What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Took the '70 Bug out for some local shopping yesterday afternoon, in preparation for a small dinner party my wife was planning. The weather was mostly cloudy most of the day but by the time we got out there in the afternoon in the car, we enjoyed some nice top-down sunshine. Hope today (Sunday) is even better...

Guest greg walsh

I removed the lovebugs from my Porsche again after a local car show! this year have been the worst season for them in Florida anyone has ever seen.

Guest PhippsAuto

Greg, my family's in the Kennedy Space Center part of Florida, and mom told me how bad the love bugs are ... said the editorial cartoon for the last Shuttle launch even showed the shuttle covered in love bugs! I moved out here to Texas and got married and stayed put, and one thing I have not missed is those danged love bugs!

Left Friday morning and drove my '66 Mustang from Tampa to Jacksonville for a Mustang Club of America National Show. Just got home from the drive back.

It was definately HOT, with the show being held on blacktop and the temps in the mid to upper 90s.

Had a great time seeing longtime friends.

Also, I won a GOLD Award in concourse driven....not bad for a 13 year old restoation.

Kevin

post-55644-143138549373_thumb.jpg

Took out all the windshield garnish molding from my 57 and sanded and primed it. Getting ready to repaint it. As long as you do something, no matter how minor, it still adds up to getting the car finished. Also buffed out some stainless door trim and painted the center section of it the correct color..

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up returning my original set of bias ply 5.60x15 tires due to their being unacceptably low quality (very difficult to balance and out-of-round, per my local garage), and opted to try out a set of 165R15 "American Classic" radials, with 3/4" whitewalls. Got 'em onto the '70 Bug this past weekend:

813753.jpg

The driving I've managed to do with this setup so far has been very acceptable--including highway commuting at speeds up to 70 mph or so (I had them spin-balanced).

I definitely have nothing against bias ply tires, especially for use on a car like this, combined with my "low impact" driving style. Plus, I think they look more "proper". And I would still be driving them, if they had been any good. Unfortunately they were not. My choices of other skinny-whitewall tires that are proper size for a 1970 VW are limited.

Anyway, I have to say I'm happy with the 165R15 radials, and hope to enjoy lots of driving with them this season...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Put a pitman arm seal in my 65 country squire,bought the seal kit over 5 years ago but never got around to installing it. I only drove it one time last year and when I got it out of storage a month ago the seal leaked more then usual so it was time to replace,had to loosen and move the drivers side exhaust pipe to get the puller on the pitman arm but other then that is was a easy fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Skyking

I had a slight vibration in my '60 Metropolitan that was always driving me nuts, so two weeks ago I pulled the flywheel off and had that & the pressure plate balanced. Last night I finished putting it back together. What a difference! Now it is as smooth as it was intended to be...............

Participated in the BIG Main Street Middletown (CT) Cruise Night last Wednesday evening (6/15/2011), ref: Middletown Car Cruise

Mddltwn15Jun11VWsOvrlD1k.JPG

Special thanks to our friends the CT VW Association - Connecticut Volkswagen Association - for organizing the mini-VW-caravan into the event, that allowed us to put together a neat little show within the show (I'm right behind the light blue '74 Bug in the above shot).

I got pretty wet driving back home later that evening, once the "The Big Downpour" happened. No fun having to pull over and wrestle with putting up the top when you're getting drenched!

I think the car has dried out again since then!

Guest ken bogren

Friday and Saturday me and my 63 Falcon hung out at the MSRA Back to the 50s Weekend in FALCON HEIGHTS, MN! (The state fairgrounds is actually in Falcon Heights, not St Paul)

Noticed a lot more Falcons this years, especially the 64 - 65 years..

It was another great show. You see everything here from unrestored original cars to pristine restorations to mild to wild street rods and customs.

Today I got it new wiper blades to replace the oldies that more or less started to shred in the rain on the way home on Saturday.

