Definitions/pronunciations

Restorer32

Guest billybird

I have also heard "grumble seat" for rumble seat; " kook" for coupe, and my all time favorite was on ebay one time. This guy had a 56 t-bird for sale with "tonto" cover for the interior! I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that one.

....., and my all time favorite was on ebay one time. This guy had a 56 t-bird for sale with "tonto" cover for the interior! I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that one.

Funny that you mention that one. Last week my chiropractor was trying to explain to another patient of his that he wanted a cover for the bed of his truck, but he couldn't remember what they are called. I told him, "It's a tonneau cover".

The guy he was talking to looked at me and said, "A tonto cover?"

I told him, "No a tonto cover would be a blanket to cover the Lone Ranger's sidekick". :rolleyes:

Then I spelled it for him. :D

My cousins from Balmer always said the wudder (water) here tasted funny and they wanted melk (milk) with their cereal. One of them once asked why none of the barbecue places had any pit beef.

My Aunt Evelyn lived in Balmer for over 30 years. After all that time it still burned her up to be called "hillbilly" just because she was not a Balmer native.

Here in Southside Vajenya we all tend to sound like Earl Hamner ("The Waltons") or Wawd Buhton. "House" is "hoose" and "about" is "aboot". We tend to say "beaucoups" when we mean a lot of something and "nare" or "nunnit" when there isn't any.

Does anywhere else refer to a paper bag as a "poke"? you hear "sack" here a lot too.

Guest DagoRed

Somewhere south of the Garden State is South Carolina (pronounced 'SOW K-olina'. There you 'cut the light on', 'cut the light off' and when you wash the car, you 'cut the water on' at the 'hose pipe'. :eek:

Does anywhere else refer to a paper bag as a "poke"? you hear "sack" here a lot too.

My father, born and raised in the county seat of Harrisville in rural Ritchie County, West Virginia used the word "poke" sometimes. However, because he had a college degree in journalism and was a newspaper City Editor by the time I came along he was pretty careful with his English. :)

Here's a great one. I was making a sales call many years ago on a late Friday afternoon, and when the lady answered the door, she said that she was interested in what I had to offer, but asked me if I could come back on Monday.

"Sure", I said, "but I'll also be working tomorrow (Saturday) if you'd want me to stop by then"

The woman said, "No, come back on Monday. You see, this is actually my daughter's house, and she's temporarily decomposed."

(was going to say "Damn, I'm a little late.")

As a kid we called dragon flies "witch doctors", no idea why. Drives my wife crazy when I call angel food cake "sponge cake". Amazing the difference just a few miles can make. We are just 35 miles north of Bal-t-more yet it is amazingly simple to distinguish those folks from just below the Mason-Dixon line who have been infiltrating us for the last few years. Just ask them to pronounce oil (earl).

Heh. Just thought about the old fellow who lived down the road from us whose lifelong ambition was to own an Electrolux Burick. He still owned a Ford when he died.

Dragonflies were also "witch doctors" here. Praying mantises were "devil's riding horses". A katydid is a "jizzywit". Cicadas are "jarflies".

"Youins" is western Nawth Cackalackese for "y'all".

I know to some that call the '56 Continental a Lincoln Mark II it's no big deal, but really, Continental was a separate division of Ford Motor Company, just like Mercury, Lincoln and Edsel. Yes, it was folded into the Lincoln Division in 1958, but it was a separate entity from 1954 to 1958. It had it's own plant. Yes, it shared a drive train with Lincoln, but few other parts were interchangeable (except lightbulbs). It's a Continental Mark II.

How "bout vetran,or intrest? Acame market or goin on a pickanick. toof for tooth or axe for ask? I always hear "sour grapes " describing somebody's anger for not getting their way but in Aesop's fable the wolf kept trying to reach grapes high up on a tree. He gave up,saying;"those grapes were probably sour anyway".Then there was the person in New York who injected "Silicone" into their body to improve their figure instead of "silicon" and died a horrible death.

In the original post, he wouldn't drive a Marquis unless he was a sadist and I think it should have been (Hearst/Hurst) unless he was talking about Patty Hearst of the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Hi Barry, I am sure many "Chrysler Imperial" owners are also annoyed in this manner.

I doubt that the Imperial owners are annoyed by the use of the term "Chrysler Imperial" because from the beginning, Chrysler used that term on their own manuals and sales literature. I am not sure when they quit designating it as a "Chrysler" Imperial on their stuff. All of the guys I know who own Imperials call them Chrysler Imperials. Here is a 1932 "Chrysler Imperial" instruction book. The situation is different with the Continentals and Lincolns.

post-37352-143138353884_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

Patty Hearst? Interesting. I still have the news paper I saved from that day as I have many other trivial items. I think this thread has served a good purpose reminding us that we are so diverse yet linked together by a common bond: VEHICLES! When we talk about that everybody understands everybody.

