires and hang permanent speakers from the light poles. Then the DJ shows up and sets up his massive array of speakers and, well, I feel like this guy whenever I go there:

post-31138-143142219845_thumb.jpeg

It's DEAFENING, to the point where I park my car at the far end of the lot away from it just so I can have conversations. It's painful to walk up to get a hot dog or a drink next to the speakers, and for reasons I can't explain, the choice spots are RIGHT NEXT TO THE SPEAKERS. Maybe those guys are already deaf?

A big part of my problem is that my hearing was damaged in an explosion a few years ago (I'm down to about 20% in my right ear and about 70% in my left). The problem isn't that I can't hear sounds, but that I have limited "bandwidth." If there's just too much going on, I can't differentiate sounds very well, so while I'll hear your voice, it sounds kind of like someone has their TV on too loud in the apartment next door--I can't make out the words. This is even a problem, say, driving in a car with open windows where I often can't understand what my wife is saying to me (ha ha, make the jokes) and in movies where the actors use foreign accents, I can't understand them.

I'll also say that at Pebble Beach this year they played classical music as you'd expect, but I found even that to be a couple of notches too loud. They were just trying too hard and whenever the announcer broke in with a thundering voice from beyond, the crowd was frequently startled and cringing at the volume. Not elegant.

So yeah, I REALLY hate this. Low-key ambient music is typically OK, but making it the focal point of the event? Yeah, I'll pass. Instead of going to that local cruise night every week and supporting the hobby, I go twice a summer and then remember why I hate being there. If my voice is raw from shouting at a car show, they're doing it wrong.

So here's to you, Mr. Loud 50's Music DJ Guy:

yourenothelping.jpg

Guest cben09

How about a hike from the 50'sback to the 40's,,,Ford advertizing,,,

looking into the crystal ball,,The caption""There's a Ford in your future"",,,

Sat nite,,1hour,,program,, "" Early American Dance Music""

The hosts were Mr Tee,,an Mr Bradshaw,,band leader and caller

[Remember this is for square dance,,hence the Caller,,]]Really a good program

and fondly rememberd,,,

Is there anyone here that remembers that,,?? so long ago,,

I'm rootin for someone to put in a word for Scott Joplin

and E,P,Biggs playing raggs on the pedal Harpsichord,,

Zimmerman playing Joplin would be O-K too,,all 5 CDs

Are you O-K,,Do I need to call a Medik,,,Ben in Maine,,

P/S,,,I do NOT own a television,,don't tell J,,,haha

Guest bkazmer

I think music can enhance a meet if treated like period clothing, to add historical texture. To complicate DJ's lives, this would mean multiple speakers with independent feeds. Cars are generaly parked by class which is related to era. When you are near the brass cars you hear "In my Merry Oldsmobile", etc. I agree that the 55 - 65 fits all play list idea is very overused

Guest Skyking

Everybody's music is different. There's nothing worst that sitting or talking through music you do not like. As for me, the top 10 from every year has been played enough............. No music at shows is my vote.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I greatly dislike music at any show. It's like people need a distraction everywhere they go. I don't think you can even find a restaurant where there aren't televisions in every corner. I go to shows to talk to interesting people about interesting cars, not listen to antiquated music that was pretty bad when it came out and hasn't aged well with time.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. I also hate those stupid kid dolls that people lean up against their car. WTF is that all about?

I greatly dislike music at any show. It's like people need a distraction everywhere they go. I don't think you can even find a restaurant where there aren't televisions in every corner. I go to shows to talk to interesting people about interesting cars, not listen to antiquated music that was pretty bad when it came out and hasn't aged well with time.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. I also hate those stupid kid dolls that people lean up against their car. WTF is that all about?

Could not have said it better.

As long as the volume is not obnoxious, I do not find DJ's to be a problem. I think they are better than the amateur bands that do atrocious jobs of butchering the songs. Most shows will have 50's - 70's music, and that is what most of the cars are. But this DJ seems to have a good idea with matching the music to the cars.

I have always thought it was really cool when someone has a 1920's or 1940's car with music from that era set up for it. I always have Disco playing for mine on the 8-track.

