1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible == Keep it or Flip it?

1937hd45

If you are still concerned about the cloudy rear window here is the fix. Take it to an auto upholstery / top shop. They will zip out the rear window, sew in new clear plastic then cut out the old plastic. This can be done in about 1/2 hour and used to cost $35.

Guest Skyking
I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, so.... I guess I am gonna be that guy! The chrysler lebaron convertible is a bit of an historical artifact for a couple of reasons:

1) it appears that it may have been one of the first factory convertibles built in the aftermath of the great convertible scare of the late 1970's early 80's. It was widely believed in those days that the government was going to outlaw convertibles because of the rollover safety risk. Car manufacturers stopped building convertibles: the last American built factory convertible was the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado. Once the scare passed, and it was apparent that convertibles were NOT going to be outlawed, it took a while for the manufacturers to re-tool and begin building them again. It sounds like your LeBaron may be one of the early examples of the return of the convertible. It may be worth checking that out..... and it may add to its collectibility, who knows.

2) The Chrysler Lebaron convertible was made famous (although this one was a 1983) in a memorable episode of Seinfeld, when George Costanza purchased what he believed was a Chrysler LeBaron convertible that was formerly owned by the actor, Jon Voight. It is a very funny episode, considered one of the best, apparently. Here is an excerpt:

Baurspotting

There was an error made in that episode. When George told Jerry, Creamer and Elane that he bought the car, he said it was an '89 LeBaron, not an '83.

• 11 months later...

Installed a new water pump on Sunday and washed the car for the very first time. I knew that would jinx things, it died on RT22 on the way to morning coffee. I had a good 14 months out of it, but it was time to stop adding parts, I'll attach the plates to a 1999 Oldsmobile Saturday if the DMV works with me. Bob

post-31159-143142583948_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking
Installed a new water pump on Sunday and washed the car for the very first time. I knew that would jinx things, it died on RT22 on the way to morning coffee. I had a good 14 months out of it, but it was time to stop adding parts, I'll attach the plates to a 1999 Oldsmobile Saturday if the DMV works with me. Bob

You can't trust those Mitsubishi engines, they were junk. Later, the Chrysler engines were bullet proof.