We got over to the "Essex Fire Engine Co. No. 1 Cruise Night" (Essex, CT) hosted by the Misfit Cruisers, for a little while, near the end of the evening, this past Tuesday night, 6/21/2011. We had been out and about in Mrs. Stock Steve's '63 VW Karmann Ghia, and decided to swing by the Essex event, since we were in the area. Even though most of the cars started leaving right as we got there, it was still a fun stop on a nice Summer Solstice evening:

Essx21Jun11Ovrl.JPG

Guest greg walsh

I drove my 68 Porsche in a poker run benefit for my son's girlfriend's father who died of a massive heart attack about a week ago. There were about 20 bikes and my Porsche and my son's Ghia. Dodged alot of heavy rain but it was fun.

I drove my 68 Porsche in a poker run benefit for my son's girlfriend's father who died of a massive heart attack about a week ago. There were about 20 bikes and my Porsche and my son's Ghia. Dodged alot of heavy rain but it was fun.

Got any pictures there, Greg? Good job supporting a very-worthy-sounding cause. I am sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your son's girlfriend's father.

At this end, I've been commuting in my old '60 Sunroof Bug for about the past week or so, plus some weekend pleasure driving too (such as up to Glastonbury, CT on Sunday for Steve Mack's AACA Region's fantastic antique auto show)--and having such a good time that I'm still commuting with it this week (about 50 miles round trip). Here is a photo from yesterday morning stopping off at the New Haven main post office on Brewery Street, to mail some letters.

60VWNHPO27Jun11Scene1k.JPG

That's the Knights of Columbus building peeking over the wall in the background, by the way, ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Columbus_Building_(New_Haven,_Connecticut))

I had to install some new wires on Saturday, due to some reluctance to start in last week's rainy weather (after sitting outside in the rain for 8+ hours), and the car seems to be running better than ever.

Sunday, our Region had it's monthly Cruise-in at Roma's, a local restaurant that sponsors our club with advertisements, plus half-off meals for the drivers of the cruisers that come by. They announced our arrival with a cool sign statement.

On another note, most of my local regional members had never seen my tan and black '29 Essex, even though we have owned it for over 2 years now.

Wayne

post-31395-14313858044_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, the Northern Neck Region attended a small cruise in at the Lancashire Nursing Home in Kilmarnock, Va. The residents there were really animated over seeing our older cars, and they all had something to say about them.

Makes one feel good to share with those not able to get around anymore.

wayne

post-31395-143138580444_thumb.jpg

Been working over here in Portugal for the last three weeks so Old Bessie is waiting for me to get back home to install her running boards and work on her fenders.

Installed the newly restored tail light lens I found through this site.

image001.jpg

NICE...and rare! Those license plate bolts were REALLY rare in 1933....gotta poke some fun once in a while.

Yesterday, the Northern Neck Region attended a small cruise in at the Lancashire Nursing Home in Kilmarnock, Va. The residents there were really animated over seeing our older cars, and they all had something to say about them.

Makes one feel good to share with those not able to get around anymore.

wayne

Nice job there, Wayne. We have participated in similar organized nursing home visits, both large & small scale. In fact, we're going to drive a couple of old cars over to visit another old car friend who's recuperating in a local nursing home tomorrow evening.

On another related subject, later on the same morning that I drove my '60 Bug up to Steve Mack's Central CT Region AACA antique car show in Glastonbury, CT (this past Sunday, June 26th--there is a thread about it in the "Meets & Tours" section), I did a quick trip back south to the shoreline, and took in a bit of the Our Lady of Pompeii Council #11245 Knights of Columbus car show in East Haven, CT--another nice show, benefiting a worthy cause (Knights Charities). My Bug's sitting under the arrow:

EHKofC11OvrlWArrw.jpg

...In fact, we're going to drive a couple of old cars over to visit another old car friend who's recuperating in a local nursing home tomorrow evening...

Nice evening visiting our old car buddy who's recuperating in the local nursing home. Fun to get a couple of old cars out and about on the local roads too!

PHVst1Jul11DonBobPhil.JPG

Happy upcoming Independence Day everyone, and Thanks U.S. Military Veterans!

Guest Kingoftheroad
oN jULY 4TH, I tried to put the 29 Chrysler on the neighbors lft. It quit running just before I got it on the lift. (It did restart, but wouldn't start today to remove from lift after replacing pinion seal. Tried to start the DeSoto to remove from the garge. Would not run. Had to tow it out. Moved the 42 Packar out of the garage, and it stalled blocking the street. Managed to get it to run lng enough to get it onto the drive - barely. 3 for 3. Sometimes I wonder why I think this is fun.

