55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Guest Rob McDonald

There's a sunny side to a massive oil spill - if there's any rebar in your floor slab, it'll never rust. Mind you, that shouldn't be a concern for owners of cars equipped with Dynaflows.

Great! Let's write that down somewhere, because 4 quarts is marginal for priming if you forget to hook up the pressure gauge and some oil squirts 20 feet across the shop.

Willie

You win Willie; I put a notation on the video so someone doesn’t try starting their engine with only five quarts of oil in it. Now, is everyone happy?

<o:p></o:p>

“(Caution) A dry Nailhead takes a full 7 Quart's of oil. Be sure it is full before starting the engine. 5 Quarts was used just for static pre-lube.”

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

I found out the hard way when draining my oil. I had a nice 5qt drain pan. The other 2 qt...well....it just did not fit in the drain pan. :eek:

This reminds me of the woman I observed at the gas station last winter trying to" round up" the pump in a full 2 gallon gas can, which she then put into the back seat area of her car.

Two things strike me with this video: #1 What a color combo! Is the rook in primer or is it really red over green?

#2, that car looks exceptionally solid right out of the box. Why did you embark on this restoration?

Add to that the date, 1995. It's been a long time coming I guess, eh?

But a fun video, thanks for digging it up.

Two things strike me with this video: #1 What a color combo! Is the rook in primer or is it really red over green?

#2, that car looks exceptionally solid right out of the box. Why did you embark on this restoration?

Add to that the date, 1995. It's been a long time coming I guess, eh?

But a fun video, thanks for digging it up.

The original color code was Cherokee red on the roof and a turquoise body. The car looked much better than it was. The rocker panels had numerous pinholes that were covered with bondo. The bottom of the rear ¼ panels was bondo over newspaper. The green paint job didn’t have any primer under it and most of the trim had paint on them, as it was a quick mask job. I tinkered with the car for many years working on small areas at a time when about 4.5 years ago I decided that this car deserved a full restoration. Mud

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, I'm not so sure that your car's original scheme couldn't have worked but, Mud, you surely saved the world from something very unfortunate.

post-59990-143141788528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have what appears to be a twin to your engine hoist, does your come apart? I rented one, like it, and they told me who made it, so contacted them and they made one for me. Super HD unit. Just wondered.

Engine and stand looking very good.

Dale in Indy

I work for a rental company/Bobcat Dealer. (CSR Bobcat) It has it's perks. It belongs to the rental fleet. We use it at the shop all the time. It does not take up much space when you break it down and put it on the rolling stand.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Got your camera battery all charged up? Ear plugs are recommended, for you and your eager viewers.

Guest shadetree77

I think you should forget to put that muffler back on. Or maybe hide some of those fancy switch operated cutouts somewhere under there.:):cool:

• 1 month later...

Nice job Mud - sounds as good as it looks. You've really paid attention to the details in this rebuild - thanks for sharing and documenting the journey!

Here is the completed Carburetor. I still need to hook up the electric fuel pump and make sure the new style Daytona float valves are sealing and the accelerator pump is functioning. I also want the check the throttle start switch before I bolt it back on. All the external metal parts were clear coated. Now let’s hope it runs better at idle, Mud

post-50945-143141996757_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143141996769_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314199678_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314199679_thumb.jpg

post-50945-1431419968_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143141996812_thumb.jpg

Looking good Mud. I put those daytona style needle valves in my 56 Rochester 4 gc last year, and they seem to work very nicely. Where did you source that clear coat paint?