1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible == Keep it or Flip it?

1937hd45

Just added a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron to the driveway, one owner car that hasn't seen winter use. Needs a new top, and a real good detail job. Googled it and someone thinks they are collectable.........any truth to that, and what would one sell for? Is a 1982 car a HPOF vehicle? Bob

Bob, exactly the type of car to enjoy with Spring and Summer right around the corner here in CT!! At 30 years old, in original shape, and a drop top, you will have a lot more fun driving it around than the jelly beans that normally populate our parking lots here, right? And I am sure it will draw some interest - maybe more than you would expect. Yet not too valuable to leave in the shopping center parking lot, right? In some ways that is the perfect "old car" - register it, enjoy it, use it, and put an optomistic price tag on it if you don't fall in love. You may not lead the charge to include 1982 models at Redding come September, but I bet you fall in like, at least! :D

I agree with Steve!

Have some carefree driving fun with it once the warmer weather arrives!

And then plan on having some fun showing in the HPOF class at Hershey in the fall!

Please post a picture some time too!

Edited by stock_steve
added an additional thought (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

In 1988 I bought a used '83 for my wife. Truly a fun car but way under powered with the crappy Mitsubishi motor. I kept it for a year and traded it in for a new '89 LeBaron convertible. That car had a Chrysler engine that was remarkably great.

Good timing, Bob!

If you get AutoWeek, they just did a story about buying--what's this?!--a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible, with the intent of making some money auctioning it off at one of the big southwestern auctions.

It's the February 18, 2013 issue--the one with the Alfa/Mazda twin roadsters on the cover, and see pages 28 & 29.

This *may* (I haven't studied it closely) be the same story, online: Livin' la vida LeBaron - Autoweek

EDIT: This may or may not be the actual copy of the magazine printed article, but it's different than the above, and seems to contain more details of the adventure: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130122/carnews01/130129960

Edited by stock_steve
added another background link (see edit history)

Guest 37Packard

My brother had one a few years ago and it was a POS. Try sitting in the miniature sized back seat because it will be very uncomfortable for anyone over 5 feet tall. As previously mentioned, the dinky little 4 banger in it doesn't have much power. Don't take it to a car show hoping to impress anyone. How many miles on it? If it's under 100K I would say keep it and cruise around in it this summer. Good luck....

The Chrysler K-car convertible was significant as it was the FIRST convertible to have been built (by Chrysler) since about 1971. It was also significant as it was "factory converted" from a hardtop, using "aircraft-type" rivets to attach the convertible items and strengthen the body at the same time.

When new, they were pretty unique and spiffy! Even some accessory company continental kits, too! But, by modern standards (and traffic patterns), they are more about "profiling" and cruising than anything else. Fuel economy can be decent, but as great as it might have been back then, almost every newer car can do better than it might.

Obviously, you can spend some money on it and get it looking and operating nicely, again. Just don't go overboard in this area. Keep it stock and looking nice. Use it as a neat way to "See the USA" up there as convertible weather will soon be upon us (sooner down here than up there).

Certainly, the back seat is a victim of the convertible's hardware. Suitable for a few smaller kids, at best, typically. But no worse than my '77 Camaro, I suspect!

Get it looking good, running good, and enjoy it this year. If nobody wants to bite to buy it (and have fun themselves!), then put it up and do it again next year. I doubt you'll lose too much money in the process, but have an interesting and unique vehicle investment at the same time. Who knows, somebody might want it for themselves this year?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Thanks for all the replies! Got an estimate on replacing the top, I'm not the guy that will be footing that bill. Wonder if getting it registered in my name is a plus or more money down the hole? From what I've found on the internet $2,000. looks like a starting point, but I'd swap it in a heartbeat for a running registered pickup..................eveny a Chevy. Bob

Guest bkazmer
Thanks for all the replies! Got an estimate on replacing the top, I'm not the guy that will be footing that bill. Wonder if getting it registered in my name is a plus or more money down the hole? From what I've found on the internet $2,000. looks like a starting point, but I'd swap it in a heartbeat for a running registered pickup..................eveny a Chevy. Bob

if you do not register it in your name you could have serious problems on resale, as it could be viewed as a "skip title." The assumption by DMV could be that you are evading sales taxes - I ran into this once buying a car from a guy who had not transferred title to his name.

We had one a few years back. If memory isn't too fuzzy, it was a pale yellow 1982 (or '84?) with the fake woodgrain "Town and Country" package, and the Mark Cross Package. Thankfully, it had the Chrysler engine (I had been advised not to get the one with the Mitsubishi engine). It was a nice-driving car in excellent condition, since it had been a low-mileage (41,xxx), garage-kept car from an upscale suburban New Orleans community, and at $800 I had to gift it to my wife for her birthday. She loved driving it, and it handled fairly well, but ultimately we decided to pass it along, and to replace it with another earlier convertible, the 1952 Cadillac which we used on several AACA Tours, including the Founders Tour in Madison, Wisconsin.