Something that is interesting, but I have only heard a very few times is to throw in a few vintage car commercials. Dinah Shore for Chevy, Groucho for Desoto, etc.

"P.S. I also hate those stupid kid dolls that people lean up against their car. WTF is that all about?"

YOW! It's not just me about those kid dolls. Why in the Hell would someone want a doll that mimics an obnoxious brat crying?..........................Bob

Guest Skyking

There is a guy here that goes to cruises who fills his car with stuffed animals.............They are everywhere!! Strange people!

Sorry, I don't like music at car shows, period. I have stopped going to a lot of local ones because they play so loudly I can't carry on a normal conversation with someone or otherwise hear myself think.

Question: Do they blast music at the Concourse De Elgance events? I agree with John Maine, a quite conversation about automobiles with their owners is preferrable to somebody else's choice in loud music. You can also forget the bowling trophy with an old car on top. Instead take professional type photo's when we arrive get them done at a one hour place and give us a picture of us enjoying the event.

Loud music makes the music of a 100 year old automobile unheard. Remember many owners are more interesting than their cars.

maggie_valley_tragedy.jpg

Sorry, the light was too bright when I took the pic, but it wins Best of Show of doll displays. Back to the OP...

A smart DJ could really make a name and reputation by tailoring the tunes to the cars at the show, hard to do when there's a big mix of years of cars at typical shows. Background music can be a fine addition to any event, but you're at a car show, not going to a concert. At cruise-ins you might find some '20's to '80's cars but you usually get ubiquitous '50's-'60's music, usually too loud. At an AACA (or marque-specific club) show, car-wise you'll find vehicles from the early-1900's to the '80's (up to modern in most marque clubs). That's a lot of years and genres to cover musically but it could be done, as long as it's tasteful and not too loud.

There is the point already made about hearing both conversation and the cars running. Compare the engine-revving, flat-out noisemakers (with or without headers) at some shows to the puff-puff, dual exhaust burble of, say, a '57 Buick. There will be some loudness of Racing and Muscle cars at an AACA show, but there'll be a lot more burble of the original variety that lots of folks want to hear. Those sounds bring back memories as powerfully as any music can, and many just want to hear the cars as they pull in and later when they leave. That, and talk to their friends, old and new.

When played too loudly Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" is just as obnoxious as knowing that, "...she'll have Fun, Fun, Fun, till her daddy takes the T-Bird away," so it really depends on the crowd, the venue and the sound quality. Tailor it, keep it in the background, and music has its place...as long as it's not too loud!

Cool thread, lordairgtr, and thanks,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest billybird

I'm in total agreement with those who detest the stuffed dolls at cars. We are probably getting off topic here; but my pet peeve is those stupid fake bullet holes in NICE cars. I went to a cruise in lately and saw a AGNM SR. vehicle with one, just one of those fake bullet holes on it. What gives?

One of the things I have come to really dislike is the loud crappy music played at most car shows. Since the audience for forties music has died off and the audience for fifties music is mostly now in nursing homes, the same early sixties garbage gets played over and over again at ear splitting volume. The worst fate of all is to get placed anywhere near the speakers.

The AACA shows are less likely to have this than most other shows, but they are gaining.

Since somebody brought them up, those little stuffed dolls are moronic and the fake bullet holes are almost as bad.

Fuzzy dice are lame, as are those drive-in trays with fake food on them.

THERE! Is there anybody left that I haven't offended?

I've done the music for numerous car shows over the years. The important thing to have (in addition to reasonable volume) is VARIETY, going especially easy on types of music that can be divisive (disco, c&w, funk, blues, surf, etc.). That variety often best includes some things that are not music. Period commercials (especially for car-related items), brief comedy bits, news items, and sports clips make for a much more interesting experience. I once dj'ed a car show in Pittsburgh on the 40th anniversary of Bill Mazeroski's walk-off home run that won the 7th game of the 1960 World Series for the Pirates. I timed the tape of the 9th inning (all of about 90 seconds long, plus a 60 second commercial that preceded it at the time for the new 1961 Corvairs) to occur at the exact time of the original event. People stopped what they were doing and cheered.:D

For a more tony atmosphere live music (especially piano soloists) do very well.

