55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my neighbor (Body Shop Owner) to get some paint prices for the Red. Here is what he sent me. (Copy and pasted) (I may need two Gallons to be safe or for future repairs)

paint price omni the label you sent    $267.70  @ gallon

shopline premium (better omni)         353.70  @ gallon

PPG DBC                                            $1306.00  @ gallon  ( holy crap!!)

Whoa!  But do you really need two gallons?  Isn't it usually mixed 50/50 with reducer thus making two gallons out of one?  No point in having $267.70 sitting on the shelf for multiple years and then finding it to be spent when you may possibly need it. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Whoa!  But do you really need two gallons?  Isn't it usually mixed 50/50 with reducer thus making two gallons out of one?  No point in having $267.70 sitting on the shelf for multiple years and then finding it to be spent when you may possibly need it. 

Have you watched my videos? I screw up a lot.  Not sure yet how much to get but I will be using the Shop line. I think I have enough left from doing the firewall I could do the interior of the trunk. Most of that will be covered up anyway.

If you're using PPG shopline, just use DC4000 clear.  It's under $500 a gallon including hardener.  $1300 a gallon for clear is pretty tough.  The base prices are in line.

You can get away with a less expensive base if you use a quality clear with good UV protection.  Stick with the same brand base-to-clear.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know the old saying that the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time….

I was very tired and not feeling the best Saturday morning and I started thinking about this huge elephant I have in my garage. (The Buick) I was starting to get overwhelmed by how much I have yet to do. So I when back in the house and started looking at all the restoration photos, and realized I was on the home stretch. I went back out and started working on covering up the roof and when Sue got up we moved the hood outside and started sanding.... One bite at a time…… One bite at a time……

20200926_112430.jpg

20200926_112441.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I was very tired and not feeling the best Saturday morning and I started thinking about this huge elephant I have in my garage. (The Buick) I was starting to get overwhelmed by how much I have yet to do. So I when back in the house and started looking at all the restoration photos, and realized I was on the home stretch. I went back out and started working on covering up the roof and when Sue got up we moved the hood outside and started sanding.... One bite at a time…… One bite at a time……

20200926_112430.jpg

20200926_112441.jpg

Huge respect for the work you are doing. I can only imagine the amount of work needed to do the body and paint work yourself, but the satisfaction when you piece by piece eat the elephant must be good. All projects have to go through the valley of despair, keep chipping away. Huge respect.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mudbone said:

20200926_112430.jpg

20200926_112441.jpg

When the project is in paint the end is near!   

My wife got me good yesterday. I was searching for my wire harnesses to see if any repairs were needed. I could not find the main engine harness and then I realized I left it connected to the dash board when I pulled it out. Then I found the interior harness. I showed it to my wife and she said I hope you plan on replacing that! Why I said it will clean up and there are no broken wires and no one will ever see it. Then she got me…  Then why did you spend so much time on the under seat heater if no one is ever going to see it?  Bam, Got Ya!  (Wow, that Hurt!)

20201004_151831.jpg

20200323_124500.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 10/4/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mudbone said:

My wife got me good yesterday. I was searching for my wire harnesses to see if any repairs were needed. I could not find the main engine harness and then I realized I left it connected to the dash board when I pulled it out. Then I found the interior harness. I showed it to my wife and she said I hope you plan on replacing that! Why I said it will clean up and there are no broken wires and no one will ever see it. Then she got me…  Then why did you spend so much time on the under seat heater if no one is ever going to see it?  Bam, Got Ya!  (Wow, that Hurt!)

20201004_151831.jpg

20200323_124500.jpg

Women! Gotta love 'em.     

That heater does not look much different than mine. Wonder if the blower motor will interchange!

Ben

On 10/4/2020 at 4:42 PM, Mudbone said:

You cleaned up the under seat heater because like me...you would lay awake at night knowing the heater was not restored to the best that it could be.  Sure no one sees it...but you do in your minds eye. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, Mudbone said:

I have been starting the 322 Nail head up about every three months or so to keep fresh gas in the carburetor and keeping the oil on internal components.

Lets be real here.  You just want to hear it run!   I don't blame you.  I do the same with mine!   She is coming along nicely! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally figured out that I could put end screens on my videos that would direct the viewer to the next video in sequence.  If you want to skip the video that is showing and want to see what is next, just skip to the end and then click on the next video in line. So far I have just done the engine rebuild.  (Unfortunately you will realize how long I have been working on this thing!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those are ingenius stands Mudbone, but I am surprised that you didn't just keep the doors there and paint the inside of them at the same time as the cowl.  I  am sure you have your reasons and my comment is just an observation not a critique.  

On 1/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Those are ingenius stands Mudbone, but I am surprised that you didn't just keep the doors there and paint the inside of them at the same time as the cowl.  I  am sure you have your reasons and my comment is just an observation not a critique.  

I have thought this over a hundred times and it comes down to time and space. I think I have looked at this too long already. I don’t want to paint parts and have them lay around and get scratched or damaged. Current plan is to paint the cowl and door jambs down to the two tone line. Then go through the dash board and install it and get everything under the hood done so when the hood, fenders and doors are panted they can go on the car. Then I won’t have to lay over top the fenders to connect all the wiring and hoses. (Also it will be drivable at this point and I can test drive it)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got a late start this morning but Everything is sanded and I just started taping. I need to give it a thin coat of epoxy primer and a thin coat of primer surfacer and then I will guide coat the exposed areas and hopefully next week I can put the red on the cowl. I have had my serial number tag taped over since it was sandblasted. I pulled the tape off and found the green paint on it. After I removed the paint with lacquer thinner I noticed some scratches in it. So of course I had to get my Dremel tool out with a little buffing wheel and buff that little sucker out. Looks Good!

20210116_130515.jpg

20210116_140159.jpg

20210116_140205.jpg

20210116_152048.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The sealer and the primer went on smooth. If the guide coat and sanding goes well maybe I can paint it yet this week. I am planning on buying the $$ paint on Monday. I no longer put a dollar value on parts and supplies, I just estimate how many home inspections I need to do!

20210116_175222.jpg

20210116_175227.jpg

20210116_195111.jpg

20210116_195121.jpg

• Like 3

I just stopped by the auto parts store where I get my paint. The Torch red (Cherokee Red) has been mixed. Good thing I stopped today. Kelly the only guy that has been trained for mixing paint is leaving Friday to go work for another Auto parts store in town. They have been working his A$$ off without much help and he had enough. He is also giving me body shop price for the paint so it won't be as bad as I thought. They use to give me body shop price years ago but new management put an end to it. I will pick it up tomorrow along with the clear coat. I'm having an Anxiety attack!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1