Sorry to hear it, sounds like it just wasn't your day....

The next time you take one of your toys out for a cruise, you'll know why your in this hobby. Nothing better then being behind the wheel of your own automobile..

At least thats what keeps me coming back !!

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

I started my first ever attempt at welding and welding a patch panel in. I practiced a bunch then dove right in, this sheet metal is tough to not to blow through. Its been a blast and very satisfying to learn a new skill.

Here is a pic of the start where it has just a few tacks...I ran out of wire.

I am soon to mount the body on a rotisserie, these areas require repair to do so.

post-62521-14313858689_thumb.jpg

I started my first ever attempt at welding and welding a patch panel in. I practiced a bunch then dove right in, this sheet metal is tough to not to blow through. Its been a blast and very satisfying to learn a new skill.

Here is a pic of the start where it has just a few tacks...I ran out of wire.

I am soon to mount the body on a rotisserie, these areas require repair to do so.

If you have a piece of at least 20ga copper sheet you can clamp behind the joint, that will help prevent burn thru. You may also try turning the voltage/heat and or speed down a notch.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I checked the differential fluid in my classic the other day, it was full. I can't remember the last time I checked that....

Did some sanding on my 66 f250 and hope to get some paint on it by the end of the month,not trying to get too picky since its still going to be a workhorse since it will be hauling cars to far away shows along with a slide in camper in the back so I can stay cheaper at the campgrounds.

post-40021-143138591726_thumb.jpg

Guest greg walsh

I replaced some of the inner door jam panel hardware that was missing with some nice shiny stainless ones from our local hardware store on my 68 Porsche on the passenger's side. I'll do the driver's side when they get more metric screws in.

Drove the '70 Bug to a really laid-back & fun all-VW meet out in the country (Lebanon Fairgrounds, Lebanon, CT) yesterday, sponsored by the CT VW Association hobbyists group ( www.ctvwa.org ).

What a great summer day to be able to be out and about. You can pick out the tan front of my car in this colorful lineup of Bug Convertibles--we're the 2nd to the last one (and I think the only non-Super in the group--you can pick out the Super Beetles by their slightly more pronounced rounded nose--the light blue one beyond me is a flat-windshield Super, and the two in front of me are of course rounded-windshield type, which are '73 & later):

CVALbn10Jul11KabsLnR.JPG

For the heck of it, I had decided to switch the "stock-look" wheels & tires over to some aftermarket styled steel wheels, with RWL tires, that I had assembled for my previous '68 Bug:

CVALbn10Jul11KabsW70FgrdR.JPG

It was a fun day--thanks to our friends at CVA for all their work producing it!

Guest ken bogren

So far today we've taken the 63 Falcon convertible to two "One Car" shows, meaning we took it to breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast was great! A kid about 13 -14 came over to our table with his grandfather and asked if we, or our breakfast companions, owned the Falcon. After telling him we owned he said his Grandfather suggested he look around the place and see if he could guess who it belonged to.

He then proceeded to ask a bunch of relevant and well thought out questions about the car, including such things as was the interior original, were the miles really over 130,000 (the top was down so seeing the odometer was easy) had the car been restored or not. Was it a daily driver and did we drive it a lot, etc. Apparently he's a junior car guy as he explained he had a scale model Falcon among his collection.

We love those encounters. Especially those like this one where the adult with the kid lets the kid do the talking!

The "One Car" show at lunch was a bit less exciting, but it was still fun to watch through the cafe window as a couple construction workers spent a few minutes of their lunch break examining the car.

We might take it out for another "One Car" show and desert at the Dairy Queen after dinner!

What a fun day!

[This is no where near being a "show car", calling it a daily driver may be being generous, doesn't seem to matter to it brings a smile too]

Added::::: Oh yeah, since this thred is about what we "did to" the car.... I tightened the screw on the interior rear view mirror :)

Edited by ken bogren (see edit history)