I need help identifying this car!! What kind make/model/year is this bad boy??

Guest allendbaird1

Guest allendbaird1

I need help identifying this car!! What kind make/model/year is this bad boy??

This car sits in front of one of my very elderly neighbors house and is completely at the mercy of the weather considering the owner didn't even put a tarp over it! I'm interested in purchasing the car from her based off what I see, but would love to know more about it before I get that far. This car appears to be in relatively nice state, but its falling apart pretty quick. I couldn't find any names on the car on the exterior what I did find was a symbol on the spare tire with a sign resembling **Peugeots** trademark on it. another on the front grill says "Ireland" but this may be a add on? Plz help! Thanks so much,

Baird Allen

145406d1342064884-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-front-car.jpg145407d1342064894-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-car-symbol.jpg145408d1342064909t-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-car-tinstrumentpanels.jpg145409d1342064928t-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-exterior-side-view.jpg145410d1342064941t-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-interior-steering-wheel.jpg145411d1342064961t-i-need-help-identifying-make-model-rearview-shot.jpg

No idea what this is but it is too small to be an Excalibur. One thing I can tell though is that it based on Volkswagen parts. You can see the VW front suspension and the short wheelbase and the long rear overhang are also clues. If you were to look under the hood the engine will be 'missing' - because it will be in the trunk.

One cannot help but wonder in awe at the many minutes the designers must have spent calculating the geometry of the angles of the hood bows for the folding roof. That or they just ripped it off someones 10 foot dinghy and figured What the hell, this will do.

This is a gazelle or an excalibur. A "replica" of an antique car from the 30s. You'd be well advised to stay away from it as it's nothing but headaches and has little value. If you want an antique car or any kind of collectible only buy genuine.

First of all with VW running gear you have a proven platform that not only runs forever, but you can get parts for it anywhere in the world, and if your not mechanically inclined mechanic's all over the world know this drivetrain. Little value...of course. Designed for people who like the old style, want to be different and not have to pay a big price...of course. Whatever floats your boat... I prefer my stock Beetles, but be thankful you live in a country that allows ( for the time being) YOU to be different. At least a kit car is closer to a production car for the sake of showing in a Second generation class if this is true, and if it isn't who cares.

Look at this next car, It's a 1984 Duesenburg SJ Twenty Grand tribute currently for sale at $225,000.00 This car is not a kit car, but it's not the real thing either. Especially with it's blown 351 FORD engine:

http://www.classiccarmarketing.net/forsale/1984DuesenbergSJ/1984DuesenbergSJ-profile.jpg

http://www.classiccarmarketing.net/forsale/1984DuesenbergSJ/1984DuesenbergSJ-engine.jpg

http://www.classiccarmarketing.net/forsale/1984DuesenbergSJ/1984DuesenbergSJ-seats.jpg

http://www.classiccarmarketing.net/forsale/1984DuesenbergSJ/1984DuesenbergSJ-dash.jpg

http://www.classiccarmarketing.net/forsale/1984DuesenbergSJ/1984DuesenbergSJ-front.jpg

Try to look at it this way. To my mind in the mid to late 1970's there are only two manufacturers that offer a body style of the mid thirties, and both have different styles. The VW Beetle Cabriolet, and the Morgan. The Morgan might be too expensive for folks that want a open car that has doors that swoop way down with those long front fenders. I love riding in my friends 64 Morgan plus four for that reason and to stop at a light and reach out and touch the ground or see the ground going by at speed gives you a different perspective of the road and the speed at which you are traveling.

This Gazelle gives you that feeling at a fraction of the cost.

To people who say it's so fake not having a engine up there you must wonder if those people consider all the cars that were produce with fake roof vents, fake hood scoops, fake rear scoops for rear brakes, fake wire wheel covers, rear boots with straps, fake wheel covers with knock off's, fake trunk lids with simulated spare tire metal bulge built in ect. do they consider all those cars fake too.

If "interesting" is a new euphemism for "ghastly", then I agree. The side view is, especially,disturbing.

The Twenty Grand replica is very nice. No typical "Replicar cheesiness" like a Grant steering wheel, modern stereo or inappropriate gauges

I don't care for the Gazelles or Excaliburs, but I'd take an Auburn or Cord replica for sure.

this one is kind of interesting

Replica/Kit Makes : Coupe Elegant in Replica/Kit Makes | eBay Motors

$%28KGrHqF,%21osE-vo82U15BP4LZJl32%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Guest Kingoftheroad
Well Allen there you have it. Don't feel too bad, there are lots of purists around here. I say if you like the car and the price is right buy it, but as a fun toy do not think of it as a real antique or classic.

^^^^ Rusty is right, if you like it and are looking for something fun to putz around town in & the price is right, buy it & have fun.

But its also important to understand this is not a classic car, collectible, or antique...

^^^^ Rusty is right, if you like it and are looking for something fun to putz around town in & the price is right, buy it & have fun.

But its also important to understand this is not a classic car, collectible, or antique...

So where does the Twenty Grand Tribute fit in your opinion, or doesn't it fit?

If "interesting" is a new euphemism for "ghastly", then I agree. The side view is, especially,disturbing.

The Twenty Grand replica is very nice. No typical "Replicar cheesiness" like a Grant steering wheel, modern stereo or inappropriate gauges

Remember this car ( Gazelle) is all about affordability, the radio most likely found it's way in there later. Most of those kit cars had a choice of gauges, and the choice was not as large or diverse as today.

The 20K "tribute" is still nothing more than a hot rod although nicely executed.

If it were parked next to the original, the inconsistencies would be glaringly obvious.

I wouldn't be as nervous driving it as the original though nor would I be embarrassed either.

OTH, If I drove that ridiculous looking clown car trying to pass as a Mercedes replica, I could never show my face in public ever again.

Replica cars should be titled with the year the replica was created, not the year of the car it is copied from. A knockoff built in 1980 of a 1928 Mercedes is a 1980 car and not a 1928 car.

In the eyes of the DMV a cars year is it's chassis year so in the case of the Gazelle if the VW chassis is a 1975 VW beetle that is what it's titled as.