55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

One thing I know for sure,,,,,,,,I have the ability to see, be inspired, JUMP in head first in projects that I LIKE, B4 I understand what all is involved.

Kind of goes with my loving, ( to do those things I don't know how to do ). My current arty piece is an example, 331 pieces, plus 129 copper rivets, 460 total pieces. Oh well, so far it's only taken 6-plus months of my life.

Loving every minute though,

Dale in Indy

A day late getting it to the PO Mud but should be to you Monday.. Just curious, the one I sent you has some surface rust and light pitting but nothing a bit of high build can't handle, would this particular area, top of headlight, be the same on a large series. I had a nicer one on a 55 Super I could have cut. I meant to have held the Century one up to the Super and answered my own question but forgot.

I'm sure it will be fine. I think any GM car of that era would work for a patch. Olds and Pontiac would work too.

• 2 weeks later...

Buick Saturday: I was out in the garage at 7:30 A.M. ready to get a lot done, and then I looked at the mess I left from the last two weekends. So I started cleaning and putting things away. I was then able to install my right side hood hinge spring and blasted the left one and got it painted. I started looking for hardware for the right inner and outer fender. The only thing I am missing is the front mount bolt for the inner fender. I will look at the left one and match it up. I came in about 5:00 P.M. I was Pooped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4QbBhDZTpo

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Coming soon!  Project 66R updates. As of now I am planning to take a day off next week to do some work on the 66R. I have a high spot on the right ¼ panel where I welded in a patch where the inner fender held water and rusted a small hole. A friend is coming over with his shrinking disc so we can get that ¼ ready for primer. We also plan on installing the hood so I can finish the fender door alignment.

• Like 4

We decided to work on the right rear quarter panel first. I welded in a patch years ago and warped the metal somewhat. I was not able get the high spots out with a hammer and dolly so we are using a shrinking disc. It took a while but we got it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, buick5563 said:

"You've got to be careful when you have another car sitting around...all of a sudden it becomes a parts car".

Mudbone

Yep.

Even with some pieces missing, if it runs & drives, I still consider it to be a 'work in progress'.  Once enough pieces come off such that it no longer drives -- then it's a parts car!  :o

On 11/13/2016 at 5:28 PM, Mudbone said:

I am getting ready to do some work on Project 66R. First I have to find the hood!

The hood rests right between the front fenders! I know, I asked my wife!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Buick Saturday: How many times can I take a fender off and on in one day?

I do not think many people understand this phenomenon (and they get less understanding if there is an hourly bill attached) - I spend hours and hours fitting things that had very decent alignment when I took them off and then when done and taken off to paint again then spend hours refitting (whole days often go by in process too). 

• Like 1