Pebble Beach Best of Show 2011

West Peterson

I like it. The juxtaposition of the angular Voisin front end with the rounded body is very cool. I'm a fan of the Voisin automobiles in general, although most French cars do nothing for me. This one I like.

I like that they choose interesting and different cars, rather than just the "mainstream" Classics, no matter how spectacular. Odd and unusual counts!

Agree these are neat cars and some coachwork is striking, but kind of unusual that in a competition that awards points to more desirable bodystyles a sedan would pull that off. Also agree with A.J. that a 3/4 view might be a bit more flattering.

Anyone know how often a sedan had been the overall winner at Pebble? My guess would be you could count the times on one hand but I could be wrong...

Our editor is not shy in voicing his opinion on design and looks. He has even castigated my parents for producing an ugly child. Pebble always brings some very interesting and unusual cars. This ranks up there in unusual. Mr. Mullin has one of the best collections of cars in the world, I would love to own any one of his cars!

Sorry Steve, but I'm with West on this one.....I've been to a lot of Concours events and this is one of the strangest "best of show" choices I've seen. I rarely disagree with the judges on their choice of the best of show, or even in best of class, but I couldn't agree with this one. Then, of course, who am I to say...I like Crosleys!!!

Here's the link to how Best of Show is chosen. Beauty of the body styling is, of course, in the eye of the beholder as stated. I'm sure this car had that little extra "something", we've all seen restored cars, regardless of body style, that stop you in your tracks because the restoration is so exquisite.

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance : Judging

Wow....talk about distracting from the design. Why do you suppose they went with the "Monte Carlo" style fender brace on the outside? I did not mind the side shot, but that bar in front should go away.

Drawing upon his aircraft experience, Gabriel Voisin used sheet aluminum for bodies. Before World War Two, aluminum was scarce and expensive, which contributed to making Voisin cars among the most costly automobiles on the market. Also adapted from aircraft was the clever use of bracing to lend stiffness to parts like the front fenders. In a common, steel-bodied car, the fenders would be attached with many bolts to keep the heavy steel panels from bouncing or flexing. But with the external braces, Voisins could use lightweight aluminum for the bodywork and still retain the stiffness of heavy steel. The braces, as may be seen here between the radiator shell and the tops of the fenders, were not just rods or flat bars, but were machined into airfoil profiles for less wind-resistance.

Here's an extremely interesting website to learn about Gabriel Voisin, which is where I got the above information:

http://bricology.livejournal.com/39179.html?thread=438539

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I almost always agree with West but I love Voisin. Not sure it warranted best of show without seeing the other cars. There is a strong European bias to that award. Btw, the rear wheel covers detract from the appearance.

large_Avions_Voisin_C28_Clairiere_1935_Wallpaper_42023.jpg

A.J. your example has a different roofline as well. Personally I find the "formal" or "razeredge" roofline and no skirts on rear a much better overall look. I never thought the fender braces played that much of a role and actually thought they were decorative. Was the above car featured on the cover of The Classic Car a few years back?

Unusual almost running board like treatment on the front - is that a rubber mat or running board??

Steve, I guess the Pebble Beach winner had a "aerodynamic" tail to it. Most of the C28s I've seen have the notch back. Total production of all body styles was tiny in any case. I think the fender braces are functional. Not sure if this was a cover car or not.

Drawing upon his aircraft experience, Gabriel Voisin used sheet aluminum for bodies. Before World War Two, aluminum was scarce and expensive, which contributed to making Voisin cars among the most costly automobiles on the market. Also adapted from aircraft was the clever use of bracing to lend stiffness to parts like the front fenders. In a common, steel-bodied car, the fenders would be attached with many bolts to keep the heavy steel panels from bouncing or flexing. But with the external braces, Voisins could use lightweight aluminum for the bodywork and still retain the stiffness of heavy steel. The braces, as may be seen here between the radiator shell and the tops of the fenders, were not just rods or flat bars, but were machined into airfoil profiles for less wind-resistance.

Here's an extremely interesting website to learn about Gabriel Voisin, which is where I got the above information:

bricology: Wings, wheels and the impossible house

Sorry, but "the clever use of bracing to lend stiffness to parts like the front fenders" did not work for the looks. Being into architecture for years, I can say that if I was to design a nice cantilevered part of a home and then added braces like that, the owner would scratch his head and say, "Really?"

Guest Skyking
Wow, this car must have had an awesome restoration, because it looks like they ran it through an ugly forest and it hit every tree.......

As I was reading these posts, I was thinking the same thing. What did it hit before entering the show field. Talk about UGLY!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it won for the quality of the restoration as opposed to winning for it's looks?! I like the one with the skirts because of it's low, Airflow-like style, but the braces on the fenders ruins the whole "sleek" look, for me when I see the front view.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

A picture on a foggy morning but this Mercedes won best in class and most elegant open car. Another beautiful car.

Boy, you guys are really tough! Obviously some people do like the car and I imagine it looks a lot better in person. Knowing the owner's collection it must be an absolute flawless restoration of a very rare car. It seems a lot of the Voisin's are polarizing. However, they are engineering masterpieces and I am glad this car was saved.

Look some people actually like the Pontiac Aztec!:D When I was at GM's design studio and saw what was supposed to be the next generation minivan in the late 90's I won no points with the designers when I told them they had finally come up with a design that was sale-proof!

Beauty I guess will be in the eye of the beholder! I'd except the winner in my garage any time except that I could not afford a fender on the car!

post-30866-143138637923_thumb.jpg

...snip..

Look some people actually like the Pontiac Aztec!:D When I was at GM's design studio and saw what was supposed to be the next generation minivan in the late 90's I won no points with the designers when I told them they had finally come up with a design that was sale-proof...

I am a little surprised that I didn't see an Aztec across town from Pebble Beach at the Concours D' LeMons last Saturday. :)

Concours d'LeMons

Guest 60electra225
As I was reading these posts, I was thinking the same thing. What did it hit before entering the show field. Talk about UGLY!!!!!!!!!

And you have 3 Metropolitan's ?:)

A picture on a foggy morning but this Mercedes won best in class and most elegant open car. Another beautiful car.

Boy, you guys are really tough! Obviously some people do like the car and I imagine it looks a lot better in person. Knowing the owner's collection it must be an absolute flawless restoration of a very rare car. It seems a lot of the Voisin's are polarizing. However, they are engineering masterpieces and I am glad this car was saved.

Look some people actually like the Pontiac Aztec!:D When I was at GM's design studio and saw what was supposed to be the next generation minivan in the late 90's I won no points with the designers when I told them they had finally come up with a design that was sale-proof!

Beauty I guess will be in the eye of the beholder! I'd except the winner in my garage any time except that I could not afford a fender on the car!

Is that Zeppo Marx's Murphy bodied S that ran at Muroc?

Guest 60electra225
................and not one person I ever bumped into called them ugly.:cool:

Can I be the first ? :D

Don't be offended - I own a Tatra 603 !

I like it, I've read about Voisin designed cars and aeroplanes but I've never seen one in person, I'll bet the under hood and interior/dashboard are an engineering marvel. Congratulations to the owner for sharing this car and his collection with all of us. A full day at the collection is on my "Bucket List". Bob.......................P.S. I don't think that Mercedes is the Marx car, that one is yellow and under restoration in Pennsylvania for a local collector there.