Mudbone

55 Century 66R Project

After working in the garage all day yesterday and part of today I came up with this comparison of vehicles. Sorry, I just had to do it…..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Am I ready to paint the roof?  (The paint showed up today and I am already getting nervous)

• Like 2

Trying to figure out how to reach the center of the roof. I think jack stands and a section of scaffolding will work perfect. It is very stable. I jumped around on it and it never moved. This will be a good test for my carpel tunnel surgery! I need to deep clean the garage and put up some new plastic. Hopefully I can shoot it next week.

20200404_095355.jpg

20200404_095406.jpg

• Like 2

I did similar for my 54 Super.  And let some air out of the tires...

• Like 1

@Mudbone 

sure wish I had your energy!  Good luck with the top coat! 

I am a little sore this morning, and I’m not quite done. (It did require one afternoon nap!

Ha ha. I don't know if you can do this in your neighborhood but I suggest prepping it outside and starting painting there, one hour before the bugs come out. Helps if there is a light breeze that day and you can position it in some shade.  

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Ha ha. I don't know if you can do this in your neighborhood but I suggest prepping it outside and starting painting there, one hour before the bugs come out. Helps if there is a light breeze that day and you can position it in some shade.  

I thought about that. I don’t think I want my new neighbor to know what I am doing in there. All the old neighbors have seen it all and have not complained. The weather is very unpredictable around here, the chance of having good weather next weekend is slim.

What paint system are you using?  "Maybe' you could paint outside if using lacquer (but please don't).

Base  coat, clear coat with light grey epoxy sealer for the base.

Evil forces are trying to prevent me from painting the roof Saturday. I stopped at the bank to withdraw some cash out of the Buick account to cover the parts and paint I just bought. As I go to leave, the Tahoe is acting strange. I had to give it extra gas to get it to go. After a few blocks. I could smell brake pads! I pulled over and found the right front is smoking. I let it cool down awhile and made it home. I took the HHR up to auto parts and spent another $490.00 on front brakes! How was your afternoon?

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, old-tank said:

What paint system are you using?  "Maybe' you could paint outside if using lacquer (but please don't).

Illinois weather. Hail storm, next day 75* The next morning 35* with high winds. Tonight having supper High winds with snowflakes, Tomorrow and Saturday ???????

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Sad 2

Sealer is on!  90 minute wait for base coat. (I only fell off the scaffolding once!)

20200411_110410.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

First coat of base coat on! Waiting between coats……

20200411_125818.jpg

• Like 2

Second coat of clear, one more to go..... I hope I don't screw it up at this point!

20200411_160726.jpg

• Like 3

The clock says you have been at it for 5 hours....

With all of the dry times in between coats and stages, and cleaning guns, that's probably not unrealistic.

This is not a how to paint training video. If you have the $$$$, make the call and write the dang check!

This is for entertainment purposes only!

7 hours in 7 minutes!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

@Mudbone Thanks for the great video.  You may want to revisit the part of the video where you walked off the end of the scaffold for America's Funniest Home Videos.   May be 10K to help boost the Buick Build  fund in it.  😁

Also, you may have considered this already, but after wet sanding, lay down at least one more coat of clear. and then see how it looks.  And watching the video  it was interested to see just how far the overspray was blowing.  As far as I remember the air pressure for a HLVP gun, like you used, is very minimal.  I want to say 10 lbs of air, but I may be wrong about that.  It's been a while since I ventured down this road and I am just an amateur dabbler in this art too.  And even with 10 lbs there is still some overspray.  May I ask, what pressure did you use?

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Looks great, Mud!  Don't sweat the orange peel.  It is never going to lay completely flat. 

For wet sanding, start with 1000 grit wrapped around a Durablock like the one in the photo I am attaching (using a block like this eliminates those "ripples" created when using your bare hands).  Then move to 2000.  Use your palm for the curved areas.  If you want to go further, it just makes buffing easier.  Depending on your buffing method, other grits may be used.  But 3000 is as far as I go, on a DA hook and loop disc.  I use a rotary buffer.  I do see a lot of people moving to orbital buffers, but you basically have to go all the way to 5000 or 8000 grit on those.

3 good coats of clear should give you plenty of material to take off to completely eliminate the orange peel and any dust that got in.

durablock.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

• Like 2