What is this huge vehicle?

Barry Wolk

Was the circus in town? 'Cause this won't be over till the Fat Lady sings...

largest-car06.jpg

This bigger-than-life Studebaker has been discussed before, but it's always fun to see again.

As for Barry's pics, are we looking at a truck-based vehicle, a big European make,

or some steroidal circus freak? Does the inelegant external doorsill bracing secure

the huge top when it's up? Whatever the outcome, it's curious as all get out!

TG

I think if a regular large car of the time - a Packard or Pierce for example instead of the compact roadster- were put next to this car it would not look so big. The radiator does have a Germanic look to it. The side lights in the fender fronts are odd, and vulnerable to damage as seen by the right front.

My guess is that it is home made, assembled from junk yard parts, maybe built on a truck chassis. Those are heavy wheels with 14 or 16 lugs. The body may be from another car and doesn't seem to go with the hood. The belt line ends at the hood instead of continuing on to the hood in the usual way. The hood doesn't fit well at the bottom of the cowl. The paint on the body looks slightly darker than the hood & aprons. The gas headlamps look truckish also. The lights mounted in the front of the fenders look like 30's electric lights? The hood, radiator shell & grill look simple enough that they could have been hand fabricated with simple tools. The body looks to be of 20's design and curved but the hood is made up of flat panels with steamer trunk type latches instead of hinges.

My guess is that it is home made, assembled from junk yard parts, maybe built on a truck chassis. Those are heavy wheels with 14 or 16 lugs. The body may be from another car and doesn't seem to go with the hood. The belt line ends at the hood instead of continuing on to the hood in the usual way. The hood doesn't fit well at the bottom of the cowl. The paint on the body looks slightly darker than the hood & aprons. The gas headlamps look truckish also. The lights mounted in the front of the fenders look like 30's electric lights? The hood, radiator shell & grill look simple enough that they could have been hand fabricated with simple tools. The body looks to be of 20's design and curved but the hood is made up of flat panels with steamer trunk type latches instead of hinges.

The style of the other cars on the street and the licence plate would suggest a date of not much after 1910 for the photo. The wheels might have 14 or more bolts holding the hubs together but they only have six lugs holding the rims on the wheels so thay are not that big. Certainly looks custom built.

Guest T-Head

I believe it is a 1910-13 High quality chassis with with possibly a custom body. At the very least the radiator and hood are custom because they do not look like anything that was produced.

The key to ID this I think is the chassis, wheels and the splash aprons with the covers at the back for the front of the spring. I spent quite a bit of time looking at photos of large period cars but have not hit on the right one yet.

Barry if you would like to, send me the photos @ The Old Motor and we can run them on there also.

Guest Old48Truck

I think those lugs you see are just bolts that hold the spokes to the hub.

If someone has a rather realistic idea of the wheelbase of tghe smaller roadster, one could probably estimate the wheelbase of the first "monster car", as it seems abouyt 30% more.

Someone mentioned the brakes. I think it should have also come with an anchor, if only rear brakes.

John

Guest Jim_Edwards

I'm wondering if this is not an early Daimler. Maybe even their first four wheel drive car, which I have been unable to find a photo of anywhere on the Internet.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the location of the parking lights. Quite unusual for the obvious era of the car and also unusual in that the appear to be electric and not carbide like the headlights appear to be.

Guest prs519

iI am strongly reminded of the Fatty Arbuckle Pierce Arrow, especially from the cowl back. The car still exists; Mr. Coker made white tires for it, which I found when I googled it. Maybe someone else had a custom Pierce made similar to Arbuckle's, wrecked it up front, then patched it back together with a truck front section?

What do you mean by small? Any wb or tire size info?

Don't know the wheelbase, but I would think that a Metz or similar car would be about the size of a Model T or slightly smaller.

Guest De Soto Frank

I think it is Mercedes or M-B-based, especially after comparing to the photos posted in #28...

The radiator, starting crank, wheels, and general look of beast scream "uberKaiserwagen"

( or something of the sort) to me.... wonder if it came with a helmet with the spike on top ?

While it is a large car, the children in the first photo, especially the one behind the steering wheel, suggest it is not ridiculously overszed, like the gigantic Studebaker at the old proving grounds. There is a certain amount of distortion in the first photo created by perspective of the camera and that giant radiator that make the car seem even larger and more unaesthestic than it likely was in real life.

It was never accused of being "pretty" or "sleek"...

I wonder what they did for a windscreen when they had to put the top up ?

Those aren't children.

"That's no moon..."

Actually, my first impression was an early Mercedes, particularly because of the grille. They did make some truly massive cars, and I think the perspective and surroundings in the photos seem to emphasize it. Even so, there's no denying that it's a big, big car. I doubt there were many home-built cars of that scale in that era--whatever it is, it's still fairly new (EVERYTHING was fairly new in the teens). I doubt someone built it on a lark. It's extremely cool, whatever it is.

Guest mschiffel

could this big car be a German made Benz ???...as in the "Blitzen Benz" that had a front mounted supercharger ???....just guessing here.