Definitions/pronunciations

Restorer32

marque...a brand name, especially in the auto industry, pronounced MARK

marquee...a large tent or a rooflike structure often bearing a signboard,

pronounced MAR-KEY

marquee (adjective) big name star, pronounced MAR-KEY

example...."Steve Moskowitz will be the marquee attraction at the marque event celebrating Oldsmobile in the main marquee, or so it says on the marquee of the Hershey Theatre".

And so ends the lesson for the day. Tomorrow... hearse/Hearst.

The use of the word 'restored'. People often use the word in a sentence such as: The car needs restored. Well, that's far from correct. The car needs restoration. The car needs to be restored. The car needs restoring. Our English lesson for the day, which I'm sure will fall on deaf ears, so to speak....B

The use of the word 'restored'. People often use the word in a sentence such as: The car needs restored. Well, that's far from correct. The car needs restoration. The car needs to be restored. The car needs restoring. Our English lesson for the day, which I'm sure will fall on deaf ears, so to speak....B

That's one of mine, too -- along with "needs repaired", "needs painted", "needs upholstered", etc. A future tense ambition grouped with a past tense action. I even hear so-called English teachers make this mistake. It seems like it wasn't so common until recent years. I chalk it up to laziness in speech, probably from the same group that can't find the shift key or doesn't use punctuation because it would take "that much" longer to type.

Add to the list "duck tape", "carter key", and "rebarb". Yes, maybe not all directly automotive, but I have known some to use all three on their projects!

Had an employee who was constantly misusing the English language. A clip board was a "click board", a stake bodied truck was "state bodied", a drift was a "driff". Caught him one time singing along with the radio to "The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald".

Having been a machinist in a former life, production people were often inventing new words just out of ignorance. One that really took the cake was a fellow running a production NC mill we kept in the tool room. He came to me one day asking for a new "eminel". He was a pretty well educated, respectable guy, especially compared to most of the ex-cons and drug addicts we had there, and we got along really well. We went round-and-round with me telling him I had no idea what he was asking for, even to the point of having him spell it for me, until he finally got one, held it in my face and said, "EMINEL"

eminel = end mill

It's just that he had never seen it in print and it's what he heard everybody else calling them.

Concours d' Elegance. Pronounced........"Stuck up"

Mr. Beck;

I had some of the same impressions you seem to have at one time. I have attended 6 or 7 different concours events now as a participant and I can tell you that, for the most part, that impression is false. Certainly many of the folks at some of the events are on an entirely different economic level than the average one of us, but most are far from "stuck up". We have been welcomed warmly at many events and have always had a great time. Most of the events have a very worthy cause as their beneficiary and the people there are working their hardest to make the most money they can for that cause. In fact, if you want to see the exact opposite of "stuck up" visit the microcar class at Hilton Head sometime. The group usually borders on lunacy and you will find less "stuck up" people than you will find at your average neighborhood car show.

Had an employee who was constantly misusing the English language. A clip board was a "click board", a stake bodied truck was "state bodied", a drift was a "driff". Caught him one time singing along with the radio to "The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald".

Loved the English lesson, Jeff, but in my experience the more uneducated(english, math, or otherwise) the man is, the better the craftsman. I don't care if he can't even spell his own name, if his hands can only do marvels on metal!;)

On that note, our region just had a historical tour through the local country side. Pointed out along the way was a post office operated by one Eudious Swann. Everyone in the neighborhood called him Otis! There was a reason for this!:)

Just call me-Wayne!:D

Re Concours being "stuck up". I've been invited to half a dozen myself. Including Meadow Brook twice. Even won awards half the time. Can't say I've been disrespected either. Yet there is that under current that unless your car is some kind of pure classic, gazzilion dollar, one of a kind, preferably European Wizzmobile you're not quite part of the scene. Kicking in mega bucks to the cause helps I'm sure.

So don't get me wrong. I'll go to every Concours to which I'm invited. The cars are usually fantastic, the venues scenic, the causes good and the lunches nice. But there definately is a pecking order and it's no beer and pretzel crowd............Bob

Down Here in Louisiana (Not Loozy-anna) folks who dont have a garage, but do have a covered, but not walled-in surround will sometimes call it a

"CAR PORCH". -- If you didn't know the term "CARPORT" ???

I guess it depends upon what might sound right, based on your upbringing

As I age (and I hope I continue to do so), I'm still learning to be less judgemental and more appreciative

We are 8 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line, also known as the "youze-y'all line. "I seen youze had went to the WalMart" is considered perfect English in these parts. In the old days when PA Dutch was still frequently heard in our non-Amish community the use of "ain't" at the end of a sentence was common. "You're coming to our house for supper, aint?" (is that not true?).

Barry,

Correct on working for Fords. Two items to think of is that prior to 1955(i think) Ford was a family owned business like the grocery store or restaurant down the street completely owned by the Ford family so employees really worked for the Ford(s) family unlike the other stock car companies. Ford's would not really be the correct terminology but is commonly used.

Marty, it's not a carport in the South, it's a porte cochere........love the examples of poor English, many brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...like ATM machine....one of my fun ones, if you read old books or articles of the period, "The Model T" was just "Model T." As in, "Henry Ford then began building Model T......" since the designation itself was of a separate model....

Had a fellow I used to work with, had a hard time working with all the "modren" machinery, as in modern.....and we have a lot of runny babbits living in our yard.....

The latest bastardization of the language (again, a proper use of the word) is "ya want me to Krispy Kreme those tires for ya?" from the detail man, as in put a glaze on them.....

"Rutch over so's I can sit next to you". "To rutch" is commonly used in this area to mean scoot over, slide over, etc but conveys more than either of those terms. While not in the dictionary "rutch" perfectly describes wiggling your butt or whole body while sliding and squirming sideways without using your hands" and is commonly used in hospitals to describe the motion necessary to move from one side of a bed to another while the sheets are being changed with you in the bed.

Had a fellow I used to work with, had a hard time working with all the "modren" machinery, as in modern.....and we have a lot of runny babbits living in our yard.....

If you have a "runny babbit, it's time for a rebuild!!

Personally I don't give it much thought when someone mispronounces a word. IMHO, life is way too short to worry over something such as this. Ask the guy who is struggling with cancer or has lost a loved one recently or has a relative in Iraq if mispronounced words even show up on his radar screen. I doubt they do!!

I don't live my life worrying how someone else talks or spells nor do I ridicule a person who may not have been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to advance his education. I stay busy enough keeping myself on track to correct others

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

Where my folks came from, nearby naturally, it's common to hear:

"Deed I hope it so!"

"Lord, hope me die!"

"Deed that's ticklin!"

"I done et supper!"

"My Dad gapped!" (Not yawned) My Dad actually says this!:D

"Polly gived it to me!" Gloria's sister said this once before correcting herself with much embarrassment.

"I done hoped!" (not helped) This word is still used today, by one our our region members this weekend, as a matter of fact!

Now, to send a link to Earl Beauchamp. He always tells me that you folks think I'm a redneck because I say "ain't", "winder" (window), bananer" (banana), & "motersicle" (motorcycle)-personally I like that one.

OH! and everyone's favorite....."Cannondaywa".. heck I can't even say it wrong no more, that darn Pat Thrope!:)

Wayne, if you can't laugh at yourself, life is really dull!