I like it. :D No pickups in the yard to trade. :( It is a two door, it is a rag top, and I have this uncureable disease to save these pretty l'il peaches even if they are under powered. Can't be worse than a Friction Drive Metz. Dandy Dave!

Guest Skyking
Holy crap. 15k??

I paid $17,200 in '89 for a fully loaded one. I guess a $2,000 increase in 7 years wasn't that bad, considering it was on a whole new chassis designed for a convertible plus tons of insulation that drowned out road noise to the max with the top up. It even had a headliner built into the top. When the top was up you didn't realize it was a convertible. Geez, I wish I kept that car. It was the last new car I bought. I got 14 good years out of it, and then my son got a few more. His were hard years!

Edited by Skyking
added text (see edit history)

Guest 37Packard
CT DMV, hmm... If Bob got there for the opening bell we may hear from him sometime tomorrow... :D

Yesterday I went to our local motor vehicle department and renewed the registrations on all 6 of our vehicles for the next year. There was no line and I was out of there in 15 minutes, plus I got to sit in a chair in front of the clerk's desk instead of standing. The total cost to renew the '54 Lincoln and '37 Packard was 63 cents each. The '94 F-150 and '72 F-350 dump truck were about $50 each and our two new vehicles-my 2013 Mustang and my wife's 2012 Honda CRV-were a little under $300 each. The total for all 6 was $696.57 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Plus there are no inspections or smog tests here in Kentucky. If I still lived in San Diego and had to renew all 6 registrations it would have cost me several thousand dollars plus some smog tests. The weather here isn't as nice as San Diego's but the cost of living is a lot less expensive so I'm definitely not complaining....

No DMV visit today, but I did get a clean bill of health from the Town Tax Collector after paying back taxes on the last car I crushed. Have my insurance card, Saturday at the DMV, there has to be a story there. Now the battery is dead in the LeBaron, a NEW Interstate, This is not going to be a good relationship, I can tell already. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I hope the car turns out OK for you. I used to work on them a lot. They were not the best as for reliability. And they seemed to be fluid leakers too-trans and valve cover. Good luck! Oh and don't let people put their fingers in the top gap between the door and rear quarter panel as that gap opens and closes when driving over very uneven road to driveways ect. Often times the owners had to park the car on a flat road surface to be able to get the top to pull up completely to the windshield header. The bodies were not engineered too well for strength.

Walter, yes I gave him a name, got me to work and back home without any trouble or extra cost. Stalls less at stops, but still needs some adjustments. Wonder if the cloudy rear window can be cleaned with some wonder cleaner? Found a stack of receipts the former owner kept from service work, some day I'll total that up for fun. Think I'll start replacing hoses this weekend.

• 2 months later...

The Le Barron and I are doing well, set of front brake pads and a new tire are the only additions. First car I've ever had with leather seats, very confortable. With the radio off there is very little road noise and I like to imagine myself driving a much nicer car. A guy in a brown version with the top down waved at me as we passed today, don't think I'll risk folding this top down, it may have to get me through the winter. Bob

The Le Barron and I are doing well, set of front brake pads and a new tire are the only additions. First car I've ever had with leather seats, very confortable. With the radio off there is very little road noise and I like to imagine myself driving a much nicer car. A guy in a brown version with the top down waved at me as we passed today, don't think I'll risk folding this top down, it may have to get me through the winter. Bob

Ohhh Laudy... What good is a rag top if you cannot drop it on a nice day??? :rolleyes: Glad to here the rest is working out. Dandy Dave!

I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, so.... I guess I am gonna be that guy! The chrysler lebaron convertible is a bit of an historical artifact for a couple of reasons:

1) it appears that it may have been one of the first factory convertibles built in the aftermath of the great convertible scare of the late 1970's early 80's. It was widely believed in those days that the government was going to outlaw convertibles because of the rollover safety risk. Car manufacturers stopped building convertibles: the last American built factory convertible was the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado. Once the scare passed, and it was apparent that convertibles were NOT going to be outlawed, it took a while for the manufacturers to re-tool and begin building them again. It sounds like your LeBaron may be one of the early examples of the return of the convertible. It may be worth checking that out..... and it may add to its collectibility, who knows.

2) The Chrysler Lebaron convertible was made famous (although this one was a 1983) in a memorable episode of Seinfeld, when George Costanza purchased what he believed was a Chrysler LeBaron convertible that was formerly owned by the actor, Jon Voight. It is a very funny episode, considered one of the best, apparently. Here is an excerpt:

1983 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible: Seinfeld

Enjoy your car..... regardless of its collectiblilty, having the top down option is a great thing! I have a 1982 BMW 323i Baur Top Cabriolet here in CT, and I drive top down from Mar/ April through November... and more if I can. Mine is DD, but you will love yours even if you just use it on nice days! Congrats!

http://www.topsonline.com/blog/chrysler-lebaron/1983-chrysler-lebaron-convertible-seinfelds-jon-voights-car/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697733/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mom_%26_Pop_Store

Baurspotting

Edited by tom82baur (see edit history)