No music at all makes for a more hollow experience for most people. It can never be distracting, but if it's missing (especially in urban/commercial venues like shopping centers) it is missed by most people,.

Thanks! I thought I was the only one that thought the cry-baby dolls and bullet holes were stupid. I love music but only when I can relax and listen to what I want to listen to. One day It might be country, another day it may be gospel or '50's pop or bluegrass or whatever. I even like to sing at gatherings and play piano and used to play guitar. Still I feel music is not why I go to car shows and interferes with carrying on conversations. I had a guy that used to bring a pickup to shows I staged and he had too many speakers in it and would crank the system up as soon as he got there. I finally told him one day to either turn the music off or leave. I also hate that stuff they play in fast food restaurants and don't understand why they always have a speaker that is too loud in the rest room. When people force you to listen to their choice of music in public it is like what you think does not matter. Kind of like telling me I have to vote for the candidate you prefer.

No music at all makes for a more hollow experience for most people.

In your opinion. Most of us disagree. We don't need to be aurally stimulated everywhere we go.

No, there is no idiotic music at Concours venues, nor are there idiotic dolls or fake bullet holes, nor truck nuts.

Guest billybird
One of the things I have come to really dislike is the loud crappy music played at most car shows. Since the audience for forties music has died off and the audience for fifties music is mostly now in nursing homes, the same early sixties garbage gets played over and over again at ear splitting volume. The worst fate of all is to get placed anywhere near the speakers.

The AACA shows are less likely to have this than most other shows, but they are gaining.

Since somebody brought them up, those little stuffed dolls are moronic and the fake bullet holes are almost as bad.

Fuzzy dice are lame, as are those drive-in trays with fake food on them.

THERE! Is there anybody left that I haven't offended?

Yes; one more. How about those who over do it with trophies, model cars, magazines, and everything else they can find to set up around the car?

Guest lordairgtar
Personally I feel that having music at car shows is like having cars at a concert. The DJ, being a music guy, thinks everyone must like it so he often amps up the volume thinking bigger is better. Anything more than background I find irritating...................Bob

I agree. Yes, I'm a music guy, but I'm a car guy too. The music is background to the event....not the show.

Yes; one more. How about those who over do it with trophies, model cars, magazines, and everything else they can find to set up around the car?

That's not allowed at Concours, either.

How about people that prop their hoods open so we can see all the gleaming bits that they've tacked onto their engines. Looks like a friggin' used car lot at most shows. Close your hoods, people. Nobody cares that you broke your bank paying the chrome bill.

Guest lordairgtar
That's not allowed at Concours, either.

How about people that prop their hoods open so we can see all the gleaming bits that they've tacked onto their engines. Looks like a friggin' used car lot at most shows. Close your hoods, people. Nobody cares that you broke your bank paying the chrome bill.

But some of us like to see the engine, especially if it's something I'm researching for a model project, or just to admire.

Guest billybird
PLEASE ALL NEWCOMERS TO THE AACA!

Be aware that AACA National events NEVER have music of any kind at a National Meet showfield. Just wanted everyone to be aware of this. Regional and Chapter AACA events are a different story and operate as they so choose.[/QUOT

One thing I can say about AACA National Meets. They are ran RIGHT. I've attended probably 40 Nationals { maybe more } and have had a pleasant experience at every one. Thats why I belong to this organization and attend its National Meets. I've taken first timers with me and they are always just blown away. They go away saying something like "I just THOUGHT I had been to a car show." Newcomers; you need to try one AACA National and I bet you'll love it.

The best music I've heard at a show was the cruise in at the Cleveland tn show. A brass Dixie land jazz unit also covering classics of the forties. Anyone who missed Marty Roth and I singing to the music missed very little but we had a good time. Give me live music any day. But let me hear the cars too. The basic question comes down to courtesy. I've also found a nmber of local shows being out on by guys with PA systems looking for an excuse to use them. Their first interest IS the music, not the cars or people and all the speakers point away from them. I have actually turned all four speaker at the DJ tent inward to face the Dj. He stomped up to me and said "are you trying to make me deaf??!!!? "

Edited by sambarn (see edit history)