Guest De Soto Frank

Somewhere along in the late 1940's - early 1950's Imperial became a separate badge within Chrysler Corp. until around 1965 or so...

So, we went from Crown Imperial to Imperial Crown...

Prior to WW II, they were indeed Chrysler Imperials

Imperial was the top-line Chrysler model from 1925 to 1954. From 1955 to 1975 it was considered it's own marque, much like DeSoto, although after 1970 the cars were badged "Imperial by Chrysler" and the 1974/75 cars no longer had their own unique (larger) chassis. In 1976 the Imperial was rebadged as the Chrysler New Yorker.

The 1981-1983 Imperial was also treated as a unique marque, separate from Chrysler. The 1990-1993 Imperial was model within the Chrylser brand lineup.

Funny that you mention that one. Last week my chiropractor was trying to explain to another patient of his that he wanted a cover for the bed of his truck, but he couldn't remember what they are called. I told him, "It's a tonneau cover".

The guy he was talking to looked at me and said, "A tonto cover?"

I told him, "No a tonto cover would be a blanket to cover the Lone Ranger's sidekick". :rolleyes:

Then I spelled it for him. :D

And yet, that is an incorrect term. It is simply a truck bed tarp. A tonneau cover does what it's name implies, it covers the tonneau.

ton·neau

  <noscript>speaker.gif</noscript> /tʌˈnoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spel [tuh-noh]

–noun, plural -neaus, -neaux <noscript>speaker.gif</noscript> /-ˈnoʊz/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[-nohz]

a rear part or compartment of an automobile body, containing seats for passengers.

.....You also have the time where Archie Bunker was talking about how Edith had to go see a "groinachologist.":eek::eek::eek:

.......sorry Wayne, I couldn't resist.:D:D:D

I thought about that one just last night. :rolleyes: But was too chicken to post it. :o One of the funniest coined words ever. :D

And yet, that is an incorrect term. It is simply a truck bed tarp. A tonneau cover does what it's name implies, it covers the tonneau.

ton·neau

  <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> /tʌˈnoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spel [tuh-noh]

–noun, plural -neaus, -neaux <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> /-ˈnoʊz/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[-nohz]

a rear part or compartment of an automobile body, containing seats for passengers.

It might not technically be correct, but it sure is how they are marketed per this website and many others.

Tonneau Covers & Truck Bed Covers - Pickup Tonneau Covers - Free Shipping

Here is you asked for a truck bed tarp you would be sent to someplace like Harbour Freight to get one of those orange/blue/silver tarps with grommets in the edges. :D

I thought about that one just last night. :rolleyes: But was too chicken to post it. :o One of the funniest coined words ever. :D
Another one was when a female impersonator passed out in Archie's taxi and he performed "mouth to mouth restitution" because "the wrong breath type could kill a person" (I left the part out about who Archie chased away)

It might not technically be correct, but it sure is how they are marketed per this website and many others.

Tonneau Covers & Truck Bed Covers - Pickup Tonneau Covers - Free Shipping

Here is you asked for a truck bed tarp you would be sent to someplace like Harbour Freight to get one of those orange/blue/silver tarps with grommets in the edges. :D

An electrician friend of mine who was helping with the wiring of a 1947 Spartan trailer, called them gromlets.

I kept on waiting for him to crack a smile (since I figured he couldn't be serious). He's from East Texas.

Guest Skyking

I love it when people ask me where I'm from. I say Rhode Island, and they ask what part of Long Island is that???..........:eek:

.....and these are people my age.:confused:

ton·neau

  <noscript>speaker.gif</noscript> /tʌˈnoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spel [tuh-noh]

–noun, plural -neaus, -neaux <noscript>speaker.gif</noscript> /-ˈnoʊz/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[-nohz]

Damn! Now I gotta put a back seat in my TR6 just to use mine!:D

Guest billybird

ton·neau

  <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> /tʌˈnoʊ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spel [tuh-noh]

–noun, plural -neaus, -neaux <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> /-ˈnoʊz/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[-nohz]

Wait a minute. What about those Subaru Brats? The truck that had the two seats in the bed. Would tonneau be correct in this application? I'm just gowgin' atcha. { southern for joking }.

Guest Dr. Strangelove

And the there is the great debate followed be gnashing of teeth over:

Illinois: 'Illi-noy' vs. 'Illi- NOISE'

and

Mackinac: 'Mack-in-aw' vs. Mack-in-ACK'